Can the Soul Die?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word “soul” in the Bible is a translation of the Hebrew word neʹphesh and the Greek word psy·kheʹ. The Hebrew word literally means “a creature that breathes,” and the Greek word means “a living being.” Many Bible translations render the words neʹphesh and psy·kheʹ differently according to the context, using words such as soul, life, person, creature, or body.

"And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." (Genesis 2:7)

Adam wasn't given a soul as many religions teach, but rather, Adam, Became a Living Soul. Notice how others translated this verse @ (Genesis 2:7) | New International Version Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

• Young's Literal Translation And Jehovah God formeth the man -- dust from the ground, and breatheth into his nostrils breath of life, and the man becometh a living creature.
  • American Standard Version And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
  • World English Bible Yahweh God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
  • NWT And Jehovah God went on to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living person.

The punishment for disobedience was Death, not an eternal life of punishment. "But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will certainly die.” (Genesis 2:17)

• "In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.”(Genesis 3:19)
  • The soul that sinneth, it shall die.” —Ezekiel 18: 4, 20, King James Version.

“Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.” (Exodus 31:14 KJV)

Note:
Although many Bible translations use the terms “dead body” or “dead person” in some verses, the original Hebrew uses the word neʹphesh, or “soul.”

Many Religions teach that the soul never dies. It that was true, then the Resurrection would be an unnecessary act.
  • Jesus said to her: “Your brother will rise.” Martha said to him: “I know he will rise in the resurrection on the last day.” (John 11:23-25)
  • The Apostles Paul also stated, "And I have hope toward God, which hope these men also look forward to, that there is going to be a Resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous." (Acts 24:15) Is There Hope for the Dead?

All the above, including those small references to the New Testament, is based solely on the Old Testament idea that the soul part is a material thing associated with flesh life. That is a traditional JEWISH belief that the Jews have held for centuries, i.e., that the soul does not continue in life after flesh death, i.e., that it is in the grave with dead bones and will only have life again in the resurrection.

I say again, all that above belief is from JUDAISM. It has been taught in the Christian Church too by those Judaizers converts from the Pharisees, like the ones Apostle Paul had to deal with in Galatians. That is the origin of the 'dead in the ground' theory.

The New Testament reveals that 'dead in the ground' idea is an idea from men, not God's Word. Here's why:

1. firstly, God's Word is NOT just the Old Testament Books. The New Testament reveals more detail about many things only hinted at in the Old Testament. The nature of the soul and what the resurrection body is are two topics given more detail in the New Testament Books.

2. by omitting relevant New Testament Scripture evidence about the soul or personality continuing after flesh death shows an attempt to deceive. Such evidence is in Matthew 10:28; Luke 23:42-43; Luke 16:19-31, and Jesus speaking with Moses and Elias (Elijah) upon the mount of transfiguration in Matthew 17, all examples of the soul's continued existence by our Lord Jesus Christ; 2 Corinthians 5; Philippians 1:23-24; 1 Corinthians 15; 2 Corinthians 12, by Apostle Paul; 1 Peter 3 & 4 about Jesus preaching to the "spirits in prison" at His resurrection, etc.

3. and thirdly, by their lack of understanding of what type body the 'resurrection' is, per 1 Corinthians 15:42-54; 2 Corinthians 5; and especially Mark 12:24-27 by Lord Jesus that those of the resurrection are as the angels of God in Heaven.

Here is what Charles Spurgeon said about Moses and Elijah appearing, and speaking with Lord Jesus:

Matthew 17:3
And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with Him.

"Thus the Law and the Prophets, “Moses and Elias”, communed with our Lord, “talking with him”; and entering into familiar conversation with their Lord. Saints long departed still live; live in their personality; are known by their names; and enjoy near access to Christ. It is a great joy to holy ones to be with Jesus: they find it heaven to be where they can talk with him. The heads of former dispensations conversed with the Lord as to his decease, by which a new economy would be ushered in. After condescending so long to his ignorant followers, it must have been a great relief to the human soul of Jesus to talk with two master-minds like those of Moses and Elijah. What a sight for the apostles, this glorious trio! They “appeared unto them”, but they “talked with him”: the object of the two holy ones was not to converse with apostles, but with their Master. Although saints are seen of men, their fellowship is with Jesus."
(from Commentary on Matthew, by Charles Spurgeon. Biblesoft Formatted Electronic Database Copyright © 2014 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

Reactions: GEN2REV

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Richman and Lazarus is a parable.

No it is not.

Parables are recognized for they use terms to make comparisons. Such words are :
"likened unto" "is as", is like" "can be compared" and other such terms used to make comparisons. The parables were used to hide the truth of the kingdom from th emasses.

Matthew 13:10-15
King James Version

10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

After the events of Matthew 12- Jesus only spoke to the crowds in parables to hide truth from them.

But why is Lazarus and the rich man a true account.

1. Jesus used no comparative terms to compare one thing with another.
2. Jesus said "there was a man". This would be the only parable Jesus said there was.
3. This would be the only parable where He used names.
4. Abrahams Bosom/Paradise and the place of torments were well known and accepted beliefs in Jesus day! Belief in the afterlife developed c. 7th century B.C. Only the Saducees rejected life after death until the resurrection. This true account does teach us many things, but not by comparison as the parables do.

Reactions: GEN2REV

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the above, including those small references to the New Testament, is based solely on the Old Testament idea that the soul part is a material thing associated with flesh life. That is a traditional JEWISH belief that the Jews have held for centuries, i.e., that the soul does not continue in life after flesh death, i.e., that it is in the grave with dead bones and will only have life again in the resurrection.

I say again, all that above belief is from JUDAISM. It has been taught in the Christian Church too by those Judaizers converts from the Pharisees, like the ones Apostle Paul had to deal with in Galatians. That is the origin of the 'dead in the ground' theory.

The New Testament reveals that 'dead in the ground' idea is an idea from men, not God's Word. Here's why:

1. firstly, God's Word is NOT just the Old Testament Books. The New Testament reveals more detail about many things only hinted at in the Old Testament. The nature of the soul and what the resurrection body is are two topics given more detail in the New Testament Books.

2. by omitting relevant New Testament Scripture evidence about the soul or personality continuing after flesh death shows an attempt to deceive. Such evidence is in Matthew 10:28; Luke 23:42-43; Luke 16:19-31, and Jesus speaking with Moses and Elias (Elijah) upon the mount of transfiguration in Matthew 17, all examples of the soul's continued existence by our Lord Jesus Christ; 2 Corinthians 5; Philippians 1:23-24; 1 Corinthians 15; 2 Corinthians 12, by Apostle Paul; 1 Peter 3 & 4 about Jesus preaching to the "spirits in prison" at His resurrection, etc.

3. and thirdly, by their lack of understanding of what type body the 'resurrection' is, per 1 Corinthians 15:42-54; 2 Corinthians 5; and especially Mark 12:24-27 by Lord Jesus that those of the resurrection are as the angels of God in Heaven.

Here is what Charles Spurgeon said about Moses and Elijah appearing, and speaking with Lord Jesus:

Matthew 17:3
And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with Him.

"Thus the Law and the Prophets, “Moses and Elias”, communed with our Lord, “talking with him”; and entering into familiar conversation with their Lord. Saints long departed still live; live in their personality; are known by their names; and enjoy near access to Christ. It is a great joy to holy ones to be with Jesus: they find it heaven to be where they can talk with him. The heads of former dispensations conversed with the Lord as to his decease, by which a new economy would be ushered in. After condescending so long to his ignorant followers, it must have been a great relief to the human soul of Jesus to talk with two master-minds like those of Moses and Elijah. What a sight for the apostles, this glorious trio! They “appeared unto them”, but they “talked with him”: the object of the two holy ones was not to converse with apostles, but with their Master. Although saints are seen of men, their fellowship is with Jesus."
(from Commentary on Matthew, by Charles Spurgeon. Biblesoft Formatted Electronic Database Copyright © 2014 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)
None of the passages you cited suggest that the soul is immortal or that people exist as disembodied souls after death.

Reactions: FDS

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of the passages you cited suggest that the soul is immortal or that people exist as disembodied souls after death.
You couldn't be more wrong.

Along with the ample evidence from Davy's post, I will add:

"And when he had opened the fifth seal (taking place in the spirit realm), I saw under the altar the souls (living souls) of them that were slain (physical bodies dead) for the Word of God, ..."
Revelation 6:9
" ... and I saw the souls (living souls) of them that were beheaded (physical bodies dead) ... which had not worshipped the beast (in their previous physical lives) ... and they lived and reigned with Christ ..."
Revelation 20:4

This relatively new movement, to claim and spread woefully False Doctrine that Jesus' soul did not survive Crucifixion and that the human soul is the physical body and does not survive the first death, is one of the most preposterous attempts to derail and discredit the Word of God that I have ever witnessed.

Utter shame is upon those who peddle such absolute blasphemy.

Reactions: Abaxvahl

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You couldn't be more wrong.

Along with the ample evidence from Davy's post, I will add:

"And when he had opened the fifth seal (taking place in the spirit realm), I saw under the altar the souls (living souls) of them that were slain (physical bodies dead) for the Word of God, ..."
Revelation 6:9
" ... and I saw the souls (living souls) of them that were beheaded (physical bodies dead) ... which had not worshipped the beast (in their previous physical lives) ... and they lived and reigned with Christ ..."
Revelation 20:4

This relatively new movement, to claim and spread woefully False Doctrine that Jesus' soul did not survive Crucifixion and that the human soul is the physical body and does not survive the first death, is one of the most preposterous attempts to derail and discredit the Word of God that I have ever witnessed.

Utter shame is upon those who peddle such absolute blasphemy.
The passage you cite is symbolic.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only when it doesn't support your campaign.
It's really simple. The souls are pictured under the alter. What is normally put under the alter? The blood of sacrifices. Exodus 29:12

Is "blood" ever used symbolically for an outcry of justice, as pictured in Revelation 6? Yes. Genesis 4:10, Hebrews 12:4

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's really simple. The souls are pictured under the alter. What is normally put under the alter? The blood of sacrifices. Exodus 29:12

Is "blood" ever used symbolically for an outcry of justice, as pictured in Revelation 6? Yes. Genesis 4:10, Hebrews 12:4

I'll tell you a thing even more simple: a thing being real and a thing being a symbol are in no way contrary to one another. Jesus is real and Jesus is the Lamb of God. But another direct proof of this is Galatians 4:

"For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the female slave and one by the free woman. But the one by the female slave was born according to human descent, and the one by the free woman through the promise, which things are spoken allegorically, for these women are two covenants, one from Mount Sinai, bearing children for slavery, who is Hagar. Now Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is a slave with her children. But the Jerusalem above is free, which is our mother."

So Hagar and Sarah are symbols while also being real persons (unless you doubt the history present in Genesis). So saying "it's symbolic" in no way refutes the point of @GEN2REV and it certainly doesn't prove yours. Try again.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, real things can be used as symbols for other ideas. The question on the table is whether a soul can die. Revelation 6:9 can be understood as a bodiless existence except for the fact that the souls are located under an alter, given while robes and told to rest. What aspect or feature of a human being wears a robe? Surely it is the body that wears the robe. No?

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Your claim, that the verses cited in my post were symbolic, is absurd.

The entire chapter of Revelation 6 does not in any way imply, or state, what you are suggesting. Blood is physical, the entire chapter takes place in the spirit.

Exodus 29:12 describes procedures for a physical sacrifice.

Genesis 4:10 is LITERAL. The life/spirit is in the blood. The blood of Abel LITERALLY cried out to God, in the spirit, for justice.

Hebrews 12:4 doesn't even apply in any way whatsoever.

None of your explanation makes even the thinnest case against the verses presented by Davy or myself.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, real things can be used as symbols for other ideas. The question on the table is whether a soul can die. Revelation 6:9 can be understood as a bodiless existence except for the fact that the souls are located under an alter, given while robes and told to rest. What aspect or feature of a human being wears a robe? Surely it is the body that wears the robe. No?
1 Corinthians 15:40-48

Bodies in heaven/the spirit realm are not physical bodies like we have now.

And how does the boldened part of your post prove, in any way, that souls can die?

You claim in post #346 & 348 that the verses are simply making symbolic references. Then in post #350 you claim their bodies must be physical to wear robes?

Which is it? Did it take place or was it just a symbolic reference?

Last edited:

FDS

Sep 14, 2021
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And how does the boldened part of your post prove, in any way, that souls can die?

Oh my! Can someone help this poor soul who has lost his way? “The notion of the soul surviving after death is not readily discernible in the Bible.”—New Catholic Encyclopedia.

Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die. Ezekiel 18:4

For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not anything, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Ecclesiastes 9:5

FDS

Sep 14, 2021
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No it is not.

Parables are recognized for they use terms to make comparisons. Such words are :
"likened unto" "is as", is like" "can be compared" and other such terms used to make comparisons. The parables were used to hide the truth of the kingdom from th emasses.

Matthew 13:10-15
King James Version

10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

After the events of Matthew 12- Jesus only spoke to the crowds in parables to hide truth from them.

But why is Lazarus and the rich man a true account.

1. Jesus used no comparative terms to compare one thing with another.
2. Jesus said "there was a man". This would be the only parable Jesus said there was.
3. This would be the only parable where He used names.
4. Abrahams Bosom/Paradise and the place of torments were well known and accepted beliefs in Jesus day! Belief in the afterlife developed c. 7th century B.C. Only the Saducees rejected life after death until the resurrection. This true account does teach us many things, but not by comparison as the parables do.

Yes, the Richman and Lazarus is a parable. Jesus only spoke to the crowds in parables to hide truth from them.
And his disciples asked him what this parable might be. And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to the rest in parables; that seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand. Luke 8:9-10

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my! Can someone help this poor soul who has lost his way? “The notion of the soul surviving after death is not readily discernible in the Bible.”New Catholic Encyclopedia.
You use a quote from a Catholic Encyclopedia to bolster your case that I'm a lost soul?
That's rich.
I mean if the New Catholic Encyclopedia says it, ... guess I'd better make amends.
Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die. Ezekiel 18:4
I don't personally subscribe to eternal hell. Souls survive physical/bodily death, but those that are damned are destroyed in my understanding of scripture.

Although, on a side note, I am of the opinion that those who make commitments to demons do likely suffer, possibly eternally, in the lake of fire along with the demons they have committed their souls to. After all, hell wasn't made for man. If you consciously choose to do the works of darkness, you may very likely end up where your dark master does.

We all go where our master ultimately goes.
For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not anything, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Ecclesiastes 9:5
Souls sleep after physical/bodily death. Which is why God tells the souls under the alter to rest a while longer.
Yes, the Richman and Lazarus is a parable. Jesus only spoke to the crowds in parables to hide truth from them.
And his disciples asked him what this parable might be. And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to the rest in parables; that seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand. Luke 8:9-10
Jesus wasn't addressing any crowds. He was speaking directly to the evil Pharisees and explaining why, and how, they were not right with God. He shares a STORY with them, not a parable, about the Rich Man and Lazarus. It is very easy to discern that it is not a parable because He doesn't preface it with "the kingdom of heaven is like" or comparing one concept to another. It's very obvious for those who aren't looking for fodder to support water-thin False Doctrine.

Luke 16:14-31 Anybody curious can check it out for themselves.

Reactions: Truman

FDS

Sep 14, 2021
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my goodness sakes dear! This poor soul is drowning and gasping for air. I don't think he's going to make it. Do you think I should tell him to stand up? Or should I walk away and not watch the tragedy that is going on?

Jesus wasn't addressing any crowds. He was speaking directly to the evil Pharisees and explaining why, and how, they were not right with God. He shares a STORY with them, not a parable, about the Rich Man and Lazarus. It is very easy to discern that it is not a parable because He doesn't preface it with "the kingdom of heaven is like" or comparing one concept to another. It's very obvious for those who aren't looking for fodder to support water-thin False Doctrine.

Jesus wasn't addressing any crowds. He was speaking directly to the evil Pharisees and explaining why, and how, they were not right with God.
  • The crowds were the evil Pharisees who he later condemed as hyprocrites and offspring of vipers.

He shares a STORY with them, not a parable, about the Rich Man and Lazarus.
  • Parables are short stories used to convey a moral message. Some of the most famous parables come from Christianity.

It is very easy to discern that it is not a parable because He doesn't preface it with "the kingdom of heaven is like" or comparing one concept to another.
  • Similes use the words like or as to compare things—“Life is like a box of chocolates.”

So basic and yet, it is so difficult for those who claim to see when they have been struck with blindiness. Who does Jesus strike with blindness, the righteous or the unrighteous?

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well then He did a lousy job here. for i t was common knowledge of the place of torments and paradise. And no this was not a parable. all paraqbles used a comparative term such as: "such as" "likened unto", "is as" etc. He also used earthly things to compare heavenly things. Like fields, and seeds, and pearls and leaven etc. This also names two specific people. No other parable names anyone. This also says "There was a man". Jesus created grammar and never misspoke, why would He say there was a man if there was not?

Also if He was hiding the truth- what was the teaching of this parable given that He mentioned truths that were common Jewish knowledge- even to the Sadducees who did not belief in life after death until the resurrection.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your claim, that the verses cited in my post were symbolic, is absurd.
My comment about a verse being symbolic was directed at the one in Revelation. My actual claim is that none of the verses you cited prove that the soul is immortal.

The entire chapter of Revelation 6 does not in any way imply, or state, what you are suggesting. Blood is physical, the entire chapter takes place in the spirit.
There is nothing in the text of Revelation chapter 6 to suggest that the verse is taking place "in the spirit" or "in a spiritual realm."
Hebrews 12:4 doesn't even apply in any way whatsoever.
Did I say Hebrews 12:4? My apologies. I meant Hebrews 11:4

I intended to offer you an example of an anthropomorphism wherein a man's blood is given his voice. In this case, Abel's blood cries out from the ground. Such is a figure of speech in which a phrase is applied to an object, blood in this case, to which it is not literally true. Blood doesn't actually talk.

None of your explanation makes even the thinnest case against the verses presented by Davy or myself.
I never suspected that you would be convinced. I hoped you might think about it a bit though.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 15:40-48

Bodies in heaven/the spirit realm are not physical bodies like we have now.

You claim in post #346 & 348 that the verses are simply making symbolic references. Then in post #350 you claim their bodies must be physical to wear robes?

Which is it? Did it take place or was it just a symbolic reference?
I'm sorry. I thought you might think about my posts before responding. It appears to me that you are not.

The concept of an immortal soul comes from the Greek Philosophers who believed in a dichotomy between the spiritual and the non-spiritual. (Refer to the List below.) During the early days of the Christian church, early converts to Christianity brought this philosophical assumption with them and began to interpret the Bible through the lenses of these glasses. They didn't find this assumption in the Bible, they brought it with them. Many of us were raised to think in these terms and so it is a real challenge for Bible students to shed this assumption in order to hear what the Biblical authors are trying to say to us. Your view that the soul is eternal comes from this dichotomy, not from the Bible.

Spiritual ----------Non-spiritual
Immaterial--------Material
Good--------------Bad / evil
Beautiful----------Non-beautiful
Perfect------------Imperfect
Real---------------Unreal
Unchangeable----Changeable
One---------------Many
Simple------------Composite
Rational-----------Non-rational
Eternal------------Non-eternal
Immortal---------Mortal
Universal---------Particular
Infinite-----------Finite

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Also if He was hiding the truth- what was the teaching of this parable
Why did Jesus give the poor man the name Lazarus? Because the name means "whom God helps".

Here's an article (fairly long) about this parable that I downloaded about 21 years ago:

The Rich Man and Lazarus
Luke 16:19-31

It is evident from the whole setting of this passage that it is a parable. Otherwise the logical lesson to be drawn from it is that unless we are poor
beggars, full of sores, we will never enter eternal bliss; and that future torment will be our portion if we happen to wear fine linen and purple and fare sumptuously every day. And, if taken literally, those who are poor are taken, not to heaven, but to Abraham's bosom. However, the context of this passage shows that Christ in this parable was teaching a great dispensational truth, namely, the change of favor from the Mosaic Law Covenant to the Covenant of faith. (Luke 16:16-18; Galatians 3:6-29) If you read carefully the 32nd chapter of Deuteronomy, you will see that Jesus was merely repeating in vivid pictorial language what Moses had already said. See particularly verses 20 to 29; and also Paul's quotation of the 21st verse in Romans 10:19, where he shows that Moses' prophecy referred to the overthrow of Israel consequent upon Jesus' rejection of that nation.

Jesus was evidently drawing upon something that was in the real world, the apostate Jewish belief which blended the Grecian philosophies into the Bible. The Jewish leaders knew of these beliefs and it was the Jewish leaders that he was addressing. He used their own beliefs, not to condone their apostate beliefs, but to illustrate the change he had just spoken of: "The law and the prophets were until John." -- Luke 16:16.

Some other reasons that this story should be viewed as a parable:

To think that Jesus was supporting the idea of eternal roasting after death by use of this parable is contrary to God's justice, for justice demanded the forfeiture of man's life for sin (Genesis 2:17), for "the wages of sin is death" (Romans 6:23), and of God it is said (Psalm 145:20): "all the wicked will he destroy." Therefore, it would be an infraction of God's justice for him to preserve the wicked and eternally torture them.

Additionally, such a conclusion violates God's wisdom, for wisdom devises plans which useful ends are attained. There is surely no useful purpose in keeping the rich man eternally in a place of torture.

Of course, the parable says nothing about Lazarus remaining in hades for eternity, but as Revelation 20:13 shows, all in hades will be brought back for the judgment day, and then hades will be destroyed in the lake of fire. -- Revelation 20:14; See also Hosea 13:14.

If the Rich Man were in literal flames in hades, this could contradict the entire testimony of the rest of the Bible, which shows that sheol/hades is
nothingness, oblivion, silence, destruction. -- Ecclesiastes 9:10; Psalm 6:5; 115:17; 146:3,4; Isaiah 38:18; 63:16; Job 14:21; etc. This has been showned throughout this publication.

It would contradict God's stated purpose to bless mankind. -- Genesis 12:1-3.

It would contradict the ransom, which is clearly taught, for example, in 1 Corinthians 15:3,21,22, Hebrews 2:9; 1 Timothy 2:6, which scriptures teach that Christ died (not suffered eternal torment) for our sins according to the Hebrew scriptures. The prophecy of Isaiah 53:4-12 shows that our Lord would bear our penalty (which is death -- Genesis 2:17; Romans 6:23 -- not eternal torment), pouring out his soul to death. The effect of this ransom is to be the salvation of all men, not the eternal torture of the vast majority. (1 Timothy 4:10; 1 John 2:2).

The rich man of the parable represented the proud and self-righteous of the Jewish nation in our Savior's time, seeking righteousness by means of the Law Covenant. (Galatians 2:21; Philippians 3:9; Romans 9:31,32) The Pharisees seem to be particularly represented by the Rich Man. (Luke 16:14,15) The scribes and Pharisees sat in Moses seat' (Matthew 23:2) as the religious leaders and representatives in Israel. (Matthew 23:5-7) The Rich Man's clothing of purple and fine linen represented the honors and privileges accorded to the scribes and Pharisees. (Matthew 23:5-7) The fine linen represented the self-righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, which they claimed by the Law. (John 9:40,41) The purple clothing represented royalty -- not only was purple the royal color in our Savior's day, but we still speak of royal purple. (Judges 8:26; John 19:2,3; Mark 15:17,18) The scribes and Pharisees were sitting in Moses' seat, therefore they had the purple in the sense that to it belonged the honor of being the typical Kingdom of God, and the promises respecting the future dominion of God as the Kingdom of God. The abundance of food upon the Rich Man's table represented the abundance of divine promises and blessings and instructions given to the scribes and Pharisees. (Romans 9:4,5) It was this table of divine favors that the apostle referred to saying: "What advantage does the Jew have? Much in every way, chiefly because to them were committed the oracles of God." (Romans 3:1-3) This was the table respecting which the prophet and the apostle spoke concerning Israel: "Let their table become a trap and a snare to them." (Romans 11:9) In other words, the very bounties and blessings of God's revelations or oracles tended to make them not humble, but proud, and ultimately assisted in their stumbling and rejection of the Savior due to their insistence of their righteousness by works of the Law. -- Romans 9:30-32.

The scribes and Pharisees would not so much as eat with any they considered as sinners. (Matthew 9:11) They viewed Jewish sinners the same as if they were Gentiles, without law. Those who accepted the Messiah's teachings were of this lowly Jewish class. Matthew, one of his apostles, was a tax collector, others were common fishermen. (Matthew 10:3; Mark 1:16,19) None of them were recognized by the religious aristocracy of the time. They were looked down upon, declared not to be heirs with the holy Pharisees and educated Scribes and Doctors of the Law. The Pharisees even determined that Jesus himself was not only a friend of publicans and sinners but an injurious person who must not be allowed to live. (Matthew 12:14) From the Jewish leaders' standpoint Jesus and his followers were all outside the gates, excluded from the special privileges and blessings of God through the "righteousness" Law. These lowly Jewish followers of Jesus were the first of the Lazarus class.

The Lazarus class also later included those Gentiles of humble heart who accepted Jesus, thus becoming Jews inwardly and participants in the Abrahamic promises. (Colossians 3:11; Galatians 3:28,29; Romans 2:28,29; 10:12) As an illustration of how these fed on the crumbs that fell from the Rich Man's table let us remember Jesus' words to the Syrophenician woman, a Gentile who came to him entreating for the healing of her daughter. Our Master, to illustrate the relative position of the Jews and Gentiles from God's standpoint, said to her: "It is not proper to take the children's bread and give it to the dogs." (Matthew 15:26) In other words, Jesus was saying: It would not be proper for me to devote my time and energies to the blessing of yourself and daughter, who are Gentiles, because the Jewish nation is by covenant in the favored place with God. Any special blessings and favors that God has to give must be given to them first of all. Non- Jews are not to expect to get the favors I was sent to give to Israel.' We remember his words to the disciples also: "Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, for I am not sent but to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." Matthew 15:24

The message and blessings and opportunities could not go to the Gentiles until first they had been offered to the Jewish table (occupied by the Rich Man) and had been rejected by all except a remnant the Jewish Lazarus class who would seek righteousness by faith. (John 1:11,12; Romans 1:15; 2:9,10; 11:5; Matthew 22:3-10) But mark that as Lazarus got some of the "crumbs," according to the parable, so did the Syrophenician woman. She exclaimed: "True, Lord. Yet the dogs eat of the crumbs that fall from their masters' table." (Matthew 15:27; Mark 7:28) Jesus answered her: "'O woman, your faith is great. Let it be to you even as thou desire.' And her daughter was made whole from that very hour." (Matthew 15:28) Jesus gave her the crumb of faith from the children's table -- the table being occupied by the Rich Man.

(To be continued.)