How to debate the Bible: for beginners

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, they will say, "you can be holy."

I think they see it as a possibility because they read that if they abide in Him, they won't sin. Even if they think its highly unlikely that they could ever have that kind of extreme trust, they read that with God all things are possible, So they hope.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They realize and admit the truth about themselves. They have some humility and don't claim they are something they aren't.
This is the best meaning to humility I can think of.

If we accept the truth about ourselves, humility is the result, because we are base, to say the least.

Much love!

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Righteous men do what is right
Again I'd have to question, who then will ever be accepted by God under these terms? So long as we are in this flesh there is a conflict. No one is accepted. The moment of less than love and trust is sin. Like Soloman said, who is there that does not sin?

In Christ we do not sin, as we abide in Him. But remember if righteousness is the standard, that IS the standard, and everyone falls short of that.

Paul even wrote that he did not consider himself there yet.

This is the very reason God gives us a new nature in our new creation, and as we are born from God, we are no longer the one who was born from Adam.

OK, gotta get going . . . Again, I appreciate the conversation!

Much love!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, Psalms 86:2 may be an exception to your rule (the Psalmist calling himself holy).

Maybe. I rather think it maybe isn't the best translation in KJV but I don't know for absolute sure. At any rate, I don't think the psalmist was saying he was just like God, unless the Holy Spirit was speaking of Jesus there, which is a distinct possibility.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, they will say, "you can be holy."
God has made us holy. Our walk is by faith and not by sight, the just will life by faith, why? Why not sight?

Because what we see looks different. So we don't believe that God has made us righteous, and made us holy, and be it to us according to our faith.

If you don't believe the chair will hold you - look at that broken leg! - you don't sit in it. Sight informs faith. But not so with God. His Word informs our faith, and I only say it because this is what God said in His Word.

If we don't believe it's true, we don't walk in it. When we believe that it's about what Jesus did and not about what I do, that releases us to fully face and embrace our Father, and is the power over sin in our lives. In Him there is no sin, but why do we not remain in Him?

Because we think we can't. We're not qualified. Well, we're not. But in Christ, we are accepted.

Much love!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again I'd have to question, who then will ever be accepted by God under these terms?

It might have to do with your pretty firmly seated idea that if to be righteous means to do right, then to be righteous means to be sinless. But honesty goes a long way with God. Because a man who knew he was a sinner admitted it and walked away justified. So...you can do what is right in Gods eyes by admitting the truth, even though you are a sinner! So I think you need a slight modification to your "if...then" construct.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most of the time I see people on the forum discussing interpretation of the scriptures and sometime various sins.

What I do not see is discussions about the applications of Christian beliefs in motion and what we should do to lead a good Christian life.

So I am asking that question….What should we do to lead a good Christian life? What does a good Christian life look like?

I am not talking about theology. I am not talking about prophecy. I am not talking about sin or demons.

If you were explaining it to a new Christian, what would you tell him or them to do?

love one another through service

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we abide in Him, we do not sin. We start with knowing this is true. So...if we sin, should we assume we must not be abiding?

love is the completion of all brokenness or sin
If we all loved perfectly, sin would cease to exist
Heaven is the place and state of completion
Until Heaven, we practice our sanctification

Reactions: Nancy and Pisteuo

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe. I rather think it maybe isn't the best translation in KJV but I don't know for absolute sure. At any rate, I don't think the psalmist was saying he was just like God, unless the Holy Spirit was speaking of Jesus there, which is a distinct possibility.
They are called the messianic psalms.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the best meaning to humility I can think of.

If we accept the truth about ourselves, humility is the result, because we are base, to say the least.

Much love!

I don't know if you ever heard me say about the years long cycle I got caught in of depression when I would be bad, followed by an eventual resolve to try again harder, then back to depression again when I failed to be good again and lost my temper, spoke unkindly, or whatever bad thing I did.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the whole mess was hurt pride in me that I was not good and a grim determination to prove I was good! o_O:rolleyes:

Reactions: marks and Nancy

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's right there for each of us to trust that way. I know it is.

Much love!

I have thought that too. But I think I've come to see I might fail in trust too at some point. I'm just really weak. And I'm capable of being tricked. I'm not real smart, compared to Satan. He's tricked me before about some things. And then the pull of the wisdom of the world has tricked me before too, where what the world says has sounded so reasonable to me on some matter that I went with it for some amount of time before I saw the deception I had been lulled into.

But while I don't have confidence in myself that I will never fail in my trust (or get tricked away from my trust), taking a fall is not the worst thing I can imagine, because I think God would help me back up and I would start running to trust more and more again. At least He always has helped me back up in the past when I have failed in trust.

I don't know. Its all still very new to me. But I've learned not to have any confidence in myself so I've begun to think I might not want to be so certain I couldn't ever again fail in trust.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe it is simple, but it is not easy. The road is narrow which means we can fall into the ditch on either side. And, I do fall into the ditch many times but then, it is the getting back up, repenting and dusting ourselves off then, just keep on keeping on that narrow road. We have highs and lows, some days we can be in the Spirit all day and the next day, we can be throwing a fit! Our emotions and feelings can be all over the place but He is faithful to be right there with us through thick and thin. Even though our moods, feelings and emotions change much of the time, His never do...He's my rock!
It is hard to discipline the flesh to pray in the Spirit but easy once praying.

Reactions: Nancy

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it really that simple for you? I understand being led by the Spirit, keeping open to His...impressions on your heart. And sometimes I know I've been wrong about something I was sure He was impressing on my heart but it turned out to be just...maybe my conscience mixed with my own thoughts about what would be good to do. But no great harm came to me in my mistake.

But walking in the Spirit? It's simple? I think if it seems simple to get there or do that, you might not have yet walked in the Spirit...the apostles walked in the Spirit. At least a portion of the time. And when they did, they penned Revelation, healed the sick, spoke not their own words, performed miracles. When they walked in the Spirit, they walked as Jesus walked. I've never done that.
All I have to do is get alone and pray in tongues for about a half hour and I get in Spiritual orbit.
It makes my cares and desires to sin go away.
When I cease, that’s when carnality and concerns return.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Certainly an important element....so how do you explain doing that to a new Christian?
A new Christian must pray though whenever possible, just like an elder. Nobody graduates from having to pray though the Holy Ghost.
We would all be on cloud 9 if we all practiced praying through.

The wind

Oct 17, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Most of the time I see people on the forum discussing interpretation of the scriptures and sometime various sins.

What I do not see is discussions about the applications of Christian beliefs in motion and what we should do to lead a good Christian life.

So I am asking that question….What should we do to lead a good Christian life? What does a good Christian life look like?

I am not talking about theology. I am not talking about prophecy. I am not talking about sin or demons.

If you were explaining it to a new Christian, what would you tell him or them to do?

Love the children of God.