How to debate the Bible: for beginners

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If we abide in Him, we do not sin. We start with knowing this is true. So...if we sin, should we assume we must not be abiding?
I suppose it depends on what you call sin. Admittedly though those moments like even last few weeks, when i get into that grove, makes most of the issues i am dealing with just fade away. Hope it stay this way, but boy does it make life boring when al that matters is Him.. Whats next Jesus... Must be more.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose it depends on what you call sin. Admittedly though those moments like even last few weeks, when i get into that grove, makes most of the issues i am dealing with just fade away. Hope it stay this way, but boy does it make life boring when al that matters is Him.. Whats next Jesus... Must be more.

I'm not sure I understood your post, mj...I think maybe I connected with you on at least a part of it but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and bbyrd009
B

brakelite

Someone said righteousness is the standard. We all recognise that of ourselves we are totally incapable of attaining to the righteousness the law of God demands. Yet we do read that the righteousness of the law is, or at least can be, fulfilled in us. But do we believe God's word? Really believe it? Or make excuses? Do we really want that righteousness that God's word tells us we should hunger and thirst for? Well, do we? Really? Or make excuses and offer reasons for sin and our inability to walk as Jesus walked. Yes, we know the scriptures... We understand what is truly required of us... But... But... But...

Last edited by a moderator:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm not sure I understood your post, mj...I think maybe I connected with you on at least a part of it but I'm not sure.
Sin,what is sin, some would consider smoking and drinking sin, but are they, in themselves they are not a sin but what you do with them can become sin. If you smoke and someone asks you to stop because they dont like it, but you refuse than you have sinned against them, even drinking, nothing wrong with it, but if you drink to become drunk than start abusing people than it has become a sin. Problem is no one can actually determine what is sin, it all depends on the person, even teh religion.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
lol
um you could try actually following Jesus' directions maybe mjr
have a nice trip k

B

brakelite

Sin,what is sin, some would consider smoking and drinking sin, but are they, in themselves they are not a sin but what you do with them can become sin. If you smoke and someone asks you to stop because they dont like it, but you refuse than you have sinned against them, even drinking, nothing wrong with it, but if you drink to become drunk than start abusing people than it has become a sin. Problem is no one can actually determine what is sin, it all depends on the person, even teh religion.
Except the Bible is fairly unequivocal regarding what sin is.
KJV 1 John 3
4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
KJV Romans 14
22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Except the Bible is fairly unequivocal regarding what sin is.
KJV 1 John 3
4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
KJV Romans 14
22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
See like I said all you do is promote your religion, but as I mus pinit out again, though you will ignore it because it deosnt fit in with your religion

Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
Rom 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

see sin was here long before the law, even death, another part you continue to ignore

Joh 1:16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.
Joh 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

but continue to lay stumbling blocks before men if you must and trample grace underfoot.

Act 15:5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

Act 15:10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
Act 15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Act 15:24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

so ignore it you religion requires you to do so,

B

brakelite

See like I said all you do is promote your religion, but as I mus pinit out again, though you will ignore it because it deosnt fit in with your religion

Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
Rom 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

see sin was here long before the law, even death, another part you continue to ignore

Joh 1:16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.
Joh 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

but continue to lay stumbling blocks before men if you must and trample grace underfoot.

Act 15:5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

Act 15:10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
Act 15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Act 15:24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

so ignore it you religion requires you to do so,
Lol. I'm not requesting anyone be circumcisised bro.
And you asked, what is sin. I did not quote anyone's religion. I quoted scripture. The apostle John, inspired by the holy spirit, said soon is transgression of the law. The fact that there was sin before Sinai is proof that the law was before Sinai. Theft and murder didn't suddenly become sin just because God gave Moses those tablets.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Lol. I'm not requesting anyone be circumcisised bro.
And you asked, what is sin. I did not quote anyone's religion. I quoted scripture. The apostle John, inspired by the holy spirit, said soon is transgression of the law. The fact that there was sin before Sinai is proof that the law was before Sinai. Theft and murder didn't suddenly become sin just because God gave Moses those tablets.
The law was not before sinai, that is your religion speaking, rejecting everything that your religion dictates to you.

Rom 7:8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Rom 7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
Rom 7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

that is what happened when the LAW came in, and that is why those under the law are "guilty" of sin, because,

Rom_3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

So you profess your own guilt and seek to condemn the world with you.
So few are willing to leave there religion for Christs sake.

B

brakelite

And you asked, what is sin. I did not quote anyone's religion. I quoted scripture. The apostle John, inspired by the holy spirit, said soon is transgression of the law.
Like I said, you asked, what is sin...I answered from scripture. Why are you offended at that?

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I am asking that question….What should we do to lead a good Christian life? What does a good Christian life look like?

In our worship today we had as one of the songs based on Micah 6:8:

No, the Lord has told us what is good. What he requires of us is this: to do what is just, to show constant love, and to live in humble fellowship with our God. GNT

I also think that James would be good to:

What God the Father considers to be pure and genuine religion is this: to take care of orphans and widows in their suffering and to keep oneself from being corrupted by the world. James 1:27 GNT

Plus as Christ said do all He commands :)

Reactions: Grailhunter

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok guys, this thread is about, Can we live a Christian life and How do we explain that to a new Christian.
The debate among yourselves on sin would only be a good way to confuse them. So take it somewhere else.

Reactions: Nancy