Can you be pro-choice and still be a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you support pro-choice and abortion and still be a Christian?

I would say that its possible to be a Christian who is saved and be severely wrong on worldview issues. But I could be wrong.

There are a lot of Christians who don't have biblical values. Are all of them not saved?

If not, please explain. I realize the road is narrow but isn't salvation based on the belief in the salvation of Christ and His Lordship and not on having the correct worldview?

I believe abortion is a grave sin, one of the defining moral issues of our time. But I think its possible for someone to hold the wrong view but they simply haven't developed a biblical worldview and be ignorant of its importance.

What do you think?

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I would say that its possible to be a Christian who is saved and be severely wrong on worldview issues. But I could be wrong.

There are a lot of Christians who don't have biblical values. Are all of them not saved?

If not, please explain. I realize the road is narrow but isn't salvation based on the belief in the salvation of Christ and His Lordship and not on having the correct worldview?

I believe abortion is a grave sin, one of the defining moral issues of our time. But I think its possible for someone to hold the wrong view but they simply haven't developed a biblical worldview and be ignorant of its importance.

What do you think?

In short, yes

There is really nothing left to add to your post. You covered it very well.

That applies to many subjects, not just abortion also. it also applies to some sins the individual flesh tries but for reasons irrelevant simply cannot overcome.

We are MADE PERFECT through Christ- we don't walk through the door that way. Every one of us has a trailer full of sins behind us- actual contents don't matter (except for the reward part)

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay so I might be wrong.

My husband and I were discussing it and this verse came to mind.

James 4:4
King James Version

4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Reactions: Mama Etna

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What do you think?
Most believers in Christ also believe that upon conception what is in a woman's womb is a person. One who believes that and believes that to kill the embryo or fetus or unborn baby is to murder.

But if someone truly believes that that unborn embryo or fetus is Not a person perhaps God seeing that in the believer's heart will then accept the person's commitment to God. I doubt that many would fit this last scenario, but we do not know the hearts of every person. This is why the judgement, ultimately, is not ours to make.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

No, in that context "adultery" translates into unfaithfulness/ impurity (as in not a true believer)- not as in the family court sex definition.

What he is saying is that you cant have your cake and eat it too. You cannot serve God and mammon. You cannot "claim" being saved with the mouth and be unsaved in the heart etc.

Reactions: Nancy

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What do you think?
what the truth is in the case of the Lord and what one is aware of many be another, but if one is made aware of the truth and refuses to agree then no, they are not a child of God. the child does not have a choice to disagree with the Father, and be a child of the Father.

this is the heart of a Child of God who's Father is in heaven:
Joh 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

hence your choices of right wrong good bad correct and incorrect are God's choices.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Wynona I think I would strongly agree with your basic attitude to the subject itself.

Sometimes Christians get into very wide definitions. For example, there are many eggs which are initially fertilized by sperm and yet as part of a natural process they never become implanted into the lining of the uterus. It would be hard to call this an abortion in the proper sense of the term. Some ppl use contraceptives that are worn. Others use oral contraceptives which retard the process of implantation into the wall of the uterus. Would zealous people thus be justified in trying to insist that husbands or wives wear something instead of oral contraceptives be used because the oral ones cause some sort of abortion? Some ppl don't even use any contraceptives.

As people search their hearts before the Lord, sometimes there is a lot of heated talk; and sometimes that talk is not helpful to others.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
if one is made aware of the truth and refuses to agree then no, they are not a child of God.
You mean, a true believer supposedly thus loses salvation? or that salvation in the first place is supposedly by faith PLUS having the "correct" view of political campaigns about abortion? :rolleyes:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Some Christian couples frown upon condoms. Others wholeheartedly use condoms as an alternative to oral contraceptives. Others are happy to use oral contraceptives.

The "theology" which says, "I need to know whether you are on oral contraceptives / whether your dh uses condoms, etc., before I tell you whether you are a Christian...."

Frankly this would be bizarre. There is plenty in the NT about what a Christian is.

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

What do you think?

I'm a little cynical on this topic. I looked up some figures not so long ago, (but pre-covid) and it seems there are around as many deaths around the world by hunger and hunger related causes as there are by abortion. It seems to me that Americans, who are the wealthiest nation on Earth, with over a million millionaires, don't want to talk about hunger deaths, only abortion deaths. As I search my all too human nature, I know I find it similarly all too easy to condemn those who sin in different ways than me. Ideally, there would be neither hunger deaths nor abortion deaths, but this moral equivalence in preventable deaths seems to have escaped America, and failing ethical explanations to the contrary, I am tempted to think that the difference is because those millionaires and wanna-be-millionaires find it cheap to condemn abortion, whereas it would be expensive to end hunger and it might even have an impact on their swollen bank balances.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

LTJMP14

Aug 25, 2021
Southeastern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What do you think?
Nominal Christians can and many do believe all is permitted, and/or support any worldly thing that is contrary to God's design, but they'll still only be nominal Christians. So, safe to say that some who say they are Christian are clearly not Christian: you will know them by their fruit.

God gave us life, and it cost God the Father the brutal death of HIS Son to give life to us. Life is a most precious gift, eternal life if you are born again, love God and love your neighbor.

Therefore, true Christians will love that newly formed in the womb human being who is made in the image of God and after HIS likeness, just as if that yet born baby was ourself.

Reactions: Nancy and APAK

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nominal Christians can and many do believe all is permitted, and/or support any worldly thing that is contrary to God's design, but they'll still only be nominal Christians.

What exactly is a "nominal" Christian? How does that rank against a "regular" Christian?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In short, yes

There is really nothing left to add to your post. You covered it very well.

That applies to many subjects, not just abortion also. it also applies to some sins the individual flesh tries but for reasons irrelevant simply cannot overcome.

We are MADE PERFECT through Christ- we don't walk through the door that way. Every one of us has a trailer full of sins behind us- actual contents don't matter (except for the reward part)
So you can be a murderer and a Christian at the same time ?

Not according to Scripture.

The bible says such WERE some of you- in the past not present.

1 John 3:15
Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him.

1 Corinthians 6
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Galatians 5:19-21
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

hope this helps !!!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

What do you think?

When you read the through the Bible, especially in the books of the prophets, God did allow men and women to make choices, however God did not support all of their choices.

And in answer to your first question yes. I don't think it's a matter that really effects someone's salvation, I agree with you on this

"I believe abortion is a grave sin, one of the defining moral issues of our time. But I think its possible for someone to hold the wrong view but they simply haven't developed a biblical worldview and be ignorant of its importance."

To add I think there are also some really tricky situations out there and some women have understandable reasons of getting an abortion done. However a baby shouldn't have to suffer for a man's wrong doing.

I believe abortion is a choice a woman always regrets afterwards.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When you read the through the Bible, especially in the books of the prophets, God did allow men and women to make choices, however God did not support all of their choices.

And in answer to your first question yes. I don't think it's a matter that really effects someone's salvation, I agree with you on this

"I believe abortion is a grave sin, one of the defining moral issues of our time. But I think its possible for someone to hold the wrong view but they simply haven't developed a biblical worldview and be ignorant of its importance."

To add I think there are also some really tricky situations out there and some women have understandable reasons of getting an abortion done. However a baby shouldn't have to suffer for a man's wrong doing.

In saying all this, in today's world, the pro-life battle has been loss, I believe the majority has spoken in many countries and have gotten what they want legalized.

This is nothing new though. People have lived their own ways all throughout history. Just because something becomes legal, it doesn't mean it's the Lord's way.

Could you imagine, all that's going on today, was probably legal to the Philistines and Babylonian's world and much more probably was legal also...

LTJMP14

Aug 25, 2021
Southeastern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Call it what it is: murder. Someone who calls themself Christian and believes it is okay to murder an innocent human being is a liar, imo not a Christian.

We are all created Imago Dei, and no murderer will inherit the kingdom of God. What did Jesus say about a millstone tied around the neck of those that harm the little ones?

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you can be a murderer and a Christian at the same time ?

Not according to Scripture.

The bible says such WERE some of you- in the past not present.

Another one of your many misunderstandings and errors of translation.

But since I seem to be "prohibited" from responding in other threads to your errors, the high level statement will simply have to do.

Enjoy your very hollow victory because its the only way you can achieve one.