Can You Be Righteous

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Axehead

May 9, 2012
According to what I read in God's Word, the Law ONLY leads to death.
  1. Romans 7:5
    For while we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our bodies to bear fruit for death.

2. Romans 8:2
    For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

3. 1 Corinthians 15:56
    The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.
  4. Romans 6:23
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Paul clearly states in Romans that Abraham was not saved because He obeyed God's written laws. He was saved because he had faith in God's promise of the Messiah and that faith was credited to him AS righteousness. The written Law is obsolete, dead and buried.

Hi Stan,

We are not talking about receiving Christ, who is our Salvation by the law or by self-righteousness. We are talking about our walk after we receive Him, walking in love which fulfills the righteousness of God's law. If you are loving God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and your neighbor as yourself you are walking in the righteousness of God revealed in the 10 commandments. You have to walk in the Spirit to fulfill the righteousness of the law.

Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Does your Bible say that God wants the righteousness of the law to be fulfilled IN YOU?

How does this happen? First we must be "In Christ" and second we must continue to walk "in Him", in the Spirit.

When you are walking in the Spirit the righteousness of the law is being fulfilled IN YOU.

Axehead

Paul said the law (the ten commandments) leads to death, but HolySpirit leads to life. Its really simple and anyone saying otherwise is either ignorant or confused about this truth or intentionally trying to complicate things.

Jiggyfly,

The Law is good and holy. There is nothing wrong with the 10 commandments. The Lord enables us to walk after the Spirit so that the "righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us."

Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Axehead

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
Hi Stan,

We are not talking about receiving Christ, who is our Salvation by the law or by self-righteousness. We are talking about our walk after we receive Him, walking in love which fulfills the righteousness of God's law. If you are loving God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and your neighbor as yourself you are walking in the righteousness of God revealed in the 10 commandments. You have to walk in the Spirit to fulfill the righteousness of the law.

Does your Bible say that God wants the righteousness of the law to be fulfilled IN YOU?

How does this happen? First we must be "In Christ" and second we must continue to walk "in Him", in the Spirit.

When you are walking in the Spirit the righteousness of the law is being fulfilled IN YOU.

Axehead

It doesn't matter whether it's pre or post salvation, Jesus is our righteousness. We don't have any. Please read the scriptures I have just provided. There is NO righteousness IN the Law. Romans 8:4 actually reads, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
Why do you keep referring to the Law as if there is something in it we need? God's Word plainly says there is NOT.
Romans 8:10 says; But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness. In addition Paul writes;

Romans 10:4
Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.
1 Corinthians 1:30
It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.
Galatians 2:21
I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

Nothing we do in following the law produces righteousness in our life, whether before or after we are saved. Salvation brings Christ into our lives, and He IS our righteousness and if we have Him we have all we need. Just as faith was credited to Abraham AS righteousness, faithfully receiving Christ is credited to us AS righteousness, NOTHING we do. I have already quoted Romans 3:10, which was written to: all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be his holy people:(Rom 1:7) These are therefore saved people.

Let me repeat Romans 3:10; “There is no one righteous, not even one"

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
This seems as good a moment as any, in this discussion, to share a thought from Oswald Chambers :)

Except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:20

The characteristic of a disciple is not that he does good things, but that he is good in motive because he has been made good by the super-natural grace of God. The only thing that exceeds right-doing is right-being. Jesus Christ came to put into any man who would let Him a new heredity which would exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees. Jesus says – If you are My disciple you must be right not only in your living, but in your motives, in your dreams, in the recesses of your mind. You must be so pure in your motives that God Almighty can see nothing to censure. Who can stand in the Eternal Light of God and have nothing for God to censure? Only the Son of God, and Jesus Christ claims that by His Redemption He can put into any man His own disposition, and make him as unsullied and as simple as a child. The purity which God demands is impossible unless I can be remade within, and that is what Jesus has undertaken to do by His Redemption.

No man can make himself pure by obeying laws. Jesus Christ does not give us rules and regulations; His teachings are truths that can only be interpreted by the disposition He puts in. The great marvel of Jesus Christ’s salvation is that He alters heredity. He does not alter human nature; He alters its mainspring.

~ My Utmost for His Highest, 24th July ~

Now, some practical advice from OC.

A conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men.Acts 24:16

God’s commands are given to the life of His Son in us, consequently to the human nature in which His Son has been formed, His commands are difficult, but immediately we obey they become divinely easy.

Conscience is that faculty in me which attaches itself to the highest that I know, and tells me what the highest I know demands that I do. It is the eye of the soul which looks out either towards God or towards what it regards as the highest, and therefore conscience records differently in different people. If I am in the habit of steadily facing myself with God, my conscience will always introduce God’s perfect law and indicate what I should do. The point is, will I obey? I have to make an effort to keep my conscience so sensitive that I walk without offence. I should be living in such perfect sympathy with God’s Son, that in every circumstance the spirit of my mind is renewed, and I "make out" at once "what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

God always educates us down to the scruple. Is my ear so keen to hear the tiniest whisper of the Spirit that I know what I should do? "Grieve not the Holy Spirit." He does not come with a voice like thunder; His voice is so gentle that it is easy to ignore it. The one thing that keeps the conscience sensitive to Him is the continual habit of being open to God on the inside. When there is any debate, quit. "Why shouldn’t I do this?" You are on the wrong track. There is no debate possible when conscience speaks. At your peril, you allow one thing to obscure your inner communion with God. Drop it, whatever it is, and see that you keep your inner vision clear.

~ My Utmost for His Highest, 13th May ~

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Let's be clear about this...the law itself does not lead to death...only putting our trust in our own ability to follow the law leads to death.

Pro_7:2 Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.

Hos_4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

[font=Verdana']10[/font] But those who depend on the law to make them right with God are under his curse, for the Scriptures say, “Cursed is everyone who does not observe and obey all the commands that are written in God’s Book of the Law.” [font=Verdana']11[/font] So it is clear that no one can be made right with God by trying to keep the law. For the Scriptures say, “It is through faith that a righteous person has life.” [font=Verdana']12[/font] This way of faith is very different from the way of law, which says, “It is through obeying the law that a person has life.”
Gal 3:10-12 (NLT)

Ignoring the context of the scriptures you quoted can lead to a religious can of worms. Do you follow all the requirements of the old way? If not how do you pick and choose which ones you follow?

Hi Stan,

Axehead

Jiggyfly,

The Law is good and holy. There is nothing wrong with the 10 commandments. The Lord enables us to walk after the Spirit so that the "righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us."

Axehead

Yes indeed, note Paul says the righteousness of the law, not the law itself and he also states that it is fulfilled or completed in us with no mention of through us and our works. Jesus is the fulfillment and He lives within us. But if one doesn't understand this, believe it and rest in the Father's work through the Son then what is their trust and faith directed towards? The Father is directing all attention to His Son and to point to anything else is not conducive to Father's plan. As I posted earlier, look at what Paul said.

8 What’s more, the Scriptures looked forward to this time when God would declare the Gentiles to be righteous because of their faith. God proclaimed this good news to Abraham long ago when he said, “All nations will be blessed through you.” 9 So all who put their faith in Christ share the same blessing Abraham received because of his faith.10 But those who depend on the law to make them right with God are under his curse, for the Scriptures say, “Cursed is everyone who does not observe and obey all the commands that are written in God’s Book of the Law.” 11 So it is clear that no one can be made right with God by trying to keep the law. For the Scriptures say, “It is through faith that a righteous person has life.” 12 This way of faith is very different from the way of law, which says, “It is through obeying the law that a person has life.”
Gal 3:8-12 (NLT)

Axehead

May 9, 2012
[font=Verdana']10[/font] But those who depend on the law to make them right with God are under his curse, for the Scriptures say, “Cursed is everyone who does not observe and obey all the commands that are written in God’s Book of the Law.” [font=Verdana']11[/font] So it is clear that no one can be made right with God by trying to keep the law. For the Scriptures say, “It is through faith that a righteous person has life.” [font=Verdana']12[/font] This way of faith is very different from the way of law, which says, “It is through obeying the law that a person has life.”

Ignoring the context of the scriptures you quoted can lead to a religious can of worms. Do you follow all the requirements of the old way? If not how do you pick and choose which ones you follow?

I don't pick and choose. I walk by the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus.

Yes indeed, note Paul says the righteousness of the law, not the law itself and he also states that it is fulfilled or completed in us with no mention of through us and our works. Jesus is the fulfillment and He lives within us. But if one doesn't understand this, believe it and rest in the Father's work through the Son then what is their trust and faith directed towards? The Father is directing all attention to His Son and to point to anything else is not conducive to Father's plan. As I posted earlier, look at what Paul said.

Amen Jiggyfly!! I feel that we are connecting now. I totally agree with you. And that is my whole reason for bringing out the characteristics of the righteousness of God in His law. Not that we follow the law in the flesh like the Bible was a moral guidebook or book of rules and regulations. We don't even follow the law in the Spirit. We just follow the Spirit and the righteousness of God that is in His law (Loving God and our Neighbor, not defrauding anyone or taking advantage of them but rather loving them as God does) is fullfilled in us who walk after the Spirit and not after the flesh.

I am thrilled that you understand what I am saying. Especially, when you said "Jesus is the fulfillment and He lives within us".

I also really like dragonfly's comments and Oswald Chambers post.

Here is a short excerpt that stands out to me and agrees with the "new heart" that God replaces our old and stony heart with. This is not theory, but experiential and reality in the here and now. Praise the Lord!!

Only the Son of God, and Jesus Christ claims that by His Redemption He can put into any man His own disposition, and make him as unsullied and as simple as a child. The purity which God demands is impossible unless I can be remade within, and that is what Jesus has undertaken to do by His Redemption.

No man can make himself pure by obeying laws. Jesus Christ does not give us rules and regulations; His teachings are truths that can only be interpreted by the disposition He puts in. The great marvel of Jesus Christ’s salvation is that He alters heredity. He does not alter human nature; He alters its mainspring.

[font=Verdana'][quote]8[/font] What’s more, the Scriptures looked forward to this time when God would declare the Gentiles to be righteous because of their faith. God proclaimed this good news to Abraham long ago when he said, “All nations will be blessed through you.” [font=Verdana']9[/font] So all who put their faith in Christ share the same blessing Abraham received because of his faith.[font=Verdana']10[/font] But those who depend on the law to make them right with God are under his curse, for the Scriptures say, “Cursed is everyone who does not observe and obey all the commands that are written in God’s Book of the Law.” [font=Verdana']11[/font] So it is clear that no one can be made right with God by trying to keep the law. For the Scriptures say, “It is through faith that a righteous person has life.” [font=Verdana']12[/font] This way of faith is very different from the way of law, which says, “It is through obeying the law that a person has life.”
[/quote]

Amen, Jiggyfly. We are on the same page and amen to dragonfly. Thank you both for your contributions.

Axehead

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I'm glad that we agree Axehead, but it seems that some here are propagating that our earthen vessel is being perfected which in my thinking promotes the requirement of personal works. But the truth is we (our earthen vessels) are purposefully flawed according to the Creator's design.

21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
Romans 9:20-21 (KJV)

But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
2 Cor 4:7 (KJV)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

We are enabled to obey the law by the Spirit. We aren't in the Spirit to obey the law...but this is a side product as it were. We are alive in the Spirit in order to fulfill the just requirements of God...so then obeying the law DOES lead to life (in the everlasting sense.)

We are only saved now in order to run the race towards holiness. We are not eternally saved and just waiting for the eternity bus to come by. We can easily die in the wilderness just as the Israelites of old. So we must produce fruit unto perfection in order to be justified while having the Spirit.

I know this sounds like works salvation...but the bible is crystal clear on the need of fruit and profit for God in order to obtain an everlasting life. I think many are confused over the works of true faith and the works of the Mosaic law like circumcision. The latter are done against grace...the former IN grace.

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.

8 What’s more, the Scriptures looked forward to this time when God would declare the Gentiles to be righteous because of their faith. God proclaimed this good news to Abraham long ago when he said, “All nations will be blessed through you.” 9 So all who put their faith in Christ share the same blessing Abraham received because of his faith.10 But those who depend on the law to make them right with God are under his curse, for the Scriptures say, “Cursed is everyone who does not observe and obey all the commands that are written in God’s Book of the Law.” 11 So it is clear that no one can be made right with God by trying to keep the law. For the Scriptures say, “It is through faith that a righteous person has life.” 12 This way of faith is very different from the way of law, which says, “It is through obeying the law that a person has life.”

I have to assume jiggyfly, that you actually did NOT read my response to Axehead. Romans 8:4 does NOT use the words, " righteousness of the law", he uses the words, "righteous requirement of the law ". This may be the reason you and Axehead are not properly understanding this issue. The law is a written code, it cannot contain "righteousness", not more than a dog can, or a stop sign. Righteousness is found ONLY in God. Ignoring scripture like Romans 3:10 only pits you against God Himself, as He is the one that inspired and caused His written Word to come into being.
JESUS is the righteous requirement of the law. Maybe the J.B. Phillips translation will help both of you understand?

Romans 8:3-4
  • J.B. Phillips New Testament
    The Law never succeeded in producing righteousness—the failure was always the weakness of human nature. But God has met this by sending his own Son Jesus Christ to live in that human nature which causes the trouble. And, while Christ was actually taking upon himself the sins of men, God condemned that sinful nature. So that we are able to meet the Law’s requirements, so long as we are living no longer by the dictates of our sinful nature, but in obedience to the promptings of the Spirit.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I have to assume jiggyfly, that you actually did NOT read my response to Axehead. Romans 8:4 does NOT use the words, " righteousness of the law", he uses the words, "righteous requirement of the law ". This may be the reason you and Axehead are not properly understanding this issue. The law is a written code, it cannot contain "righteousness", not more than a dog can, or a stop sign. Righteousness is found ONLY in God. Ignoring scripture like Romans 3:10 only pits you against God Himself, as He is the one that inspired and caused His written Word to come into being.
JESUS is the righteous requirement of the law. Maybe the J.B. Phillips translation will help both of you understand?

Romans 8:3-4
  • J.B. Phillips New Testament
    The Law never succeeded in producing righteousness—the failure was always the weakness of human nature. But God has met this by sending his own Son Jesus Christ to live in that human nature which causes the trouble. And, while Christ was actually taking upon himself the sins of men, God condemned that sinful nature. So that we are able to meet the Law’s requirements, so long as we are living no longer by the dictates of our sinful nature, but in obedience to the promptings of the Spirit.
I agree that the law never produced righteousness, it defines God's righteousness, but the law's requirements for righteousness was fulfilled by Jesus, God's Son, for us and now Father is completely satisfied. Father's work through His Son was perfect and as a result all things are being reconciled.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
We have to decided to accept Chirst Jesus' sacrifice for our sins. When we decided to live a life in His Character and power then we will live to please Him in true holiness in speech, word, deed and heart!

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
I agree that the law never produced righteousness, it defines God's righteousness, but the law's requirements for righteousness was fulfilled by Jesus, God's Son, for us and now Father is completely satisfied. Father's work through His Son was perfect and as a result all things are being reconciled.

Exactly, and it defines to show us what we cannot be or attain. That is why He gave us His New Covenant. Having Jesus IN our lives as our Saviour, puts that righteousness in us by the Holy Spirit.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Jeremiah 8:20 "[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]"The harvest is finished, and the summer is gone," the people cry, "yet we are not saved!"[/background]

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
Jeremiah 8:20 "[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]"The harvest is finished, and the summer is gone," the people cry, "yet we are not saved!"[/background]

Amen UHCAIan

So it shall be after the lord sends his witnesses to begin the Long Long Summer. Then will their eyes be opened?

Thirst after righteousness when the body is dieing from the lack of everything in the siege and desperate straits in which your enemy shall distress you.

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
Amen UHCAIan

So it shall be after the lord sends his witnesses to begin the Long Long Summer. Then will their eyes be opened?

Thirst after righteousness when the body is dieing from the lack of everything in the siege and desperate straits in which your enemy shall distress you.

::shakes head ::

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
::shakes head ::

7 All those who see Me ridicule Me; They shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
8 "He trusted in the Lord, let Him rescue Him; Let Him deliver Him, since He delights in Him!"

7 When they finish their testimony, the beast that ascends out of the bottomless pit will make war against them, overcome them, and kill them.
8 And their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.
9 Then those from the peoples, tribes, tongues, and nations will see their dead bodies three-and-a-half days, and not allow their dead bodies to be put into graves.
10 And those who dwell on the earth will rejoice over them, make merry, and send gifts to one another, because these two prophets tormented those who dwell on the earth.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Ezekiel 18:20 "[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him."[/background]

[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]Hebrews 12:14 "[/background][background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord."[/background]

[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]Psalm 34:14 "[/background][background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it."[/background]

[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]Romans 6:22 "[/background][background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life."[/background]

[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]Revelation 22:14-15 "[/background][background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]"Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. [/background][background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood."[/background]
[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]The word stands for itself!![/background]

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Doctrines of demons alter, change, twist or completely replace the Word of God. The first doctrine of demons was in the Garden. "Hath God said?" And Satan proceeded to tell Eve what God "really" meant.

The following are examples of verses that have been twisted, changed, rationalized, dispensationalized, etc, etc. Satan has a particular hatred for any Words from the Lord that have to do with cleansing our hearts, purifying our consiences, conforming us to the image of Christ, or making us zealous for good works (authored by the Holy Spirit not the flesh). In short, Satan does not want us to partake of His holiness and righteousness and actually WALK IN HIM (in the Spirit) and overcome him (Satan) and overcome the lure of sin. He wants us to buy into the lie that Jesus really did not break the power of cancelled sin in our lives and that we have to just "grit our teeth", "keep a stiff upper lip" while the rough end drags. This is not the overcoming life that Jesus Christ has won for us. His life in us IS THE OVERCOMING LIFE.

Mal 3:1 Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.
Mal 3:2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:
Mal 3:3 And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.

Heb 12:10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.

Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Tit 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

2Co_7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Eph_5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

Jas_4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

1Jn_1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Axehead

Reactions: dragonfly

Stan

Jul 19, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, CA.
7 All those who see Me ridicule Me; They shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
8 "He trusted in the Lord, let Him rescue Him; Let Him deliver Him, since He delights in Him!"

7 When they finish their testimony, the beast that ascends out of the bottomless pit will make war against them, overcome them, and kill them.
8 And their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.
9 Then those from the peoples, tribes, tongues, and nations will see their dead bodies three-and-a-half days, and not allow their dead bodies to be put into graves.
10 And those who dwell on the earth will rejoice over them, make merry, and send gifts to one another, because these two prophets tormented those who dwell on the earth.

:: shakes head...again::

Doctrines of demons alter, change, twist or completely replace the Word of God. The first doctrine of demons was in the Garden. "Hath God said?" And Satan proceeded to tell Eve what God "really" meant.

The following are examples of verses that have been twisted, changed, rationalized, dispensationalized, etc, etc. Satan has a particular hatred for any Words from the Lord that have to do with cleansing our hearts, purifying our consiences, conforming us to the image of Christ, or making us zealous for good works (authored by the Holy Spirit not the flesh). In short, Satan does not want us to partake of His holiness and righteousness and actually WALK IN HIM (in the Spirit) and overcome him (Satan) and overcome the lure of sin. He wants us to buy into the lie that Jesus really did not break the power of cancelled sin in our lives and that we have to just "grit our teeth", "keep a stiff upper lip" while the rough end drags. This is not the overcoming life that Jesus Christ has won for us. His life in us IS THE OVERCOMING LIFE.

Mal 3:1 Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.
Mal 3:2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:
Mal 3:3 And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.

Heb 12:10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.

Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Tit 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

2Co_7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Eph_5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

Jas_4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

1Jn_1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Axehead

How does this address the OP Axehead? Seems you have gone off on a tangent.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Exactly, and it defines to show us what we cannot be or attain. That is why He gave us His New Covenant. Having Jesus IN our lives as our Saviour, puts that righteousness in us by the Holy Spirit.
I agree completely with what you said here, and you said it plain and simple just the way I like it. Thanks Stan.