Can you lose your salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heb 13:8

Nov 2, 2016
USA
StanJ said:
You mean justification as a result of salvation? Romans 8:28-30
Underline: Justification through belief. Do we put confidence in ourselves or the finished work of the cross.

Luke 18:9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable:

1 John 5:13-14 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. 14This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Heb 13:8 said:
Underline: Justification through belief. Do we put confidence in ourselves or the finished work of the cross.

Luke 18:9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable:

1 John 5:13-14 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. 14This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.
This really doesn't address what I said at all, but just makes your position more vague.

Nov 2, 2016
USA
StanJ said:
This really doesn't address what I said at all, but just makes your position more vague.
John lied if we really can't know we have eternal life. If we can lose it. 1 John 5:13.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
John lied if we really can't know we have eternal life. If we can lose it. 1 John 5:13.
Well that is a pretty disingenuous way to treat the word of God if you refuse to see what he is actually saying.
You would rather believe that John lied than change your perspective about what he is saying? John is talking about effectually having eternal life not actually, because Hebrews 9:27 says 'it's appointed for a man to die once and then the judgement.' Everything that the word of God contains is true and you can't play one part of it off against another just because it doesn't fit into your preconceived notions of what it is saying. Do you accept the truth of Hebrews 9:27 or only what 1John 5:13 says?
Oh and by the way, I don't agree that anybody can lose their salvation, but they can walk away from their faith and become apostate. it's not losing your salvation if you walk away from it and no longer believe.

Nov 2, 2016
USA
StanJ said:
Well that is a pretty disingenuous way to treat the word of God if you refuse to see what he is actually saying.
You would rather believe that John lied than change your perspective about what he is saying? John is talking about effectually having eternal life not actually, because Hebrews 9:27 says 'it's appointed for a man to die once and then the judgement.' Everything that the word of God contains is true and you can't play one part of it off against another just because it doesn't fit into your preconceived notions of what it is saying. Do you accept the truth of Hebrews 9:27 or only what 1John 5:13 says?
Oh and by the way, I don't agree that anybody can lose their salvation, but they can walk away from their faith and become apostate. it's not losing your salvation if you walk away from it and no longer believe.
I accept the truth of Heb 9:12. If Jesus paid the sin debt, what is there left to owe. I believe the apostates are those without the seed and truth in them. There trying to save themselves by being religious. If you are born again that seed is in you forever 1 Pet 1:23, 2 John 1:2, Eph 1:13-14.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I accept the truth of Heb 9:12. If Jesus paid the sin debt, what is there left to owe. I believe the apostates are those without the seed and truth in them. There trying to save themselves by being religious. If you are born again that seed is in you forever 1 Pet 1:23, 2 John 1:2, Eph 1:13-14.
I quoted Hebrews 9:27 and I asked you if you believe it or 1 John 5:13 or both? Luke 8:11-15 shows four different types of people and only the first one is not saved. The rest are. You said here that you believe apostates are without seed and truth yet Hebrews 6:4-6 contradicts you plainly.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
I quoted Hebrews 9:27 and I asked you if you believe it or 1 John 5:13 or both? Luke 8:11-15 shows four different types of people and only the first one is not saved. The rest are. You said here that you believe apostates are without seed and truth yet Hebrews 6:4-6 contradicts you plainly.
How big does this seed have to be for it to be considered to be of the word of God? Does it have to be the size of an Orchid seed or a mustard seed? Is there a unit of measurement for those claiming to be of the faith?

(Matthew 17:19-21) "Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out? {20} And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. {21} Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting."

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dcopymope said:
How big does this seed have to be for it to be considered to be of the word of God? Does it have to be the size of an Orchid seed or a mustard seed? Is there a unit of measurement for those claiming to be of the faith?
Luke 8:11 tells us what this seed is. Matthew 17 is dealing with a different type of seed. We need to make sure we don't get our seeds mixed up. ;)

Nov 2, 2016
USA
StanJ said:
Heb 9:27, Judgment comes at Bema Seat and Great White throne. 1 Pet 1:23, 2 John 1:2, Eph 1:13-14 contradicts Heb 6:4-6. Sounds like God is confused.

2 Cor 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

StanJ said:
but they can walk away from their faith and become apostate. it's not losing your salvation if you walk away from it and no longer believe.
Underline: Looks like God is in contradiction again. God says He will lose none. Even dead people can't be lost 1 Cor 15:17-18.

John 17:12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.

John 18:8-9 Jesus answered, “I told you that I am he. If you are looking for me, then let these men go.” 9This happened so that the words he had spoken would be fulfilled: “I have not lost one of those you gave me.”

1 Cor 15:12-19 But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.

StanJ said:
it's not losing your salvation if you walk away from it and no longer believe.
Well, fortunately for me I chose life a long time ago. Do you have the Son Stan. 1 John 5:11-12.

Nov 2, 2016
USA
StanJ said:
Luke 8:11 tells us what this seed is. Matthew 17 is dealing with a different type of seed. We need to make sure we don't get our seeds mixed up. ;)
The seed and truth is Jesus Christ himself and His free gift of salvation, which is in us forever. John 14:6, 2 John 1:2.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The seed and truth is Jesus Christ himself and His free gift of salvation, which is in us forever. John 14:6, 2 John 1:2.
It has become painfully obvious that you do not know how to properly read the Bible, but only how to deflect and equivocate about what it actually says.
Luke 8:11
“This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God."
Matthew 17:20
Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Heb 9:27, Judgment comes at Bema Seat and Great White throne. 1 Pet 1:23, 2 John 1:2, Eph 1:13-14 contradicts Heb 6:4-6. Sounds like God is confused.

2 Cor 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

Underline: Looks like God is in contradiction again. God says He will lose none. Even dead people can't be lost 1 Cor 15:17-18.

John 17:12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.

John 18:8-9 Jesus answered, “I told you that I am he. If you are looking for me, then let these men go.” 9This happened so that the words he had spoken would be fulfilled: “I have not lost one of those you gave me.”

1 Cor 15:12-19 But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.

Well, fortunately for me I chose life a long time ago. Do you have the Son Stan. 1 John 5:11-12.
Let me make this easy.... you say you believe and accept 1 John 5:13 and that you actually have eternal life now. Hebrews 9:27 tells us that every man will die once. Who is right, your interpretation of 1John 5:13 or what Hebrews 9:27 says about every man will die once?
You seemed doggedly determined to deflect and not answer this simple question. Bombarding your posts with scriptures that are not applicable only shows you can't answer this simple question.

Nov 2, 2016
USA
StanJ said:
It has become painfully obvious that you do not know how to properly read the Bible, but only how to deflect and equivocate about what it actually says.
Luke 8:11
“This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God."
Matthew 17:20
Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move.
Underline: Jesus Christ is the Word of God Stan John 1:1. Salvation is only through Him. I know my savior just fine. Thank you. Truth.....

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

2 John 1:2 because of the truth, which lives in us and will be with us forever:

Eph 1:13-14 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

StanJ said:
Let me make this easy.... you say you believe and accept 1 John 5:13 and that you actually have eternal life now. Hebrews 9:27 tells us that every man will die once. Who is right, your interpretation of 1John 5:13 or what Hebrews 9:27 says about every man will die once?
You seemed doggedly determined to deflect and not answer this simple question. Bombarding your posts with scriptures that are not applicable only shows you can't answer this simple question.
I have the promise of eternal life now. I know I have eternal life because I have Jesus. Jesus is all you need brother. The promise will come true at first resurrection.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Underline: Jesus Christ is the Word of God Stan John 1:1. Salvation is only through Him. I know my savior just fine. Thank you. Truth.....

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
2 John 1:2 because of the truth, which lives in us and will be with us forever:
Eph 1:13-14 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

I have the promise of eternal life now. I know I have eternal life because I have Jesus. Jesus is all you need brother. The promise will come true at first resurrection.
Based on this response you have no idea what you have and your refusal to answer direct questions simply confirms you know your answers will contradict what you've already stated. Remember... pride comes before a fall.

Nov 2, 2016
USA
StanJ said:
Based on this response you have no idea what you have and your refusal to answer direct questions simply confirms you know your answers will contradict what you've already stated. Remember... pride comes before a fall.
Yes I do. I have Jesus Christ. Does that make you mad Stan.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yes I do. I have Jesus Christ. Does that make you mad Stan.
Apparently you don't know how to have an adult conversation without accusing somebody of not being a Christian. Just because someone is a Christian, doesn't mean that what they've been taught is accurate or whole. One can always tell a person's propensity for believing false teaching when they refuse to answer direct questions.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Coming from someone who is trying to save himself. non-osas is the definition of pride. or ego whichever one.
I'm not trying at all, I was saved over 45 years ago when I confessed Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. When were you saved? When did you actually confess Jesus as Savior, as Paul teaches us to do in Romans 10:9-11?

Nov 2, 2016
USA
StanJ said:
Apparently you don't know how to have an adult conversation without accusing somebody of not being a Christian. Just because someone is a Christian, doesn't mean that what they've been taught is accurate or whole. One can always tell a person's propensity for believing false teaching when they refuse to answer direct questions.
I answered your questions. It's not my problem that you do not like them.

The seed which is the truth who is Jesus Christ will never leave us, and scripture proves it.

StanJ said:
I'm not trying at all, I was saved over 45 years ago when I confessed Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. When were you saved? When did you actually confess Jesus as Savior, as Paul teaches us to do in Romans 10:9-11?
11 years ago. So why do you put yourself back under the law when you are forever under grace. Seems backwards to me. We can walk away from our salvation? No we can't. Not only did I confess, I believed in my heart as Rom 10:9 teaches. So you teach confessing without believing?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What has being "saved" for 45 years got to do with anything, its all about knowing Jesus. There are some who have being saved a lot less years who could teach us a thing or two. So many boasting of how well they read teh bible yet have no clue about Christ. So many with heads full of the knowledge of men and so little of the wisdom of God. It is by teh Spirit we judge all things. there is no "right" way to read teh bible, and all who think there is only have there own opinions. Truth is in Jesus Christ wont find it any where else.