Can you lose your salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

skypair

Nov 4, 2016
Phoneman777 said:
However, Jesus taught otherwise. "Go and sin no more" is what He commanded to those to whom He extended His free gift of grace.
OK, you are suggesting that we can even do that, right? Are you now sinless? or you lose your salvation?

And you are also suggesting that "grace" is what -- salvation? The "free gift of grace" is the freely given wisdom of God and those who apply His wisdom (like the gospel) will be saved and blessed.

skypair

skypair

Nov 4, 2016
Phoneman777 said:
OSAS is just a vain attempt to obtain by dead faith that which only can be obtained by living faith - eternal life.
So you are placing "eternal life" as coming AFTER you die? Is that when you say that it starts?

skypair

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Phoneman777 said:
Confession alone is not enough to obtain mercy, according to Proverbs 28:13 KJV. We must forsake our sins, as well, which of course does not mean we "forget" them each time we finish committing them - it means we "leave them behind" or "cease from them".
1 John 2:1-2
My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
skypair said:
Even more, Stan, confession 1) means seeking God's help with that sin; and, 2) since we are forgiven all our sins in heaven, it is praying God to have mercy regarding the consequences of our sin here in the earth. Regarding (2), it is like doing to the person you have wronged and asking them for mercy. That is exactly what God would want you to do, also, right?
skypair
Salvation is recognizing that we are sinners and that we need Jesus, who died for ALL sins. Confession means to agree with God that what we have done is sin, when the Holy Spirit points it out to us, because God already knows it is and has said so, but we need to agree with him that what we've done is sin. I'm not convinced that the law of sowing and reaping is ever suspended in our lives but we can always rely on God's mercy to give us the grace we need to make it through.
Jesus made it very clear in Matthew 18:22, just how forgiving God is and how we are expected to be the same towards our fellow man.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
1 John 2:1-2
My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.
The rest of the scripture:

(1 John 2:3-6) "And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. {4} He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. {5} But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. {6} He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked."

(Matthew 7:21-23) "¶ Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. {22} Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? {23} And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
Can a good tree bring forth bad fruit? This is what Jesus meant when he said that we shall know them by their fruits. Do you have an advocate for your sins? Sure, but that should follow up with something good. For example, if you still have bitterness in your heart towards someone, if you haven't forgiven them for whatever they may have done to you, then don't expect God to forgive you for your sins because the truth is not within you.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dcopymope said:
The rest of the scripture:
Separate thought, different issue.
Dcopymope said:
Can a good tree bring forth bad fruit? This is what Jesus meant when he said that we shall know them by their fruits. Do you have an advocate for your sins? Sure, but that should follow up with something good. For example, if you still have bitterness in your heart towards someone, if you haven't forgiven them for whatever they may have done to you, then don't expect God to forgive you for your sins because the truth is not within you.
Matthew 7:18 has two points to it, that a good tree cannot bear bad fruit and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit, so if you see good fruit then it's not a bad tree. When Jesus used analogies he used them to point out specific issues and they do not have multiple applications.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
Separate thought, different issue.
Matthew 7:18 has two points to it, that a good tree cannot bear bad fruit and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit, so if you see good fruit then it's not a bad tree. When Jesus used analogies he used them to point out specific issues and they do not have multiple applications.
I don't see it as a separate issue since both cases have to do with who gets saved and who doesn't when it comes down to it. If his call to repentance was genuine, he wouldn't still be a homosexual, child molesting sorcerer afterwards. We should see some results from the holy spirit, unless you want to make the holy spirit and the idea of it out to be a joke.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
OSAS is just a vain attempt to obtain by dead faith that which only can be obtained by living faith - eternal life.
It comes down to.

Are you saved ot are you not. If you are not, what are you going to do to save yourself?? If you are, than what are you going to do to add to that which Jesus already has done, dont you beleievg God can save you or is it that God has no power to save mankind, seems most people thiink He can't save us.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dcopymope said:
I don't see it as a separate issue since both cases have to do with who gets saved and who doesn't when it comes down to it. If his call to repentance was genuine, he wouldn't still be a homosexual, child molesting sorcerer afterwards. We should see some results from the holy spirit, unless you want to make the holy spirit and the idea of it out to be a joke.
Those in 1John 2:1-2 are saved, John differentiates between in v3-6 that are and are not believers. There is indeed a difference between believers and non-believers but you seem to only see the unbelievers in v4. John clearly teaches us here that occasional sin does not make us unbelievers, nor does it separate us from the love of God. Do you not believe that Simon was saved in Acts 8:13 as Luke describes?

skypair

Nov 4, 2016
StanJ said:
Confession means to agree with God that what we have done is sin, when the Holy Spirit points it out to us, because God already knows it is and has said so, but we need to agree with him that what we've done is sin. I'm not convinced that the law of sowing and reaping is ever suspended in our lives but we can always rely on God's mercy to give us the grace we need to make it through.
I like your "Lifelong student…" blurb. :)

Let me ask you this: When the Spirit is grieved, is your spirit grieved when you have committed a sin? Is your spirit quenched when God's Spirit in you is quenched (you've omitted a work God told you to do)? That is how your conscience in your soul should work now. You don't so much have guilt of sin but grief or sadness that you have not done as God, the Spirit, desires. You no longer do despite the law but despite the Spirit .. it's not the law hidden in your heart but the Holy Spirit, Stan. And really, that boils down to the "law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus" (which is love, Ro 8:2) living in your heart and not the "law of sin which is in your members" that leads unto death — 7:23. Do you see it? Greiving or quenching the Spirit is unloving to God and to others.

skypair

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
Those in 1John 2:1-2 are saved, John differentiates between in v3-6 that are and are not believers. There is indeed a difference between believers and non-believers but you seem to only see the unbelievers in v4. John clearly teaches us here that occasional sin does not make us unbelievers, nor does it separate us from the love of God. Do you not believe that Simon was saved in Acts 8:13 as Luke describes?
Of course he was saved, and its not that I only see unbelievers, you got it backwards actually. The subject is not as black and white as you describe it. I only see believers, and those who call themselves "believers" but are not because, as Jesus said, if their fruits don't show it, then the truth is in fact not within them. If they knew God, they would keep his commandments. Would you call a flaming homosexual a believer just because he claims to be and goes to a church? When I speak of homosexuals, I'm very specific because books like Revelation is in fact very specific about who will and who won't be in the new heaven and earth.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
rom 10:9 tells us whether a person is saved or not. now if we go by what rom 10:9 says then we need to ask ourselves is it possible to break from this scripture. would it be possible to stop acknowledging and confessing that Jesus is your Lord? back when knights still swore an oath to their kings and queens did that means once they swore their oath that they could never change allegiances? if knights could do that then why can't a christian change their allegiance too. gentiles/sinners serve satan until they get saved so again why can't christian allegiances change back also?

rom 10:9 if you acknowledge and confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord [recognizing His power, authority, and majesty as God], and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Dcopymope said:
Of course he was saved, and its not that I only see unbelievers, you got it backwards actually. The subject is not as black and white as you describe it. I only see believers, and those who call themselves "believers" but are not because, as Jesus said, if their fruits don't show it, then the truth is in fact not within them. If they knew God, they would keep his commandments. Would you call a flaming homosexual a believer just because he claims to be and goes to a church? When I speak of homosexuals, I'm very specific because books like Revelation is in fact very specific about who will and who won't be in the new heaven and earth.
if you want to be specific then anyone who does evil will never be in the new heavens and new earth. for matt 7:20-23 says “What comes out of a person is what defiles them. For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and defile a person.” if you are committing even one of these then you are in the same boat as the homosexual is. also the bible states that we should take the beam from our own eyes before we try to take the splinter from another's eye.

what you should worry about is your own problems and leave the homosexual person to God. unless you can read a person's heart then you have no cause to judge them as a person. the Word says we are to judge behavior, actions, and eat but never to judge a person. you don't know where a person is in there walk with God. being hooked on a sin is not as easy to quit as flicking a switch. also do you know what God is talking about to individuals in their life? do you know if God is convicting a person of a sin? and if they are willfully ignoring it then that person is in danger but let God decide on the order of what to work on in a person's life and not you.

God bless

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
skypair said:
I like your "Lifelong student…" blurb. :)
Let me ask you this: When the Spirit is grieved, is your spirit grieved when you have committed a sin? Is your spirit quenched when God's Spirit in you is quenched (you've omitted a work God told you to do)? That is how your conscience in your soul should work now. You don't so much have guilt of sin but grief or sadness that you have not done as God, the Spirit, desires. You no longer do despite the law but despite the Spirit .. it's not the law hidden in your heart but the Holy Spirit, Stan. And really, that boils down to the "law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus" (which is love, Ro 8:2) living in your heart and not the "law of sin which is in your members" that leads unto death — 7:23. Do you see it? Greiving or quenching the Spirit is unloving to God and to others.
skypair
There is no doubt that a feeling of guilt and recognition of wrongdoing about anything we have done, indicates that our spirit is still alive and well in Christ. Remember what Paul states in Romans 14:23.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dcopymope said:
Actually this subject is very black-and-white just as the Bible is but if you equivocate about what it says, then of course it won't be as black-and-white as it should be. John makes it very clear and those that continue in their sinful lifestyle are not in the light and are not believers, and those who don't continue in their sinful lifestyle but do occasionally sin are in the light and have an advocate with the father. Believers don't need to have an advocate if there's no reason for them to have one.

Reactions: Born_Again

Heb 13:8

Nov 2, 2016
USA
Underline: Eternal life is based on belief in the resurrection. Otherwise dead people would be losing their salvation.

1 Cor 15:12-19 NIV But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
John 11:25-26
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

Nov 2, 2016
USA
StanJ said:
John 11:25-26
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
Yes I do, and I also believe we are only justified once and we only believe once. But not you.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Heb 13:8 said:
Yes I do, and I also believe we are only justified once and we only believe once. But not you.
I wasn't asking the question, it was Jesus that was asking the question. I'll give you two places where it shows that we can be justified more than once. Luke 18:14 and Romans 3:28. These verses clearly show that a man can be justified more than once.

Nov 2, 2016
USA
StanJ said:
I wasn't asking the question, it was Jesus that was asking the question. I'll give you two places where it shows that we can be justified more than once. Luke 18:14 and Romans 3:28. These verses clearly show that a man can be justified more than once.
I'm referring to justification by salvation. Rom 10:10, 1 Cor 6:11.