Can You Read Dreams?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've not read anything in the Bible of a "gift of interpreting dreams". I've seen where in certain cases God gave interpretations of dreams to certain individuals. But nothing in the passages of gifts of the Spirit

Yes. Stranger and I went round and round for about 8 pages on this question when I first joined here. I have to contend that it is a gift, because I seem to have a stronger aptitude for it than normal. But it's a matter of opinion. I could live with it not being called a gift. I just want to operate in it.
God gave Daniel some interpretations of the dreams of some Gentiles. What are the other passages that show us and teach us about "dream interpretation"?

That would take an in-depth study. The way this one is going, we may have to get into it some more. But maybe I can find my treatment of 1 Corinthians 13. I believe there are passages that actually deal with the subject that aren't recognized as such.

If you have any passages you'd like to discuss, quote them for me and we can take a look.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe you're right, brother. I don't think it is described as a gift. But everyplace where the Bible speaks of interpreting a dream, it is given by God ...and others noted that that person was an interpreter of dreams and God was with them.

Genesis 40:8
[8]And they said unto him, We have dreamed a dream, and there is no interpreter of it. And Joseph said unto them, Do not interpretations belong to God? tell me them, I pray you.
Genesis 41:15
[15]And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, I have dreamed a dream, and there is none that can interpret it: and I have heard say of thee, that thou canst understand a dream to interpret it.Genesis 40:8
[8]And they said unto him, We have dreamed a dream, and there is no interpreter of it. And Joseph said unto them, Do not interpretations belong to God? tell me them, I pray you.
Joseph and Daniel. Were there others?

I know Jeremiah compared telling dreams versus telling God's Word.

Much love!

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we're both lost at this point, Lol.

Could mean a number of things. The rest of the context would bear it out.

1. Could mean an actual wedding.
2. Could mean a spiritual wedding of sorts, such as between Christ and a congregation or ministry (I have seen this in dreams).
3. Could mean a marriage between ministry partners (I have seen this in dreams as well).
4. Could mean even mean something like a business partnership, or something else. I all depends on context.
Yes, and it can even be a mixture of two or more of those.... or "new beginning." :)

Now, I'm not trying to teach someone how to interpret, because it has to be God to speak to one's heart the specific interpretation. If we go on our own intellect, we may think it means we are to marry someone when that's not at all what He's saying in the dream. See what I'm saying?

Reactions: Hidden In Him

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you have any passages you'd like to discuss, quote them for me and we can take a look.
I'm asking if there are any.

I'm not seeing this as Biblical. It sounds like something you can do with practice, based out of how you understand different things. What you've described doesn't strike me as spiritual revelation, or a gift of the Spirit. And I don't see this in the Bible. So I don't know what else there is, but if you want to present passages where you see this I'm interested.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I write them down too in case they may be of use to others.

Very important. :) For one thing, if you store them somewhere the Lord can bring them back to your memory when you come across them again in just passing (led by the Holy Spirit, that is).

For another, if they are powerful and meant for the body of Christ as whole, or can be useful to them in some way, the time may come where you take another look and go "Wow..." You see more than you saw the first time.

I have seen dreams from different sources combine with one another, some that are recent and some that were given to others years or even decades ago, yet the message will be cohesive and very strongly confirm what the Spirit is saying. Those are fun ones. Been awhile since I've seen it happen, but those are really cool.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joseph and Daniel. Were there others?

I know Jeremiah compared telling dreams versus telling God's Word.

Much love!
Yep. This is another scripture that comes to mind related to dream interpretation.

Daniel 2:29-30
[29]As for thee, O king, thy thoughts came into thy mind upon thy bed, what should come to pass hereafter: and he that revealeth secrets maketh known to thee what shall come to pass.
[30]But as for me, this secret is not revealed to me for any wisdom that I have more than any living, but for their sakes that shall make known the interpretation to the king, and that thou mightest know the thoughts of thy heart.

Like you mentioned, Daniel. And wow, the king didn't even tell the dream. God gave the dream and the interpretation! Daniel stated that it is God who reveals secrets and what is in the hearts of men.

Reactions: GTW27 and Pearl

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep. This is another scripture that comes to mind related to dream interpretation.

Daniel 2:29-30
[29]As for thee, O king, thy thoughts came into thy mind upon thy bed, what should come to pass hereafter: and he that revealeth secrets maketh known to thee what shall come to pass.
[30]But as for me, this secret is not revealed to me for any wisdom that I have more than any living, but for their sakes that shall make known the interpretation to the king, and that thou mightest know the thoughts of thy heart.

Like you mentioned, Daniel. And wow, the king didn't even tell the dream. God gave the dream and the interpretation! Daniel stated that it is God who reveals secrets and what is in the hearts of men.
Yeah, that's interesting, Daniel even states, Its not from his own wisdom, but it was revealed to him by God.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and it can even be a mixture of two or more of those.... or "new beginning." :)

Now, I'm not trying to teach someone how to interpret, because it has to be God to speak to one's heart the specific interpretation. If we go on our own intellect, we may think it means we are to marry someone when that's not at all what He's saying in the dream. See what I'm saying?

Exactly.

It's called interpreting in the flesh, Lol. Especially when sexuality is involved, you can end up with some really "off" interpretations, Lol.

That said, the concept of spiritual marriage comes up quite a lot in dreams, and it spooks people because they're like, "Ummm... what exactly is this referring to?" LoL.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm asking if there are any.

I'm not seeing this as Biblical. It sounds like something you can do with practice, based out of how you understand different things. What you've described doesn't strike me as spiritual revelation, or a gift of the Spirit. And I don't see this in the Bible. So I don't know what else there is, but if you want to present passages where you see this I'm interested.

Much love!

You're not seeing what as Biblical, specifically?

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly.

It's called interpreting in the flesh, Lol. Especially when sexuality is involved, you can end up with some really "off" interpretations, Lol.

That said, the concept of spiritual marriage comes up quite a lot in dreams, and it spooks people because they're like, "Ummm... what exactly is this referring to?" LoL.
I believe all marriage is spiritual first.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why? Doesn't the Holy Spirit already know?

LoL. Again, think in terms of interpreting a verse or passage of scripture. If you know other scriptures accurately, then they will help you in accurately interpreting a passage of scripture that is related to it. If you do not, however, you are at a disadvantage. The same is true with interpretation of dreams. The more you know, the easier accurate interpretation becomes. If you are completely clueless about scripture, the Holy Spirit might have to supernaturally reveal to you entire books of the Bible you don't understand yet to even have a chance interpreting a passage accurately. By comparison, if you know absolutely nothing about a person's life, the Holy Spirit might have to reveal to you 10 or 15 minutes worth of private information about that person's life without you even asking them.

Trust me. People freak out bad enough even when you do ask them stuff that gets to the heart of the matter in a hurry. If you start explaining 10 minutes of inner details of their private life to them without having asked a thing, my guess is that most will wet their pants and head for the exits never to return. The method of asking very pointed, Spirit-led questions is scary enough. I believe in making an impression, but freaking people completely out defeats the whole purpose of ministry.

It is not a performance, Mark. It is about ministry. That has to be the motivation, because that is the end goal. Not impressing people with how much you can read their mail. That actually becomes counter-productive in the field.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A "gift of dream interpretation". Or skills in dream interpretation.

Much love!

I still don't quite understand the question, but I need to check out for awhile.

If you can, what do you believe those who interpreted dreams in scripture were doing as opposed to what you think I am doing.

God bless,
- H

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does this describe spiritual revelation?

Why did you need to ask me about my life, before God was able to reveal to you a meaning?

Why? Doesn't the Holy Spirit already know?

Much love!
These are real good questions my friend . Let me answer . THE HOLY SPIRIT WOULD ALREADY KNOW .
He dont need us to ask questions , that sounds more like a we need to know so we can try and interpret something .
Which wont work .
I say keep it simple . PRAY TO GOD . Pray to GOD for interpretation . Nothing else required .
GOD can surely reveal a secrete without our help . Yes indeed . I say JUST PRAY . LET GOD DO as HE DOES .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him, sometimes knowing the details of a person's life is a hindrance to being able to hear from God, because we would be more prone to interpret a dream based on what we know.
Bingo . Most intepret things based upon that very thing sister . If we want interpration , JUST PRAY TO GOD .
That is what i say . Keep it real simple .

Reactions: Pearl and TLHKAJ

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I still don't quite understand the question, but I need to check out for awhile.

If you can, what do you believe those who interpreted dreams in scripture were doing as opposed to what you think I am doing.

God bless,
- H
That was a real good question mark asked . One is of man my friend .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've not read anything in the Bible of a "gift of interpreting dreams". I've seen where in certain cases God gave interpretations of dreams to certain individuals. But nothing in the passages of gifts of the Spirit, no examples in the Gospels or the Acts of the Apostles, no teaching in the letters, whether ecclessiastical or pastoral. Where do we get the idea that there is such a thing?

God gave Daniel some interpretations of the dreams of some Gentiles. What are the other passages that show us and teach us about "dream interpretation"?

Much love!
The key lies in the statement made . IS it dream interpretation , or is it of men and is really SKILLS of interpreting dreams .
That my friend was a real good example you had made . Are we hearing and learning from GOD
OR are we hearing and learning patterns from men . THAT IS THE KEY .
The truth is , every dream i ever saw posted in the bible , the ones who recieved the interpretation
NEVER HAD TO LEARN FROM MEN HOW TO GET THAT INTERPREATION . THEY JUST PRAYED TO GOD WHO GAME THEM THE INTERPREATION .
SEE how simple that is . I never once read where daniel had to study and learn Interpreation . DID YOU ........
DID you ever read where JOSPEPH had to do any such thing . NOPE .
I say tis time and tis high time we simply return to the simplicity in Christ and in that bible and learn IT VERY WELL .
VERY WELL . AND LOVE EVER SINGEL WORD IN IT . IT makes one wise indeed my friend . PRAISE GOD FOR IT TOO .
Yep . I say let us OPEN BIBLES , but what do i know , i am but a simple man who never sat under great scholars and great teachers
who seem to know it all .
I just sat under the ONE WHO DOES KNOW ALL . Just a lil child is all i am . no great man here .
Truth is i was raised in no church . My mother was not some great religious woman and my father was atheist .
OH BUT MY TRUE FATHER KNOWETH ALL . AND HE Will give as HE sees fit . AND we know in part .
Praise GOD for HIS WONDERFUL GRACE GIVEN