Can you serve God in a false religion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catholics have not changed the bible - give me a break.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
aspen2 said:
Catholics have not changed the bible - give me a break.

All religious institutions plunder the bible for their own gain. They quote the bible...but will not lift a finger to do as it says!

Reactions: faithfulness

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
domenic said:
Jesus went off alone, and prayed a third time. Who recorded what he said? or how many times he said it?
Do you pick and choose which bits of the Bible you believe?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mungo said:
Do you pick and choose which bits of the Bible you believe?

With the whole counsel of God we do much more than just select a church...we move into a relationship with God. The words of the bible are just words unless one moves towards the One who is speaking those words. Christianity is about life and moving INTO that life. It is not about another religion of future promises. Eternal life is now!!!

ChurchAuthority

May 10, 2013
domenic said:
Transfigured? Are you Moses? Because Moses was transfigured, does that mean all Catholics are transfigured?
Adam was returned to the dust, does that mean all men will be returned to the dust? If the pope told you God was going to make all people have three heads, would you believe even that? What is in those little things they put in you mouth on Sunday, drugs?
What are you talking about??
I just proved you wrong by showing you that people who die are STILL ALIVE. Moses DIED and came back and spoke to Jesus during the Transfiguration.

Soul sleep is a manmade invention that does not hold water.

domenic said:
Matt 6: 7 "When praying, do not say the same thing over, and over again just as the people of the nations do."

"Beads for sale." Our deluxe beads come with a free booklet of prayers you can say, over, and over. Learn the Our Father, and Hail Mary in just ten minutes. Our deluxe set of beads comes held together with gold like thread, just like they use in Heaven. Beads for sale. Beads for sale. Buy in the next fifteen minutes, and we will send with your order a free plastic Jesus for you dashboard. Call now. Don’t miss out on this great offer. These beads were designed in Rome by someone very near the Pope. Five dollars extra, and you can have your beads blessed with holy water.”
I LOVE it when anti-Catholics spew false accusations like this because they expose their ignorance in doing so.

What you fail to understand is that when Jesus made this statement in Matt. 6:7, he was speaking about the nonsensical babbling of pagans to their gods – not the sincere prayers of the faithful. We read about them in 1 Kings 18:26-29, where the pagan prophets on Mount Carmel tried to invoke Baal all day long, repeatedly calling on his name and performing ritual dances.

In Matt. 26:44, our Lord himself prayed the exact same prayer three times in the Garden of Gethsemane after the Last Supper.

In the Parable of the Determined Widow in Luke 18:-87, Jesus emphatically states that God hears those who keep petitioning him in sincere faith: “Will not God then secure the rights of his chosen ones who call out to him day and night? Will he be slow to answer them? I tell you, he will see to it that justice is done for them speedily.”

In Luke 18:13, the tax collector kept beating his breast and repeatedly praying, “God be merciful to me, a sinner.” This was pleasing to God.

We see in Rev. 4:8 that the angels repeat the SAME prayer day and night without ceasing in the presence of almighty God, “Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty.”

Psalm 136 goes on for 26 verses in a row, repeating the exact same prayer, “God's love endures forever”. Similarly, in Dan. 3:56-88 we read the exact same prayer for 32 verses, which is “bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.”
This is far more repetitious than a decade of the Rosary.

Why don't you spend some time studying Scripture and finding out what it REALLY says instead of spewing false accusations at Christ's Church?

domenic said:
Jesus went off alone, and prayed a third time. Who recorded what he said? or how many times he said it? The Catholic church has change much in the Bible. In 1953 I bought a Catholic Bible for my folks. The Catholic Bible today, has other books in it not in the 1953 one, and there are other changes they have made. I would never trust the Catholic Bible.
Then NAME those bookas?
Which "other" Books have been added since 1953?

I eagerly await your response.

domenic

Apr 5, 2013
ChurchAuthority said:
I just proved you wrong by showing you that people who die are STILL ALIVE. Moses DIED and came back and spoke to Jesus during the Transfiguration.

I LOVE it when anti-Catholics spew false accusations like this because they expose their ignorance in doing so.

What you fail to understand is that when Jesus made this statement in Matt. 6:7, he was speaking about the nonsensical babbling of pagans to their gods – not the sincere prayers of the faithful. We read about them in 1 Kings 18:26-29, where the pagan prophets on Mount Carmel tried to invoke Baal all day long, repeatedly calling on his name and performing ritual dances.

In Matt. 26:44, our Lord himself prayed the exact same prayer three times in the Garden of Gethsemane after the Last Supper.

In the Parable of the Determined Widow in Luke 18:-87, Jesus emphatically states that God hears those who keep petitioning him in sincere faith: “Will not God then secure the rights of his chosen ones who call out to him day and night? Will he be slow to answer them? I tell you, he will see to it that justice is done for them speedily.”

In Luke 18:13, the tax collector kept beating his breast and repeatedly praying, “God be merciful to me, a sinner.” This was pleasing to God.

We see in Rev. 4:8 that the angels repeat the SAME prayer day and night without ceasing in the presence of almighty God, “Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty.”

Psalm 136 goes on for 26 verses in a row, repeating the exact same prayer, “God's love endures forever”. Similarly, in Dan. 3:56-88 we read the exact same prayer for 32 verses, which is “bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.”

Why don't you spend some time studying Scripture and finding out what it REALLY says instead of spewing false accusations at Christ's Church?

Then NAME those bookas?

You haven’t proven anything. What planet are you on? All you‘re doing is using that old, “Make up your own story stuff.

ChurchAuthority

May 10, 2013
domenic said:
You haven’t proven anything. What planet are you on? All you‘re doing is using that old, “Make up your own story stuff.
Then DEBUNK anything I said - IF you can.

Also - I'm still waiting to see which Books you claim were not in a 1953 "Catholic" Bible that are in there now.
If you can't produce the names of the Books, the I suggest you quit making false accusations.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that is what i thought - baseless accusations

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
aspen2 said:
Here is the problem with using just scripture Episk - Noncatholic Christians interpret scripture in a manner that supports Protestant doctrine. When Catholics use scripture and it disagrees with Protestant doctrine, it is dismissed as a Catholic misinterpretation. Catholic members try to point out that Protestants have changed many of the rules of Christianity 1500 years after Christ died and reduce the Christian way of life to a 2013 interpretation of 1st century culture, but you guys simply will not consider our perspective.

The Catholics are repeating the error of the Jews. Jesus says of both...

Mar_7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Episkopos said:
The Catholics are repeating the error of the Jews. Jesus says of both...

Mar_7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.
More baseless allegations.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Episkopos said:
That's exactly the response given by the Jews!!
That explains a lot - you have a different Bible to the rest of us with extra bits in it.

domenic

Apr 5, 2013
ChurchAuthority said:

Then NAME those bookas?

A number of books which are part of the Peshitta or Greek Septuagint but are not found in the Hebrew (Rabbinic) Bible are often referred to as deuterocanonical books by Roman Catholics referring to a later secondary (i.e. deutero) canon. Most Protestants term these books as apocrypha. Evangelicals and those of the Modern Protestant traditions do not accept the deuterocanonical books as canonical, although Protestant Bibles included them in Apocrypha sections until around the 1820s. However, the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox Churches include these books as part of their Old Testament.

The Roman Catholic Church recognizes the following books:

* Tobit
* Judith
* 1 Maccabees
* 2 Maccabees
* Wisdom of Solomon
* Sirach also called Ecclesiasticus
* Baruch
* Greek Additions to Esther
* Greek Additions to Daniel

In addition to those, the Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches recognize the following:

* 3 Maccabees
* 1 Esdras i.e. Greek Ezra paraphrase
* Prayer of Manasseh
* Psalm 151 as part of the Psalter

Some other Eastern Orthodox Churches include a few others, typically:

* 2 Esdras i.e. Latin Esdras in the Russian and Georgian Bibles
* Odes

The Syriac Orthodox Church also has:

* The Apocalypse of Baruch 2 Baruch
* The Letter of Baruch

The Ethiopian Orthodox Church also has some others such as:

* Jubilees
* Enoch

The Anglican Church uses some of the Apocryphal books liturgically, but not to establish doctrine. Therefore, editions of the Bible intended for use in the Anglican Church include the Deuterocanonical books accepted by the Catholic Church, plus 1 Esdras, 2 Esdras and the Prayer of Manasseh, which were in the Vulgate appendix.

There is also 4 Maccabees which is only accepted as canonical in the Georgian Church, but was included by St. Jerome in an appendix to the Vulgate, and is an appendix to the Greek Orthodox Bible, and it therefore sometimes included in collections of the Apocrypha.

The bible has 66 books...count the books in your your catholic bible.
I don't know why we waste our time with you. Your cult has you by the nose.

ChurchAuthority

May 10, 2013
Episkopos said:
That's exactly the response given by the Jews!!
No - it's what God prohibited in the Commandments:
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor" - which you have done repeatedly with your baseless accusations.

domenic said:
A number of books which are part of the Peshitta or Greek Septuagint but are not found in the Hebrew (Rabbinic) Bible are often referred to as deuterocanonical books by Roman Catholics referring to a later secondary (i.e. deutero) canon. Most Protestants term these books as apocrypha. Evangelicals and those of the Modern Protestant traditions do not accept the deuterocanonical books as canonical, although Protestant Bibles included them in Apocrypha sections until around the 1820s. However, the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox Churches include these books as part of their Old Testament.

The Roman Catholic Church recognizes the following books:

* Tobit
* Judith
* 1 Maccabees
* 2 Maccabees
* Wisdom of Solomon
* Sirach also called Ecclesiasticus
* Baruch
* Greek Additions to Esther
* Greek Additions to Daniel

In addition to those, the Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches recognize the following:

* 3 Maccabees
* 1 Esdras i.e. Greek Ezra paraphrase
* Prayer of Manasseh
* Psalm 151 as part of the Psalter

Some other Eastern Orthodox Churches include a few others, typically:

* 2 Esdras i.e. Latin Esdras in the Russian and Georgian Bibles
* Odes

The Syriac Orthodox Church also has:

* The Apocalypse of Baruch 2 Baruch
* The Letter of Baruch

The Ethiopian Orthodox Church also has some others such as:

* Jubilees
* Enoch

The Anglican Church uses some of the Apocryphal books liturgically, but not to establish doctrine. Therefore, editions of the Bible intended for use in the Anglican Church include the Deuterocanonical books accepted by the Catholic Church, plus 1 Esdras, 2 Esdras and the Prayer of Manasseh, which were in the Vulgate appendix.

There is also 4 Maccabees which is only accepted as canonical in the Georgian Church, but was included by St. Jerome in an appendix to the Vulgate, and is an appendix to the Greek Orthodox Bible, and it therefore sometimes included in collections of the Apocrypha.

The bible has 66 books...count the books in your your catholic bible.
I don't know why we waste our time with you. Your cult has you by the nose.
I didn't ask you to copy and paste from Wikipedia.
I asked you to give me the list of Books that was NOT in the Catholic Bible in 1953 but are in current Catholic versions.

If this is your answer, then you have exposed yourself as a liar. The Deuterocanonical Books have been part of the Canon of Scripture since the Catholic Church first declared the canon at the Councils of Rome (382), Hippo (393) and Carthage (397).

When a person resorts to lies during a debate, it usually means that they have run out of ammunition.
I'll go ahead and declare victory now.

Episkopos said:
Call it tradition!! :) LOL
Actually, it's spiritual pride.

Good thing Luther's contemporaries like Philip Melanchton stopped him when his pridefulness got out of control when he tried to delete the Books of James, Jude, Hebrews and Revelation.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ChurchAuthority said:
No - it's what God prohibited in the Commandments:
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor" - which you have done repeatedly with your baseless accusations.

I didn't ask you to copy and paste from Wikipedia.
I asked you to give me the list of Books that was NOT in the Catholic Bible in 1953 but are in current Catholic versions.

If this is your answer, then you have exposed yourself as a liar. The Deuterocanonical Books have been part of the Canon of Scripture since the Catholic Church first declared the canon at the Councils of Rome (382), Hippo (393) and Carthage (397).

When a person resorts to lies during a debate, it usually means that they have run out of ammunition.
I'll go ahead and declare victory now.

Actually, it's spiritual pride.

Good thing Luther's contemporaries like Philip Melanchton stopped him when his pridefulness got out of control when he tried to delete the Books of James, Jude, Hebrews and Revelation.

Are you proud of your church...what you accuse others of you are actually many times more guilty!

How dare you raise up a human institution and use that against Christ and His followers. Follow a church if you will...but don't attack the children of God!

This kind of attack would not be condoned on other forums. Normally rabid Catholics are on a sub-forum with other cults and religions like Islam.

People who are convinced they are right always behave the same way..whether they wear a bomb vest or give away watchtower magazines...or conduct bingo games!

ChurchAuthority

May 10, 2013
Episkopos said:
Are you proud of your church...what you accuse others of you are actually many times more guilty!

How dare you raise up a human institution and use that against Christ and His followers. Follow a church if you will...but don't attack the children of God!

This kind of attack would not be condoned on other forums. Normally rabid Catholics are on a sub-forum with other cults and religions like Islam.

People who are convinced they are right always behave the same way..whether they wear a bomb vest or give away watchtower magazines...or conduct bingo games!
Ummm, so, in other words, you don't have ANY proof that the Catholic Bible in 1953 contained a different collection of Books than the Catholic Bibles of today.
Pretty much what I thought.

Look - when you make absurd posts like this, charging me and the Church with "attacking" Protestants - it only exposes your ignorance and penchant for lying. Stick to the conversation at hand and give me the list of Books that you claim were NOT in the 1953 Catholic translations of the Bible.

If you can't, then you have simply further exposed yourself as a perpetrator of falsehoods.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone follows traditions. Marriage, clergy, doctrines. The Reformation replaced a few Catholic terms with the terms of the particular reformer.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ChurchAuthority said:
Ummm, so, in other words, you don't have ANY proof that the Catholic Bible in 1953 contained a different collection of Books than the Catholic Bibles of today.
Pretty much what I thought.

Look - when you make absurd posts like this, charging me and the Church with "attacking" Protestants - it only exposes your ignorance and penchant for lying. Stick to the conversation at hand and give me the list of Books that you claim were NOT in the 1953 Catholic translations of the Bible.

If you can't, then you have simply further exposed yourself as a perpetrator of falsehoods.

I am exposed only to your silliness and strutting here. What you say is below meaningless. You will reap what you have sown here as God is my witness.

Status
Not open for further replies.