Catholic issues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope

I listen to GOD. He wrote the word.

As jesus said, it is the spirit who gives life. the words I speak are spirit and life.

I also never claimed to never be wrong. I have been proven wrong many times

Unlike you however. I am humble enough to admit and to test what people say to make sure.
Lol....How can you have been proven to have been wrong many times if your listening to God? That makes no sense.

Or maybe Satan was talking to you during those times that you were wrong. Soooooooooooo how do you know when it's God or Satan talking to you??? Hmmmmmm.....More things for you to ponder.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another complete and provable LIE. Here is the first 200 years of what Christianity has taught about baptism WITH WATER and its REGENERATION:

“After the foregoing instructions, baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living [running] water. If you have no living water, then baptize in other water, and if you are not able in cold, then in warm. If you have neither, pour water three times on the head, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.” —Didache 7:1 Date: 70 A.D.

“Regarding [baptism], we have the evidence of Scripture that Israel would refuse to accept the washing which confers the remission of sins and would set up a substitution of their own instead [Ps. 1:3–6]. Observe there how he describes both the water and the cross in the same figure. His meaning is, ‘Blessed are those who go down into the water with their hopes set on the cross.’ Here he is saying that after we have stepped down into the water, burdened with sin and defilement, we come up out of it bearing fruit, with reverence in our hearts and the hope of Jesus in our souls” —Barnabas, Letter of Barnabas 11:1–10 Date: 74 A.D.

“I have heard, sir,’ said I [to the Shepherd], ‘from some teacher, that there is no other repentance except that which took place when we went down into the water and obtained the remission of our former sins.’ He said to me, ‘You have heard rightly, for so it is” —Hermas, The Shepherd 4:3:1–2 Date: 80 A.D.

“As many as are persuaded and believe that what we [Christians] teach and say is true, and undertake to be able to live accordingly, and instructed to pray and to entreat God with fasting, for the remission of their sins that are past, we pray and fast with them. Then they are brought by us where there is water and are regenerated in the same manner in which we were ourselves regenerated. For, in the name of God, the Father . . . and of our Savior Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water. For Christ also said, ‘Unless you are born again, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven”—Justin Martr, First Apology 61 Date: 151 A.D.

“For since you have read, O Trypho, as you yourself admitted, the doctrines taught by our Saviour, I do not think that I have done foolishly in adding some short utterances of His to the prophetic statements. Wash therefore, and be now clean, and put away iniquity from your souls, as God bids you be washed in this laver, and be circumcised with the true circumcision… The command of circumcision, again, bidding [them] always circumcise the children on the eighth day, was a type of the true circumcision, by which we are circumcised from deceit and iniquity through Him who rose from the dead on the first day after the Sabbath, [namely through] our Lord Jesus Christ”—Justin Martyr, Dialogue of Justin with Trypho, a Jew 18 & 41 Date: 160 A.D.

“our Christ, by being crucified on the tree, and by purifying [us] with water, has redeemed us, though plunged in the direst offenses which we have committed, and has made [us] a house of prayer and adoration… “the mystery of saved men appeared in the deluge. For righteous Noah, along with the other mortals at the deluge, i.e., with his own wife, his three sons and their wives, being eight in number, were a symbol of the eighth day, wherein Christ appeared when He rose from the dead, for ever the first in power. For Christ, being the first-born of every creature, became again the chief of another race regenerated by Himself through water, and faith, and wood, containing the mystery of the cross; even as Noah was saved by wood when he rode over the waters …I mean, that by water, faith, and wood, those who are afore-prepared, and who repent of the sins which they have committed, shall escape from the impending judgment of God.” —Justin Martyr, Dialogue of Justin with Trypho, a Jew 18 & 41 Date: 160 A.D.

“Then said Jesus unto them, ‘I have been given all authority in heaven and earth; and as my Father has sent me, so I also send you. Go now into all the world, and preach my gospel in all the creation; and teach all the peoples, and baptize them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit; and teach them to keep all whatsoever I commanded you: and lo, I am with you all the days, unto the end of the world”—Tatian the Syrian, The Diatesseron 55 Date: 170 A.D.

“Moreover, those things which were created from the waters were blessed by God, so that this might also be a sign that men would at a future time receive repentance and remission of sins through water and the bath of regeneration—all who proceed to the truth and are born again and receive a blessing from God”—Tehophilus of Antioch, To Autolycus 12:16 Date: 181 A.D.

“And when we come to refute them [the gnostic], we shall show in its fitting- place, that this class of men have been instigated by Satan to a denial of that baptism which is regeneration to God, and thus to a renunciation of the whole [Christian] faith…For the baptism instituted by the visible Jesus was for the remission of sins” —Irenaeus, Against Heresies 21:1-2 Date: 189 A.D.

“And [Naaman] dipped himself . . . seven times in the Jordan’ [2 Kgs. 5:14]. It was not for nothing that Naaman of old, when suffering from leprosy, was purified upon his being baptized, but [this served] as an indication to us. For as we are lepers in sin, we are made clean, by means of the sacred water and the invocation of the Lord, from our old transgressions, being spiritually regenerated as newborn babes, even as the Lord has declared: ‘Except a man be born again through water and the Spirit, he shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven” —Irenaeus, Fragment 34 Date: 190 A.D.

“When we are baptized, we are enlightened. Being enlightened, we are adopted as sons. Adopted as sons, we are made perfect. Made perfect, we become immortal . . . ‘and sons of the Most High’ [Ps. 82:6]. This work is variously called grace, illumination, perfection, and washing. It is a washing by which we are cleansed of sins, a gift of grace by which the punishments due our sins are remitted, an illumination by which we behold that holy light of salvation”—Clement of Alexandria, The Instructor of Children 1:6:26:1 Date: 191 A.D.

“Now faith occasions this for us even as the Elders, the disciples of the Apostles, have handed it down to us. First of all, it bids us to keep in mind that we have received baptism for the remission of sins in the name of God the Father and in the name of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who was incarnate, died and rose again, and in the Holy Spirit of God. This baptism is the seal of eternal life and the new birth unto God that we should no longer be the sons of mortal men but of the eternal and perpetual God.” — Irenaeus, The Demonstration of the Apostolic Preaching, Date: 192 A.D.

“Happy is our sacrament of water, in that, by washing away the sins of our early blindness, we are set free and admitted into eternal life. . . . But we, little fishes after the example of our [Great] Fish, Jesus Christ, are born in water, nor have we safety in any other way than by permanently abiding in water. So that most monstrous creature, who had no right to teach even sound doctrine, knew full well how to kill the little fishes—by taking them away from the water!” —Tertullian, Baptism 1 Date: 203 A.D.

Now PLEASE show me when YOUR teaching of amniotic fluid and regeneration started. YOUR theory is that it doesn't matter when the teacing started? Your 500 year teaching is just as valid as the 2,000 year teaching???? Why did God allow men to be deceived for the first 1,500 years of Christianity with this "false teaching" about baptism and then all of a sudden told your men the truth 500 years ago??? Can you see how your theory is bankrupt???

Patient Mary

1. The bible does not teach baptism in water
2. Your church destroyed any evidence of anyone who taught different that you and has for years.

How can we trust the history written by those in power., when they themselves admit they burnt any writings they considered heresy. and they did this for hundreds of years. So when you say it was never taught YOU CAN'T PROVE IT. because the evidence would have went up in flames.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism with water DOES something. We do what he told us to do: baptize all nations

yes it does
1. It gets us wet (for those of us who are properly baptized)
2. It gives us an audience where we can give a testimony of our professed faith and can profess christ in front of everyone. (in my church the baptism ceremony is done in front of family and friends of those being baptised. Many people have come to christ as a witness of the baptism event and the testimonies given.

Maybe YOU don't think that you have to do what he tells you to do but I do. It DOES something when I obey Him

I never said I did not, nor do I preach against water baptism. You just prove once again you do not listen to a work people say!!!

I am against replacing the baptism of the spirit in salvation with the baptism of water of men

Paul mentioned the doctrines of baptisms (plural)

water baptism is just ONE of many baptism..

You force them ALL to be water.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. The bible does not teach baptism in water
2. Your church destroyed any evidence of anyone who taught different that you and has for years.

How can we trust the history written by those in power., when they themselves admit they burnt any writings they considered heresy. and they did this for hundreds of years. So when you say it was never taught YOU CAN'T PROVE IT. because the evidence would have went up in flames.
1. Where you baptized with water?
2. Translation: There is no evidence of what I believe because it was destroyed by burning all documents that prove what I believe.

It is not upon ME to prove what YOU believe. The onerous is on YOU.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol....How can you have been proven to have been wrong many times if your listening to God? That makes no sense.
It does when we have the fact YOU HAVE NOR PROVEN ME WRONG!

Or maybe Satan was talking to you during those times that you were wrong. Soooooooooooo how do you know when it's God or Satan talking to you??? Hmmmmmm.....More things for you to ponder.

Or maybe satan is talking to you during those times?

Maam the same arguments like this go both ways.

You believe what you are taught

I believe what I have studied by listening to many people and actually looking up evidence from the words themselves

As your brother faith said. Baptism does not always mean water. It did not before christ came, it did not after.

Yet YOUR CHURCH claims it does.

You are the one who has not looked at facts. Not me

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. Where you baptized with water?
I was immersed (baptized) in water a year after I was born again when I became poor in spirit and called out for gods mercy like the tax collector did.

2. Translation: There is no evidence of what I believe because it was destroyed by burning all documents that prove what I believe.
You can deny that the roman church destroyed anything they considered heresy and killed and imprisoned people who taught what they considered heresy all you want

it does not make it fact.

It is not upon ME to prove what YOU believe. The onerous is on YOU.

Its up to you to prove to me what you believe.

I already know what I believe.

Your the one calling me a protester who is taught by satan

I just state the fact. You believe what your church teaches you no matter what.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes it does
1. It gets us wet (for those of us who are properly baptized)
2. It gives us an audience where we can give a testimony of our professed faith and can profess christ in front of everyone. (in my church the baptism ceremony is done in front of family and friends of those being baptised. Many people have come to christ as a witness of the baptism event and the testimonies given.

I never said I did not, nor do I preach against water baptism. You just prove once again you do not listen to a work people say!!!

I am against replacing the baptism of the spirit in salvation with the baptism of water of men

Paul mentioned the doctrines of baptisms (plural)

water baptism is just ONE of many baptism..

You force them ALL to be water.
The Church teaches what their is more than ONE baptism; there is a baptism of the Holy Spirit (that doesn't have to do with water) and there is a baptism with water that entails the Holy Spirit. NOTHING is being replaced. Baptism with water is necessary.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It does when we have the fact YOU HAVE NOR PROVEN ME WRONG!
Why does Marymog have to prove you wrong. You have already admitted to being wrong at other times.....o_O

And how is it that YOU are right and all the men who teach opposite of you wrong????

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or maybe satan is talking to you during those times?

Maam the same arguments like this go both ways.

You believe what you are taught

I believe what I have studied by listening to many people and actually looking up evidence from the words themselves

As your brother faith said. Baptism does not always mean water. It did not before christ came, it did not after.

Yet YOUR CHURCH claims it does.

You are the one who has not looked at facts. Not me
No, I am not wrong because I never said I was right. Everything I have said are the teachings of The Church which is the pillar and foundation of truth according to the bible. Satan can not lead The Church astray. The gates of hell will NOT prevail against it...Just like Jesus said. Can the gates of hell prevail against you EG?? Oh yeah, you already admitted it has because you have admitted to being wrong!

The bible doesn't say Eternally Grateful is the pillar and foundation of truth.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Church teaches what their is more than ONE baptism; there is a baptism of the Holy Spirit (that doesn't have to do with water) and there is a baptism with water that entails the Holy Spirit. NOTHING is being replaced. Baptism with water is necessary.
You claim romans 6 is water baptism correct?

you claim 1 cor 12 is water baptism correct?

You claim col 2 is water baptism correct?

You claim Gal 3 is water baptism correct?

You already proved you claim titus 3 is water baptism correct?

If I am wrong. please correct me

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why does Marymog have to prove you wrong. You have already admitted to being wrong at other times.....o_O

And how is it that YOU are right and all the men who teach opposite of you wrong????

see here we go. this is how every conversation with a catholic goes.

It goes to attack and trying to take away from what is actually being said.

does this help you keep your faith?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I am not wrong because I never said I was right. Everything I have said are the teachings of The Church which is the pillar and foundation of truth according to the bible. Satan can not lead The Church astray. The gates of hell will NOT prevail against it...Just like Jesus said. Can the gates of hell prevail against you EG?? Oh yeah, you already admitted it has because you have admitted to being wrong!

The bible doesn't say Eternally Grateful is the pillar and foundation of truth.
I rest my case.

You just proved me right

PS I said you believe whatever you were taught. the wrong part was your church.

ps a gate is a defensive weapon not an offensive weapon. satan does not come after the church with a gate to try to destroy it. Satan uses the gate to keep the church out. to keep us from going to spread the gospel to rescue people from out of the world.

CHRIST IS THE PILLAR AND FOUNDATION OF THE CHURCH and the truth

Not peter.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You claim romans 6 is water baptism correct?

you claim 1 cor 12 is water baptism correct?

You claim col 2 is water baptism correct?

You claim Gal 3 is water baptism correct?

You already proved you claim titus 3 is water baptism correct?

If I am wrong. please correct me
Romans 6: The book of Romans was written about 20 years after the death of Christ. They had been baptizing WITH WATER for 20+ years. Soooooo how do you think the NT Christians understood being "baptized into his death"? HOW does one get "baptized into his death" if not with water EG?

1 Corinthians 12: Says that we were all baptized into one Spirit, one body. When that letter was written to the church in Corinth ALL Christians were baptized (with water) into the Holy Spirit. How do we know that passage means with WATER? Because they were all made to drink of one Spirit. 1 Corinthians 10:1-2 talks about how all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea! Can you not see how 1 Corinthian's is dripping wet by equating water and baptism???

Colossians 2: Equates circumcisions and baptism. What did the Jews who converted Christianity do EG? They ended the old covenant of circumcision and started the new covenant of WATER baptism. The text mentions “…putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ” (v. 11) and then comes the connection to baptism. The words of Col. 2:12 echo those in Rom. 6:4.

Galatians 3: How do you get baptized into Christ without using water EG? YOU have to explain that....not me. For you see Scripture is dripping wet when it comes to equating WATER and BAPTISM. Just because the word "water" baptism isn't in the vs your theory is that it's NOT meaning WATER baptism???? Hmmmmm

These things have been taught for 2,000 years. You have been corrected. Now only if those men that wrongly taught you could be corrected life would be good.....

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 6: The book of Romans was written about 20 years after the death of Christ. They had been baptizing WITH WATER for 20+ years. Soooooo how do you think the NT Christians understood being "baptized into his death"? HOW does one get "baptized into his death" if not with water EG?

1 Corinthians 12: Says that we were all baptized into one Spirit, one body. When that letter was written to the church in Corinth ALL Christians were baptized (with water) into the Holy Spirit. How do we know that passage means with WATER? Because they were all made to drink of one Spirit. 1 Corinthians 10:1-2 talks about how all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea! Can you not see how 1 Corinthian's is dripping wet by equating water and baptism???

Colossians 2: Equates circumcisions and baptism. What did the Jews who converted Christianity do EG? They ended the old covenant of circumcision and started the new covenant of WATER baptism. The text mentions “…putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ” (v. 11) and then comes the connection to baptism. The words of Col. 2:12 echo those in Rom. 6:4.

Galatians 3: How do you get baptized into Christ without using water EG? YOU have to explain that....not me. For you see Scripture is dripping wet when it comes to equating WATER and BAPTISM. Just because the word "water" baptism isn't in the vs your theory is that it's NOT meaning WATER baptism???? Hmmmmm

These things have been taught for 2,000 years. You have been corrected. Now only if those men that wrongly taught you could be corrected life would be good.....
Thank you,

You just proved that you use water baptism in replacement of spirit baptism.

It does not matter what they practiced.

it matters what the word says

We were BAPTIZED INTOa CHRIST

Not water

We were BAPTIZED INTO HIS DEATH not water.

We were BAPTIZED INTO HIS BODY. Not water.

Your church destroyed the word by giving it a religious meaning, Not interpret the word for what it actually said.

Baptize is not a native english word. It is a greek word. The greeek, not english, defenition must be used.

As I explained to your brother faith. The greek word is not interpreted the way the roman church interpret it. It does not always mean water, like you here are showing what you believe.

Matt 3: 11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

This is baptism of the spirit and baptism in fire

Can you explain what this means?

Is the baptism of Jesus not greater than the baptism of John or the baptism performed by disciples or priests?

Is this not how one gets to heaven?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I rest my case.

You just proved me right

PS I said you believe whatever you were taught. the wrong part was your church.

ps a gate is a defensive weapon not an offensive weapon. satan does not come after the church with a gate to try to destroy it. Satan uses the gate to keep the church out. to keep us from going to spread the gospel to rescue people from out of the world.

CHRIST IS THE PILLAR AND FOUNDATION OF THE CHURCH and the truth

Not peter.
Of course I believe what I was taught because the pillar and foundation of truth taught it. And the passage that I am refering do DOES NOT say that Christ is the pillar and foundation of the Church....STOP adding to Scripture what isn't there and twisting it to fit what YOU believe.

But you believing what you teach yourself is more noble? Better? Because you are smarter than the men of The Church? Help me out here. Where does scripture say EG is the pillar and foundation of truth? Where does scripture say we are to go to EG when we want to settle our differences and EG gets to determine who is to be treated as a pagan or tax collector? Show me that in Scripture EG. If you can't then you are just wasting your time trying to convince me that YOU are right and EVERYONE else is WRONG....;)

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course I believe what I was taught because the pillar and foundation of truth taught it. And the passage that I am refering do DOES NOT say that Christ is the pillar and foundation of the Church....STOP adding to Scripture what isn't there and twisting it to fit what YOU believe.

Christ did not teach it. Hence the church you espouse is not the pillar and foundation of the truth. Not matter what you say
But you believing what you teach yourself is more noble? Better? Because you are smarter than the men of The Church? Help me out here. Where does scripture say EG is the pillar and foundation of truth? Where does scripture say we are to go to EG when we want to settle our differences and EG gets to determine who is to be treated as a pagan or tax collector? Show me that in Scripture EG. If you can't then you are just wasting your time trying to convince me that YOU are right and EVERYONE else is WRONG....;)
No, I believe what the Bible says.

See you can not even respond. You think just because your church teaches it is is truth. In spite of all the evidence to the contrary.

You want me to believe Paul spoke of being baptised (in water) in Christ.

Thats not what the word says in romans 6.

it says we were immersed (baptized) into Christ

When you listen to men and do not look at facts. Thats what you get.

Last edited: