Catholics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think God is giving instructions on how to build the Ark.

Exodus 25
20 And the cherubims shall stretch forth their wings on high, covering the mercy seat with their wings, and their faces shall look one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubims be.

To make images of heavenly things, apparently.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think God is giving instructions on how to build the Ark.

Exodus 25
20 And the cherubims shall stretch forth their wings on high, covering the mercy seat with their wings, and their faces shall look one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubims be.
And He's commanding Moses to create 2 golden images.
The people fell on their faces and prostrated themselves before the Ark (Josh. 7:6) which had 2 golden images of Cherubim on top of it.

Was this the "appearance of evil"??

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The people fell on their faces and prostrated themselves before the Ark (Josh. 7:6) which had 2 golden images of Cherubim on top of it.
Cat got your tongue, Job??

Joshua 7
6 And Joshua rent his clothes, and fell to the earth upon his face before the ark of the Lord until the eventide, he and the elders of Israel, and put dust upon their heads.

<snip>

10 And the Lord said unto Joshua, Get thee up; wherefore liest thou thus upon thy face?

The Lord doesn't recognize any of Joshua's actions as worship. He tells Joshua to get up and then asks why he was laying face down.

No justification for images there. Care to try again?

m

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joshua 7
6 And Joshua rent his clothes, and fell to the earth upon his face before the ark of the Lord until the eventide, he and the elders of Israel, and put dust upon their heads.

10 And the Lord said unto Joshua, Get thee up; wherefore liest thou thus upon thy face?

The Lord doesn't recognize any of Joshua's actions as worship. He tells Joshua to get up and then asks why he was laying face down.
No justification for images there. Care to try again?m
WRONG.
Joshua and the Elders were in prayer to God.
God merely told Joshua to get up so that He could basically scold Israel through him for sinning.

R*E*A*D the text . . .

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Um...1 Kings 6:32

1 Kings 6
32 The two doors were of olive wood; and he carved on them figures of cherubim, palm trees, and open flowers, and overlaid them with gold; and he spread gold on the cherubim and on the palm trees.

The Lord consecrated what Solomon had done, but it came with a warning:

1 Kings 9
6 But if you or your sons at all turn from following Me, and do not keep My commandments and My statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods and worship them,
7 then I will cut off Israel from the land which I have given them; and this house which I have consecrated for My name I will cast out of My sight. Israel will be a proverb and a byword among all peoples.

That house was totally destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar's captain of the guard, Nebuzaradan. Everything inside busted up and hauled away.

Again, I know what you're trying to say but it's just not there.......in my opinion.

o

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Kings 6
32 The two doors were of olive wood; and he carved on them figures of cherubim, palm trees, and open flowers, and overlaid them with gold; and he spread gold on the cherubim and on the palm trees.

The Lord consecrated what Solomon had done, but it came with a warning:

1 Kings 9
6 But if you or your sons at all turn from following Me, and do not keep My commandments and My statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods and worship them,
7 then I will cut off Israel from the land which I have given them; and this house which I have consecrated for My name I will cast out of My sight. Israel will be a proverb and a byword among all peoples.

That house was totally destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar's captain of the guard, Nebuzaradan. Everything inside busted up and hauled away.

Again, I know what you're trying to say but it's just not there.......in my opinion.

o

I agree with you that we are not to worship idols. The Catholic Church teaches the same truth. The fact is, there are examples throughout the Bible of heavenly images being made and used in worship of God. Pointing out warnings against worshiping other gods is another topic

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tell your handlers I said: "I don't think so."
In other words - you got Scripturally-spanked again and you don't know how to respond.
The plain fact of the matter is that Joshua and the Elders all prostrated themselves face down before the Ark with it's Golden images on it.

God didn't condemn what they did - He simply told Joshua to stand up so that He could tell him what to convey to Israel about what they had to do to atone for their sins.

This is a classic example of why you're so pathetically wrong about the creation of images.
WORSHIPING them is what God condemns - and YOU just got schooled again by Scripture . . .

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In other words - you got Scripturally-spanked again and you don't know how to respond.
The plain fact of the matter is that Joshua and the Elders all prostrated themselves face down before the Ark with it's Golden images on it.

God didn't condemn what they did - He simply told Joshua to stand up so that He could tell him what to convey to Israel about what they had to do to atone for their sins.

This is a classic example of why you're so pathetically wrong about the creation of images.
WORSHIPING them is what God condemns - and YOU just got schooled again by Scripture . . .

Old Man

Apr 28, 2011
Steubenville, OH
stpaulcenter.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are you angry? I'm simply showing what the scriptures say in regards to bowing to images. If you feel you're the right, blow me off. You don't have to listen to me.

Question: Are you ok with the catholic church changing the 10 commandments? They removed one of the commandments. Are you familiar with that?

Not angry. Frustrated at your refusal to see the distinction between bowing and worshiping. And I know you are unreachable, but there may be someone reading who might not be.

New topic! OK. One of the oldest "disputes" around. The question of numbering the commandments. If you want to split the first commandment into two and combine the 9th and 10th, that's fine with me. Much more important to follow them than to number them correctly. It's just a matter of which tradition you choose to follow.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Frustrated at your refusal to see the distinction between bowing and worshiping.

There is no distinction.

Exodus 20
4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,

Do you see the distinction now? Do not bow down nor worship them.

k

Reactions: Dcopymope

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no distinction.

Exodus 20
4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,

Do you see the distinction now? Do not bow down nor worship them.

k

You would think that this is not something you would have to point out to long time believers, but the short comings of the "body of Christ" never fails. There really is no excuse in this day and age where technology makes studying the Bible far easier than it ever was before.

Reactions: Job

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you mind posting the passages?
Still waiting.....and waiting......take your time Aspen. :)
Ummmm, they've already been posted, geniuses - several times, at that . . .

For the top of the Ark that people bowed and prayed and prostrated themselves in front of . . .
Exod. 25:18-19
"You shall make two cherubim of gold, make them of hammered work at the two ends of the mercy seat. Make one cherub at one end and one cherub at the other end; you shall make the cherubim of one piece with the mercy seat at its two ends.…

And for the holiest place in the Temple - the Holy of Holies where only the priests could enter to pray and worship . . .
1 Kings 6:23
For the inner sanctuary he made a pair of cherubim out of olive wood, each ten cubits high.

Consider yourselves BOTH Scripturally-spanked . . .