Catholics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary,

I am feeling very uncomfortable because your posts are leading me to agree with Stranger. I do not like agreeing with Stranger, but honestly, the tone you are presenting on this thread is condescending and heavy-handed.
Big surprise there . . .

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Doesn't take a lawyer or a genius to read a dictionary .
This, from a man who says he knows nothing of the beginning and continuation of the entire church system all Christian churches are based on............doesn't take a lawyer or a genius to read a history book either.
You do write a lot of great things, but you really do seem to completely miss the point on others.........It's very confusing to say the least....... I broke my own restriction and for that I apologize, I just couldn't get past what you wrote there..

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This, from a man who says he knows nothing of the beginning and continuation of the entire church system all Christian churches are based on............doesn't take a lawyer or a genius to read a history book either.
You do write a lot of great things, but you really do seem to completely miss the point on others.........It's very confusing to say the least....... I broke my own restriction and for that I apologize, I just couldn't get past what you wrote there..
Do you want to qualify this lie with some actual evidence??
Can you show me where I made this asinine claim??
Where and when did I ever say that I knew "nothing" of the origins of the Church??

Pat yourself on the back, Pia because you've just joined the ranks of all of the other anti-Catholics who spew lies on this forum . . .
What is it with you people?? Shame on you for lying.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Mary,

I am feeling very uncomfortable because your posts are leading me to agree with Stranger. I do not like agreeing with Stranger, but honestly, the tone you are presenting on this thread is condescending and heavy-handed.

Glad that you said that...I am following every post here..." heavy -handed...like a hammer...very sad....this could be a good enjoyable thread...with people who " give and take" but , sadly it isn't. :rolleyes:

Reactions: aspen and pia

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Glad that you said that...I am following every post here..." heavy -handed...like a hammer...very sad....this could be a good enjoyable thread...with people who " give and take" but , sadly it isn't. :rolleyes:
No, it can't - not with all of the anti-Catholic lies being hurled around here.
There is no "give and take" in lying . . .

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Where and when did I ever say that I knew "nothing" of the origins of the Church??

Pat yourself on the back, Pia because you've just joined the ranks of all of the other anti-Catholics who spew lies on this forum . . .
Fior the very last time BOL. I am not nor have I EVER been anti catholic..........I am against ALL the man made institutionalized religions, I don't care what they call themselves.. ......Because I KNOW that Jesus speaks of HIS church, there can be no usurpers on this earth

For the last time.........I am not, nor have I ever been anti catholic..........I am anti ALL man made religions, I don't care what they call themselves...........I found out that Jesus speaks of His Church, therefore there can be no usurper on this earth of what is HIS and HIS alone..............I feel sad for all those caught in those webs of deceit, but then neither will they go directly to Jesus to gain the truth, the pearl of great prize.........

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fior the very last time BOL. I am not nor have I EVER been anti catholic..........I am against ALL the man made institutionalized religions, I don't care what they call themselves.. ......Because I KNOW that Jesus speaks of HIS church, there can be no usurpers on this earth

For the last time.........I am not, nor have I ever been anti catholic..........I am anti ALL man made religions, I don't care what they call themselves...........I found out that Jesus speaks of His Church, therefore there can be no usurper on this earth of what is HIS and HIS alone..............I feel sad for all those caught in those webs of deceit, but then neither will they go directly to Jesus to gain the truth, the pearl of great prize.........
Soooo, how does this give you permission to tell lies about me?
When did I ever say that I knew "nothing" of the origins of the Church as YOU claim I did??

And YOU talk about "webs of deceit" . . .

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sorry everyone I didn't mean to post that twice, I thought the first one disappeared, thought I had hit a wrong button.

Reactions: Helen

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When did I ever say that I knew "nothing" of the origins of the Church as YOU claim I did??

Projection at its finest....

Reactions: pia

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I wrote to you about the foundation of the first man made church, which I had found when I looked for the history of quite a few religions, as I had wanted to join a fellowship I wanted to know where they came from.
You yourself denied everything I wrote about how they were guilty of the blood of countless saints, of tortures, murders by the 100's of thousands, rapes of both boys, girls and women, they even had their own STREET of bordellos only for the clergy in Rome, they sold bits of paper to the poor, to guarantee them or their kids ( depending on what they could pay ) of going to Heaven, and let's not forget the big one.......Ex-communication , How DARE they do such a thing, only God can do that, and He doesn't..........Did you hear the news recently where they found a mass grave for babies, in a place associated with the Vatican ? Some had lived before being thrown into that well.
Say what you will, but the facts speak for themselves.....just the shear number of priests convicted of child abuse, says it all !!!!! And NO, not just catholic priests, none the less, how can you at least not know this much ?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wrote to you about the foundation of the first man made church, which I had found when I looked for the history of quite a few religions, as I had wanted to join a fellowship I wanted to know where they came from.
You yourself denied everything I wrote about how they were guilty of the blood of countless saints, of tortures, murders by the 100's of thousands, rapes of both boys, girls and women, they even had their own STREET of bordellos only for the clergy in Rome, they sold bits of paper to the poor, to guarantee them or their kids ( depending on what they could pay ) of going to Heaven, and let's not forget the big one.......Ex-communication , How DARE they do such a thing, only God can do that, and He doesn't..........Did you hear the news recently where they found a mass grave for babies, in a place associated with the Vatican ? Some had lived before being thrown into that well.
Say what you will, but the facts speak for themselves.....just the shear number of priests convicted of child abuse, says it all !!!!! And NO, not just catholic priests, none the less, how can you at least not know this much ?
And MOST of what you just wrote is based on lies, myths and legends.
One lie that stands out among them is the one about the Church selling "bits of paper" guaranteeing people a place in Heaven.
This is an unconscionable and unsubstantiated LIE. Why would you make up this sort of filth??

As for excommunication - apparently you're NOT familiar with the Word of God.
St. Paul recommended excommunication for the morally unruly members of the Church (1 Cor. 5:1-13).

As for the priests involved in the recent scandal - ummm, what was the percentage?? What was the "shear number" that were involved?? Was it a huge number - or was it such a small number that you don't want to mention it.

You see - people like YOU propagate these kinds of lies under the shield of, "Well, that's what I heard!"
Shame on you for lying and shame on you for not doing your homework . . .

And you still haven't answered my question: When did I ever say that I knew "nothing" of the origins of the Church as YOU claim I did??

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And MOST of what you just wrote is based on lies, myths and legends.
One lie that stands out among them is the one about the Church selling "bits of paper" guaranteeing people a place in Heaven.
This is an unconscionable and unsubstantiated LIE. Why would you make up this sort of filth??

As for excommunication - apparently you're NOT familiar with the Word of God.
St. Paul recommended excommunication for the morally unruly members of the Church (1 Cor. 5:1-13).

As for the priests involved in the recent scandal - ummm, what was the percentage?? What was the "shear number" that were involved?? Was it a huge number - or was it such a small number that you don't want to mention it.

You see - people like YOU propagate these kinds of lies under the shield of, "Well, that's what I heard!"
Shame on you for lying and shame on you for not doing your homework . . .

And you still haven't answered my question: When did I ever say that I knew "nothing" of the origins of the Church as YOU claim I did??
Recent??? You say RECENT scandal ( recently made public, that's all ).........You implied it by your reply.... I just realized, when I met Jesus the first time I asked Him :" Do I have to go to church now that you have come?" If He had said to me :" Yes, go to the catholic church." I would have immediately gone and I would have stayed put come hell or high water.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No - just holding a person accountable for their lies.

“The future of the Church can and will issue from those whose roots are deep and who live from the pure fullness of their faith. It will not issue from those who accommodate themselves merely to the passing moment or from those who merely criticize others and assume that they themselves are infallible measuring rods.

Indeed....

Reactions: Helen

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Recent??? You say RECENT scandal ( recently made public, that's all ).........You implied it by your reply.... I just realized, when I met Jesus the first time I asked Him :" Do I have to go to church now that you have come?" If He had said to me :" Yes, go to the catholic church." I would have immediately gone and I would have stayed put come hell or high water.
That is a non-answer.
I asked you some very specific questions based on YOUR remarks:

What was the percentage of priests involved in the scandal?? What was the "shear number" that were involved??
Was it a huge number - or was it such a small number that you'd rather NOT mention it??
Finally - when did I ever say that I knew "nothing" of the origins of the Church as YOU claim I did??

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“The future of the Church can and will issue from those whose roots are deep and who live from the pure fullness of their faith. It will not issue from those who accommodate themselves merely to the passing moment or from those who merely criticize others and assume that they themselves are infallible measuring rods.

Indeed....
Like I said - that's great preachin'.

As for me - I don't possess the charisma of infallibility like the Pope does - and I never claimed to.

Last edited:

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I began reading the Bible 6 1/2 years after my first encounter with Him, and I must say, it didn't take me long to get confused. Also what the Pastor sometimes spoke of, was 100% wrong ( according to Jesus), and that made it an untenable position to be in. I won't challenge a Pastor, that's Jesus' job. I started seeking Jesus more and more for the answers, and for the past 3 decades He has been kind enough, to keep answering me.
What used to happen more than any other, would be that Jesus would explain something to me in plain ( almost kindergarten level ) words, I would share it with someone, who would show me where in the Bible they would find a reference to it.
The errors we make most often is that we don't 'Rightly divide the word of Truth' and sadly those who continued the Church, did it in an incorrect way, by mixing it with pagan rituals and festivals, thus diluting the Truth, and sadder still, they are the ones to this day, who keep believers bound, to a man put together system, our Lord never intended, by not being taught by The Holy Spirit, The Spirit of Truth! Why look elsewhere?
The underlined above is an absolute falsehood. Do we tell lies about your system?
Is Catholicism Pagan? | Catholic Answers

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Like I said - that's great preachin'.

As for me - I don't possess the charisma of infallibility like the Pope does - and I never claimed to.
Due to the brain damaging powers of sola scriptura, infallibility is almost impossible to be understood.

It is very interesting to note that in I Timothy 3:15 we see, not the Bible, but the Church – that is, the living community of believers founded upon St. Peter and the Apostles and headed by their successors – called "the pillar and ground of the truth." Of course, this passage is not meant in any way to diminish the importance of the Bible, but it is intending to show that Jesus Christ did establish an authoritative and teaching Church which was commissioned to teach "all nations." (Matt. 28:19). Elsewhere this same Church received Christ’s promise that the gates of hell would not prevail against it (Matt. 16:18), that He would always be with it (Matt. 28:20), and that He would give it the Holy Spirit to teach it all truth. (John 16:13). To the visible head of His Church, St. Peter, Our Lord said: "And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and, whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven." (Matt. 16:19). It is plainly evident from these passages that Our Lord emphasized the authority of His Church and the role it would have in safeguarding and defining the Deposit of Faith.

It is also evident from these passages that this same Church would be infallible, for if at any time in its history it would definitively teach error to the Church as a whole in matters of faith or morals – even temporarily – it would cease being this "pillar and ground of the truth." Since a "ground" or foundation by its very nature is meant to be a permanent support, and since the above-mentioned passages do not allow fro the possibility of the Church ever definitively teaching doctrinal or moral error, the only plausible conclusion is that Our Lord was very deliberate in establishing His Church and that He was referring to its infallibility when He called it the "pillar and ground of the truth."
Twenty One Reasons to Reject Sola Scriptura

divinerev.jpg

Reactions: BreadOfLife

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
was that for me ? I'm not sure what it means
You wrote:
The errors we make most often is that we don't 'Rightly divide the word of Truth' and sadly those who continued the Church, did it in an incorrect way, by mixing it with pagan rituals and festivals, thus diluting the Truth, and sadder still, they are the ones to this day, who keep believers bound, to a man put together system, our Lord never intended,...
I replied:
The underlined above is an absolute falsehood. Do we tell lies about your system?

To narrow it down so you can see exactly what I am objecting to the most:
"mixing it with pagan rituals and festivals" This LIE has never been proven. It was invented by atheists and fund/evang largely from the 18th century. Please read the link and avoid embarrassing yourself in the future.