Catholics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
seems to be attributed to him a lot. Who do you think, Martin Luther?
Hi bbyrd,

That statement can not be found in ANY of his writings.

It doesn't matter to me WHO said it. To say that Augustine said (wrote) it is a lie or at a minimum intellectually dishonest.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not a debate thread, but is a thread where we could learn more about Catholics, these are all pretty basic questions I'm starting this thread of with, but I think a lot of us other Christians have been taught wrongly about the Catholics. Now i would rather hear from Catholics themselves, about what are the differences between Catholics to other Christians are? What makes a Catholic a Catholic? What are the traditions in the Catholic Church? What's the significance of Mary the mother of Jesus to the Catholics? When did the Catholic Church start? What were the original Catholics like compared to today? Others please feel free to ask questions to our Catholic members on this forum as well, but please try not to turn this into a debate..... If that's possible. Lets give the Catholics a fair go.
Hi Josho,

Here is what I have found concerning the traditions of the Catholic Church. The Didache, also known as The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles, was written around 80 AD which is before some NT books. Part of it instructs Christians on what to do on Sunday: “on every Lord's day gather yourselves together, break bread and give thanks after having confessed your transgressions”. Catholics still do that when they gather at Church.

Around the year 152 AD Justin Martyr wrote: On the day called Sunday there is a gathering together in the same place of all who live in a given city or rural district. The memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read (scripture), as long as time permits. Then when the reader ceases, the president (priest) in a discourse admonishes and urges the imitation of these good things. Next we all rise together and send up prayers. When we cease from our prayer, bread is presented and wine and water. The president in the same manner sends up prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people sing out their assent, saying the 'Amen.' A distribution and participation of the elements (Eucharist) for which thanks have been given is made to each person, and to those who are not present they are sent by the deacons. Those who have means and are willing, each according to his own choice, gives what he wills, and what is collected is deposited with the president. He provides for the orphans and widows, those who are in need on account of sickness or some other cause, those who are in bonds, strangers who are sojourning, and in a word he becomes the protector of all who are in need. And this food is called among us the Eucharist….it is the flesh and blood of that Jesus who was made flesh. In the year 2017 the Catholic Church still practices this in their daily mass.

The Catholic Church conducts DAILY MASS all around the world which fulfills Acts 2:46. Other denominations conduct church services on Sunday and some Saturdays.

In those daily masses the readings from scripture are all the same so a Catholic in California is receiving the same word as a Catholic in Calcutta.

Two thousand years later they still use wine. The tradition of some Protestant churches is to use grape juice which was started in the mid to late 1800's.

It seems that the Catholic Church is fulfilling 2 Thess 2:15.

My two cents worth of research. Hope it helps.

Mary

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
seems to be attributed to him a lot. Who do you think, Martin Luther?

Dorothy Day.

Tony campollo attributed the quote to Augustine and it has been misquoted ever since

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi bbyrd,

That statement can not be found in ANY of his writings.

It doesn't matter to me WHO said it. To say that Augustine said (wrote) it is a lie or at a minimum intellectually dishonest.

Mary

I already addressed this issue in #1712 and #1716.

I relied on Tony Campollo for the quote - he was mistaken and so was I. A mistake is neither a lie nor a intellectual dishonesty; especially when it is corrected.

Reactions: Helen and Marymog

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it isn't like Augustine does not have plenty of problems all by himself lol

And it isn't as if Dorothy Day is any less of a Catholic than Augustine either. Misattributting an idea to the wrong person takes nothing away from the message.

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Two thousand years later they still use wine. The tradition of some Protestant churches is to use grape juice which was started in the mid to late 1800's.

Oh good...something that we totally agree upon for one :D
...it's a crazy idea..even if it was started so that alcoholics could take it and not fall off the wagon.
=====

And it isn't as if Dorothy Day is any less of a Catholic than Augustine either. Misattributed an idea to the wrong person takes nothing away from the message.

Food for thought...Yes, I agree..IF what is said, "speaks to the inner man for good or righteousness...it really doesn't matter who the vessel is the God uses...God can "speak " to us in any way He pleases, and often uses asses!!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
dunno who this Day person is tho

Dorothy Day, Obl.S.B. (November 8, 1897 – November 29, 1980) was an American journalist, social activist, and Catholicconvert. Day initially lived a bohemian lifestyle before gaining fame as a social activist after her conversion. She later became a key figure in the Catholic Worker Movement[1] and earned a national reputation as a political radical,[2] perhaps the most famous radical in American Catholic Church history.[3]

Reactions: bbyrd009

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have showed you already that Peter was never in Rome. That he did not establish the Roman Church. Thus your claim to trace your church back to the apostles is a lie.

You, my friend, are part of the Roman Church. Not the Catholic Church. Unless you have been born-again. Have you?

Stranger
And I've already explained to you that "Babylon" is a 1st century code word for Rome and that's why John refers to Rome as "Babylon" in Revelation.

I gave you the testimonies of the Early Church on the matter - and ALL you could come back with was "They lied!".
What a pathetic excuse for an answer . . .

Reactions: Marymog

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Roman. I did pay attention. All is Roman. Not Catholic. Roman.

Stranger
Nope.
Melkite, Maronite, Byzantine, Syro Malabar, et al - NONE of them are "Roman" Catholics.

You LOSE this round because you refuse to do your homework . . .

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I've already explained to you that "Babylon" is a 1st century code word for Rome and that's why John refers to Rome as "Babylon" in Revelation.

I gave you the testimonies of the Early Church on the matter - and ALL you could come back with was "They lied!".
What a pathetic excuse for an answer . . .

Oh yes, when dealing with Roman theology, something always means something else. And that something else is whatever the Romans think they need it to mean. Handy.

They did lie, or ignorantly furthered the lie. It is not pathetic if it is right. And it is.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope.
Melkite, Maronite, Byzantine, Syro Malabar, et al - NONE of them are "Roman" Catholics.

You LOSE this round because you refuse to do your homework . . .

As I said, if they are part of the Roman Church, then they are Roman. And, as I said before reread my post #1706.

Stranger

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it isn't like Augustine does not have plenty of problems all by himself lol
Hi Bbyrd009,

What, in your opinion, are the two top "problems" Augustine had?

Curious Mary

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Hi Bbyrd009,

What, in your opinion, are the two top "problems" Augustine had?

Curious Mary
ha where to start

Augustinianism and deathbed conversion (which i thought was Augustinianism until a second ago), i guess

disregarding that he was obviously as in the world as one could be

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
ok, and i guess Augustine is a revered figure in Catholicism, don't know if he is worshipped too or not but i shouldn't be belittling him, i never knew the guy personally. I was introduced to Augustine via Roman History, and forget his influence/position in your church, my apologies there.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha where to start

Augustinianism and deathbed conversion (which i thought was Augustinianism until a second ago), i guess

disregarding that he was obviously as in the world as one could be
Hi,

Thank you for the short and direct response. I am not familiar with Augustine and and death bed conversion?

I don't know what that means. Augustine taught that it was ok to convert to Christianity on your deathbed?

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok, and i guess Augustine is a revered figure in Catholicism, don't know if he is worshipped too or not but i shouldn't be belittling him, i never knew the guy personally. I was introduced to Augustine via Roman History, and forget his influence/position in your church, my apologies there.
Dear sir,

I appreciate your apology however since I'm not Catholic you couldn't offend me. Many of my beliefs fall into the Catholic/Orthodox doctrine. I didn't see anything that you said that was offensive.

Who are the Christian influences in your life bbyrd009?

Mary

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Augustine influenced all branches of Christianity. Here is a paragraph from Wikipedia:

[9] Many Protestants, especially Calvinists and Lutherans, consider him to be one of the theological fathers of the Protestant Reformation due to his teachings on salvation and divine grace.[10][11][12] Lutherans, and Martin Luther in particular, have held Augustine in preeminence (after the Bible and St. Paul). Luther himself was a member of the Order of the Augustinian Eremites (1505–1521)

Yes....I Do.