Law Based Religions and the Gospel

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All religions are based upon the Mosiac law that Jesus taught. This is very unfortunate because the law has been abolished, Jesus nailed it to his cross.

"Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross" Colossians 2:14.

"Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in the ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace" Ephesians 2:15.

"In that he said, A New Covenant he has made the first old. Now that which is decaying and waxing old is ready to vanish away, Hebrews 8:13.

Paul confirmed all of this when he said, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4.

Living by laws, rules and religion is like trying to feed a dead horse. The reason that God abolished the Law is so that we will live by faith, Paul said, "The just shall live by faith" Romans 1:17. They live by faith in Christ and his Gospel. In the Gospel Jesus justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles them and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18-19.

To be under the law or subject to the law is to be under the curse, "For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse" Galatians 3:10.

Being under the law or subject to the law provokes God's wrath, "Because the law works wrath: for where there is no law, there is no sin" Romans 4:15.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All religions are based upon the Mosiac law that Jesus taught. This is very unfortunate because the law has been abolished, Jesus nailed it to his cross.
Actually, Jesus taught that the Mosaic Law was strictly for Israel. However, it is true that all religious systems of the world, save Christianity, have strictly self-justifying systems. That is, they do not properly rely on the only true source of Justification for Eternal Life, Jesus Christ.

That being said, it is better to have "law," as such, than to have lawlessness. If the world is ignorant of true Christianity, then it should have law even without Christianity. All men have a conscience, and God's Word speaks to the consciences of all men. People need a law by which to live according to their consciences.

And so, the law, ie generic law, promotes order and is, I believe, pleasing to God. He is not pleased with the lack of true religion, but He is pleased with our attention to conscience and to His Word, whether people know they are doing that or not.

But Eternal Life comes not by success under the law of Man, but rather, by God's mercy. And that mercy was best expressed in Christ's atonement. Knowing about Christ's atonement can bring men not just attention to conscience but also the assurance of Eternal Life. And that is God's highest desire, to have us live in fellowship with Him forever, and not just mechanically follow the laws of men.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, Jesus taught that the Mosaic Law was strictly for Israel. However, it is true that all religious systems of the world, save Christianity, have strictly self-justifying systems. That is, they do not properly rely on the only true source of Justification for Eternal Life, Jesus Christ.

That being said, it is better to have "law," as such, than to have lawlessness. If the world is ignorant of true Christianity, then it should have law even without Christianity. All men have a conscience, and God's Word speaks to the consciences of all men. People need a law by which to live according to their consciences.

And so, the law, ie generic law, promotes order and is, I believe, pleasing to God. He is not pleased with the lack of true religion, but He is pleased with our attention to conscience and to His Word, whether people know they are doing that or not.

But Eternal Life comes not by success under the law of Man, but rather, by God's mercy. And that mercy was best expressed in Christ's atonement. Knowing about Christ's atonement can bring men not just attention to conscience but also the assurance of Eternal Life. And that is God's highest desire, to have us live in fellowship with Him forever, and not just mechanically follow the laws of men.
I agree the unsaved need the law because they don't have the Holy Spirit, but not Christians.

Reactions: Randy Kluth

doran

Oct 18, 2023
Lake Worth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree the unsaved need the law because they don't have the Holy Spirit, but not Christians.
Actually, the "unsaved" need the Gospel. The precious Gospel is the power of God unto salvation, not the Law (Rom 1:16).

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, the "unsaved" need the Gospel. The precious Gospel is the power of God unto salvation, not the Law (Rom 1:16).
I agree. Unfortunately, most don't want the Gospel. What they want is religion. Religion is appealing to the flesh.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All religions are based upon the Mosiac law that Jesus taught.
All? That is not true.
This is very unfortunate because the law has been abolished, Jesus nailed it to his cross.

"Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross" Colossians 2:14.

"Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in the ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace" Ephesians 2:15.

"In that he said, A New Covenant he has made the first old. Now that which is decaying and waxing old is ready to vanish away, Hebrews 8:13.

Paul confirmed all of this when he said, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believes" Romans 10:4.

Living by laws, rules and religion is like trying to feed a dead horse. The reason that God abolished the Law is so that we will live by faith, Paul said, "The just shall live by faith" Romans 1:17. They live by faith in Christ and his Gospel. In the Gospel Jesus justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles them and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18-19.

To be under the law or subject to the law is to be under the curse, "For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse" Galatians 3:10.

Being under the law or subject to the law provokes God's wrath, "Because the law works wrath: for where there is no law, there is no sin" Romans 4:15.
Now, post each of those passages with the exact parallel from the mouth of Immanuel himself.

Don't say the Pharisee Paul is speaking for Immanuel , Jesus. Show where Paul is repeating verbatim what Immanuel said during his ministry. Even after resurrection.

doran

Oct 18, 2023
Lake Worth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All? That is not true.

Now, post each of those passages with the exact parallel from the mouth of Immanuel himself.

Don't say the Pharisee Paul is speaking for Immanuel , Jesus. Show where Paul is repeating verbatim what Immanuel said during his ministry. Even after resurrection.
Here's the following for your consideration:

John 16:12-15
12 "I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.
NIV

And,

2 Cor 13:2-3a
2 I already gave you a warning when I was with you the second time. I now repeat it while absent: On my return I will not spare those who sinned earlier or any of the others, 3 since you are demanding proof that Christ is speaking through me .
NIV

In other words the entire NT finds its ground in the Living Word's teaching. This makes sense. Didn't the Father command Jesus' disciples to "Listen to Him" (Mk 9:7)!? And so they did. They listened right up to the close of the NT canon. And besides all this, isn't all scripture God-breathed and "profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction and and for training in righteousness (2Tim 3:16)?

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's the following for your consideration:

John 16:12-15
12 "I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.
NIV

And,

2 Cor 13:2-3a
2 I already gave you a warning when I was with you the second time. I now repeat it while absent: On my return I will not spare those who sinned earlier or any of the others, 3 since you are demanding proof that Christ is speaking through me .
NIV

In other words the entire NT finds its ground in the Living Word's teaching. This makes sense. Didn't the Father command Jesus' disciples to "Listen to Him" (Mk 9:7)!? And so they did. They listened right up to the close of the NT canon. And besides all this, isn't all scripture God-breathed and "profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction and and for training in righteousness (2Tim 3:16)?
Thank you for your post.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All? That is not true.

It appears that you don't understand that the law and the commandments have been abolished, Ephesians 2:15. Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It appears that you don't understand that the law and the commandments have been abolished, Ephesians 2:15. Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14.
You are unable to answer? OK.

It appears you are advocating lawlessness.
You are wrong to do that. And God's word does not agree with you.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are unable to answer? OK.

It appears you are advocating lawlessness.
You are wrong to do that. And God's word does not agree with you.
To be under the law or subject to it is to be under a curse, Galatians 3:10. The law has been replaced with the Holy Spirit. Hebrews 8:10-13. To be led by the Holy Spirit is far superior than being led by the law.