CHRistian CHRonology: This Rock WILL Prevail Against the Gates of Hell!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He was the prophet of the most High
Yes, the best of many. But Jesus did not even mention Mary in His rating of who is greatest among those born of women.

Which would only be right for you to concede.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To CAPten-T.I.ME,
Everything, all His plans are carried out precisely in order, in a timely fashion. From six days of creation to all of mankinds historical events _ falling in order _ within 7000 years. All Jesus words were precise and given at the right times.
But let's examine these words and allow me to interpret them:
" When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?”
So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." MATT. 16:13-18

Jesus' main point starts with asking the disciples, "Who do people say He is?" Other disciples offer a few answers. But then he asks them what they think and
Peter speaks up first (not that the other disciples did not know this as well), identifying Who Jesus is, information revealed to all of them supernaturally by God, the Father. So Jesus identifies who Peter is, Simon Bar Jonah (in the same way, to give an example), then Jesus claims that this revelation about Who He is - is the rock, (the supernatural revelation of Christ that will start the Church, and build it as it spreads to all the world). Our Church/ religion is Christianity. This was His main point, the context. It is all about Jesus.

Supportive scriptures:

It is important to read the whole context along with any scripture
Matt. 21:42 confirms that Jesus is The Rock, "The Chief Cornerstone". But read Matt. 21:33-43, the context as well.

"Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures:
‘The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief cornerstone.
This was the Lord’s doing,
And it is marvelous in our eyes’?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To CAPten-T.I.ME,
Everything, all His plans are carried out precisely in order, in a timely fashion. From six days of creation to all of mankinds historical events _ falling in order _ within 7000 years. All Jesus words were precise and given at the right times.
But let's examine these words and allow me to interpret them:
" When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?”
So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." MATT. 16:13-18

Jesus' main point starts with asking the disciples, "Who do people say He is?" Other disciples offer a few answers. But then he asks them what they think and
Peter speaks up first (not that the other disciples did not know this as well), identifying Who Jesus is, information revealed to all of them supernaturally by God, the Father. So Jesus identifies who Peter is, Simon Bar Jonah (in the same way, to give an example), then Jesus claims that this revelation about Who He is - is the rock, (the supernatural revelation of Christ that will start the Church, and build it as it spreads to all the world). Our Church/ religion is Christianity. This was His main point, the context. It is all about Jesus.

Supportive scriptures:

It is important to read the whole context along with any scripture
Matt. 21:42 confirms that Jesus is The Rock, "The Chief Cornerstone". But read Matt. 21:33-43, the context as well.

"Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures:
‘The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief cornerstone.
This was the Lord’s doing,
And it is marvelous in our eyes’?

Jesus is the rock of salvation
But Peter the rock on which the church is built!

Christ cannot be both builder and that which is being built!

you cannot give the keys of jurisdictional authority to a confession!

or power to bind and loose

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is the rock of salvation
But Peter the rock on which the church is built!

Christ cannot be both builder and that which is being built!

you cannot give the keys of jurisdictional authority to a confession!

or power to bind and loose
Peter ... the rock? He denied Jesus three times - some rock. If He was the rock, God wouldn't have needed Paul, who wrote five times as much scripture as Peter. We would have seen Peter take the lead in that regard. Peter didn't have half the brains as Paul AND we even see Paul rebuking Peter for appeasing and going along with the Judaizers who were insisting that the Gentiles needed to be circumsized and keep the law. Paul being an expert in that area and obviously a higher ranking Apostle ( the highest I would say) knew different. Peter once again put his foot in his mouth and needed to be corrected.
It's a shame, Catholism got that wrong for all these centuries.
I always thought there was something fishy about that guy.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter ... the rock? He denied Jesus three times - some rock. If He was the rock, God wouldn't have needed Paul, who wrote five times as much scripture as Peter. We would have seen Peter take the lead in that regard. Peter didn't have half the brains as Paul AND we even see Paul rebuking Peter for appeasing and going along with the Judaizers who were insisting that the Gentiles needed to be circumsized and keep the law. Paul being an expert in that area and obviously a higher ranking Apostle ( the highest I would say) knew different. Peter once again put his foot in his mouth and needed to be corrected.
It's a shame, Catholism got that wrong for all these centuries.
I always thought there was something fishy about that guy.

they had not yet received the power of the HS

Peter and the apostles not Peter alone as his witnesses acts 1:8 and the apostles continue till Christ returns

who is the chief pastor / teacher?

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Mary all powerful advocate!
Help of Christian’s!

Mary ever virgin, mother of God, is all powerful in her prayers!

Mary’s prayers are all powerful not cos she is God but because her son is God!

and on becoming man He (Jesus) obeyed his own commandments

you might check out the one that says “honor Thy father and mother”

“My hour has not come”

The time set by almighty God for the public ministry of Christ had not come, Jesus Christ still performed the miracle cos his mother interceded, thus a higher law, “honor thy father and mother” if ANYONE else asked it would NOT have been done!
John 2

and cos of her intercession the disciples believed in Him!
Jn 2:11
God has no mother.

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
ONLY TO PETER CHRIST SAID: THOU ART PETER AND UPON THIS ROCK I WILL BUILT MY CHURCH, AND THE GATES OF HELL SHALL NOT PREVAIL AGAINST IT!Matt 16:18
If peter is the rock that the church is built upon then Peter must be the head of the Church. Who does the scripture say is the head of the church?
Ephesians 5:23
For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
they had not yet received the power of the HS
Well, that is proof that Peter is not the rock the church is built upon, since Jesus was referring to something there and then. Not something that had to be added later.
Peter and the apostles not Peter alone as his witnesses acts 1:8 and the apostles continue till Christ returns
Then you cannot argue that Peter alone is the rock that the church is built upon

who is the chief pastor / teacher?
Jesus is ...

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If peter is the rock that the church is built upon then Peter must be the head of the Church. Who does the scripture say is the head of the church?
Ephesians 5:23
For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

Christ ascended to heaven so who did he appoint to represent him as the visible head of the church on earth?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, that is proof that Peter is not the rock the church is built upon, since Jesus was referring to something there and then. Not something that had to be added later.
Then you cannot argue that Peter alone is the rock that the church is built upon

Jesus is ...

who does Jesus appoint as pastor Jn 21:17

Saint of God

Mar 31, 2022
Sangre Grande
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Trinidad And Tobago
Christ ascended to heaven so who did he appoint to represent him as the visible head of the church on earth?
Jesus did not appoint any head...What he said was
Luke 9:48
And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.
Was Peter the least of the apostles?