Christian Superstition

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It IS wrong to consume the blood of an animal, according to Law.
Jesus is NOT an animal, however. He is fully Man and fully God.

The life is in the blood - and there is ONE person whose blood saves us.
This is why Jesus told the crowd in John 6 that they MUST eat His flesh and drink His blood or they would have NO LIFE in them.
Do you take this literally too?
Mark 9:43And if your hand offend you, cut it off: it is better for you to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
45And if your foot offends you, cut it off: it is better for you to enter lame into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
47And if your eye offend you, pluck it out: it is better for you to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
That's the way it is though, picking and choosing what to take literally.

Reactions: Truth and Helen

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you take this literally too?
Mark 9:43And if your hand offend you, cut it off: it is better for you to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
45And if your foot offends you, cut it off: it is better for you to enter lame into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
47And if your eye offend you, pluck it out: it is better for you to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
That's the way it is though, picking and choosing what to take literally.
Wrong.

The people who thought as YOU do walked away from Jesus in John 6:66 and returned to their former way of life because they couldn't handle what He was telling them. Jesus didn't call them back or try to explain that He was speaking "symbolically" to them.

No - instead, Jesus turned to the Twelve and said flat out: "Do you also want to leave?"
It appears that YOU can't handle what He said, either.

Because of this teaching - the Early Christians were accused of being "Cannibals" by the Romans and the Jews and were slaughtered for this belief. Were they cannibals and idolators?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Wrong - see post #119.
well to be fair you are trapped in the Hegelian Dialectic right now, as observed by your posts. So, your whole outlook is more or less weighted to "winner/loser" or right/wrong, but a sin for you may not be a sin for me, right? Your observance does not have to be my observance, if it is meaningful to you, that is what matters.

i don't take communion around Catholics not because i object to their perspective, or even that most Catholics object to mine, as few seem to, but because a tower has been built that you, Catholics, are now required to defend, in a sense.

Reactions: Truth

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
This is why Jesus told the crowd in John 6 that they MUST eat His flesh and drink His blood or they would have NO LIFE in them.
pretty sure He did that because that was the best way to offend the most flakes with His mouth, being as how there was never going to be any hacking off of arms, or offering of blood, which would have been the perfect opportunity, right then, right?

i mean if a Guy is telling you "eat My flesh and drink My blood," and He's offering you bread and wine, there is obviously something else being intended. Your dogma has Christ on the cross still though, so really we should not even be allowed to talk in the same room; only men have moved boundary stones to allow you to be here, see

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ALL Protestants follow the traditions and precepts of mere men.
Every single one.
Almost absolutely!

Every single one excepting any who have overcome as Jesus did. I don't know any, but it is not for any of us to say that there are none, is it?
And how many Catholics do any of us know who never need to go to confession before their priest regularly?

Reactions: Truth and bbyrd009

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Change to the Eucharist??
Nope

First of all - the priest doesn't drink "wine" during communion but the Precious Blood of Jesus Christ.
As for the accidents of bread of wine - the body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ is present in BOTH species.
I understand what you believe and I would never expect you to speak differently, but you could have answered the question. Why did only the priest only partake of the wine in earlier times?

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus didn't call them back or try to explain that He was speaking "symbolically" to them.
It appears that you can't handle that Jesus was speaking "symbolically" to them when he said this:

Matt. 26:26 But as they ate, Yeshua took bread and blessed and broke and he gave to his disciples, and he said, "Take eat; this is my body." 27And he took a cup, and he gave thanks and he gave to them, and he said, "Take, drink from it, all of you. 28This is my blood of the new* covenant, which is shed in exchange for the many for the release of sins.

Reactions: Helen

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt. 26:26But as they ate, Yeshua took bread and blessed and broke and he gave to his disciples, and he said, "Take eat; this is my body." 27And he took a cup, and he gave thanks and he gave to them, and he said, "Take, drink from it, all of you. 28This is my blood of the new* covenant, which is shed in exchange for the many for the release of sins.
Bingo.

At the Last Supper, He gave us the Sacramental formula for consuming His Body and Blood.
NOWHERE does He say, "This is a SYMBOL of my body" or "This is METAPHORIALLY my blood."

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nobody "attacked" her.
She made a comment and I held her accountable for it.

BIG difference.
You have stated repeatedly on this forum that your job is to defend against lies about the Catholic Church. She never mentioned Catholics in her post. Her post was talking about people and their errors in serving God. Of course, if you are saying that Catholics never make mistakes, then we would wonder why the confessional is necessary for you.

"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." Matt 12:36-37

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand what you believe and I would never expect you to speak differently, but you could have answered the question. Why did only the priest only partake of the wine in earlier times?
It was a matter of spillage and abuse.

Since from the time of the Apostles, Christians believe every drop that is in the cup to be the Blood of Christ. Because of this - we take every precaution. The cup was not always withheld from the congregation. Because this is a discipline and not a matter of doctrine - it may one day be removed again for all we know.

The Church has taught from the beginning that the Body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ are present under BOTH species.

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bingo.

At the Last Supper, He gave us the Sacramental formula for consuming His Body and Blood.
NOWHERE does He say, "This is a SYMBOL of my body" or "This is METAPHORIALLY my blood."
I'm pretty sure they had enough common sense to know that he didn't mean to literally drink his blood and literally eat his body. Just like they had enough common sense to know that he didn't mean literally cutting off hands and feet and plucking out eyes. Sometimes common sense prevails.

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have stated repeatedly on this forum that your job is to defend against lies about the Catholic Church. She never mentioned Catholics in her post. Her post was talking about people and their errors in serving God. Of course, if you are saying that Catholics never make mistakes, then we would wonder why the confessional is necessary for you.

"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." Matt 12:36-37
If Pia has a problem with me holder her accountable for what she said - then Pia can address it.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure they had enough common sense to know that he didn't mean to literally drink his blood and literally eat his body. Just like they had enough common sense to know that he didn't mean literally cutting off hands and feet and plucking out eyes. Sometimes common sense prevails.
Uh huh - and if they were "pretty sure" about that - why did MOST of His followers leave Him in John 6:66??

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh huh - and if they were "pretty sure" about that - why did MOST of His followers leave Him in John 6:66??
You know what, this is really giving me a headache.
So just go ahead and continue to enjoy drinking blood and eating body parts and be happy, ok?
Just don't expect those of us who aren't Catholic to do the same thing.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was a matter of spillage and abuse.

Since from the time of the Apostles, Christians believe every drop that is in the cup to be the Blood of Christ. Because of this - we take every precaution. The cup was not always withheld from the congregation. Because this is a discipline and not a matter of doctrine - it may one day be removed again for all we know.

The Church has taught from the beginning that the Body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ are present under BOTH species.
Thank you!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Pia has a problem with me holder her accountable for what she said - then Pia can address it.
You are saying that I should not defend others; that they rather should defend themselves. I am quite certain that she is able but sometimes other people do try to obey what God has spoken to their hearts:

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:" Ecc 3:1

"... a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;" Ecc 3:7

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know what, this is really giving me a headache.
So just go ahead and continue to enjoy drinking blood and eating body parts and be happy, ok?
Just don't expect those of us who aren't Catholic to do the same thing.
I never did.
That's why I pray for people like you.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi TT,

I may be misunderstanding what you are trying to say in your example #1 so please walk me thru it.

Are you saying that there are some Christians who believe that the bread and wine of Communion is a physical God?

Thank you in advance....Mary

Since I believe that the bread and wine remain bread and wine (no transubstantiation), it sounds like magic to say that at the words of consecration the bread and wine are no longer the object they seem to be, but become the eternal God, a physical object of worship.

So yes, Catholics are to believe the Eucharist is God Himself, physically also.