Christianese

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no problem with Christianese. I do love Christian people after all. But it is funny to think about some of the terms might be confusing to ousiders.

"You're speaking straight from your flesh!"

"I'm Arminian but I don't speak in tongues. Im a cessationist."

"I'm Reformed Protestand neo Calvinist."

"Are you pre-trib or post-trib? I really think the MOB happens during the GT but I can't quite place the timing of the FP showing up."

Do you all have any Christianese phrases that come to mind?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have no problem with Christianese. I do love Christian people after all. But it is funny to think about some of the terms might be confusing to ousiders.

"Are you pre-trib or post-trib? I really think the MOB happens during the GT but I can't quite place the timing of the FP showing up."

@Wynona - i never heard any of those before and don't understand any of them.:eek:

Reactions: Wynona

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I am afraid that I am close to @Pearl on this. I read and study my Bible, but many of these phrases and abbreviations come from elsewhere, sometimes forums like this one. From such forums I have heard of a few of them but without looking them up I would not understand what they meant because I usually avoid many threads dealing in them deeply. Perhaps others here can relate to it better...

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You've hit the high notes here! It's hard to think of more.

It's in the Lord's hands. In His time. Just praisin' the Lord! Are you born again?

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If they're Christianese than what is a Christianite people.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get it, @Wynona. There are things Christians say that they just pick up and don't know where they came from. They become common things you hear Christians say.... phrases like....
"I feel a check in my spirit."
Now where is that in the Bible?! lol

Reactions: theeblackestblu

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Full emersion or sprinkled?"
"I carry the NIV84, what sword do you use?"
"There will be a combined Pot luck after service this Sunday, ladies bring a plate."
"I'm a born-again, Spirit filled, bible believing, faith walking, tongue talking, holy roller, pentecostal!"
Some of these made me chuckle...lol

Reactions: Angelina

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get it, @Wynona. There are things Christians say that they just pick up and don't know where they came from. They become common things you hear Christians say.... phrases like....
"I feel a check in my spirit."
Now where is that in the Bible?! lol

I don't mind that one, because I feel like they are trying to say God was convicting them of something. I hope no one actually thinks that's in the Bible word for word but you never know these days.

A phrase that does get to me is, "God helps those who help themselves." That's not in the Bible and is untrue.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't mind that one, because I feel like they are trying to say God was convicting them of something. I hope no one actually thinks that's in the Bible word for word but you never know these days.

A phrase that does get to me is, "God helps those who help themselves." That's not in the Bible and is untrue.
I agree, @Wynona. I don't mind it when in reference to actual discernment. But I've seen it overused to make one sound spiritual.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Being unequally yoked, which I couldn't even spell in the beginning.

Do you know how long it took me to stop preaching about egg yolks?

Reactions: Wynona and TLHKAJ