Christians and Jews are both anti Acts 2:38.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Acts 2:38 specifically says baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins. Get it right please. Thank you.

It does not say “baptize because of Jesus”. That is 100% inaccurate.

Just so you know, I wouldn't be baptized in just the name of the Father and the Spirit. It would have to include Jesus, the Son. But by including the Father and the Spirit that is the whole God. They are One.

I think I may have misled you by saying I was baptized in the name of Jesus Christ as if that was the only name I was baptized with. I was baptized into God. Now if you feel that being baptized in the name of Jesus only is the way to go. I really don't have a problem with that. He is the one who died and was buried, and what baptism represents. But baptism in the name of all three is also scriptural according to Matthew. I really didn't catch your meaning of the title of this post. My focus on Acts 2:38 is true repentance to receive the Holy Spirit. Many in the church do not have Him at all and are still being drawn by the Spirit with knowledge of Jesus, but are still dead in their sins. Jesus doesn't know them. I have even found doctrines of demons among Pentecostals who should know better! But I won't hijack your post with my focus. I am thrilled to know you are Pentecostal. They and Methodists combined would be the closest to what I am.

Last edited:
Reactions: GodsBeloved11

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just so you know, I wouldn't be baptized in just the name of the Father and the Spirit. It would have to include Jesus, the Son. But by including the Father and the Spirit that is the whole God. They are One.

I think I may have misled you by saying I was baptized in the name of Jesus Christ as if that was the only name I was baptized with. I was baptized into God. Now if you feel that being baptized in the name of Jesus only is the way to go. I really don't have a problem with that. He is the one who died and was buried, and what baptism represents. But baptism in the name of all three is also scriptural according to Matthew. I really didn't catch your meaning of the title of this post. My focus on Acts 2:38 is true repentance to receive the Holy Spirit. Many in the church do not have Him at all and are still being drawn by the Spirit with knowledge of Jesus, but are still dead in their sins. Jesus doesn't know them. I have even found doctrines of demons among Pentecostals who should know better! But I won't hijack your post with my focus. I am thrilled to know you are Pentecostal. They and Methodists combined would be the closest to what I am.
What is the name of all 3?

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've been baptised in the name of Jesus. It's what we are told to do as believers once we have been saved

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Actually looking back I think I was baptised in all three names. Father, son holy spirit . Most Christians I know have been. Am in the UK though, maybe it's more a thing in churches here ?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been baptised in the name of Jesus. It's what we are told to do as believers once we have been saved
If you were baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, that is not the order of Acts 2:38. Sinners were told to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of their sins, not saints.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually looking back I think I was baptised in all three names. Father, son holy spirit . Most Christians I know have been. Am in the UK though, maybe it's more a thing in churches here ?
Those are titles of a name. Make sure you are rebaptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins as per acts 2:38. If you cannot find someone soon then baptize yourself.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you were baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, that is not the order of Acts 2:38. Sinners were told to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of their sins, not saints.

Not according to man's order of '2:38'.

God doesn't tell sinners to anything other than repent and believe, and sinners don't ask for water to be baptized in.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you...

Sinners that repent were then commanded to be baptized in water.

Those who did not repent at Peter's preaching of the gospel and rejected Jesus as Messiah and Lord, were not baptized, because they would have also refused that.

I.e. Repent now, and be baptized every one of you that do repent.

I repent and believed and was saved, receiving the Spirit of Christ, with free confession form the heart that He is indeed Lord and Savior. Then I got baptized in water at the next opportunity of the church.

God saves upon the hearing of faith from the heart. He doesn't wait around for His people to get into some water over their heads, before He then 'really' saves them.

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Neither by the law of circumcision, nor by the commandment of baptism.

The doctrine of '2:38' is false, and so the reasoning of Scripture from it is carnal.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Not according to man's order of '2:38'.

God doesn't tell sinners to anything other than repent and believe, and sinners don't ask for water to be baptized in.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you...

Sinners that repent were then commanded to be baptized in water.

Those who did not repent at Peter's preaching of the gospel and rejected Jesus as Messiah and Lord, were not baptized, because they would have also refused that.

I.e. Repent now, and be baptized every one of you that do repent.

I repent and believed and was saved, receiving the Spirit of Christ, with free confession form the heart that He is indeed Lord and Savior. Then I got baptized in water at the next opportunity of the church.

God saves upon the hearing of faith from the heart. He doesn't wait around for His people to get into some water over their heads, before He then 'really' saves them.

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Neither by the law of circumcision, nor by the commandment of baptism.

The doctrine of '2:38' is false, and so the reasoning of Scripture from it is carnal.
God gave Peter the keys.

Peter used them for the very first time to open the kingdom of God to sinners at Acts 2:38.

This audience was sinners.

We are to duplicate this command to sinners, not contradict it.

This command to sinners included repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins....

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God gave Peter the keys.

Peter used them for the very first time to open the kingdom of God to sinners at Acts 2:38.

This command to sinners included repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins....
That would be news to Paul, who had to chastise Peter later for his dissimulation in the body of Christ.

I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the very chiefest apostles, though I be nothing.

God gives all His ministers the keys to the kingdom, which He still holds in His hands (Rev 1:18). He doesn't turn doctrine-making over to them. The apostles spoke as the prophets, what God gave them to speak and write in Scripture.

The keys are to unlock the mystery of God in the church by ministry, of the Scriptures, not to become a lawgiver, judging our brethren by our own rule.

Peter is not the Rock of the church, and right after he was given the keys, he tried to use them to rebuke Jesus, and the Lord turned round and rebuked him as Satan's minister. So much for those keys in his hands.

I am not a Roman Catholic.

Every audience is sinners, until they repent and believe the gospel.

Once they repent and believe, no more sinners, but saints.

God does His work of salvation in a moment so soon as He sees the faith of His Son born in the heart, so soon as He sees the blood of the Lamb of God upon the doorposts of their souls.

No 'sinners prayer' nor water baptism needed. Only confession of Jesus from the heart.

Being saved by water baptism is a carnal minded work to boast of.

God doesn't cover His believers, that He has saved by hearing of faith, with a cloud overhead and a pillar of fire before and behind, until they get to the nearest water, lest they die in their sins before they can accomplish 'Acts 2:38'.

No one does. If someone wants to say the very words God gave in that Scripture, then do so with a blessing.

Preaching that one verse for doctrine by which to judge other confessing believers as unsaved is false accusation of the brethren by false doctrine of Scripture.

You people are like the JWs. So soon as you meet someone confessing Jesus as Lord, you lurk and lie in wait for the opportunity to spring your special little doctrine on them. They want to insert Jehovah, and you want to insert Acts 2:38.

I was in a similar separatist group that wanted to insert 'holiness living' according to our standards.

It's all the same spirit of proselytization to draw away disciples after ourselves from the one body of Christ.

I've been there as a leading minister and done that, and now I am free of it, and count it all as but dung, that I may win Christ, and count myself as victorious for 'winning' another one to our group.

I now can freely enjoy good fellowship with all they confess Jesus as Lord.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would be news to Paul, who had to chastise Peter later for his dissimulation in the body of Christ.

I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the very chiefest apostles, though I be nothing.

God gives all His ministers the keys to the kingdom, which He still holds in His hands (Rev 1:18). He doesn't turn doctrine-making over to them. The apostles spoke as the prophets, what God gave them to speak and write in Scripture.

The keys are to unlock the mystery of God in the church by ministry, of the Scriptures, not to become a lawgiver, judging our brethren by our own rule.

Peter is not the Rock of the church, and right after he was given the keys, he tried to use them to rebuke Jesus, and the Lord turned round and rebuked him as Satan's minister. So much for those keys in his hands.

I am not a Roman Catholic.

Every audience is sinners, until they repent and believe the gospel.

Once they repent and believe, no more sinners, but saints.

God does His work of salvation in a moment so soon as He sees the faith of His Son born in the heart, so soon as He sees the blood of the Lamb of God upon the doorposts of their souls.

No 'sinners prayer' nor water baptism needed. Only confession of Jesus from the heart.

Being saved by water baptism is a carnal minded work to boast of.

God doesn't cover His believers, that He has saved by hearing of faith, with a cloud overhead and a pillar of fire before and behind, until they get to the nearest water, lest they die in their sins before they can accomplish 'Acts 2:38'.

No one does. If someone wants to say the very words God gave in that Scripture, then do so with a blessing.

Preaching that one verse for doctrine by which to judge other confessing believers as unsaved is false accusation of the brethren by false doctrine of Scripture.

You people are like the JWs. So soon as you meet someone confessing Jesus as Lord, you lurk and lie in wait for the opportunity to spring your special little doctrine on them. They want to insert Jehovah, and you want to insert Acts 2:38.

I was in a similar separatist group that wanted to insert 'holiness living' according to our standards.

It's all the same spirit of proselytization to draw away disciples after ourselves from the one body of Christ.

I've been there as a leading minister and done that, and now I am free of it, and count it all as but dung, that I may win Christ, and count myself as victorious for 'winning' another one to our group.

I now can freely enjoy good fellowship with all they confess Jesus as Lord.
I see now. You try to pit Paul against Peter to debunk Acts 2:38. Clever but not cool.

Paul was still a sinner during Acts 2.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see now. You try to pit Paul against Peter to debunk Acts 2:38. Clever but not cool.

So were they Peter preached to, until them that repented and believed unto salvation, and then were baptized according to Jesus' commandment.

Paul was not a sinner, when he was led by the Lord Jesus to rebuke Peter for Him.

You try to pit Paul against Peter to debunk Acts 2:38.

I do not pit Paul against Peter, but only quoted the Scriptures that showed a contention between them, and your supposed sole-keys bearer was the one in error.

And I am not 'debunking' Acts 2:38. I am showing by Scripture your doctrine of Acts 2:38 is false, especially when trying to exalt Peter as so-called 'supreme' apostle, like the Catholics.

For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal? Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

As I have said several times already, your doctrine forces you into carnal thinking, so that now, like a Catholic, you say 'I am of Peter'.

You think carnally. I think Scripturally. And so there can be no agreement between us so long as you exalt one apostle above another, and thus exalt one Scripture above all others.

And so, I will stick to one thing only:

How do we receive the Spirit?

Do unsaved sinners receive the Spirit?

Was Cornelius an unsaved sinner, when he recieved the Holy Ghost baptism even as the apostles did?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So were they Peter preached to, until them that repented and believed unto salvation, and then were baptized according to Jesus' commandment.

Paul was not a sinner, when he was led by the Lord Jesus to rebuke Peter for Him.

You try to pit Paul against Peter to debunk Acts 2:38.

I do not pit Paul against Peter, but only quoted the Scriptures that showed a contention between them, and your supposed sole-keys bearer was the one in error.

And I am not 'debunking' Acts 2:38. I am showing by Scripture your doctrine of Acts 2:38 is false, especially when trying to exalt Peter as so-called 'supreme' apostle, like the Catholics.

For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal? Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

As I have said several times already, your doctrine forces you into carnal thinking, so that now, like a Catholic, you say 'I am of Peter'.

You think carnally. I think Scripturally. And so there can be no agreement between us so long as you exalt one apostle above another, and thus exalt one Scripture above all others.

And so, I will stick to one thing only:

How do we receive the Spirit?

Do unsaved sinners receive the Spirit?

Was Cornelius an unsaved sinner, when he recieved the Holy Ghost baptism even as the apostles did?
I see how you read Acts 2:38… “Confess and believe to be saved, then repent and be be baptized for the remission of your sins. Then you shall receive the Holy Ghost”.

That looks like a whopper to me.

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Those are titles of a name. Make sure you are rebaptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins as per acts 2:38. If you cannot find someone soon then baptize yourself.

But I was baptised in Jesus name as well as God and holy spirit so I'm all good.

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God gave Peter the keys.

But I'm no longer a sinner...so why do I need to be baptised again?