Christians and the Law of Moses

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Law of Moses has caused a lot of confusion among Christians and continues to do so. Some Christians believe that nothing within the Torah is applicable to them. Others go in the opposite direction and imagine that everything is still valid. And that is why it is necessary to understand how the Law of Moses applies (or does not apply) today to those who are under the New Covenant.

WHERE IS IT FOUND?

The Law of Moses is frequently referred to as the Torah, but it is only the last four books of the Torah which actually contain the Law. So we need to know what is written in Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

HOW IS IT FOUND?

When we study those books we find that God’s commandments are interspersed with the history of the Israelites in the wilderness. So all the laws are not found in one place, neither are they all categorized neatly into their different components.

WHAT ARE THE COMPONENTS OF THE LAW?

There are at least ten broad components to the Law of Moses. They are laws applicable to the:

1. Tabernacle (or temple) and its sacrifices and offerings
2. Levitical priesthood
3. Levites
4. Feasts (including harvests, tithes, feasts, festivals and holy days)
5. Covenants with Israel
6. Civil and military laws (including laws applicable to physical appearance, purification, Nazarites, marriage, inheritance, vows, numbering, battles, sieges, and spoils of war, kings, division of land, etc.)
7. Criminal laws or laws of justice (including usury) which frequently had the death penalty
8. Health and disease laws
9. Dietary laws, and
10. Moral and Spiritual laws (including the Ten Commandments)

THE TEN COMMANDMENT ARE ETERNAL
The Ten Commandments are based upon the absolute holiness and righteousness of God – the character of God. Since God does not change, those laws are eternal. While they were written on tablets of stone in the Old Covenant, they are written on hearts and minds by the Holy Spirit within the New Covenant. And they are summed up in the Law of Christ, which is the Law of Love. So Christians are not lawless and devoid of the commandments of God. Indeed the Law of Love is even more stringent than the Law of Moses.

WHICH LAWS ARE NULL AND VOID

According to the epistle to the Hebrews, the laws pertaining to the tabernacle or temple, the Levitical priesthood, the Levities, the offerings and sacrifices, the feasts, festivals and holy days, as well as ceremonial observances, are all null and void. Other laws pertaining to Israel as a nation cannot be applied since the temple has been destroyed. So the only laws which are meaningful are the moral and spiritual laws.

WHICH LAWS ARE STILL VALID

According to Acts 15:28,29, the Holy Spirit has applied only four laws to the Church, and they primarily forbid the consumption of blood or meats sacrificed to idols. Fornication is also forbidden:
For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; That ye [1] abstain from meats offered to idols, and [2] from blood, and [3] from things strangled, and [4] from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Reactions: dev553344 and Taken

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, according to Matthew 5:17-20 all the laws in the OT are still valid.

Romans 6:14, Romans 7:4, Galatians 2:19, Romans 7:6 all say that there is no more condemnation coming from them and that we are delivered from all of them as concerning condemnation.

That being said, in Hebrews it is written that the law is written on the hearts and minds of New Covenant believers.

This is the law as it has been changed (Hebrews 7:12) from the letter to the spirit (Romans 7:6, 2 Corinthians 3:6).

The New Testament tells us the virtues we are to follow...and the OT tells us the requirement for those who would seek to be justified by works (Galatians 3:10, james 2:10, Matthew 5:48). All of the laws in the OT are valid...and if you teach otherwise you will be called the least in the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 5:17-20).

We are not under the law, are dead to the law, and are delivered from the law; and yet the law is written on our hearts and in our minds.

This is to say that the law no longer condemns us from the outside, as being written on tables of stone; but it governs us from the inside, as being written on fleshy tables of human hearts (2 Corinthians 3:3).

Reactions: dev553344

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Law of Moses has caused a lot of confusion among Christians and continues to do so. Some Christians believe that nothing within the Torah is applicable to them. Others go in the opposite direction and imagine that everything is still valid. And that is why it is necessary to understand how the Law of Moses applies (or does not apply) today to those who are under the New Covenant.

WHERE IS IT FOUND?

The Law of Moses is frequently referred to as the Torah, but it is only the last four books of the Torah which actually contain the Law. So we need to know what is written in Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

HOW IS IT FOUND?

When we study those books we find that God’s commandments are interspersed with the history of the Israelites in the wilderness. So all the laws are not found in one place, neither are they all categorized neatly into their different components.

WHAT ARE THE COMPONENTS OF THE LAW?

There are at least ten broad components to the Law of Moses. They are laws applicable to the:

1. Tabernacle (or temple) and its sacrifices and offerings
2. Levitical priesthood
3. Levites
4. Feasts (including harvests, tithes, feasts, festivals and holy days)
5. Covenants with Israel
6. Civil and military laws (including laws applicable to physical appearance, purification, Nazarites, marriage, inheritance, vows, numbering, battles, sieges, and spoils of war, kings, division of land, etc.)
7. Criminal laws or laws of justice (including usury) which frequently had the death penalty
8. Health and disease laws
9. Dietary laws, and
10. Moral and Spiritual laws (including the Ten Commandments)

THE TEN COMMANDMENT ARE ETERNAL
The Ten Commandments are based upon the absolute holiness and righteousness of God – the character of God. Since God does not change, those laws are eternal. While they were written on tablets of stone in the Old Covenant, they are written on hearts and minds by the Holy Spirit within the New Covenant. And they are summed up in the Law of Christ, which is the Law of Love. So Christians are not lawless and devoid of the commandments of God. Indeed the Law of Love is even more stringent than the Law of Moses.

WHICH LAWS ARE NULL AND VOID

According to the epistle to the Hebrews, the laws pertaining to the tabernacle or temple, the Levitical priesthood, the Levities, the offerings and sacrifices, the feasts, festivals and holy days, as well as ceremonial observances, are all null and void. Other laws pertaining to Israel as a nation cannot be applied since the temple has been destroyed. So the only laws which are meaningful are the moral and spiritual laws.

WHICH LAWS ARE STILL VALID

According to Acts 15:28,29, the Holy Spirit has applied only four laws to the Church, and they primarily forbid the consumption of blood or meats sacrificed to idols. Fornication is also forbidden:
For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; That ye [1] abstain from meats offered to idols, and [2] from blood, and [3] from things strangled, and [4] from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

I don't really agree with this explanation, although this is a pretty good summary. Some elements of it I might agree with if explained properly.

All of the laws--all 613 requirements--are contained in a single covenant between God and Israel, and none of the laws apply as long as they pertain to that covenant. Some of those laws, which you call "moral laws" continue to exist as applicable to the Church, but are not applicable in the sense that they belong any longer to the old covenant. They are repackaged in a brand new covenant, the covenant of Christ.

For example, treating your neighbor justly existed as a law under the covenant with Israel. That moral principle exists with the Church as well, but it does not thereby validate any part of the old covenant. This law is repackaged in a brand new covenant, the covenant of Christ.

So I wouldn't parse between one set of laws and another. The temple, the priesthood, the sacrifices, the festivals, the dietary laws, purification laws, and criminal laws, etc. are all a single set of laws that are now passé. In the new covenant of Christ we have a different priesthood, a different sacrifice, and a different temple, along with all of the moral laws that existed before the Law of Moses in the command, "God created Man in His own image, after His own likeness." Any "moral law" that befits our living in God's image is contained in both covenants, old and new. The new covenant of Christ does not "borrow" from the old covenant of Law its moral laws, since moral law existed from the beginning in the very creation of Man in the image of God.

The 4 laws you refer to, produced out of the Council of Jerusalem, were designed not as a covenant set of laws for NT believers, but rather, as a determination of order to bring peace between those accustomed to the Law of Moses and Gentiles, who had never been under the Law of Moses. Jesus said it is not what goes in the body that defies, but what comes out of the heart. So eating blood does not defile a man, though it certainly is not a good practice! It represents man as a wild animal, which does not provide a testimony to what God is like.

Eating meat offered to idols is in the same category of either making a poor testimony to unbelievers, or encouraging weak believers to go against their conscience. But those of faith who are strong know that meat is not contaminated by offerings made to false gods.

It is the same thing with avoiding "strangled things." It is not actually a Jewish law, and so, it was a matter of showing good will to those who were bothered by a tradition that placed so much weight on "good appearances."

Fornication is flat out a moral law that continues in the new covenant of Christ. It is repackaged in the New Covenant.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Enoch111 I don't know how or why you would consider the Ten Commandments as both being eternal, and delineating the essence of God?
How can honour your father & mother be eternal when in heaven, there will be no such biological hierarchy? Not to mention, Christ's affirmation that only his followers are his parents and siblings. And many of the other 9 rules will fundamentally be either obsolete, or redundant when in heaven. How can 'Observe the Sabbath', be eternal?

Just the fact that the Levitical Law was abrogated at the advent of Christ, clearly denotes both a temporal and inferior status to the Law. Why do you equate them then, with the very essence of God? Yes, the moral spirit of the Law remains, as in love one another and love God above all things. And from these two precepts, what harm can come to yourself or to another, ...for they even surpass the enumeration of only 10 injunctions. Meaning, 10 rules are not an exhaustive list of what love encompasses.

Your summary was appreciated, but I believe that you may have given a bit too much weight and glory, to such a narrow and circumstantial list of decrees. That is, most only pertain to life on earth. 'Don't do this, and 'don't do that' imply sin, the law was made for evil doers, not the righteous. Plus, just the notion of law, arouses one to sin. Paul said that certain rituals had a semblance of being moral, but were impotent to bring about righteousness. My point is, to call the Ten Commandments eternal, is mixing up the point that you're trying to make. Yes, love rules, but specific laws will have no business in the Kingdom.

Last edited:

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
The Law of 10 Commandments are for those who had commit a crime like a gentiles, because the gentiles are not live under the love and affection (1 Timothy 1:5-11). Look for those terorism are the example of the gentiles (they practice sorcery, they kill others), but everybody who lived in fear to God and love his neighbour like they love themself are not lived under the law because they fulfill the main Law (Matthew 22:34-40), and whosoever lived under this standard are fulfilling the purpose of Christ but the law itself are confirmed of the existence of the sins, and wherever sins rules there always be death; So the death itself makes mankind captivated under the prisoners of the devil (Galatians 3:15-29). So because the weakness in flesh mankind cannot deliver out from devil snares, by this means the promise of God were fulfilled in Christ (Luke 4:16-20; Ephesians 4:1-16).

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Revelation 12:17...and the Dragon was enraged with the woman and went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus.

Revelation 14:12...Here is the patience of the saints; here are they who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

It was Gods directive, nay, his commandments that were diminished, even put at nought in Eden by the enemy. He has kept up the same game throughout human history. It is the same principle operating today and will till Jesus returns.

Those on the enemy's side identify themselves by opposing Gods Commandments. Their arguments are slippery and full off excuses just as Lucifers was in Eden.

Those who keep his Commandments are identified as saints ie, God's People.
Those who oppose (do not keep) Gods Commandments belong to the opposed camp.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which means that you do not understand the meaning of Christ FULFILLING the Law.
So, you believe that the law is not a schoolmaster to lead men to Christ (Romans 3:20, Galatians 3:24, Psalms 19:7 (kjv))?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So, you believe that the law is not a schoolmaster to lead men to Christ (Romans 3:20, Galatians 3:24, Psalms 19:7 (kjv))?
I did not say that. The Law has many functions and purposes, and that is one of them. The Law shows guilty sinners that they are justly condemned before God since "the wages of sin is death". And that leads them to Christ since "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners".

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not say that. The Law has many functions and purposes, and that is one of them. The Law shows guilty sinners that they are justly condemned before God since "the wages of sin is death". And that leads them to Christ since "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners".
So the law is still valid.

I would contend that you are least in the kingdom if you define the law as merely the ten commandments rather than all six hundred and thirteen (Matthew 5:19).

To be called great, you would need to acknowledge that one jot or one tittle has by no means passed from the law; because heaven and earth have not passed away (Matthew 5:18).

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Therefore all 613 define sin and call men out as being sinners.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already told you that the Ten Commandments have always been valid. They are eternal. See my OP. That does not mean that all 613 laws are still valid.
You are of the least in the kingdom if you are in the kingdom; and this is the judgment of our Lord...and that is all I have to say.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are of the least in the kingdom if you are in the kingdom; and this is the judgment of our Lord...and that is all I have to say.
Since you know nothing about this subject nor the judgment of the Lord, it is just as well that you say no more.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Therefore all 613 define sin and call men out as being sinners.
THAT IS TOTAL NONSENSE. All 613 commandments do not simply define sin and call men sinners. I have even broken the Law of Moses down into its components to show you how mistaken you are.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since you know nothing about this subject nor the judgment of the Lord, it is just as well that you say no more.
I know what the Bible says on this subject.

It seems to me that I am in a season where many are coming against me; some even whom I have counted as friends previously; or at least, I have counted them to be sound in the faith.

THAT IS TOTAL NONSENSE. All 613 commandments do not simply define sin and call men sinners. I have even broken the Law of Moses down into its components to show you how mistaken you are.

Aren't the 613 the law of Moses? What does Romans 3:20 say about this? What does 1 John 3:4 (kjv) say about this?

Rom 3:20, Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

1Jo 3:4, Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

What are the least of these commandments in Matthew 5:19?

Mat 5:19, Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Last edited:

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul said the Law was good if one knew how to use it....I knew how to use it....I used it to show me I can’t keep it and I must have a Savior. Now That this has been accomplished, I’m done with ....let somebody else use it now so that they too can see themselves for the sinners that they are and get Saved.
Laws engraved on stone for everybody to read and memorize and try to obey aren’t bad— much better than nothing! It’s a shame that they could do no more than show Laws but had no POWER to help you obey them . That’s why Paul called them “ weak and useless”—- they had No Power to Save.I don’t want to be connected to anything weak and useless and does nothing but cause Sin to increase . I go where the “ Power” is at. Paul said that the Gospel Of 1cor15:1-4 is “ God’s Power” to Save....let’s trust in the Gospel to Save us and also trust in our New Hearts to guide us and do a better job of pleasing God than trying to obey rules carved in Stone......

Reactions: DNB

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, the law is written on the hearts and in the minds of new Covenant believers (Hebrews 8:8-10, Hebrews 10:16, Romans 8:7, Romans 8:4).

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Paul said the Law was good if one knew how to use it....I knew how to use it....I used it to show me I can’t keep it and I must have a Savior. Now That this has been accomplished, I’m done with ....let somebody else use it now so that they too can see themselves for the sinners that they are and get Saved.
Laws engraved on stone for everybody to read and memorize and try to obey aren’t bad— much better than nothing! It’s a shame that they could do no more than show Laws but had no POWER to help you obey them . That’s why Paul called them “ weak and useless”—- they had No Power to Save.I don’t want to be connected to anything weak and useless and does nothing but cause Sin to increase . I go where the “ Power” is at. Paul said that the Gospel Of 1cor15:1-4 is “ God’s Power” to Save....let’s trust in the Gospel to Save us and also trust in our New Hearts to guide us and do a better job of pleasing God than trying to obey rules carved in Stone......
which rules are you going to obey? perhaps better said is, whose rules are you going to obey?