Christians are not under the New Covenant

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Righteousness required for salvation!

Matt 13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Faith and Works required for salvation!

Must choose to believe and continue in a perpetual state of believing!
Jn 3:16

Must choose Christ and to remain in Christ!

Jn 1:12 Jn 15:1

Redemption

Romans 3:24
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Ephesians 1:7
In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Jn 1:29 behold the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world

————-

Faithful obedience

Matthew 7:19-23 “Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'”

Matthew 10:22 “All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.”

Matthew 24:9-13 “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.”

Luke 12:46 “The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers.”

Luke 13:6-9 “Then he told this parable: A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, 'For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?' 'Sir,' the man replied, 'leave it alone for one more year, and I'll dig around it and fertilize it. If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.'”

John 8:31-32 “To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, ‘If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.’”

John 15:1-6 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.”

Romans 11:20-22 “…But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid. For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either. Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.”

1 Corinthians 9:27 “No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”

Colossians 1:21-23 “Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation– if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.”

1 Timothy 1:18-20 “Timothy, my son, I give you this instruction in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by following them you may fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked their faith. Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme.”

1 Timothy 4:1 “The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.”

Hebrews 3:6 “But Christ is faithful as a son over God's house. And we are his house, if we hold on to our courage and the hope of which we boast.”

Hebrews 3:12-14 “See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first.”

Hebrews 6:4-6 “It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.”

Hebrews 10:26-31 “If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know him who said, ‘It is mine to avenge; I will repay,’ and again, ‘The Lord will judge his people.’ It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”

2 Peter 2:20-21 “If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them.”

2 Peter 3:17 “Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position.”

1 John 2:24 “See that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father.”

——-

Rom 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord

2 pet 1: 2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Faith and Works
“‘Not everyone who says to me, “Lord, Lord,” shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven’” (Matt. 7:21).

“For he will render every man according to his works . . .” (Rom. 2:6-8).

“For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified” (Rom. 2:13).

“What does it profit, my brethren, if a man says he has faith but has not works? Can his faith save him?” (Jas. 2:14).

“So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead” (Jas. 2:17).

“But some one will say, ‘You have faith and I have works.’ Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith. . . . Do you want to be shown, you foolish fellow, that faith apart from works is barren? (Jas. 2:18-20).

“You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone” (Jas. 2:24).

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although it is a new belief it has no main stream support from any denomination that has any history at all. It is a belief, not a denomination.[/QUOTE]

I think the explanation below concerning Acts 2:38 is important to understand. This was posted on the "got answers" website. I think many times we fail to take into consideration the Greek translation and it's impact to our understanding of certain words. If we remove our bias and simply take an honest examination we sometimes find we have misunderstood.

Acts 2:38, “And Peter said to them, ‘Repent, and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.’” As with any single verse or passage, we discern what it teaches by first filtering it through what we know the Bible teaches on the subject at hand. In the case of baptism and salvation, the Bible is clear that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, not by works of any kind, including baptism (Ephesians 2:8-9). So, any interpretation which comes to the conclusion that baptism, or any other act, is necessary for salvation, is a faulty interpretation.

Why, then, do some come to the conclusion that we must be baptized in order to be saved? Often, the discussion of whether or not this passage teaches baptism is required for salvation centers around the Greek word eis that is translated “for” in this passage. Those who hold to the belief that baptism is required for salvation are quick to point to this verse and the fact that it says “be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins,” assuming that the word translated “for” in this verse means “in order to get.” However, in both Greek and English, there are many possible usages of the word “for.”

As an example, when one says “Take two aspirin for your headache,” it is obvious to everybody that it does not mean “take two aspirin in order to get your headache,” but instead to “take two aspirin because you already have a headache.” There are three possible meanings of the word “for” that might fit the context of Acts 2:38: 1--“in order to be, become, get, have, keep, etc.,” 2—“because of, as the result of,” or 3—“with regard to.” Since any one of the three meanings could fit the context of this passage, additional study is required in order to determine which one is correct.

We need to start by looking back to the original language and the meaning of the Greek word eis. This is a common Greek word (it is used 1774 times in the New Testament) that is translated many different ways. Like the English word “for” it can have several different meanings. So, again, we see at least two or three possible meanings of the passage, one that would seem to support that baptism is required for salvation and others that would not. While both the meanings of the Greek word eis are seen in different passages of Scripture, such noted Greek scholars as A.T. Robertson and J.R. Mantey have maintained that the Greek preposition eis in Acts 2:38 should be translated “because of” or “in view of,” and not “in order to,” or “for the purpose of.”

One example of how this preposition is used in other Scriptures is seen in Matthew 12:41 where the word eis communicates the “result” of an action. In this case it is said that the people of Nineveh “repented at the preaching of Jonah” (the word translated “at” is the same Greek word eis). Clearly, the meaning of this passage is that they repented “because of’” or “as the result of” Jonah’s preaching. In the same way, it would be possible that Acts 2:38 is indeed communicating the fact that they were to be baptized “as the result of” or “because” they already had believed and in doing so had already received forgiveness of their sins (John 1:12; John 3:14-18; John 5:24; John 11:25-26; Acts 10:43; Acts 13:39; Acts 16:31; Acts 26:18; Romans 10:9; Ephesians 1:12-14). This interpretation of the passage is also consistent with the message recorded in Peter’s next two sermons to unbelievers where he associates the forgiveness of sins with the act of repentance and faith in Christ without even mentioning baptism (Acts 3:17-26; Acts 4:8-12).

CONT

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In addition to Acts 2:38, there are three other verses where the Greek word eis is used in conjunction with the word “baptize” or “baptism.” The first of these is Matthew 3:11, “baptize you with water for repentance.” Clearly the Greek word eis cannot mean “in order to get” in this passage. They were not baptized “in order to get repentance,” but were “baptized because they had repented.” The second passage is Romans 6:3 where we have the phrase “baptized into (eis) His death.” This again fits with the meaning “because of” or in "regard to." The third and final passage is 1 Corinthians 10:2 and the phrase “baptized into (eis) Moses in the cloud and in the sea.” Again, eis cannot mean “in order to get” in this passage because the Israelites were not baptized in order to get Moses to be their leader, but because he was their leader and had led them out of Egypt. If one is consistent with the way the preposition eis is used in conjunction with baptism, we must conclude that Acts 2:38 is indeed referring to their being baptized “because” they had received forgiveness of their sins. Some other verses where the Greek preposition eis does not mean “in order to obtain” are Matthew 28:19; 1 Peter 3:21; Acts 19:3; 1 Corinthians 1:15; and 12:13.

The grammatical evidence surrounding this verse and the preposition eis are clear that while both views on this verse are well within the context and the range of possible meanings of the passage, the majority of the evidence is in favor that the best possible definition of the word “for” in this context is either “because of” or “in regard to” and not “in order to get.” Therefore, Acts 2:38, when interpreted correctly, does not teach that baptism is required for salvation.

Besides the precise meaning of the preposition translated “for” in this passage, there is another grammatical aspect of this verse to carefully consider—the change between the second person and third person between the verbs and pronouns in the passage. For example, in Peter’s commands to repent and be baptized the Greek verb translated “repent” is in the second person plural while the verb “be baptized,” is in the third person singular. When we couple this with the fact that the pronoun “your” in the phrase “forgiveness of your sins” is also second person plural, we see an important distinction being made that helps us understand this passage. The result of this change from second person plural to third person singular and back would seem to connect the phrase “forgiveness of your sins” directly with the command to “repent.” Therefore, when you take into account the change in person and plurality, essentially what you have is “You (plural) repent for the forgiveness of your (plural) sins, and let each one (singular) of you be baptized (singular).” Or, to put it in a more distinct way: “You all repent for the forgiveness of all of your sins, and let each one of you be baptized.”

Another error that is made by those who believe Acts 2:38 teaches baptism is required for salvation is what is sometimes called the Negative Inference Fallacy. Simply put, this is the idea that just because a statement is true, we cannot assume all negations (or opposites) of that statement are true. In other words, just because Acts 2:38 says “repent and be baptized….for the forgiveness of sins…and the gift of the Holy Spirit,” does not mean that if one repents and is not baptized, he will not receive forgiveness of sins or the gift of the Holy Spirit.

There is an important difference between a condition of salvation and a requirement for salvation. The Bible is clear that belief is both a condition and a requirement, but the same cannot be said for baptism. The Bible does not say that if a man is not baptized then he will not be saved. One can add any number of conditions to faith (which is required for salvation), and the person can still be saved. For example if a person believes, is baptized, goes to church, and gives to the poor he will be saved. Where the error in thinking occurs is if one assumes all these other conditions, “baptism, going to church, giving to the poor,” are required for one to be saved. While they might be the evidence of salvation, they are not a requirement for salvation.

The fact that baptism is not required to receive forgiveness and the gift of the Holy Spirit should also be evident by simply reading a little farther in the book of Acts. In Acts 10;43, Peter tells Cornelius that “through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins” (please note that nothing at this point has been mentioned about being baptized, yet Peter connects believing in Christ with the act of receiving forgiveness for sins). The next thing that happens is, having believed Peter’s message about Christ, the “Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message” (Acts 10:44). It is only after they had believed, and therefore received forgiveness of their sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit, that Cornelius and his household were baptized (Acts 10:47-48). The context and the passage are very clear; Cornelius and his household received both forgiveness of sins and the Holy Spirit before they were ever baptized. In fact, the reason Peter allowed them to be baptized was that they showed evidence of receiving the Holy Spirit “just as Peter and the Jewish believers” had.

In conclusion, Acts 2:38 does not teach that baptism is required for salvation. While baptism is important as the sign that one has been justified by faith and as the public declaration of one’s faith in Christ and membership in a local body of believers, it is not the means of remission or forgiveness of sins. The Bible is very clear that we are saved by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone (John 1:12; John 3:16; Acts 16:31; Romans 3:21-30; Romans 4:5; Romans 10:9-10; Ephesians 2:8-10; Philippians 3:9; Galatians 2:16)

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The grace of being declared righteous (being made righteous in God's sight) is received through faith apart from works.

This is the very point that eludes the Catholics.

but we are talking about how we receive this grace of righteousness

Acts 22:16
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Rom 3:24
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Romans 6:4
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Acts 2:47
Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

1 Corinthians 1:2
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:

Acts 2:47
Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Water baptism as an ordnance. A public confession of ones faith but not a requirement for salvation.

(Where does scripture say this)

The Apostles Creed, St Irenaeus, St. Augustine
(Actually these have the author Christ as they are successors to the apostles

acts 2:42
Matt 16:28 18:18
The apostles have the same authority power and mission as Christ Jn 30:21-23

and of course Martin Luther's views are not scripture.(yes he has no authority) I do not expect to change your view. I know many who are deeply seated in their views that you and I most likely would call heretics. I do not believe that water baptism is a requirement for salvation and you do. I believe that prior to the cross water baptism was taught as a sign of your faith. A sign most necessary for the Jews who's history was rich in rituals. I think that Christ's death on the cross is sufficient and man cannot execute any action to bring about salvation for himself. Paul repeats this over and over. Things simply changed after the cross. We disagree. I pray and hope that we can have this conversation in person one day soon in Heaven. I truly hope to see you there.

Paul teaches baptism

For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can grace be applied to you’re soul?
The grace of the imputation of God's righteousness is applied through faith apart from work (Romans 4:6).
If it is imparted through work then you and I would have something to boast about (Romans 4:2) and it would no longer be of grace (Romans 11:6). But as it is, it is applied through faith apart from works so that no man can boast (Romans 3:27). And just as this was true for Abraham, so it is true for us who also believe (Romans 4:23-24).

If you do not agree with this, tell us what work Abraham did to receive the grace of God's imputation of righteousness—circumcision? Baptism? Communion? Something else?

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace enables our faith and works to be meritorious and efficacious... (bold added by me)
If you think that your works are meritorious and efficacious toward the imputation of God's righteousness (being made righteous) you believe in the very works gospel that Paul is condemning. I know you can't see that. The Catholic church has never been able to see it. They believe works are meritorious towards an imputation of God's righteousness. Paul says if that is true, then grace is no longer grace.

You have to stay on point here. I've emboldened the 'imputation of God's righteousness' part to make it clear that we are talking about God's grace in receiving a declaration of right standing with God. It is entirely by faith, apart from works, that imputation occurs. If it is conditioned on works then it is no longer imputed by faith apart from works, but by works. If you do not believe that, just tell us what work Abraham, our example of justification by faith, did to receive the grace of the imputation of God's righteousness.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although it is a new belief it has no main stream support from any denomination that has any history at all. It is a belief, not a denomination.

I think the explanation below concerning Acts 2:38 is important to understand. This was posted on the "got answers" website. I think many times we fail to take into consideration the Greek translation and it's impact to our understanding of certain words. If we remove our bias and simply take an honest examination we sometimes find we have misunderstood.

Acts 2:38, “And Peter said to them, ‘Repent, and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.’” As with any single verse or passage, we discern what it teaches by first filtering it through what we know the Bible teaches on the subject at hand. In the case of baptism and salvation, the Bible is clear that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, not by works of any kind, including baptism (Ephesians 2:8-9). So, any interpretation which comes to the conclusion that baptism, or any other act, is necessary for salvation, is a faulty interpretation.

Why, then, do some come to the conclusion that we must be baptized in order to be saved? Often, the discussion of whether or not this passage teaches baptism is required for salvation centers around the Greek word eis that is translated “for” in this passage. Those who hold to the belief that baptism is required for salvation are quick to point to this verse and the fact that it says “be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins,” assuming that the word translated “for” in this verse means “in order to get.” However, in both Greek and English, there are many possible usages of the word “for.”

As an example, when one says “Take two aspirin for your headache,” it is obvious to everybody that it does not mean “take two aspirin in order to get your headache,” but instead to “take two aspirin because you already have a headache.” There are three possible meanings of the word “for” that might fit the context of Acts 2:38: 1--“in order to be, become, get, have, keep, etc.,” 2—“because of, as the result of,” or 3—“with regard to.” Since any one of the three meanings could fit the context of this passage, additional study is required in order to determine which one is correct.

We need to start by looking back to the original language and the meaning of the Greek word eis. This is a common Greek word (it is used 1774 times in the New Testament) that is translated many different ways. Like the English word “for” it can have several different meanings. So, again, we see at least two or three possible meanings of the passage, one that would seem to support that baptism is required for salvation and others that would not. While both the meanings of the Greek word eis are seen in different passages of Scripture, such noted Greek scholars as A.T. Robertson and J.R. Mantey have maintained that the Greek preposition eis in Acts 2:38 should be translated “because of” or “in view of,” and not “in order to,” or “for the purpose of.”

One example of how this preposition is used in other Scriptures is seen in Matthew 12:41 where the word eis communicates the “result” of an action. In this case it is said that the people of Nineveh “repented at the preaching of Jonah” (the word translated “at” is the same Greek word eis). Clearly, the meaning of this passage is that they repented “because of’” or “as the result of” Jonah’s preaching. In the same way, it would be possible that Acts 2:38 is indeed communicating the fact that they were to be baptized “as the result of” or “because” they already had believed and in doing so had already received forgiveness of their sins (John 1:12; John 3:14-18; John 5:24; John 11:25-26; Acts 10:43; Acts 13:39; Acts 16:31; Acts 26:18; Romans 10:9; Ephesians 1:12-14). This interpretation of the passage is also consistent with the message recorded in Peter’s next two sermons to unbelievers where he associates the forgiveness of sins with the act of repentance and faith in Christ without even mentioning baptism (Acts 3:17-26; Acts 4:8-12).

CONT[/QUOTE]
In addition to Acts 2:38, there are three other verses where the Greek word eis is used

In conclusion, Acts 2:38 does not teach that baptism is required for salvation. While baptism is important as the sign that one has been justified by faith and as the public declaration of one’s faith in Christ and membership in a local body of believers, it is not the means of remission or forgiveness of sins. The Bible is very clear that we are saved by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone (John 1:12; John 3:16; Acts 16:31; Romans 3:21-30; Romans 4:5; Romans 10:9-10; Ephesians 2:8-10; Philippians 3:9; Galatians 2:16)

These refer to redemption not justification or salvation

yes baptism required Jn 3:5
Acts 2:38-39 refers to “promise of the father” a promise from God is a sacred oath, and a sacred oath is a sacrament

Baptis the initiation into the new covenant

St. Paul tells the faithful at Ephesus that they have been “sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.” This is in terms of an indelible character imprinted on the soul in the sacraments of baptism and confirmation. It is not as if this invisible mark is simply decorative. Rather, through it, we are enabled to participate in Christ’s mission and in his offices of priest, prophet, and king. Eph 1:13

Sealed by God eph 1:13 sealed by God (ez 36:25-27) in the ark of salvation by baptism just as Noah was sealed by God in the ark of the flood gen 7:16

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark of Noah none were saved, outside the church (the ark of salvation) none are saved!)

sins forgiven in baptism acts 22:16

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but not a requirement for salvation.

The word requirement.....find it in the scriptures....what is the requirement for salvation as stated in the scriptures? Something about nothing....the word requirement does not appear in the NT. The Apostles were not standing for any back talk....

St. Augustine and of course Martin Luther's views are not scripture.
And yours's is!!! LOL What a joke! Your belief is not biblical, it is not historical, it is not represented in any denomination that has been around and I will go out on a limb and say no denomination believes this. Strictly a modern belief with no historical background.

I believe that prior to the cross water baptism was taught as a sign of your faith.

So what you are telling me you have no idea of the water baptism. You need to go study that and it may put you on the path of truth.
I do not believe that water baptism is a requirement for salvation

You say that baptism is not a requirement for salvation....I say disobedience is no way to start out your relationship with Christ expecting salvation. We are told to do these things for a reason.

What happens if you believe in Christ but do not repent, or get baptized or participate in communion. Most of this is not explained except communion....Christ says if you do not participate in communion there is no life in you, you do not abide in Him or Him in you and He will not raise you on the last day.....Go read it again.

What happens if you do not repent and change your ways?

What happens if you do not get baptized?

Faith alone!!! Is faith about telling Christ to kiss off. Not doing what He and the Apostles told you to do.

To be a follower of Christ.....you need to look into what that means.

I think that Christ's death on the cross is sufficient and man cannot execute any action to bring about salvation for himself.

Try doing nothing and see what happens. Sorry I gave at office....the do nothing religion....do you believe that Christ was a do nothing God? Do you think that He was starting a religion of do nothing. "cannot execute any action" LOL Belief is an action. LOL Acts 2:38 I guess you do not know that Luke was disciple of Paul.

Peter had a good handle on what baptism was and meant.
1st Peter 3:21 Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Yeap Paul repeats it over and over again....Baptism is part of salvation. Praise the Lord!!!
Acts 19:2-5 and "Paul" asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.” So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?” “John’s baptism,” they replied. Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

1st Corinthians 1:4 I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius,
So Paul was baptising and it was an important step to salvation. It was never said that it was not important.

1st Corinthians 1:13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul?
Baptizing is important but also it is wrong to pick an Apostle and try to build a religion on him. Christianity is not a Paul religion. He is not the founder or the power.

Romans 6:3-4 Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.

1st Corinthians 12:13 or in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to
drink of one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Colossians 2:12-13 Having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,

As you can see every word you type is wrong and has to be corrected with scripture.
End of discussion.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The grace of the imputation of God's righteousness is applied through faith apart from work (Romans 4:6).
If it is imparted through work then you and I would have something to boast about (Romans 4:2) and it would no longer be of grace (Romans 11:6). But as it is, it is applied through faith apart from works so that no man can boast (Romans 3:27). And just as this was true for Abraham, so it is true for us who also believe (Romans 4:23-24).

If you do not agree with this, tell us what work Abraham did to receive the grace of God's imputation of righteousness—circumcision? Baptism? Communion? Something else?

Abraham is our father in faith but grace is imparted to us by faith and the sacraments Mk 16:16

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it is by grace

1 Peter 5:12
By Silvanus, a faithful brother unto you, as I suppose, I have written briefly, exhorting, and testifying that this is the true grace of God wherein ye stand.
Works are the result of God's grace in the receiving of God's righteousness. Just as circumcision was the result—the sign—not the procurer, of the righteousness Abraham received from God by faith apart from works. You're confusing the grace of God in a person's works with the grace of God in the imputation of righteousness to a person.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...grace is imparted to us by faith and the sacraments Mk 16:16
...but not the grace of the imputation of God's righteousness. That expression of God's grace is NOT given to a person through works, but by faith apart from works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Truman

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul teaches baptism

Surly you understand that Paul is referring to Spiritual Baptism in 1 Corinthians 12. Not all baptism is of water. Baptism of the Holy Spirit eliminated water baptism. Cornelius was fully saved, fully filled with the Holy Spirit before he got wet.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you think that your works are meritorious and efficacious toward the imputation of God's righteousness (being made righteous) you believe in the very works gospel that Paul is condemning. I know you can't see that. The Catholic church has never been able to see it. They believe works are meritorious towards an imputation of God's righteousness. Paul says if that is true, then grace is no longer grace.

You have to stay on point here. I've emboldened the 'imputation of God's righteousness' part to make it clear that we are talking about God's grace in receiving a declaration of right standing with God. It is entirely by faith, apart from works, that imputation occurs. If it is conditioned on works then it is no longer imputed by faith apart from works, but by works. If you do not believe that, just tell us what work Abraham, our example of justification by faith, did to receive the grace of the imputation of God's righteousness.

no first we receive grace and eternal life and are made righteous new creature in Christ by baptism
Then in grace our actions are meritorious and efficacious James 5:16

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Should we all choose crucifixion over water baptism? Salvation by crucifixion?
If you are saved by crucifixion do you forg

Galatians 2:19-21
[19]For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
[20]I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
[21]I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Reactions: Grailhunter

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...but not the grace of the imputation of God's righteousness. That expression of God's grace is NOT given to a person through works, but by faith apart from works.

Christian suffering!

Patience Implies suffering!

In order to bear fruit we must deny ourself, suffer, and die!

John 12:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

Jn 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Matthew 24:42
Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

Verses of Christian suffering:

Matthew 10:38
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Matthew 16:25
For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

John 12:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Romans 5:4
And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2 Thessalonians 1:5
Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

Colossians 1:11
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

2 Tim 2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Phil 1:29
For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

James 1:2-8
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing

Hebrews 6:12
That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Hebrews 10:36
For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Hebrews 12:4
Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

1 Peter 2:20
For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Rev 2: 19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.

Rev 2:23 .....I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

1. Romans 3:24

we receive this by baptism Mk 16:16

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

you refuse to accept the teaching of Christ thru his church I guess

If you attack or reject the church you are attacking and rejecting Christ
For and his church are one acts 9:4

Also an attack on the church is an attack on Christ acts 9:4

The one true founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles Matt 16:18-19 18:18 prevails until his return without error Jn 16:13 with the same mission power and authority as christ Jn 20:21-23

Matthew 18:17
And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell itunto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Surly you understand that Paul is referring to Spiritual Baptism in 1 Corinthians 12. Not all baptism is of water. Baptism of the Holy Spirit eliminated water baptism. Cornelius was fully saved, fully filled with the Holy Spirit before he got wet.

No such thing as spiritual baptism or spirit covenant either

it is only the Christian ritual of baptism with flowing water over the forehead three times with the words I baptize you in the name of the father and of the son and of the Holy Spirit