Christians are not under the New Covenant

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mom trying to understand you
You think when Constantine called the 1st council of nicea that he created the CC???

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary

"Historically, however, the Roman Catholic Church began in the fourth century during the reign of Emperor Constantine. The Pope didn't begin to identify himself with that title until Siricius, the bishop of Rome, did in the fourth century. Also, we don't know historically that Peter was ever in Rome and there is nothing to indicate he ever claimed authority over other apostles.

See, I have done my research; but still don't see yours.

Last edited:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Besides there is only one church Jn 10:16 founded by Christ Matt 16:18-19
On Peter with the jurisdictional authority of the keys

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Constantine called a council that alone disproves you’re theory
".....my theory" about what please.

when a council is called the bishops gather so they must already be existing
That is true in all conferences everywhere. But biblically speaking, this meeting held by the Jerusalem council consisted of elders and bishops; not popes! And not by the Roman council of Constantine in Rome in the forth century LONG after all of the apostles were dead. If you read in Acts the "churches" that were started were each led by "elders."

If there was to be successionism amongst the apostles as being the first line of "popes" goes that is absolutely not true. In order for the apostles to have been "ordained" to follow Peter then either John, Philip, or Thomas would have been the succeeding apostles as well as other apostles that could have been alive before anyone from Italy would have even been a thought to those within the first 100 years and long before the papacy was created in Rome.

Last edited:

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The New Covenant, or Testament, has not yet gone into effect

I hate to tell you, but the Jeremiah 31 new covenant is the last will and Testament of Jesus that took effect at His death, as do all wills.

You’ll find that in Hebrews.

He is mediating the Jeremiah 31 new covenant now, chapter 8:

Heb 8:6 But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises.

Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a second.

Heb 8:8 For he finds fault with them when he says: “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will establish a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,

Heb 8:9 not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt. For they did not continue in my covenant, and so I showed no concern for them, declares the Lord.

Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

The new covenant is His will and Testament that took effect at His death:

Heb 9:15 Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant.

Heb 9:16 For where a will is involved, the death of the one who made it must be established.

Heb 9:17 For a will takes effect only at death, since it is not in force as long as the one who made it is alive.

Heb 9:18 Therefore not even the first covenant was inaugurated without blood.

Yes, the new covenant is also a blood covenant, per the above, and confirmed here:

Luk 22:14 And when the hour came, he reclined at table, and the apostles with him.

Luk 22:15 And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.

Luk 22:16 For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.”

Luk 22:17 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, “Take this, and divide it among yourselves.

Luk 22:18 For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”

Luk 22:19 And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”

Luk 22:20 And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

Reactions: Moriah's Song

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only in one sense this is true; but it is not true in the since that you speak as though the Roman Catholic church is the only true church and all others as being heretical do you not?

only Christ has authority to found the church Matt 16:18 all others are sects the tradition of men

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The context is important:

13- Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesare'a Philip'pi, he asked his disciples, "Who do men say that the Son of man is?"
14- And they said, "Some say John the Baptist, others say Eli'jah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets."
15- He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"
16- Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
17- And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.
18- And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.
19- I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Greek for "Peter" and "rock"
4074 [e] Πέτρος,
Petros Peter,

4073 [e] πέτρᾳ
petra rock

Peter, for himself and his brethren, said that they were assured of our Lord's being the promised Messiah, the Son of the living God. This showed that they believed Jesus to be more than man. Our Lord declared Peter to be blessed, as the teaching of God made him differ from his unbelieving countrymen. Christ added that he had named him Peter, in allusion to his stability or firmness in professing the truth. The word translated rock, is not the same word as Peter, but is of a similar meaning. Nothing can be more wrong than to suppose that Christ meant the person of Peter was the rock. Without doubt Christ himself is the Rock, the tried foundation of the church; and woe to him that attempts to lay any other!

Eph 1:22...and he has put all things under his feet and has made him the head over all things for the church,
Eph 5:23...For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior.
Eph 5:24...As the church is subject to Christ, so let wives also be subject in everything to their husbands.

Col 1:18...[Christ] is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning, the first-born from the dead, that in everything he might be pre-eminent.​

Not one verse in the NT says that no one other than Jesus alone is the head of the church; his body. The church doesn’t belong to the Pope or to the bishops or to the ministers or even to the people who are its members. The church belongs to Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassandra

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Too bad that Peter, the apostle to the Jews, was never in the Roman church.

Peter is always found in the Jerusalem Jewish Christian Church in the Bible, the first church and the preeminent church until it was destroyed.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Too bad that Peter, the apostle to the Jews, was never in the Roman church.

Peter is always found in the Jerusalem Jewish Christian Church in the Bible, the first church and the preeminent church until it was destroyed.
Another amazing thing is how when the "first pope" was still alive, another
"poop"
took his place, and made a decision, "James" the first or second "pope"???

Act 15:13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto ME:...

Act 15:19 ...Wherefore MY sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

Of course, The Scripture Plainly And Clearly Teaches
"
The LORD JESUS CHRIST is the Only HEAD of HIS Church!

not some religious "poop" eh? oops, MISSpellings, my bad! :(

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Besides there is only one church Jn 10:16 founded by Christ
These doctrines don’t date back all the way to Constantine, except for perhaps in seed form, but were slowly adopted over many years as various popes issued decrees. In many cases, the doctrines are not even based on Scripture but on a document of the church. Most Roman Catholics consider themselves to be Christians and are unaware of the differences between their beliefs and the Bible. Sadly, the Roman Catholic Church has fostered that ignorance by discouraging the personal study of the Bible and making the people reliant on the priests for their understanding of the Bible.

Roman Catholicism vs. Biblical Teaching

1- The bishops, with the pope as their head, rule the universal Church.
Bible: Christ, the head of the body, rules the universal church (Col 1:18).​

2- God has entrusted revelation to the bishops.
Bible: God has entrusted revelation to the saints (Jude 3).​

3- The pope is infallible in his teaching.
Bible: God alone is infallible (Numbers 23:19; Acts 17:11).​

4- Scripture and Tradition together are the Word of God.
Bible: Scripture alone is the Word of God (Jhn 10:35; 2 Tim 3:16,17; 2 Pet 1:20,21; Mrk 7:1-13).​

5- Mary is the co-redeemer, for she participated with Christ in the painful act of redemption.
Bible: Christ alone is the Redeemer, for He alone suffered and died for sin (1 Peter 1:18,19).​

6- Mary is the co-mediator, to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions.
Bible: Christ is the one mediator to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions (1 Tim 2:5; John 14:13,14; 1 Peter 5:7).​

7- Initial justification is by means of baptism.
Bible: Justification is by faith alone (Romans 3:28).​

8- Adults must prepare for justification through faith and good works.
Bible: God justifies ungodly sinners who believe (Romans 4:5). Good works are the result of salvation, not the cause (Ephesians 2:8-10).​

9- Grace is merited by good works.
Bible: Grace is a free gift (Romans 11:6).​

10- Salvation is attained by cooperating with grace through faith, good works, and participation in the sacraments.
Bible: Salvation is attained by grace through faith apart from works (Ephesians 2:10).​

11- No one can know if he will attain eternal life.
Bible: The believer can know that he has eternal life by the Word of God and the testimony of the Holy Spirit who indwells believers (1 John 5:13; Romans 8:16).​

12- The Roman Catholic Church is necessary for salvation.
Bible: There is salvation in no one but the Lord Jesus Christ, “for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12).​

13- Christ’s body and blood exist wholly and entirely in every fragment of consecrated bread and wine in every Roman Catholic church around the world.
Bible: The bread and wine are symbols of the body and blood of Christ, and He is bodily present in heaven (1 Cor 11:23-25; Heb 10:12,13).​

14- The sacrifice of the cross is perpetuated in the sacrifice of the Mass.
Bible: The sacrifice of the cross is finished (John 19:30).​

15- Each sacrifice of the Mass appeases God’s wrath against sin.
Bible: The once-for-all sacrifice of the cross fully appeased God’s wrath against sin (Heb 10:12-18).​

16- The sacrificial work of redemption is continually carried out through the sacrifice of the Mass.
Bible: The sacrificial work of redemption was finished when Christ gave His life for us on the cross (Ephesians 1:7; Hebrews 1:3).​

Last edited:

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
4- Scripture and Tradition together are the Word of God.
Bible: Scripture alone is the Word of God (Jhn 10:35; 2 Tim 3:16,17; 2 Pet 1:20,21; Mrk 7:1-13).
Excellent work on All 16 Points. If I may also add Scriptures to #4:

Scripture Alone Is The Word of God!:

"I will worship toward Thy holy temple, and praise Thy HOLY
Name for Thy LovingKindness and for Thy TRUTH: for Thou
Hast MAGNIFIED Thy WORD Above All Thy Name!"
(Psalms 138:2 KJB!)
+
"And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to
myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in
us not to think above That Which Is WRITTEN, that
no one of you be puffed up for one against another."
(1 Corinthians 4:6 KJB!)

Thus, oral tradition cannot be = to, Nor "Added to":

God's Written Word
, Which Stands Alone,
"Above All of HIS HOLY Name!"
Amen?

GRACE And Peace...

Reactions: Moriah's Song

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
He is mediating the Jeremiah 31 new covenant now, chapter 8:
Thank you for your comments. As you might presume, I see it differently. ;)

Jeremiah 31:31 is referring to a new covenenant for the Jews only. The chapter has God telling how He will bring the Israelites back to the Promised Land. In the last verse of chapter 30 God says, "In the latter days you will understand it”, and continuing in chapter 31 (WEB):

(1) “At that time,” says Yahweh, “I will be the God of all the families of Israel, and they will be my people.”
(8) Behold, I will bring them from the north country, and gather them from the uttermost parts of the earth, along with the blind and the lame, the woman with child and her who travails with child together. They will return as a great company.
(10) “Hear Yahweh’s word, you nations, and declare it in the distant islands. Say, ‘He who scattered Israel will gather him, and keep him, as a shepherd does his flock.’
(17) There is hope for your latter end,” says Yahweh. “Your children will come again to their own territory.​

God then goes on to say:

(31) “Behold, the days come,” says Yahweh, “that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
(33) “But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” says Yahweh: I will put my law in their inward parts, and I will write it in their heart. I will be their God, and they shall be my people.​

So the New Covenant is with Israel and it will not commence until, or after the Millennial Age, and certainly not until after Israel had been restored to the Promised Land - so after 1948. Therefore Christians from Pentecost AD 33 to at least 1948 could not possibly have been living under the New Covenant. Jews are still returning to the land of Israel today, and the Jews in Israel have not yet had God's law written in their hearts, so the New Covenant cannot yet have been implemented.

I hate to tell you, but the Jeremiah 31 new covenant is the last will and Testament of Jesus that took effect at His death, as do all wills.
You’ll find that in Hebrews.
When I read Hebrews I understand it differently. First of all, bear in mind that it was written to the Hebrews - to people who spoke Hebrew, i.e. to the Jews (who had become Christians). The letter was to prepare them for the coming Roman destruction of Jerusalem and the end of the temple and its animal sacrifices, and to warn them to not to revert back to Judaism and that system of worship.

Referring to Hebrews 9 (WEB):
(13) For if the blood of goats and bulls, and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling those who have been defiled, sanctify to the cleanness of the flesh:
(14) how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without defect to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
(15) For this reason he is the mediator of a new covenant, since a death has occurred for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first covenant, that those who have been called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.​

So it is because Jesus offered himself as a sacrifice to God, that he is the mediator of a new covenant (for Israel, who were the only people under the Law Covenant). It's because his death paid the price to redeem all mankind from their condemnation to death because of sin, that those who have been called may receive receive the inheritances that God promised - all shall inherit salvation, Israelites shall inherit the Promised Land forever (Exodus 32:13), the meek shall inherit the earth (share in the earthly kingdom - Matthew 5:5), the righteous who obey God's commandments shall inherit eternal life (Matthew 19:16-17, Matthew 25:46) and Christians shall inherit the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4) and God's Kingdom (1 Corinthians 15:50,53).

Paul then makes a comparison with a person's last will and testament:

(16) For where a last will and testament is, there must of necessity be the death of him who made it.
(17) For a will is in force where there has been death, for it is never in force while he who made it lives.​

But he is not saying that God's covenants were a last will and testament (for God cannot die), but that in a similar manner blood was used to inaugurate the first covenant, signifying that a death was required before the inheritances could be given:

(18) Therefore even the first covenant has not been dedicated without blood.
(19) For when every commandment had been spoken by Moses to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of the calves and the goats, with water and scarlet wool and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book itself and all the people,
(20) saying, “This is the blood of the covenant which God has commanded you.”
(21) Moreover he sprinkled the tabernacle and all the vessels of the ministry in the same way with the blood.
(22) According to the law, nearly everything is cleansed with blood, and apart from shedding of blood there is no remission.
(23) It was necessary therefore that the copies of the things in the heavens should be cleansed with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.
(24) For Christ hasn’t entered into holy places made with hands, which are representations of the true, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us;
(25) nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest enters into the holy place year by year with blood not his own,
(26) or else he must have suffered often since the foundation of the world. But now once at the end of the ages, he has been revealed to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
(27) Inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once, and after this, judgment,
(28) so Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, without sin, to those who are eagerly waiting for him for salvation.​

The new covenant is His will and Testament that took effect at His death:
According to verse 28 (above) we're still waiting for Jesus to appear a second time before that salvation can go into effect. Also, it was not Jesus' will and testament, it was his Father's (God's) will and covenant.

Yes, the new covenant is also a blood covenant, per the above, and confirmed here:

Luk 22:20 And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.
Or as Matthew 26:28 (ASV) states it:
(28) for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many unto remission of sins.​
(The word 'new' is omitted in the oldest manuscripts, both here and in Mark 14:24. Only Luke refers to a 'new' covenant.)

Jesus' death, the pouring out of his blood, enabled God's first covenant to be fulfilled (eventually, in due time). The first covenant was, as Peter said in Acts 3:25 (WEB):

(25) You are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying to Abraham, ‘In your offspring will all the families of the earth be blessed.’​

(referring to Genesis 22:18).

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why was the Mosaic Law covenant given to the nation of Israel ? The apostle Paul wrote to the Galatians: "Why, then, the Law ? It was added to make transgressions manifest, until the offspring should arrive to whom the promise had been made; and it was transmitted through angels by the hand of a mediator."(Gal 3:19)

So, the Mosaic law covenant, that was inaugurated in 1513 B.C.E. (Ex 19:2-8), remained in effect "until the offspring should arrive to whom the promise had been made", Jesus Christ, that would then institute the new covenant that is seen at Jeremiah 31:31-34, which he did on Nisan 14, 33 C.E. And what was the new covenant for ?

At Luke 22, Jesus told his eleven faithful apostles: "You are the ones who have stuck with me in my trials; and I make a covenant with you, just as my Father has made a covenant with me, for a kingdom, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my Kingdom, and sit on thrones to judge the (symbolic) 12 tribes of Israel."(Luke 22:28-30; Note: the King James Bible misleads its readers, failing to inform them of "my Father has made a covenant with me, for a kingdom", or for a heavenly government, for Jesus used the Greek word diatithemi twice [in two different forms] in verse 29 that means "covenant", but which the King James Bible leaves both out)

The new covenant replaced the Mosaic Law covenant, for it only made the Israelites aware of their sinful nature, the need for a redeemer or "repurchaser", always needing to offer sacrificial animals and birds to atone for their (intentional or unintentional) sins and guilt through their blood.(Lev chapters 4-7)

At Galatians 3, the apostle Paul further said that "before the faith arrived (that is not a body of decrees ["dos and don'ts"] that the Mosaic Law stipulated), we were being guarded under (the Mosaic) law, being handed over into custody, looking to the faith that was about to be revealed. So the Law became our guardian leading to Christ, so that we might be declared righteous through faith (that requires a person to seriously examine the Bible of what Jehovah God loves and hates, for there is no exacting list of "dos and don'ts" per se). But now that the faith has arrived, we are no longer under a guardian."(Gal 3:23-25)

At Hebrews 8, Paul tells the Jewish Christians, that "Jesus has obtained a more excellent ministry because he is also the mediator of a correspondingly better covenant (the new covenant), which has been legally established on better promises (because it provides hope of living forever, either in heaven as one of the "chosen ones" [Matt 24:22, 24, 31] or on the earth as "the other sheep" [John 10:16], also called "meek" ones [Matt 5:5]).(Heb 8:6)

Paul now says: "If that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no need for a second........It will not be like the covenant that I made with their forefathers on the day I took hold of their hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, because they did not remain in my covenant, so I stopped caring for them,’ says Jehovah."(Heb 8:7, 9)

Paul now highlights the new covenant, saying: "For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days,’ says Jehovah. ‘I will put my laws in their mind, and in their hearts I will write them. And I will become their God, and they will become my people. And they will no longer teach each one his fellow citizen and each one his brother, saying: “Know Jehovah !” For they will all know me, from the least to the greatest of them. For I will be merciful toward their unrighteous deeds, and I will no longer call their sins to mind.’” In his saying “a new covenant,” he has made the former one obsolete. Now what is obsolete and growing old is near to vanishing away."(Heb 8:10-13)

The new covenant "for a kingdom" was instituted when its first members were chosen, when Jesus offered his perfect shed blood before Jehovah and became the first ' chosen one for a kingdom ' forty days after his resurrection (Luke 23:35; Heb 9:12, 24) and then when the holy spirit was poured out on Pentecost 33 C.E. ten days later (Acts 2:4), that began the selection of 144,000 imperfect individuals for God's heavenly Kingdom, that would be made up of both Jews and Gentiles.(Rom 11:11, 12, 25, 26; Rev 7:4; 14:1-3; see Jesus illustration of the "grand evening meal" at Luke 14:16-24)

This heavenly government, also called "the woman's offspring" at Genesis 3:15, will restore what was lost in the garden of Eden some 6,000 years ago (Gen 1:28-31), that of "meek" ones living on a paradise earth forever as their "inheritance" in perfect health, peace, security, love and weather, after having removed "the wicked".(Ps 37:9-11, 29)

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why was the Mosaic Law covenant given to the nation of Israel ? The apostle Paul wrote to the Galatians: "Why, then, the Law ? It was added to make transgressions manifest, until the offspring should arrive to whom the promise had been made; and it was transmitted through angels by the hand of a mediator."(Gal 3:19)

So, the Mosaic law covenant, that was inaugurated in 1513 B.C.E. (Ex 19:2-8), remained in effect "until the offspring should arrive to whom the promise had been made", Jesus Christ, that would then institute the new covenant that is seen at Jeremiah 31:31-34, which he did on Nisan 14, 33 C.E. And what was the new covenant for ?

At Luke 22, Jesus told his eleven faithful apostles: "You are the ones who have stuck with me in my trials; and I make a covenant with you, just as my Father has made a covenant with me, for a kingdom, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my Kingdom, and sit on thrones to judge the (symbolic) 12 tribes of Israel."(Luke 22:28-30; Note: the King James Bible misleads its readers, failing to inform them of "my Father has made a covenant with me, for a kingdom", or for a heavenly government, for Jesus used the Greek word diatithemi twice [in two different forms] in verse 29 that means "covenant", but which the King James Bible leaves both out)

The new covenant replaced the Mosaic Law covenant, for it only made the Israelites aware of their sinful nature, the need for a redeemer or "repurchaser", always needing to offer sacrificial animals and birds to atone for their (intentional or unintentional) sins and guilt through their blood.(Lev chapters 4-7)

At Galatians 3, the apostle Paul further said that "before the faith arrived (that is not a body of decrees ["dos and don'ts"] that the Mosaic Law stipulated), we were being guarded under (the Mosaic) law, being handed over into custody, looking to the faith that was about to be revealed. So the Law became our guardian leading to Christ, so that we might be declared righteous through faith (that requires a person to seriously examine the Bible of what Jehovah God loves and hates, for there is no exacting list of "dos and don'ts" per se). But now that the faith has arrived, we are no longer under a guardian."(Gal 3:23-25)

At Hebrews 8, Paul tells the Jewish Christians, that "Jesus has obtained a more excellent ministry because he is also the mediator of a correspondingly better covenant (the new covenant), which has been legally established on better promises (because it provides hope of living forever, either in heaven as one of the "chosen ones" [Matt 24:22, 24, 31] or on the earth as "the other sheep" [John 10:16], also called "meek" ones [Matt 5:5]).(Heb 8:6)

Paul now says: "If that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no need for a second........It will not be like the covenant that I made with their forefathers on the day I took hold of their hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, because they did not remain in my covenant, so I stopped caring for them,’ says Jehovah."(Heb 8:7, 9)

Paul now highlights the new covenant, saying: "For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days,’ says Jehovah. ‘I will put my laws in their mind, and in their hearts I will write them. And I will become their God, and they will become my people. And they will no longer teach each one his fellow citizen and each one his brother, saying: “Know Jehovah !” For they will all know me, from the least to the greatest of them. For I will be merciful toward their unrighteous deeds, and I will no longer call their sins to mind.’” In his saying “a new covenant,” he has made the former one obsolete. Now what is obsolete and growing old is near to vanishing away."(Heb 8:10-13)

The new covenant "for a kingdom" was instituted when its first members were chosen, when Jesus offered his perfect shed blood before Jehovah and became the first ' chosen one for a kingdom ' forty days after his resurrection (Luke 23:35; Heb 9:12, 24) and then when the holy spirit was poured out on Pentecost 33 C.E. ten days later (Acts 2:4), that began the selection of 144,000 imperfect individuals for God's heavenly Kingdom, that would be made up of both Jews and Gentiles.(Rom 11:11, 12, 25, 26; Rev 7:4; 14:1-3; see Jesus illustration of the "grand evening meal" at Luke 14:16-24)

This heavenly government, also called "the woman's offspring" at Genesis 3:15, will restore what was lost in the garden of Eden some 6,000 years ago (Gen 1:28-31), that of "meek" ones living on a paradise earth forever as their "inheritance" in perfect health, peace, security, love and weather, after having removed "the wicked".(Ps 37:9-11, 29)

The new covenant is for everyone, and took effect at His death.

As of now there is no Jew no Greek (gentile), all are one in Christ Jesus,

You have admitted the new covenant is in effect, your error is in trying to make it be only for Israel.whereas it’s clearly for everyone now.

Gentiles are now included in the new covenant, because most of Israel rejected their own messiah.

As of now gentiles are grafted into the new covenant that is in effect by faith, since gentiles are now included to make Israel jealous, per Romans 11.

If you’re not in the new covenant you admit is in effect, you’re not saved.

The covenants are a marriage- the first covenant ended when God divorced Israel for spiritual adultery in Jeremiah 3:8, and all believers today, Jew or gentile, are married to Jesus, said Paul, thus are absolutely in the new marriage covenant.

There never were two gospels, there was only one gospel of Christ aka gospel of the kingdom, offered first to the Jew, and then to the gentile after most of Israel rejected Jesus.

There were never two destinies for Gods people, just one destiny given exclusively to His covenant nation of Israel, that has now been expanded to include gentiles.

Your error is in not understanding these facts.

Last edited:

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jeremiah 31:31 is referring to a new covenenant for the Jews only.
The Old Covenant that God had established with His people required strict obedience to the Mosaic Law. Because the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23), the Law required that Israel perform daily sacrifices in order to atone for sin. But Moses, through whom God established the Old Covenant, also anticipated the New Covenant. The New Covenant involves a total change of heart so that God’s people are naturally pleasing to Him.

The prophet Jeremiah also predicted the New Covenant.

“‘The day will come,’ says the Lord, ‘when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah. . . . But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel on that day,’ says the Lord. ‘I will put my law in their minds, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people’” (Jeremiah 31:31, 33).

Jesus Christ came to fulfill the Law of Moses and to establish the New Covenant between God and His people. (Matthew 5:17)

"Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfill them."

The Old Covenant was written in stone, but the New Covenant is written on our hearts. Entering the New Covenant is made possible only by faith in Christ, who shed His blood to take away the sins of the world (John 1:29). Luke 22:20 relates how Jesus, at the Last Supper, takes the cup and says,

“This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood” (ESV).

The New Covenant is also mentioned in Ezekiel 36:26–27,

“I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.”

Ezekiel lists several aspects of the New Covenant here: a new heart, a new spirit, the indwelling Holy Spirit, and true holiness. The Mosaic Law could provide none of these things (see Romans 3:20).

"For no human being will be justified in his sight by works of the law, since through the law comes knowledge of sin."

The New Covenant was originally given to Israel and includes a promise of fruitfulness, blessing, and a peaceful existence in the Promised Land. In Ezekiel 36:28–30 God says,

“Then you will live in the land I gave your ancestors; you will be my people, and I will be your God. . . . I will call for the grain and make it plentiful and will not bring famine upon you. I will increase the fruit of the trees and the crops of the field, so that you will no longer suffer disgrace among the nations because of famine.”

Deuteronomy 30:1–5 contains similar promises related to Israel under the New Covenant. After the resurrection of Christ, Gentiles were brought into the blessing of the New Covenant, too (Acts 10; Ephesians 2:13–14).

"But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near in the blood of Christ. For he is our peace, who has made us both one, and has broken down the dividing wall of hostility," (Eph 2:13-14)​

The fulfillment of the New Covenant will be seen in two places: in the church on earth until the General Resurrection at the end of this age.

We are no longer under the Law but under grace (Romans 6:14–15).

"For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace. What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means!"

The Old Covenant has served its purpose, and it has been replaced by “a better covenant” (Hebrews 7:22).

"This makes Jesus the surety of a better covenant." (Heb 7:22)
“In fact the ministry Jesus has received is as superior to theirs as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, since the new covenant is established on better promises”
(Hebrews 8:6).​

Under the New Covenant, we are given the opportunity to receive salvation as a free gift (Ephesians 2:8–9).

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God--not because of works, lest any man should boast."

Our responsibility is to exercise faith in Christ, the One who fulfilled the Law on our behalf and brought an end to the Law’s sacrifices through His own sacrificial death. Through the life-giving Holy Spirit who lives in all believers (Romans 8:9–11), we share in the inheritance of Christ and enjoy a permanent, unbroken relationship with God (Hebrews 9:15).

"Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred which redeems them from the transgressions under the first covenant."

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The New Covenant is also mentioned in Ezekiel 36:26–27,
The Ezekiel passage is the same as Jeremiah 31. It is God saying to Israel that He will bring them back to the Promised Land and make a new covenant with them:

Ezekiel 36 (WEB):
(22) “Therefore tell the house of Israel, ‘Thus says the Lord Yahweh: “I don’t do this for your sake, house of Israel, but for my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations where you went.
(23) I will sanctify my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned among them. Then the nations will know that I am Yahweh,” says the Lord Yahweh, “when I am proven holy in you before their eyes.
(24) “‘“For I will take you from among the nations and gather you out of all the countries, and will bring you into your own land.
(25) I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean. I will cleanse you from all your filthiness, and from all your idols.
(26) I will also give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit within you. I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh.
(27) I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes. You will keep my ordinances and do them.
(28) You will dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers. You will be my people, and I will be your God.​

(32) I don’t do this for your sake,” says the Lord Yahweh. “Let it be known to you: be ashamed and confounded for your ways, house of Israel.”
(33) “‘Thus says the Lord Yahweh: “In the day that I cleanse you from all your iniquities, I will cause the cities to be inhabited and the waste places will be built.
(34) The land that was desolate will be tilled instead of being a desolation in the sight of all who passed by.
(35) They will say, ‘This land that was desolate has become like the garden of Eden. The waste, desolate, and ruined cities are fortified and inhabited.’
(36) Then the nations that are left around you will know that I, Yahweh, have built the ruined places, and planted that which was desolate. I, Yahweh, have spoken it, and I will do it.”​

Clearly, God doing this to Israel for His own name's sake, and that they will dwell in the Promised Land, so that the nations around Israel will know that it was God that did it, means that this new covenant applies to Israel only and not to all nations and peoples.

The fulfillment of the New Covenant will be seen in two places: in the church on earth until the General Resurrection at the end of this age.
Err, that's only one place! o_O

Under the New Covenant, we are given the opportunity to receive salvation as a free gift (Ephesians 2:8–9).

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God--not because of works, lest any man should boast."
That is not under the New Covenant (which was with Israel only). Some more verses for context, Ephesians 2 (WEB):

(4) But God, being rich in mercy, for his great love with which he loved us,
(5) even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
(6) and raised us up with him, and made us to sit with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
(7) that in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus;
(8) for by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
(9) not of works, that no one would boast.
(10) For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared before that we would walk in them.​

As part of God's new creation, we are to be given the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4), whereas, as you quoted from Ezekiel 36:26, under the New Covenant God "will give you [Israelites] a heart of flesh" - clearly that doesn't apply to Christians who will be spirit beings.

"Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred which redeems them from the transgressions under the first covenant."
To repeat part of what I wrote in post #933, it is because Jesus offered himself as a sacrifice to God, and that his blood cleanses our moral conscienses, that he is the mediator of a new covenant (for Israel, who were the only people under the Law Covenant). It's because his death paid the price to redeem all mankind from their condemnation to death because of sin, that those who have been called (from among the Jews and from among the Gentiles, but the letter is written primarily to Jews) may receive receive the inheritances that God promised - Christians shall inherit the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4) and God's Kingdom (1 Corinthians 15:50,53).

As Peter said concerning Paul's letters, 2 Peter 3:16, "In those, there are some things that are hard to understand". :confused::)

Last edited:

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Promised Land
CHRIST FULFILLED GOD'S PROMISE
When Jesus Christ arrived on the scene in Israel, he ushered in a new covenant available to all people, both Jews and Gentiles alike. At the conclusion of Hebrews 11, the famous "Hall of Faith" passage, the author notes that the Old Testament figures "were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised." (Hebrews 11:39) They may have received the land, but they still looked to the future for the Messiah AND that Messiah is Jesus Christ.

Jesus is the fulfillment of all God's promises, including the promised land:

"For all of God’s promises have been fulfilled in Christ with a resounding “Yes!” And through Christ, our “Amen” (which means “Yes”) ascends to God for his glory." (2 Corinthians 1:20)​

Anyone who believes in Christ as Savior immediately becomes a citizen of the kingdom of God. Still, Jesus told Pontius Pilate,

“My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place.” (John18:36)​

Today, believers abide in Christ and he abides in us in an inner, earthly "promised land." At death, Christians pass into heaven, the eternal promised land.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus is the fulfillment of all God's promises, including the promised land:

"For all of God’s promises have been fulfilled in Christ with a resounding “Yes!” And through Christ, our “Amen” (which means “Yes”) ascends to God for his glory." (2 Corinthians 1:20)​
It's interesting that you have picked the only translation that translates it as "have been fulfilled" (and not mention which translation it is - the NLT, which is derived from the Living Bible, which is a personal paraphrase and not a translation). Clearly not all of God's promises have been fulfilled (such as the promise of a resurrection of the dead to life). Most/all other translations say something like:

"For however many are the promises of God, in him is the “Yes.” (WEB)​

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and not mention which translation it is - the NLT, which is derived from the Living Bible, which is a personal paraphrase and not a translation).
Nitpicking?

Most people do not state the translation used in posting. There was no intent to choose in order to deceive if that is what you are implying.

Furthermore, this is a partial review of the NLT...

"For most of 2008 and 2009, the NLT has consistently averaged a 4th-spot ranking in Bible sales (based upon both unit sale and dollar sales) according to the Christian Booksellers Association. However, in July 2008, the NLT gained the #1 spot in unit sales, unseating the NIV for the first time in over two decades.

New Living Translation - Translation Method
Originally starting out as an effort to revise The Living Bible, a paraphrased version of the Bible, the project evolved into a new English translation from the best Hebrew and Greek texts. The New Living Translation is based on the most recent scholarship in the theory of translation. The challenge for the translators was to create a text that would make the same impact in the life of modern readers that the original text had for the original readers. In the New Living Translation, this is accomplished by translating entire thoughts (rather than just words) into natural, everyday English. The NLT follows a combination of formal equivalence (word-for-word) and dynamic equivalence (thought-for-thought) methods of translation."