Christians are not under the New Covenant

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Clearly not all of God's promises have been fulfilled (such as the promise of a resurrection of the dead to life)
That is true. However, the risen Christ gave us a great picture of what that resurrection on the Last Day will be like in Matt. 27:52-53.

"...the tombs also were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many." (The Holy City in this instance is referring to the New Jerusalem/heaven.)​

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Clearly not all of God's promises have been fulfilled (such as the promise of a resurrection of the dead to life).
The relation between our Lord's teaching and that of the Old Testament is cleared up by our Lord in one striking sentence. He says,

"Don't think that I came to destroy the law, or the prophets. I didn't come to destroy, but to fulfill" (Matthew 5:17).​

The only verse that has not been fulfilled completely is this one from Isaiah 61:2b...

"...and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn;​

Luk 4:16..."And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up; and he went to the synagogue, as his custom was, on the sabbath day. And he stood up to read; and there was given to him the book of the prophet Isaiah. He opened the book and found the place where it was written, "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord." And he closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant, and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. And he began to say to them, "Today this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing."
Jesus came to fulfill the predictions of the prophets, who had long foretold that a Savior would one day appear. He came to fulfill the ceremonial law, by becoming the great sacrifice for sin, to which all the Old Testament offerings had ever pointed. He came to fulfill the moral law, by yielding to it a perfect obedience, which we could never have yielded - and by paying the penalty for our breaking of it with His atoning blood, which we could never have paid.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
None can forgive sins but God only.
That's what the Jews said, but don't forget that Jesus told them that the Son of Man of could forgive sins too (Matthew 9:6), and that the judgement of everybody has been given to Jesus (John 5:22) (and resurrected Christians will judge angels - 1 Corinthians 6:3).

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Nitpicking?
I'm just wary of 'translations' that add to God's word - it can all too easily lead people to go off on tangents of misunderstanding.

... in July 2008, the NLT gained the #1 spot in unit sales, unseating the NIV for the first time in over two decades.
Unfortunately most popular does not necessarily mean most accurate and truthful translation. We need to be aware of how trustworthy each translation is. Paraphrases are the least trustworthy, although they may be helpful to our understanding. I find it helpful to check multiple translations to try to get to the most correct interpretation.

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's what the Jews said, but don't forget that Jesus told them that the Son of Man of could forgive sins too
That is true, but if you believe in the trinity then Jesus also forgave sins while on earth...

Luk 5:20...And when he saw their faith he said, "Man, your sins are forgiven you."
We are to forgive those who have wronged us if they ask for forgiveness or apologize. But no man can forgive a man who has murdered someone and has not repented of his sins through Christ. In other words, no confessional booth with a priest listening to someone who has confessed to murder can bestow forgiveness to that murderer.

Last edited:

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The new covenant replaced the Mosaic Law covenant (Jer 31:31-34) and is for the purpose of establishing God's Kingdom, a heavenly government created to bring to completion Jehovah God's everlasting purpose of a paradise earth for "meek" ones, that was lost in the garden of Eden some 6,000 years ago.(Gen 1:28-31; Ps 37:11, 29; Matt 5:5)

After the rebellion in the garden of Eden, Jehovah immediately made arrangements to undo the damage caused, by revealing a "woman" that would be at enmity or hatred with "the serpent". Their "offspring" would be diametrically opposed to each other, so that on the earth there are only two organizations, Jehovah's and "the serpent" or Satan's.(Gen 3:15)

At Ephesians 1, the apostle Paul wrote: "Praised be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, for he has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in union with Christ, as he chose us (not individually but as a body of "anointed ones", sealed with holy spirit, Eph 1:13, 14, which confirmed their official appointment to the office of "kings and priests" as long as they proved loyal till death, Rev 1:6; 2:10, KJV) to be in union with him before the founding of the world (or before Adam and Eve had children), that we should be holy and unblemished before him in love. For he foreordained us to be adopted as his own sons through Jesus Christ, according to his good pleasure and will."(Eph 1:3-5)

This "woman" or Jehovah's body of loyal angels produced the first "heir" of God's Kingdom, Jesus Christ, as one of her "offspring". Then, from among imperfect obedient mankind, 144,000 additional Kingdom "heirs" (Rev 7:4; 14:1-3) are selected by Jehovah God (2 Thess 2:13, 14), being comprised of both Jew and Gentile (Rom 11:11, 12), and are called "the Israel of God" (Gal 6:16), becoming "spiritual Israel", that would be added as her "offspring".

Isaiah 54 says: "Shout joyfully, you barren (symbolic) woman who has not given birth (yet) ! Become cheerful and cry out for joy, you who never had birth pains, for the sons of the desolate one are more numerous than the sons of the woman with a husband,” says Jehovah. “Make the place of your tent more spacious. Stretch out the tent cloths of your grand tabernacle. Do not hold back, lengthen your tent cords, and make your tent pins strong. For you will spread out to the right and to the left. Your offspring will take possession of nations, and they will inhabit the desolated cities."(Isa 54:1-3)

The nation of fleshly Israel proved to be incorrigible, apostate by the time Jesus arrived on the earth as the Messiah in 29 C.E., so that "the Jews......killed the Lord Jesus (on Nisan 14, 33 C.E.) and the prophets and persecuted us."(1 Thess 2:14, 15; Acts 7:51-53)

So, the new "covenant......for a kingdom" was established with Jesus eleven faithful apostles (Luke 22:29) just before he was executed on a stake the following day (Luke 22:66; 24:44-46), that was extended to more Jews and then to Gentiles down to our day.

Paul wrote: "I do not want you (the fleshly Jews) to be unaware of this sacred secret, brothers, so that you do not become wise (or proud, arrogant) in your own eyes (thinking that you are still God's people): A partial dulling of senses has come upon (fleshy) Israel until the full number of people of the nations (or Gentiles) has come in, and in this manner all Israel (or spiritual Israel) will be saved."(Rom 11:25, 26)

Thus the new covenant unlocked the door to God's heavenly Kingdom (that consists of 144,001 individuals of both Jews and Gentiles who are adopted as Jehovah's sons, Rom 8:14-17), a heavenly government that was "set up" in 1914, and by which Jehovah's everlasting purpose of a paradise earth for "meek" ones, the "other sheep" (John 10:16), those who are subjects of God's Kingdom, will be fulfilled.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is true, but if you believe in the trinity then Jesus also forgave sins while on earth...

Luk 5:20...And when he saw their faith he said, "Man, your sins are forgiven you."
That's true, even if you don't believe in the Trinity.

"But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" - Luke 5:24 (WEB).​

Who gave the Son of Man (Jesus) that authority? God, of course.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The context is important:

13- Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesare'a Philip'pi, he asked his disciples, "Who do men say that the Son of man is?"
14- And they said, "Some say John the Baptist, others say Eli'jah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets."
15- He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"
16- Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
17- And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.
18- And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.
19- I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Greek for "Peter" and "rock"
4074 [e] Πέτρος,
Petros Peter,

4073 [e] πέτρᾳ
petra rock

Peter, for himself and his brethren, said that they were assured of our Lord's being the promised Messiah, the Son of the living God. This showed that they believed Jesus to be more than man. Our Lord declared Peter to be blessed, as the teaching of God made him differ from his unbelieving countrymen. Christ added that he had named him Peter, in allusion to his stability or firmness in professing the truth. The word translated rock, is not the same word as Peter, but is of a similar meaning. Nothing can be more wrong than to suppose that Christ meant the person of Peter was the rock. Without doubt Christ himself is the Rock, the tried foundation of the church; and woe to him that attempts to lay any other!

Eph 1:22...and he has put all things under his feet and has made him the head over all things for the church,
Eph 5:23...For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior.
Eph 5:24...As the church is subject to Christ, so let wives also be subject in everything to their husbands.

Col 1:18...[Christ] is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning, the first-born from the dead, that in everything he might be pre-eminent.​

Not one verse in the NT says that no one other than Jesus alone is the head of the church; his body. The church doesn’t belong to the Pope or to the bishops or to the ministers or even to the people who are its members. The church belongs to Jesus Christ.

yes of course Christ is God savior and head but he ascended to heaven and does not administer his kingdom or his church but appointed others to do so

Lk 10:16
Jn 20:21-23

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This "woman" or Jehovah's body of loyal angels produced the first "heir" of God's Kingdom, Jesus Christ, as one of her "offspring".
Your post sounds like you are sharing the Jehovah's Witnesses' views/beliefs, but I've not heard about angels producing Jesus before. That doesn't sound at all Biblical! The Bible tells that Jesus was/is God's only begotten son, e.g. 1 John 4:9 -

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.​

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Too bad that Peter, the apostle to the Jews, was never in the Roman church.

Peter is always found in the Jerusalem Jewish Christian Church in the Bible, the first church and the preeminent church until it was destroyed.

1 Peter 5:13
The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Peter 5:13
The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son.

Let’s expose the constant litany of revisionist history perpetrated by the RCC.

The claimed history of the RCC, is that Jesus gave Peter the preeminence over all the apostles, that Jesus made Peter the head of His church and built the Roman Catholic church on him, that Peter was therefore the first pope, and that every subsequent pope holds the seat of Peter, via apostolic succession - making their sect the preeminent church that heads all Christendom, and the pope the supreme head over all Christianity.

The first thing wrong with claiming Peter founded and was the head of the RCC, is the fact that God made him the apostle to the Jews, and the Roman church consisted of gentiles.

In the New Testament, Peter is shown multiple times in the Jerusalem church - the Jewish Christian church - and is never found once in the gentile Roman church.

Scripture says Paul is the apostle to the gentiles, and that Peter is the apostle to the Jews (to the circumcision), so Peter would not be the head of a gentile Roman church!

To whit:

Gal 2:7 On the contrary, they saw that God had given me the task of preaching the gospel to the Gentiles, just as he had given Peter the task of preaching the gospel to the Jews.

Gal 2:8 For by God's power I was made an apostle to the Gentiles, just as Peter was made an apostle to the Jews.

That explains why the apostle to the gentiles, Paul, wrote the book of Romans instead of Peter, the supposed head of the RCC.

And Paul calls those in the Roman church, gentiles - in case someone wants to claim that the Roman church isn’t a gentile church.

Romans 1:13 Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among OTHER Gentiles.

And when Paul wanted to visit Peter 3 years after his conversion on Damascus road, he had to go to Jerusalem, where Peter and the Jewish Christian church was, instead of to Rome:

Gal 1:18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.

Peter was not in Rome being the pope - he was at Jerusalem where the Jewish Christian church was.

The second thing wrong with the claim that the first and original church was founded in Rome by Peter, is found in Acts 2, where it’s clear that the church started in Jerusalem, with Peter preaching there to the first 3,000 converts to Christianity.

It’s historical fact that the Jerusalem church was the first church, and was the preeminent church from its beginning in Acts 2, until the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

Wikipedia:

Jerusalem was the first center of the church, according to the Book of Acts, and according to the Catholic Encyclopedia, the location of "the first Christian church".[8] The apostles lived and taught there for some time after Pentecost.[9] James, the brother of Jesuswas a leader in the church, and his other kinsmenlikely held leadership positions in the surrounding area after the destruction of the city until its rebuilding as Aelia Capitolina, c. 130, when all Jews were banished from the city.[9]

In about 50, Barnabasand Paulwent to Jerusalem to meet with the "pillars of the church",[10] James, Peter, and John. Later called the Council of Jerusalem, according to Pauline Christians, this meeting (among other things) confirmed the legitimacy of the mission of Barnabas and Paul to the gentiles, and the gentile converts' freedom from most Mosaic law, especially circumcision.

When Peter left Jerusalem after Herod Agrippa Itried to kill him, James appears as the principal authority.[14] Clement of Alexandria(c. 150–215) called him Bishop of Jerusalem.[14] A second-centurychurch historian, Hegesippus, wrote that the Sanhedrinmartyred him in 62.[14]

In 66, the Jews revolted against Rome.[9] Rome besieged Jerusalem for four years, and the city fell in 70.[9] The city, including the Temple, was destroyed and the population was mostly killed or removed.[9] According to a tradition recorded by Eusebiusand Epiphanius of Salamis, the Jerusalem church fled to Pellaat the outbreak of the First Jewish Revolt.

Notice that the first church council was held in the Jerusalem church - because it was the preeminent church - not Rome.

Also, Jesus told the apostles that none of them would be above the others - Peter was not given preeminence:

Mat 20:25 But Jesus called them unto him,and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.

Mat 20:26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;

Mat 20:27 And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:

Peter didn’t think he was anything but a fellow elder:

1Pe 5:1 The elders which are among you I exhort, who am ALSO an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:

And Jesus did not tell Peter that the church would be built on him:

Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Jesus spoke of two different rocks: Peter is Petros in the Greek - small rock - and the rock the church is built on is Petra - bedrock.

In the Greek Jesus said: thou art PETROS, and upon this PETRA I will build my church.

The language God chose for the New Testament to be written in, explicitly states there are two different rocks there.

Also, the Greek word for church , kuriakos ,is not found in Matthew 16:18 - the word used is ekklesia, meaning a congregation of people assembled together - it does not mean a church organization of Pope, cardinals, bishops, and priests, as the Roman sect wants us to believe.

And in fact the church of Christ isn’t built on any single individual apostle or prophet:

Eph 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

Built on the foundation of apostles, PLURAL, and prophets, PLURAL - not on Peter alone.

In Matthew 16:19 Jesus gives Peter keys (authority) and the power to bind and loose - yet 2 chapters later when He met the other apostles, Jesus gives the same power of binding and loosing to them, too, in Matthew 18:18 - so Peter has no special authority beyond what the 12 shared.

Peter was not a Bishop, or Pope in the Roman church - ever.

Linus was the first bishop/pope of the Roman church, according to the Orthodox Church.

Peter, the apostle to the Jews, is found in the NT only in the Jerusalem church - the Jewish Christian church - not in the gentile Roman church.

And when Paul visited Peter 3 years after his conversion on Damascus road, he had to go to Jerusalem, where Peter and the Jewish Christian church was:

Gal 1:18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.

Peter was not in Rome being a pope.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know why you would make that comment - it should be obvious that I am not a member of the Roman Catholic church and that I disagree with a lot of their stated beliefs. Some people on this forum have even thought that I was a Jehovah's Witness (but I'm not)! My only claim would be that I am a Christian. Man made church organisations are not all that important - what you believe and how you live your life is more important. According to Why does Christianity have so many denominations? there are over 45,000 denominations worldwide, but at least 44,999 of them must be wrong in their stated beliefs!

Jesus said, Matthew 7:15-20 (ESV):
(15) “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.
(16) You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
(17) So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit.
(18) A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit.
(19) Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
(20) Thus you will recognize them by their fruits.​

That's why I commented recently (in post #726) that "I consider them [Jehovah's Witnesses] to be far better Christians than the majority of so called Christians from most of the other thousands of denominations", because in my view the fruits of the JW's are closer to the Christian ideal than most denominations.

Well you should ask former witnesses about teh dictatorial manner they treat their members. but generally they are nice people, hard workers, honest etc. But they are very lost because their fruit of doctrine is poison!

To paraphrase the Apostle Paul:

Romans 10
King James Version

10 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Jehovahs Witnesses is, that they might be saved.

2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In your other post, you used Luke 10:16 which, when compared, is very similar to John. 20:23.

"He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me." (Luke 10:16)
When a person confess his sins to a priest instead of asking forgiveness from anyone other that Christ, he is putting that priest above Christ; therefore creating an idol because it undermines and rejects the authority that was given to Christ to forgive us of our sins.

But it was shortly before Jesus' ascension that He spoke the following words about forgiveness in John 20:23 to his apostles.

"If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained." (John 20:23)​

The Roman Catholic Church teaches that Christ was actually granting to the apostles the authority to forgive sins, and that the apostles passed on to their successors (supposedly the Roman priesthood) the same license to pardon sin.

This position is false. No interpretation is to be placed upon a difficult and obscure passage (such as this one) that would place it in direct conflict with numerous other clear texts.

The fact is, though all Christians are to forgive one another, by have a forgiving attitude (Eph. 4:32), ultimately, only God can bestow absolute pardon (cf. Psa. 130:4; Isa. 43:25; Dan. 9:9; Mic. 7:18; Acts 8:22). The Lord did not grant that right to the apostles or anyone else.

The grammar in John 20:23 is important in order to get the right interpretation of John 20:23. The Greek tenses of John 20:23 make it clear that the apostles were authorized only to announce the terms of forgiveness on the basis of God’s previous appointment.

Literally, the text suggests:

“Those whose sins you forgive, have already been forgiven; those whose sins you do not forgive, have not already been forgiven.”

The first verbs in the two clauses are aorist tense forms, while the second verbs are in the perfect tense. The perfect tense verbs imply an abiding state which commenced before the action of the aorists.

In other words, the apostles (and others since that time) were only authorized to declare forgiveness consistent with what the Lord had already determined.

Lastly, in Acts 2, which is the best example of John 20:23, the disciples were only authorized to announce the terms of salvation rather than personally granting it is confirmed by the fact that on that day of Pentecost, in harmony with the Spirit’s guidance, they did not personally forgive the sins of anyone. Rather, they merely proclaimed the conditions of pardon to which men and women complied eagerly.

To those believers who sincerely inquired: “What shall we do?”, Peter responded,

"Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:37-38).

Immediately after, Peter told them what they had to do for themselves scripture says that:

"...those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.” (Acts 2:41).​

Therefore, upon the basis of responding to Peter's sermon, they received the forgiveness of their sins. This account surely is the pattern of what God inspired Peter to do for receiving forgiveness for their part in the crucifixion of Jesus and for their own personal salvation and stands for the basis of the foundation of Christs' church on earth until He comes at the end of this age.

John 20:23 does not sanction the modern Catholic clergy procedure of granting absolution from sin and to do so is heresy otherwise.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When a person confess his sins to a priest instead of asking forgiveness from anyone other that Christ, he is putting that priest above Christ; therefore creating an idol because it undermines and rejects the authority that was given to Christ to forgive us of our sins.
And yet Jesus taught that we should ask God for forgiveness, not to ask Jesus:

Matthew 6:9,12 (KJV):
(9) After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
(12) And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.​
or (ISV):
(12) and forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who have sinned against us.​

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When his disciples asked Jesus to teach them how to pray, this is how he instructed them, “When you pray, say: ‘Father…’” (Luke 11:1-2). In prayer, we are to address God the Father. This is to be the norm; it is the pattern Jesus gives us to follow. In giving this instruction Jesus is not forbidding prayer directed at other persons of the Trinity, he is showing us that prayer will ordinarily be directed to God the Father.

This is a sentiment reflected by Paul. He writes to the Ephesian Christians of how, Through [Jesus] we… have access to the Father by the one Spirit(Eph. 2:18). This is the posture of the whole Christian life, and the pattern for our praying: by the Spirit, through the Son and to the Father.

If Jesus is, as the Scriptures present him, the one person who is truly God and truly human then how could praying to this Jesus be wrong in principle? There are biblical examples where certain individuals prayed to Jesus.

Stephen - the first Christian martyr prayed to Jesus. (Act 7:55-56, 59-60)

55)But [Stephen], full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God; and he said, 56)"Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing at the right hand of God."

59)And as they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." 60)And he knelt down and cried with a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

1 Corinthians 1 - Jesus is explicitly in view here in verse 2, where Paul describes Christians as those who call on the Lord’s name:

"To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours:"

Later in chapter 16, Paul concludes his letter with an appeal to Jesus:

Our Lord, come (maranatha)!

Then at the end of Revelation 22:20 we read:

He who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!

The writer to the Hebrews adds to this picture in depicting Jesus as our great high priest who represents us to God and God to us. It is to Jesus in this office or role that we can go to find help, and prayer is the means by which we can so approach him:

"Consequently he is able for all time to save those who draw near to God through [Jesus],, since he always lives to make intercession for them." (Heb. 7:25).​

So, why do you think it would be wrong to pray to Jesus?

Reactions: Pathfinder7

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So, why do you think it would be wrong to pray to Jesus?
I didn't say it was wrong to speak/pray to Jesus. You had written that we should not ask for forgiveness from anybody except Jesus, so I was just pointing out that Jesus taught that we should pray to God, our heavenly Father, to ask for forgiveness.

Moriah's Song

Sep 6, 2021
Murphy
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't say it was wrong to speak/pray to Jesus.
Uh, yes you did....

No priest in a confessional can forgive sins and my point is that we can pray either to the Father or to Jesus directly - no priest can forgive sins any more than Mary as mediatrix or even using rosary beads can. These are "traditions of men" teachings that are nowhere found in scripture. Because it is not found in scripture it is heresy because it usurps the authority that belongs to the Godhead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Uh, yes you did....
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough? I wrote "Jesus taught that we should ask God for forgiveness, not to ask Jesus", by which I meant that Jesus taught that we should pray to God, and to ask God for forgiveness for our sins, and that Jesus did not teach us to pray to anybody else but God. I didn't say that Jesus taught us to not pray to him (although he didn't teach that we should pray to him either).

Jesus said, in Matthew 6:6 (WEB):
But you, when you pray, enter into your inner room, and having shut your door, pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.​

All prayer before Jesus' ministry was directed to God (and Jesus prayed to God), and Jesus did not direct us to change that. But I don't think that it is wrong for us to speak, and pray, to Jesus, because after all we are in communion, or fellowship and partnership with Jesus, as members of his body:

1 Corinthians 10:16 (KJV):
(16) The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?
(17) For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.
Jesus further taught about what we should do after he had returned to be with God - John 16:16,23-28 (ESV):

(16) “A little while, and you will see me no longer; and again a little while, and you will see me.”
(23) "In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you.
(24) Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.
(25) I have said these things to you in figures of speech. The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures of speech but will tell you plainly about the Father.
(26) In that day you will ask in my name, and I do not say to you that I will ask the Father on your behalf;
(27) for the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.
(28) I came from the Father and have come into the world, and now I am leaving the world and going to the Father.”​

So we should pray to God, our Father, asking Him in the name of Jesus, asking in and through the merit of Jesus' sacifice. Examples of that:

Acts 12:5) Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.
Romans 10:1) Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
Philippians 4:6) Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
1 Corinthians 11:13) Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
2 Corinthians 13:7) Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; ...