"Christians" Attacking and Slandering Christians What is more Pathetic??

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just a random thought.
Concerning "Heresy Hunting" and "Exposing" all those False Teachers (which none of us ever believe we pursue) “The mind will always take on an order conforming to that upon which it concentrates.”

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A good way to avoid that distraction came in the form of the book I quoted earlier, Celebration of Discipline, but I'm afraid it might be considered too Legalistic for many here to really appreciate. However, it does open up a whole new world.
I have no doubt that there are many good books written with very good advice. I will make a note of the name of this one but I expect to be getting any new books soon unless God provides. I have my small library, plus the public library, plus the Internet and I use each of them, but mostly I read the scriptures. As I have said elsewhere, God has given His answers to others besides those inspired to write the scriptures. Sometimes He will direct us to such a person or such a writing by that person to make His point. We need to remain open and ready.

Reactions: Nancy

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no doubt that there are many good books written with very good advice. I will make a note of the name of this one but I expect to be getting any new books soon unless God provides. I have my small library, plus the public library, plus the Internet and I use each of them, but mostly I read the scriptures. As I have said elsewhere, God has given His answers to others besides those inspired to write the scriptures. Sometimes He will direct us to such a person or such a writing by that person to make His point. We need to remain open and ready.
Your last sentence is what that book is all about. The disciplines put us on that path of openness.

Reactions: amadeus

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unfortunately we are taught by our culture that contributing to any conversation requires improvement or disagreement. We are also taught to ignore conversation without negativity/drama

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your last sentence is what that book is all about. The disciplines put us on that path of openness.
Very good! You have aroused my curiosity. I have made a note of the name and will check the library and/or eventually the Bible bookstore. Thanks!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like Richard Foster (author of Celebration of Disciple) warning, he helped me explore catholicism and eventually join. And, i am currently attending a Quaker Church, although I think Foster may no longer be Quaker

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Just a random thought.
Concerning "Heresy Hunting" and "Exposing" all those False Teachers (which none of us ever believe we pursue) “The mind will always take on an order conforming to that upon which it concentrates.”
Christians do not need to be obsessed with heresies and heretics. But false doctrines need to be exposed as and when the opportunity arises. Irenaeus of Lyons wrote a book titled Against Heresies because he thought it was critical to deal with them.

"Inasmuch as certain men have set the truth aside, and bring in lying words and vain genealogies, which, as the apostle says, "minister questions rather than godly edifying which is in faith," and by means of their craftily-constructed plausibilities draw away the minds of the inexperienced and take them captive, [I have felt constrained, my dear friend, to compose the following treatise in order to expose and counteract their machinations.]"
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/irenaeus-book1.html

We should not assume that all Christians can automatically discern heresies from truth. So if we know the truth, we are to speak the truth and also expose the lies. We see this throughout Scripture.

Indeed, in the letters to the Seven Churches, the Lord holds each and every Christian accountable for what is taught and practiced in his or her church.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians do not need to be obsessed with heresies and heretics. But false doctrines need to be exposed as and when the opportunity arises. Irenaeus of Lyons wrote a book titled Against Heresies because he thought it was critical to deal with them.

"Inasmuch as certain men have set the truth aside, and bring in lying words and vain genealogies, which, as the apostle says, "minister questions rather than godly edifying which is in faith," and by means of their craftily-constructed plausibilities draw away the minds of the inexperienced and take them captive, [I have felt constrained, my dear friend, to compose the following treatise in order to expose and counteract their machinations.]"
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/irenaeus-book1.html

We should not assume that all Christians can automatically discern heresies from truth. So if we know the truth, we are to speak the truth and also expose the lies. We see this throughout Scripture.

Indeed, in the letters to the Seven Churches, the Lord holds each and every Christian accountable for what is taught and practiced in his or her church.
Yes, the key.... Your final five words.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like Richard Foster (author of Celebration of Disciple) warning, he helped me explore catholicism and eventually join. And, i am currently attending a Quaker Church, although I think Foster may no longer be Quaker
The man who forged my denomination, John Wimber, was also a Quaker.

Reactions: Helen and aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We actually began attending strictly because of all the hate rhetoric online about them. I figured if that many Christians Haters gnashed their teeth at them, they HAD to be doing a lot right.

Ha! Nice. Glad it has worked out for you. Have to go where you find God. My aunt attended that denomination for 30 years

Reactions: Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, it hasn't worked out all that well. I still consider myself "Vineyard", but our local preacher and a small following began not to believe in Hell at all, and to make celebrities of homosexuals. We are presently, after 5 years, church-shopping again because the nearest Vineyard is more than an hour away.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians" Attacking and Slandering Christians What is more Pathetic?? Why do satan"s work? Why help satan? Why allow satan to use you as his tool, fool, puppet?? Think!!
Many ways to "help" Satan, Biblically speaking.
  1. A "watchman on the wall" who fails to give the warning. Any resulting innocent shed blood is on his hands, saith the Lord.
  2. Suffering sin upon a brother by refusing to point it out - what Leviticus 19:17 defines in no uncertain terms as "hate".
  3. Mistaking the Synagogue of Satan as the Church of Christ by allowing false doctrine to take up residence in our midst.
But if by "attack" you mean insulting, condescending, hateful words against a fellow believer's character, well then, I agree that has no place in the hearts of those in whom the love of Christ is supposed to reside.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many ways to "help" Satan, Biblically speaking.
  1. A "watchman on the wall" who fails to give the warning. Any resulting innocent shed blood is on his hands, saith the Lord.
  2. Suffering sin upon a brother by refusing to point it out - what Leviticus 19:17 defines in no uncertain terms as "hate".
  3. Mistaking the Synagogue of Satan as the Church of Christ by allowing false doctrine to take up residence in our midst.
But if by "attack" you mean insulting, condescending, hateful words against a fellow believer's character, well then, I agree that has no place in the hearts of those in whom the love of Christ is supposed to reside.

Especially when there is no correction per His words out of Christ's love for the one that is being "attacked" in the hopes it will lead to awareness and repentance as God only can causes the increase.

When believers act like Pharisees in just condemning the believer instead of condemning the sin or exposing the works of darkness in the hopes it will lead to repentance, then there is no love.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This includes more, Aspen. There is also a downloadable SOF down toward the bottom of the page..
https://vineyardusa.org/about/core-values-beliefs/

Do you guys walk around talking about ‘Kingdom Living’ and ‘Kingdom values’? I know vineyard has been around a lot longer, but is it sort of a forerunner of emergent churches? I will read more....

Thanks for the link

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's free online.
You don't realize how very inept I am when it comes to a lot of things available online. I wouldn't know where or how to start looking for an online book free or otherwise.

Reactions: Helen