1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christians mistreating other Christians over doctrinal differences

Discussion in 'Christian Spirituality Forum' started by Soverign Grace, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Soverign Grace

Soverign Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    It's good to remember that the tares are in our midst. Probably in our churches.

That's insightful - that a tare can claim abuse when someone calls them out and exposes them/ their lies. Satan is a crafty being.

I wonder why two people with Christ's spirit could rub each other the wrong way when we're given the command to love unless it's just personality differences. We had two people leave our bible study because they didn't agree with the pastor's teaching on salvation - they thought you could lose their salvation. That's a non-issue for me - I don't believe you can but apparently it's something that others think differently about. I thought it was such a shame that they'd leave a vibrant study over that. They're things I don't understand.

2. Dan57

Dan57 Active Member

United States
    Doctrine is just a set of beliefs that someone has been taught, to which they've decided to subscribe and adhere to.. Challenging a set of beliefs is not necessarily an attack, nor should it be construed as an threat. If someone tells me I'm going to hell for disobeying the 3rd commandment ("Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy"), I don't consider it as any form of mistreatment, but just a differing opinion. There are some wild things (doctrine) that I disagree with, but feeling mistreated lands in my lap, that's just pride screwing with me.

amadeus, Helen and stunnedbygrace like this.
  3. Not me

Not me Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Carnality ??

In Christ, Not me

4. Episkopos

Episkopos Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

In worse cases there is an ignore feature. Some people are more aggressive in their ignorance indoctrination than others.

I don't know what happened to humility and kindness....except to say that when you appeal to the flesh and it's desire to survive...and call that salvation...anything goes.

5. Episkopos

Episkopos Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

True...but one must consider that a religious bent on any doctrine can hurt people with more fragile dispositions. Not to say that any one of us is the guardian of all truth.

But for that person's sake and they who he is trying to teach...we can avoid a lot of grief by a simple correction. Then, what that person does with it...is their business. In the end we are each responsible for that which we adhere to. If we can believe that God is a certain way with others...then He just may be that way with us. As we sow so shall we reap. If we judge we shall also be judged.

Did I mention the fear of the Lord?

6. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    United States Minor Outlying Islands
    irons sharpens iron in a new light eh
    dunning-krueger chart IMG_0374.JPG

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Jane_Doe22 likes this.
  7. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    i wanna like this, but "dishonesty/honesty" does not strike me as quite the right frame for some reason

8. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    i should never eat meat again maybe
    after all, who has the truth anyway?

9. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    You are kind to say I have a soft heart, but not always! I have to ask Him to soften it up at times like, all of this for example; forgiving her...

"But it also makes me double-check what I'm doing because I never want anyone to hurt the way I am. "

For sure!!! I would never, ever intentionally hurt anyone, much less another Christian.

"I think there is a balance there of trying to do what we think God wants while also protecting ourselves."

Sure is a balance, but without discernment we can make ourselves crazy! And, this is exactly why I think we get hurt so badly by other Christians...we want to obey God in all ways yet, there are times where we might think it is God saying "help this person" and then there is that "other" voice. Since Satan comes as an angel of light we NEED this discernment more than ever!
    God Bless sister!

10. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    boiling a kid in mother's milk comes to mind

11. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    ok let's not forget that appropriating the titles "Savior, Lord, King of Kings, Messiah" from Caesars (and Pharaohs) prolly hurt ol Julius a little, and that whipping some ass now and then, in the temple no less, might be called for. So let me rephrase; i would intentionally--and admittedly for me maybe a little too gleefully--hurt someone who is asking for it.

And i know this sounds mean but i would be suspicious of anyone who professes that they "would never intentionally hurt anyone, much less another Christian" arg
    love, mark

12. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Ha! Be as suspicious as you like Mark...makes me no difference. Just because YOU would do this and take glee no less does not mean everybody else would!
    Funny you say that, I read Proverbs last night and, don't remember the exact verse but if we take "glee" in someone's punishment God will rescind the punishment He has waiting for them so...careful!! Yes, it can be a tempting thing to know someone who hurts us is being hurt in the same way as they hurt us but, we have to fight hard against those things...the line in the sand...on the one side is doing the wrong and the other side is "I'm dead to that", and move on. Not always an easy thing to do but not impossible either so, what side are you standing on brother?

amadeus, Helen and bbyrd009 like this.
  13. Willie T

Willie T Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I think most of it comes from having the same attitude about those that we consider "others", that the Calvinists have nurtured. Every single one of us speaks of "them & us". THEM, being the ones who don't have the truth, as WE do. "You know, those nasty "TARES."

How great it is that we can confidently stand with the Pharisee praying at the Temple, and thank God that "We are not like THEM."

14. Man on Fire

Man on Fire Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Since WWII, Christians have been taught to be "More Tolerant." No moral person is tolerant of everything.

When someone is saved, they may have been saved at different points in their life, they may have had different frames of thought, or view points. As someone grows in Faith and seek God, false beliefs are stripped away. People tend to see things more as God sees them. They tend to vote more the same. They tend to be of one mind. The mind of Christ.

There are differences. We are a Body of Christ, and men may have had different roles. Some are the Apostles, some are the Prophets, some the Pastors, the teachers, some the Evangelists. It is not that everyone is exactly the same, but they tend to think more alike and be motivated more the same and motivated to build God's Kingdom. On Earth as it is in Heaven.

There has been a line being drawn in the Church. Part of that line has had to do with politics. Modernism was an philosophical movement that started roughly with the French Revolution and ended with the Fall of the Berlin Wall. Modernism came to be seen as man triumphing over the world's problems without God or religion. Modernism would be Luciferian believing someone has The Light outside of God. Someone who was a Modernist, may have worked to marginalize Christians and believed he was his own god, a follower of Nietzsche. Post Modernism has been marked by "Moral Relativity," the idea there is no truth. A Moral Relativist who was a Post Modernist may have tried to browbeat people with their subjective truth. They have had a subjective morality, and have worked to judge others objectively. Part of that is Satanism. In the Churches, as well as in politics, a line has been being drawn. Who has the Spirit of God, and who doesn't? Who was at Church because it was a tradition, or they had a tradition and an agenda? These things may be being made more clear for people to see.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Reggie Belafonte likes this.
  15. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    yes, i know Imelda Marcos loved Love too. Imo be the most suspicious of them types, the unconscious/clueless/unintentional
    yes, ty nancy
    so, i would hold to the one and not let go of the other, maybe beat anyone up who was trying to shut you down :)

Nancy likes this.
  16. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    word

hey will you come Proclaim at my congregation if we pay the fare?
    first class alla way?
    IMG_0375.JPG
    the hidden church of the holy cross,
    pitcher dont even do it any justice bro
    :D

(wonder how many pine nuts a first class ticket costs, hmm)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Helen likes this.
  17. Man on Fire

Man on Fire Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I had an argument with a Christian whose mom has been a big Church goer all her life. Said Church goers daughter, the one I was talking to, has been promoting gay marriage in the Church, and got her mom to support her. These two people have been related to me. I became righteously angry, and I worked to show them what the Bible really said and why? The daughter told me more or less "You have a subjective morality, and have no right to judge." She was using her subjective morality objectively, working to browbeat others, and projecting her wrong doings onto others. The Bible is Objective. The Bible asserts Truth. The daughter was an egotist and a weirdo who became "self-entitled" and "self-centered" and adopted false ideologies to feel good about her sin instead of repenting.

In a way, the daughter in this testimony, would be playing her part in drawing a line. She was doing her part to draw a line in a Church, and all a Christian may have to do, is highlight it, and show how she was wrong and why? A prophetic type person, or someone full of God's Holy Spirit, may be someone who had no problems throwing some people out in the first place, but was deemed to hostile or too uncompromising for a Luke-Warm Congregation, and pushed outside at times. No moral person is tolerant of everything. What business does the light have with Darkness and Lies? None.

18. Giuliano

Giuliano Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I think the reason is vanity, wounded pride.

Religion can be attractive to people since you can hold almost any view and say no one can prove you wrong. It's a lot safer than dealing with the news or science since someone might prove you wrong in those areas. Why, you can even promote yourself as an authority in religious affairs; and others who know they don't know might be impressed. Thus I conclude that religion attracts some people because they're losers in other areas of life; but they can pretend to be experts in religion. Oh my, this can be gratifying to the ego.

Tell someone with this affliction will feel emotionally distressed if others dare to disagree. His feeling of self worth is threatened.

Realize this: Some people who get obnoxious over religious differences are actually unsure about things themselves since they're just putting on an act. Others may feel if they dare question their own beliefs, they might be damned or something. All these are obvious signs of weakness to an unbiased observer; but the afflicted person has too much at stake emotionally to admit it. Often the more people argue with them, the tighter they hold onto their opinions and claim to know things when they actually don't.

I suspect some of the more abusive cases that show up are basket cases in real life. They managed to alienate almost everyone else in their lives by being so aggressive and trying to domineer them; then they show up in forums and act the same way.

The real question then is if there is anything that can be done to help them? I think the answer is yes. If they can learn something about life on a forum, then they could apply it in their real lives. I have some suggestions then.

1. Never let them win by being angry and mean. That doesn't mean you have to agree with them; but you never tell them they're right if you honestly don't agree.

2. End conversations if they get too unpleasant and tell them you don't think the conversations are going anywhere. Ignore them for bad behavior.

3. When they do say something pleasantly and rationally in other places you agree with, go ahead and agree. Be as pleasant as you can be. This is an attempt to reward them to good behavior. If their goal is to get attention, you want to teach them that they need to be pleasant if they want your attention. If they want to be rude, you'll ignore them.

Perhaps their parents didn't raise them the right way. You may see parents telling a child no in a store when the child wants candy. If the child throws a fit, that tells you the child has learned he can often get what he wants by annoying his parents; and if you see the parents buying the candy, that's a clear sign the child has learned the wrong lessons in life. He can get candy by throwing a tantrum.

4. If you see others being snared by this type, you can suggest to them to opt out of the unpleasant situation, either by private message or a short post.

Helen and Reggie Belafonte like this.
  19. Man on Fire

Man on Fire Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States

The Truth hurts. Knowledge brings sorrow. Ignorance is bliss?

What has happened in The Dark? Small difference in doctrine may have been a slippery slope into darkness, and allowed in some spirits.

20. Willie T

Willie T Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    It will cost a lot less, bbyrd, if I just send you a sermon audio:

Helen likes this.