Christians mistreating other Christians over doctrinal differences

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Man on Fire

Jul 10, 2018
Durham
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder why two people with Christ's spirit could rub each other the wrong way when we're given the command to love unless it's just personality differences.

Matt and Chris are talking in a coffee shop. Both Matt and Chris have been Church goers. Matt starts to talk about how a Christian Baker who didn't want to participate in a gay wedding was being discriminatory and wrong. Chris works to inform Matt about sin, and how Christians shouldn't participate or be promoting it.

Matt says: "You shouldn't be so Judgemental."

Chris retorts: "Jesus Chastises and Rebukes those he loves." (Hebrews 12:6)(Revelations 3:19)

Matt, in Judging the Christian baker as "Discriminatory" was Judging in the way Matt used the word. To be chastised and rebuked, someone needs standards. A man goes to work, there is a dress standard, business attire with shirt tucked in, given he doesn't meet that standards, he may get chastised and rebuked. Matt would be wrong, in the dark, with false perspectives. Matt could have been a Conservative Evangelical Christian or a Catholic who didn't understand "God chastises and rebukes" or "Deuteronomy 8:5" because he didn't really know God. He had false ideologies or perspectives.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes, i know Imelda Marcos loved Love too. Imo be the most suspicious of them types, the unconscious/clueless/unintentional
yes, ty nancy

so, i would hold to the one and not let go of the other, maybe beat anyone up who was trying to shut you down :)

Lol...you slay me bro :D

Reactions: bbyrd009

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think most of it comes from having the same attitude about those that we consider "others", that the Calvinists have nurtured. Every single one of us speaks of "them & us". THEM, being the ones who don't have the truth, as WE do. "You know, those nasty "TARES."

How great it is that we can confidently stand with the Pharisee praying at the Temple, and thank God that "We are not like THEM."

Agreed Willie, but staying far away from that "C" word...cannot and will not even reply to the C post's anymore...doesn't mean I do not love them too just, bad memories of it. :)

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed Willie, but staying far away from that "C" word...cannot and will not even reply to the C post's anymore...doesn't mean I do not love them too just, bad memories of it. :)
Well, just like with Gally Trot, there are certain things we are obviously aware of, and just have to accept. Both have some issues to deal with. But so do most of us. I won't coddle either, but neither can I just cut them off. My years as a Psychiatric Aide are long past, but some of the residue has stuck. LOL

Reactions: Nancy

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder why two people with Christ's spirit could rub each other the wrong way when we're given the command to love unless it's just personality differences.
Sometimes, it's developmental differences.
I still appreciate the Baptist church that led me to Jesus.
They are none too happy with me getting the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, though.
(They will eventually get it, too, when God pours out His Spirit on all flesh... ;))

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(They will eventually get it, too, when God pours out His Spirit on all flesh... ;))

Yes, I agree here about "developmental differences. Like, as long as we are on the same path that is a good thing, yet some are further behind than others, we all grow at differing rates. We grow as we learn and move a little bit further but...one day, when all who will run this race to completion, THEN we will all be on the same page :)
JMHO.

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
in what context? i'm more or less a rock lol, so i dunno

you know the line from the cartoon movie
"it's so fluffy i wanna die?"
sorry dunno what movie, just walked through during that line, some kid movie, minions maybe?
so, that
'Fluffy' sounds very restful. You can absolutely rest in Truth.

Honesty is touched by Truth, love and faith.
Dishonesty is touched by deception, fear and doubt.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since every Christian is baptized with the Holy Spirit (receives the gift of the Holy Ghost), why would anyone be unhappy about that? See Titus 4:3-7.

I attended a baptist Church for 2.5 years and, they do not believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit, at lease, they never, ever taught on it.

Reactions: Sabertooth

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since every Christian is baptized with the Holy Spirit (receives the gift of the Holy Ghost), why would anyone be unhappy about that? See Titus 4:3-7.
I mean to the inclusion of manifesting the charismata. It is not in anyone's best interest that I should renounce the charismata in an effort to keep my detractors happy. I will just have to live with their displeasure.

"And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples he said to them, 'Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?'

So they said to him, 'We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.'

And he said to them, 'Into what then were you baptized?'

So they said, 'Into John’s baptism.'

Then Paul said, 'John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.'

When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied." Acts of the Apostles 19:1-6 NKJV

That was my experience of "the Baptism of the Holy Spirit." At that point, my two choices become
  1. To fully receive that Blessing, or
  2. To reject it[/Him] in the interest of maintaining peace with those who do not [yet] recognize that experience. (That they have an alternate use for the phrase "baptized with the Holy Spirit" is not germane to my stated dilemma.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hidden In Him

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ah well i'm a liar and a thief tho...
ah, dishonesty is a human condition of the world we live in. Every time we create a personal issue or an agenda, tension arises in us, and we again experience dishonesty of consciousness _ our red flag that reminds us to let go let God.

Reactions: Helen

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can those who claim to have Christ's spirit within turn around and abuse another believer just because he or she has a difference of opinion?
This would be true if doctrine was only a matter of 'opinion'. True truths from God's Word would constitute doctrine and that is not just a matter of opinion. OTOH abusing/harassing each other should never happen even over true doctrine.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Doctrine is just a set of beliefs that someone has been taught, to which they've decided to subscribe and adhere to.. Challenging a set of beliefs is not necessarily an attack, nor should it be construed as an threat. If someone tells me I'm going to hell for disobeying the 3rd commandment ("Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy"), I don't consider it as any form of mistreatment, but just a differing opinion. There are some wild things (doctrine) that I disagree with, but feeling mistreated lands in my lap, that's just pride screwing with me.

Good word..and well said...agree. :)

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This would be true if doctrine was only a matter of 'opinion'. True truths from God's Word would constitute doctrine and that is not just a matter of opinion.
"For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known." 1 Corinthians 13:12 NKJV

There are two versions of "doctrine,"
  1. God's Word in its entirety, &
  2. That part which we have already somewhat digested.
On this side of Eternity, #2 is always significantly less than #1. To make matters worse, God doesn't necessarily teach us all the same lessons, at the same time. So, while all of the faithful have some of the Truth, we don't all have the same snapshot at the same time. That is a function of the Holy Spirit in the process of sanctification (and in building His Church).

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will
  • teach you all things, and
  • bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." John 14:26 NKJV

Reactions: Soverign Grace

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We attend a Baptist church now too. Do you mean speaking in tongues?

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Speaking in Tongues is just the beginning.

I'm unsure what you mean about "Baptism in the Spirit." I knew I was spiritually regenerated. I was prayed over and could speak in tongues but I read things about it that concerned me so I withheld doing it until God led me into more teaching. What else is there?