Christians mistreating other Christians over doctrinal differences

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've been a believer over 40 years and throughout that time I've met a lot of good people, yet I've also seen Christians become abusive to other Christians over doctrinal differences. A believer that I respect said to me a long time ago: "Christians like to cut other Christians up."

Why is this?

How can those who claim to have Christ's spirit within turn around and abuse another believer just because he or she has a difference of opinion? Why do they think it's okay as long as they think it's "for the Lord"?

It's okay to disagree yet we see people cross the line and start getting downright MEAN.

James 3:10

“Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.”

Certainty
Faith is complicated, a walk that has many twists and turns, and lots of different considerations.
Often people have an emotional history with certain beliefs or ideas linked with difficult events.
An innocent comes along and shares their heart.

Boom. They are .... and have come from ..... and need this quick word .... and are definitely from the deceivers pit .....

I have found it ironic, some have used actual verbal aggression against me, tried to break me down in whatever means they had, and then in later times used words like others not being polite to them. Unfortunately there are people sown by they enemy whose aim is to cause tumult and discord, and Jesus says simply, thorns and thistles are not grapes and figs, so see how they treat others, and reject them if their lives and words do not show the love Jesus has.

I used to think that there would not be some close to faith, yet hard as iron to the love Jesus brings. But just as the pharisees did not have the love of God in their hearts, so some have all the words but not the reality, the repentance and humbleness that comes with the walk of faith.

A sign that is plain is anger. If something annoys us, we need to work it through until the point before the Lord we have found resolution. It is there we have then found our response with a clear conscience and a good heart.

It was ironic to me, when I pointed this out to some who got so angry they wanted to throw things and use ridiculous language, started to claim they were not angry. Unfortunately lying was not a problem to them, or sin as a whole, because faith or belief is all that mattered and not who or what they were. It became more like talking to an atheist pretending to have faith. I was criticised for praying, for praising God, for rejoicing in His word, for having inspiration through His love and victory. It never occurred to them these very criticisms, declared there own denial of knowledge of God and what is good. To them only their "group" had the right to be in a real relationship with Jesus. For my part any faith they had in Jesus, I say amen, and pray they walk deeper in His word and ways, Praise the Lord.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
ah, dishonesty is a human condition of the world we live in. Every time we create a personal issue or an agenda, tension arises in us, and we again experience dishonesty of consciousness _ our red flag that reminds us to let go let God.
well, as i said i'm not quite sure "dishonesty" is the word i would have plugged in there, mighta used Hypocrisy or something, but that doesnt mean you dont have a point, more like just that i saw exceptions to what was imo being said as an Absolute Truth, just like i do now for up there, for instance someone who always lies or even embellishes say is maybe not being dishonest at all, they could be said to be "true to themselves" right? And what if i didnt create a personal issue, a personal issue just arose? And i create agendas all the time--bout to grab the dog and go up to the trailhead for a quickie; found Storm King yesterday, its 3/8 of a mile from here woo hoo--and im not feeling any tension at all? "Dishonesty of consciousness" id have to marinate on, not sure what that means. Could you rephrase that? ty

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
This would be true if doctrine was only a matter of 'opinion'. True truths from God's Word would constitute doctrine and that is not just a matter of opinion. OTOH abusing/harassing each other should never happen even over true doctrine.
ok then i would invite you and anyone else who feels led to state a single true-true from God's "Word" if you will, and let's see!

prolly wont be back until like 6 pm or something...ha which will be truetrue the time in numbers here for me, but then you might be somewhere where that is not true i guess. Ok til then then

Reactions: Helen

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
ok then i would invite you and anyone else who feels led to state a single true-true from God's "Word" if you will, and let's see!

prolly wont be back until like 6 pm or something...ha which will be truetrue the time in numbers here for me, but then you might be somewhere where that is not true i guess. Ok til then then

6 "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
John 14

Reactions: prism

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known." 1 Corinthians 13:12 NKJV

There are two versions of "doctrine,"
  1. God's Word in its entirety, &
  2. That part which we have already somewhat digested.
On this side of Eternity, #2 is always significantly less than #1. To make matters worse, God doesn't necessarily teach us all the same lessons, at the same time. So, while all of the faithful have some of the Truth, we don't all have the same snapshot at the same time. That is a function of the Holy Spirit in the process of sanctification (and in building His Church).

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will
  • teach you all things, and
  • bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." John 14:26 NKJV
1 Timothy 1:3 NKJV
[3] As I urged you when I went into Macedonia-remain in Ephesus that you may charge some that they teach no other doctrine,

1 Timothy 4:6,13,16 NKJV
[6] If you instruct the brethren in these things, you will be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished in the words of faith and of the good doctrine which you have carefully followed. [13] Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. [16] Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.

1 Timothy 6:3 NKJV
[3] If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness,

The verse you quoted from 1Cor 13 has to do with the limited revelation we have been given from God's Word, but what we have been given it is sure.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"For God so love the world that He gave His only begotten Son".. is a true truth from God's Word.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What else is there?
Besides "Tongues" being a recurrent manifestation of the BoHS, it is a prayer language, too. Other Gifts, like those mentioned in 1 Corinthians 12:4-11, take Body ministry to the next level. For me, there was an increased sense of what the Holy Spirit wanted from me, instead of just a cold reading of the Bible. (The Bible is still the standard [2 Timothy 3:16], but Holy Spirit-guidance is more specific; more dynamic.)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Besides "Tongues" being a recurrent manifestation of the BoHS, it is a prayer language, too. Other Gifts, like those mentioned in 1 Corinthians 12:4-11, take Body ministry to the next level. For me, there was an increased sense of what the Holy Spirit wanted from me, instead of just a cold reading of the Bible. (The Bible is still the standard [2 Timothy 3:16], but Holy Spirit-guidance is more specific; more dynamic.)

Yes.
thumbup1[1].gif

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

That looks like a good one Nancy...
I have bookmarked it and will listen to it with Dave.

( It may have been a good one to post in that thread by the new lady Jennifer.... eh. Thread - " I feel bad". Seems like a timely word ...) Or..maybe not, as I haven't listened to it yet , so I don't know if it is about offence taken , or offence given.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Besides "Tongues" being a recurrent manifestation of the BoHS, it is a prayer language, too.
Since the Bible is clear that not all Christians will speak in tongues, it should be evident that there are other criteria for being filled with the Spirit. But absolutely everyone who receives the gift of the Holy Ghost becomes a child of God (by the regenerating power of the Holy Spirit). And that is the biblical *baptism WITH the Holy Spirit*.

Something which should be carefully noted. In Acts 2 about 3,000 unbelieving Jews were saved and baptized. They were also told that when they repented and believed on the Lord Jesus Christ they would receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. But there is absolutely no record that any of those 3,000+/- spoke in tongues. It was the apostles and the disciples of Christ in the Upper Room who spoke in tongues (before this multitude was saved).

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since the Bible is clear that not all Christians will speak in tongues, it should be evident that there are other criteria for being filled with the Spirit. But absolutely everyone who receives the gift of the Holy Ghost becomes a child of God (by the regenerating power of the Holy Spirit). And that is the biblical *baptism WITH the Holy Spirit*.
There are those who would use your version of being filled with the Holy Spirit to denounce my experience and, in turn, require me to renounce it. I'm okay with "live and let live."

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There are those who would use your version of being filled with the Holy Spirit to denounce my experience and, in turn, require me to renounce it. I'm okay with "live and let live."

A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument! :)

Mine was in the winter of 1968 ....

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
What did you come to bring then?
a spliff lol.
Take care of your endocannabinoid system, and it will take care of you ha

but the correct answer is a sword i guess, not that the subject was me tho
6 "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
John 14
that is a belief, not an absolute truth, sorry

bam try again if you like

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
"For God so love the world that He gave His only begotten Son".. is a true truth from God's Word.
nope, sorry, that is a belief, one that i happen to share with you, although i do also recognize that no Son of Man may die for another's sins...which you likely do not, but anyway, no absolute truth there, sorry. pls try again if you like

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been a believer over 40 years and throughout that time I've met a lot of good people, yet I've also seen Christians become abusive to other Christians over doctrinal differences. A believer that I respect said to me a long time ago: "Christians like to cut other Christians up."

Why is this?

How can those who claim to have Christ's spirit within turn around and abuse another believer just because he or she has a difference of opinion? Why do they think it's okay as long as they think it's "for the Lord"?

It's okay to disagree yet we see people cross the line and start getting downright MEAN.

James 3:10

“Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.”
Can you be more specific? What do you define as abusive?

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nope, sorry, that is a belief, one that i happen to share with you, although i do also recognize that no Son of Man may die for another's sins...which you likely do not, but anyway, no absolute truth there, sorry. pls try again if you like
It's not a belief. It is God's Word revealed to us through His Prophets and Apostles.