Christians, what's Up With Heaven & Hell?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
I've been reading the Bible a lot lately and I've become taken aback by how stark the differences are between what I read and what many in the Christian community believe, teach, and practice. It sometimes makes me wonder whether the religion many practice comes from the book at all as it seems like the book is only used to back religious preconceptions rather than to develop initial beliefs.
Today, I am interested in seeing scriptural evidence that suggests that a heavenly inheritance is promised to all believers. Every believer I have encounter seems to believe this, but from what I read in the scriptures Heaven was mentioned as a reward very sparingly and in fact not until Jesus in the NT brought it up in reference to the Kingdom. It seems like the heavenly promise was made by Jesus to a select group as opposed to all believers of all time. The hope of the everyone else righteous seems to be that of LIFE eternal, made possible by Jesus. I'll include references.

(Jn 10:10b).... I came that they may have life, and may have it abundantly.

(Jn 5:39-40).. "You search the Scriptures, because you suppose that in them you will find the Life of the Ages; and it is those scriptures that yield testimony concerning me; and yet you are unwilling to come to me that you may have Life.

(Jn 6:68)..."Master," replied Simon Peter, "to whom shall we go? Your teachings tell us of the Life of the Ages.

(Jn 11:25)..."I am the Resurrection and the Life," said Jesus; "he who believes in me, even if he has died, he shall live;

(Rom 6:21-23)...What fruit had ye then in those things of which ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. But now that you have been set free from the tyranny of Sin, and have become the bondservants of God, you have your reward in being made holy, and you have the Life of the Ages as the final result. For the wages paid by Sin are death; but God's free gift is the Life of the Ages bestowed upon us in Christ Jesus our Lord.

(1 Jn 2:24-25) .... As for you, let the teaching which you have received from the very beginning continue in your hearts. If that teaching does continue in your hearts, you also will continue to be in union with the Son and with the Father. And this is the promise which He Himself has given us--the Life of the Ages.

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally, I view Heaven as a location and Life Eternal as a state of being or Glorified Body within that location.

Reactions: marks

Tom_in_CA

May 31, 2020
Salinas, CA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
T.O.T., it's a fair question to pose to the theist side, to try to say "you have an internal contradiction on your end". So in that way, you're not having to admit there's a God. You're merely posing the supposed internal contradiction on the OTHER PEOPLE'S side .

But to me, this is a rabbit trail red herring. As valid as the question might be, as an in-house issue for theists to discuss, I don't see how it relates to someone, who simply doesn't even believe that there's anything beyond this life anyhow . Ie.: that we are "meat all the way down" and there's no God, no heaven, no hell, etc..... If all of that is true, then what difference does nuances of the the nature of the places and the persons entering or not entering make ? Since they don't exist in the first place, why the curiosity ?

Or .... maybe .... you're starting to be open to abandon agnosticism ?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Today, I am interested in seeing scriptural evidence that suggests that a heavenly inheritance is promised to all believers.
What sort of inheritance did you have in mind?

Revelation 21:7 "He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son."

Much love!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians, what's Up With Heaven & Hell?
OP ^

Heaven "inheritance" to mankind?
Never heard that.
Don't believe that.

LAND (on the Earth) was a promised inheritance TO Faithful Abraham "and" Abraham's Faithful descendants.

Gods inheritance is Faithful People.

Heaven is Gods Throne.
Bodies of natural Earthly men did not come from Heaven or return/ or go to Heaven.
Souls of men belong to God.
LIFE in a Soul belong to God.
"Saved" Living Souls depart dead bodies, go to Heaven, (temporarily), with God in Comfort, to wait to be United back in their Body, on the day their Body is RISEN in glory, on Earth.

"Unsaved" Living Souls depart dead bodies, go to Hell to wait ( in torments. without God), to be United with their RISEN Corrupt Body...Judged...Sentenced...Life in the Soul Returns To God...Body and Soul destroyed.

And the spirit of man...
Which is a man's Truth in his Heart.
If a man Confesses Belief in The Lord God...His Soul becomes Saved.
If a man Confesses His Heartful Belief In God and Jesus IS the Christ, that man is given a New Heart, Seed of God in his new Heart, and Gods Seed which births that man "a new spirit"...and "new Truth/ Gods Truth" (aka Born Again).

As well, when that man Bodily dies, his spirit departs his dead body and goes to Gods Hand, in Heaven.

Gods Seal is thereafter upon that man Forever. No man can thereafter claim that man; he belongs exclusively and only to the Lord God Almighty.

While currently, bodies of men and God in Heaven have a Physical Barrier of their Estates (Heaven and Earth)...
When All corruption on Earth and in Heaven Is Overcome...
When the whole Earth is Renewed,
When the Heavens are Renewed...
The Barriers ON Earth/ Oceans/Mountains and Sun shall be gone.
The Barrier between Heaven and Earth shall be Opened.

Glory to God,
Taken

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
T.O.T., it's a fair question to pose to the theist side, to try to say "you have an internal contradiction on your end". So in that way, you're not having to admit there's a God. You're merely posing the supposed internal contradiction on the OTHER PEOPLE'S side .
The question is posed in hopes of discovering the source of the disconnect between what is written verses what is promoted. How did one get developed?