Church Bashing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If speaking out in disagreement IS called Bashing, not much of a concern to me.
What I'm calling "bashing" is denigration without specificity.

"Western Christianity is corrupt!" Would be an example of bashing. Commenting on a specific teaching or practice, or a specific church is not what I have in mind.

Much love!

Reactions: Taken

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@David H. , I have some time right now to look. Sometimes the root words have a different direction or leaning that informs. If I don’t find anything there, I still have to wonder why translators used a different word in the same short sentence, to mean the same exact thing, and why it doesn’t fit with all of scripture. I’m not a Greek scholar, bank on that!
Why the translators did what they did, I don't know. But now that you know the word they translated in both instances, what will you do?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Except that that would make the second death a misnomer. :)

Perhaps, if "death" doesn't really mean "death" then it seems possible that we should be careful not to be too ultra-literal in our interpretation of words like "eternal" and "torment."
I prefer to define the words in the Bible not only by their historical use, but also according to their Biblical use. There is death from the human point of view, an end, and death in what it really is, a separation.

The question turns on how we define death.

Much love!

Reactions: BarneyFife

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are told by Paul not only to exhort and encourage one another but to reprove and rebuke one another. We as believers in general need this, and as a body of believers (the church) more so or else the Rot of our sin nature takes over... the folly of pride.

Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.
Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning. (Proverbs 9:8-9)

I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. (2 Timothy 4:1-4)

Without accuracy it's worse than meaningless.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We only have the burden to judge those we have authority over. Why do we take on this burden to judge others? It is the original sin, pride, leading to a God Complex.
There's the heart of the matter.

Someone takes it on themselves to judge others, they put themselves "over" those others. Judging others is typically speaking self-affirmation, showing to one's self they have the "right" to judge.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the word can be also translated more like…to the ages of ages.
What I've learned on this, it's like saying, "to the period of time that encompasses periods of time". It's called the strongest expression of everlasting that Koine Greek has.

Much love!

Reactions: Lambano

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where did Mark go? Does anybody know what this means?

In Adam all die but in Christ they’re made alive?

My main reason to mention that passage is to say the total separation between the two Humanities, their direction and outcomes. Yes, there are some very odd ideas of death and afterlife on this forum!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you.
I’ve seen some interesting opinions here on death and afterlife so I can’t tell when people are quoting scripture or when they’re expressing their opinions.
:)

Keep reading it until you can spot them in a moment!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, I’d like to propose that holding accountable and rebuking someone you have a personal relationship with < publicly denigrating an entire denomination over doctrine.
Here, people prefer to denigrate and "rebuke" people whom they've never even met!

Personal is committed. Someone I know IRL is not at all like someone over the internet. We can pretend whatever we want, and who is the wiser? Talk a good talk, and especially put others down. That seems to be the common calling card. Whether it's this accusations of "Laodicean", or "you're reading it carnally!", or whatever it is, its always the same! Denigration instead of explanation.

Much love!

Reactions: Wrangler

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I've learned on this, it's like saying, "to the period of time that encompasses periods of time". It's called the strongest expression of everlasting that Koine Greek has.

Much love!

Exactly! The period of time that encompasses periods of time will end with eternity.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I prefer to define the words in the Bible not only by their historical use, but also according to their Biblical use. There is death from the human point of view, an end, and death in what it really is, a separation.

The question turns on how we define death.

Much love!
Yeah, the problem is "we" don't define death. Each of us define it for ourselves. The result is pluralism or Babylon (confusion). Some say the Bible defines death as cessation of life, others believe it is some sort of mystical process. No consensus. Meanwhile, new Christians and non-believers think we're just a bunch of amateur pseudo philosophers.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mar 1:24 - Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art, the Holy One of God.

DESTROY them. Destroy means torment forever, right?

It means to bring to complete ruination. Context tells you after that.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are vessel the Holy Spirit uses, that is all... Not by power or by might, but by My Spirit."
If the Spirit is using you, you will be accurate.

And you may fool some, but you will NEVER fool the one of whom you claim to speak by the Spirit, if you are wrong. You only reveal the emptiness of your words.

Much love!