Collosians 1:15-16

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here are other verses deliberately mistranslated in JW's New World Translation:

CHANGING ETERNAL “PUNISHMENT” TO EVERLASTING “CUTTING OFF”

The Greek word kolasis is translated “cutting-off” instead of “punishment” to support the Watchtower’s belief in annihilation and the rejection of an eternal place of torment called “hell.”

CHANGING “I AM” TO “I HAVE BEEN”

The Greek words ego eimi meaning “I am” are mistranslated as “I have been” to obscure the connection between Jesus being the “I Am” Jehovah God of Exodus 3:14.

REMOVING “ME” FROM “ASK ME”

The word “me” is omitted in “ask Me anything” to support the Watchtower claim that Jesus is not worthy to receive prayer.

CHANGING “YOUR THRONE, O GOD” TO “GOD IS YOUR THRONE”

The phrase “Your throne, O God” is replaced with the phrase “God is your throne” to distort the fact that the writer of Hebrews is calling Jesus God by quoting Psalm 45:6 and applying it directly to the Son of God.

• Hebrew 1:8
ADDING “SON” TO “BLOOD OF HIS OWN”

The English word “son” in “blood of his own [son]” is added in brackets without any support in the Greek text. This demonstrates the length that the Watchtower goes to deny that Jesus is the God who shed His own blood for us.

• Acts 20:28
CHANGING “KNOW” TO “TAKING IN KNOWLEDGE”

The Greek word ginoskosin meaning “to know, intimately” is mistranslated as “taking in knowledge of” to support the Watchtower doctrine that accurate knowledge is necessary for eternal life. Changing this translation from “know You” (as all other Bible translations have it) to “taking in knowledge of You” shifts the focus from a personal relationship with God to a mere intellectual study of God to gain eternal life.

• John 17:3
CHANGING “WAS” TO “MEANT”

The Greek phrase, he petra de en ho Kristos meaning “and the rock was Christ” is mistranslated as “and that rock mass meant the Christ.” Again, this shifts the focus from Jesus being the Jehovah God, Rock of Israel (Isaiah 30:29).

• 1 Corinthians 10:4
ADDING “OTHER” TO “ALL THINGS” AND “EVERY NAME”

In the 1984 edition of the New World Translation, the English word “other” is added in brackets to indicate that the word does not occur in the Greek text. The translators of the New World Translation added the word “other” in “gave him the name that is above every [other] name” to support the Watchtower teaching that the name “Jehovah” is superior to the name “Jesus.” However, all editions of the New World Translation prior to 1981 and current editions after 2006 have “other” added without brackets making it seem as if this word is in the original Greek text. Even on page 27 of the February 1, 1992 Watchtower magazine, we again see Philippians 2:9 being quoted without the brackets being used around the word “other.” This again demonstrates the deep-rooted bias of the Watchtower Society against Jesus possessing a name equal and superior to name “Jehovah.”

• Philippians 2:9
Translation bias against the eternal nature of Jesus Christ as Creator God is clearly seen in the New World Translation’s insertion of the word “other” in reference to Jesus’ work in creation. By adding the word “other” to “all things” so that it reads “by means of him all [other] things were made to exist,” the Watchtower is able to justify its claim that Jehovah God created Jesus first and then used Jesus as His creative agent for the rest of creation. However, Scripture proclaims that Jesus is the Creator of “all things,” for He has always existed as the uncreated, “everlasting father” — possessor of eternity (Isaiah 9:6). We again see translation bias against the Deity of Jesus Christ recurring in Watchtower literature on pages 20 and 21 of the February 1, 1992 issue of The Watchtower where the Watchtower’s insertion of “other” in Colossians 1:16 is again quoted without the brackets.

• Colossians 1:16, 17, 20
CHANGING “DEITY” TO “DIVINE QUALITY”

The Greek word theotetos meaning “Godship, Deity, Godhead” is mistranslated as “divine quality” to detract from the full Deity of God being attributed to Christ in this passage.

• Colossians 2:9
CHANGING “GOD AND SAVIOR” TO “GOD AND OF THE SAVIOR OF US”

The Greek phrase theou kai soteros emon meaning “God and Savior of us” or “our God and Savior” is mistranslated as “god and of [the] Savior of us.” This word “the,” being inserted in brackets with no basis in the Greek text is yet another attempt of NWT translators to separate Christ from being God.

• Titus 2:13
CHANGING “SPIRIT” TO “SPIRITUAL LIFE”

The Greek words pneumaton and pneumas meaning “spirits” is mistranslated as “spiritual life” and “spiritual lives” to fit with the Watchtower doctrine that denies the existence of the human “spirit” that lives on past death.

• Hebrews 12:9, 23
FOR MORE INFORMATION SEE

Who Are the Translators of the New World Translation?
“Proskuneo” (Worship) in the New World Translation
(Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry)
What Do Greek Scholars Think About the Jehovah’s Witness Translation of John 1:1? (Let Us Reason Ministries)
Scholars the Watchtower Quotes for the NWT and What They Really Said (apologeticacatolica.org)
Mantey’s Response to the NWT: “A Grossly Misleading Translation” PDF
What Mantey has said about the New World Translation (Julius R. Mantey: Manual Grammar of the Greek New Testament: The Dana-Mantey Greek Grammar)

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
20 other translations in history had-a god, 3 had was divine, i had was godlike-- In 1822, A.Kneeland a Greek scholar translated the NT from the same Greek lexicons all used--He compared Greek to English side by side to prove to the world, a god is correct. All of those translations= rejected by trinity clergy's because that single fact proves they are false religions, as does-a house divided, will not stand.
So do the teachings of Jesus and true God worship history, proves them false religion.
Then JESUS is a false god and you are without hope, still dead in your sins.

OR

You can believe the Holy Scriptures - Isa ch44 & ch45

Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel,
And his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts:
‘I am the First and I am the Last;
Besides Me there is no God.

Revelation ch1
To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, 6and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

7Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen.

8“I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

9I, John, both your brother and companion in the tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called Patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. 10I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet, 11saying, I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last,”

JESUS the man said "My Father is greater then I" because HE emptied Himself and became a man so that HE could die for our sins.

TODAY if you bow the knee and confess in faith that JESUS CHRIST is your LORD and SAVIOR, you will be saved.
Reject this Commandment and the wrath of God remains.

God the Father will not accept you any other way then thru JESUS who is "the Way, the Truth and the Life"

• Love
Reactions: Keturah and rwb

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here are other verses deliberately mistranslated in JW's New World Translation:

CHANGING ETERNAL “PUNISHMENT” TO EVERLASTING “CUTTING OFF”

The Greek word kolasis is translated “cutting-off” instead of “punishment” to support the Watchtower’s belief in annihilation and the rejection of an eternal place of torment called “hell.”

CHANGING “I AM” TO “I HAVE BEEN”

The Greek words ego eimi meaning “I am” are mistranslated as “I have been” to obscure the connection between Jesus being the “I Am” Jehovah God of Exodus 3:14.

REMOVING “ME” FROM “ASK ME”

The word “me” is omitted in “ask Me anything” to support the Watchtower claim that Jesus is not worthy to receive prayer.

CHANGING “YOUR THRONE, O GOD” TO “GOD IS YOUR THRONE”

The phrase “Your throne, O God” is replaced with the phrase “God is your throne” to distort the fact that the writer of Hebrews is calling Jesus God by quoting Psalm 45:6 and applying it directly to the Son of God.

• Hebrew 1:8
ADDING “SON” TO “BLOOD OF HIS OWN”

The English word “son” in “blood of his own [son]” is added in brackets without any support in the Greek text. This demonstrates the length that the Watchtower goes to deny that Jesus is the God who shed His own blood for us.

• Acts 20:28
CHANGING “KNOW” TO “TAKING IN KNOWLEDGE”

The Greek word ginoskosin meaning “to know, intimately” is mistranslated as “taking in knowledge of” to support the Watchtower doctrine that accurate knowledge is necessary for eternal life. Changing this translation from “know You” (as all other Bible translations have it) to “taking in knowledge of You” shifts the focus from a personal relationship with God to a mere intellectual study of God to gain eternal life.

• John 17:3
CHANGING “WAS” TO “MEANT”

The Greek phrase, he petra de en ho Kristos meaning “and the rock was Christ” is mistranslated as “and that rock mass meant the Christ.” Again, this shifts the focus from Jesus being the Jehovah God, Rock of Israel (Isaiah 30:29).

• 1 Corinthians 10:4
ADDING “OTHER” TO “ALL THINGS” AND “EVERY NAME”

In the 1984 edition of the New World Translation, the English word “other” is added in brackets to indicate that the word does not occur in the Greek text. The translators of the New World Translation added the word “other” in “gave him the name that is above every [other] name” to support the Watchtower teaching that the name “Jehovah” is superior to the name “Jesus.” However, all editions of the New World Translation prior to 1981 and current editions after 2006 have “other” added without brackets making it seem as if this word is in the original Greek text. Even on page 27 of the February 1, 1992 Watchtower magazine, we again see Philippians 2:9 being quoted without the brackets being used around the word “other.” This again demonstrates the deep-rooted bias of the Watchtower Society against Jesus possessing a name equal and superior to name “Jehovah.”

• Philippians 2:9
Translation bias against the eternal nature of Jesus Christ as Creator God is clearly seen in the New World Translation’s insertion of the word “other” in reference to Jesus’ work in creation. By adding the word “other” to “all things” so that it reads “by means of him all [other] things were made to exist,” the Watchtower is able to justify its claim that Jehovah God created Jesus first and then used Jesus as His creative agent for the rest of creation. However, Scripture proclaims that Jesus is the Creator of “all things,” for He has always existed as the uncreated, “everlasting father” — possessor of eternity (Isaiah 9:6). We again see translation bias against the Deity of Jesus Christ recurring in Watchtower literature on pages 20 and 21 of the February 1, 1992 issue of The Watchtower where the Watchtower’s insertion of “other” in Colossians 1:16 is again quoted without the brackets.

• Colossians 1:16, 17, 20
CHANGING “DEITY” TO “DIVINE QUALITY”

The Greek word theotetos meaning “Godship, Deity, Godhead” is mistranslated as “divine quality” to detract from the full Deity of God being attributed to Christ in this passage.

• Colossians 2:9
CHANGING “GOD AND SAVIOR” TO “GOD AND OF THE SAVIOR OF US”

The Greek phrase theou kai soteros emon meaning “God and Savior of us” or “our God and Savior” is mistranslated as “god and of [the] Savior of us.” This word “the,” being inserted in brackets with no basis in the Greek text is yet another attempt of NWT translators to separate Christ from being God.

• Titus 2:13
CHANGING “SPIRIT” TO “SPIRITUAL LIFE”

The Greek words pneumaton and pneumas meaning “spirits” is mistranslated as “spiritual life” and “spiritual lives” to fit with the Watchtower doctrine that denies the existence of the human “spirit” that lives on past death.

• Hebrews 12:9, 23
FOR MORE INFORMATION SEE

Who Are the Translators of the New World Translation?
“Proskuneo” (Worship) in the New World Translation
(Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry)
What Do Greek Scholars Think About the Jehovah’s Witness Translation of John 1:1? (Let Us Reason Ministries)
Scholars the Watchtower Quotes for the NWT and What They Really Said (apologeticacatolica.org)
Mantey’s Response to the NWT: “A Grossly Misleading Translation” PDF
What Mantey has said about the New World Translation (Julius R. Mantey: Manual Grammar of the Greek New Testament: The Dana-Mantey Greek Grammar)
Awesome - Thank You

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
THE WORD WAS GOD OR THE WORD WAS A GOD

The Greek words kai theos en ho logos are mistranslated as “the Word was a god,” instead of “the Word was God.” This is a distortion of the text as the word “a” is not in the Greek, but was added by the New World Translators to make the Word (Jesus) “a” second “god” who is separate from God the Father.

The true God is called HoTheos, the word is called plain theos at John 1:1 to show a clear difference. Iknow a isnt in the Greek written language, one had to know where it went, Same with commas like the comma error found in trinity translation as follows
Truly i tell you, today you will be with me in paradise= error
Truly i tell you today, you will be with me in paradise.---Jesus was in Hades(grave)for 3 days, not in paradise on that first day as the comma error shows he would have been. And then one would have to teach that paradise was in Hades( grave) = that's insane. Hades(grave)will be thrown into the lake of fire and destroyed forever, that isn't paradises end. Paradise will be the new earth= Gods tent covering over mankind as a total protection forever, earth transformed into an Eden( paradise)

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You believe 1 single passage over Jesus and his real teachers-John 20:17, Rev 3:12-Coll 1:3, 2 Cor 1:3, Eph 1:3-1Pet 1:3-- Thomas was confused.
Then why didn't Jesus SEVERELY rebuke Thomas for calling Him His God? Jesus would certainly have rebuked His own student!
But its fact, the Israelites knew Jesus has a God like us- Psalm 45:7--and would NEVER call him God. Nor give worship to one who has a God--there is only 1 God. YHWH(Jehovah) and every Israelite knew it and knows it.
Why can't the Father be Jesus' God? Oh that's right, Kingdom Hall told you.

John 14
7 "If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him." 8 Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us." 9 Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

Do you believe everything Kingdom Hall says? Now watch Keiw evade my simple question! That's what JW's nearly always do.

Last edited:

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Awesome - Thank You
You will find out its the opposite. The religion that came out of Rome altered Gods word to fit false council teachings, councils headed by a pagan false god worshipping king.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then why didn't Jesus SEVERELY rebuke Thomas for call Him His God? Jesus would certainly have rebuked His own student!

Why can't the Father be Jesus' God? Oh that's right, Kingdom Hall told you.

John 14
7 "If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him." 8 Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us." 9 Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

Do you believe everything Kingdom Hall says? Now watch Keiw evade my simple question! That's what JW's nearly always do.
I believe Thomas looked to heaven when he said my God.
Luke 10:16-- He that listens to you( Jesus' appointed teachers) listens to me, and he that disregards you disregards me , moreover he that disregards me disregards him that sent me forth( God)-- So its a very unwise place for a domestic to think they know better than Jesus appointed teachers--EVER.
Jesus is Gods image( Coll 1:15)-- that is how they can the Father in him.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You will find out its the opposite. The religion that came out of Rome altered Gods word to fit false council teachings, councils headed by a pagan false god worshipping king.
RCC is a false religion.

RCC did not write Genesis, or the OT writings.

RCC did not write the Gospels or the Apostles letters.

Genesis is the Foundation of all Scripture. In it contains the Gospel and the Only Triune Elohim

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Such irony. Kingdom Hall twists nearly ever verse in the Bible to change the clear meaning.

Reactions: rwb

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe Thomas looked to heaven when he said my God.
Luke 10:16-- He that listens to you( Jesus' appointed teachers) listens to me, and he that disregards you disregards me , moreover he that disregards me disregards him that sent me forth( God)-- So its a very unwise place for a domestic to think they know better than Jesus appointed teachers--EVER.
Jesus is Gods image( Coll 1:15)-- that is how they can the Father in him.
How utterly ridiculous! Thomas was speaking directly to Jesus. Kingdom Hall never ceases to TWIST our Bible to change the meaning! How many years did you say you were brainwashed at Kingdom Hall?

John 20
28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"

Last edited:

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The true God is called HoTheos, the word is called plain theos at John 1:1 to show a clear difference. Iknow a isnt in the Greek written language, one had to know where it went, Same with commas like the comma error found in trinity translation as follows
Truly i tell you, today you will be with me in paradise= error
Truly i tell you today, you will be with me in paradise.---Jesus was in Hades(grave)for 3 days, not in paradise on that first day as the comma error shows he would have been. And then one would have to teach that paradise was in Hades( grave) = that's insane. Hades(grave)will be thrown into the lake of fire and destroyed forever, that isn't paradises end. Paradise will be the new earth= Gods tent covering over mankind as a total protection forever, earth transformed into an Eden( paradise)

Where was the spirit that gave Christ physical life after His body died? It was the physical body of Christ that went into the grave, not His spirit. Since His spirit was filled with the Holy Spirit, His spirit ascended up to God in heaven from which it came. Therefore Christ continued to have spiritual life, and in fact became a living (spirit) soul through the Holy Spirit after His body had breathed its last.

Luke 23:46 (KJV) And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 (KJV) Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Reactions: Keturah

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is Omniscient, Omnipotent, and Omnipresent. He has no beginning or end.
Sure He is, absolutely. But what you say here is actually a contradiction of your statement that God's foreknowledge is His knowing it all before it happens. What you're doing with the latter is, you're actually ~ presumably inadvertently ~ putting God inside time. And like I said regarding God's foreknowledge, if we say it is merely advance cognitive knowledge, in that sense God foreknows everyone and everything. But when Paul says "those whom He foreknew" in Romans 8:29, he's quite obviously saying God foreknew only some or many, but not all.

...God knew you would be here today...
Okay, sure. He's the great I AM. Folks like to say He is present in the eternal now. That's a difficult thing for us human beings to wrap our heads around, for sure, but we can understand it at least in a limited sense and accept it.

...He didn't cause it...
Not directly, no... :) But with regard to His salvation... :) No good Calvinist would argue ~ nor did Calvin himself ~ that God causes people to do what they do in a wooden sense.

But, with regard to His salvation, as both Moses and Paul say ~ actually God Himself; Moses quotes God ~ He has mercy on whom He will have mercy, compassion on whom He will have compassion. So, again, regarding God's salvation, it ~ His election ~ depends on God, and not on man's willing or working. Paul is not denying man's willing and working at all, but saying that his willing and working is a result of ~ not the cause of ~ God's election and calling.

Now, with regard to good works, a good place to look here is Philippians 2 (not written by John Calvin :)), where Paul writes, "...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure" (Philippians 2:12-13). Here again, we are the ones who do the willing and working, but because God is at work in us. And that is not to say "God makes us do what we do," but rather to say that His work in our hearts, by His Spirit is what we have to attribute our wills and actions to. And in this way, it is thereby fitting with John's great statement that "(w)e love because He first loved us" (1 John 4:19).

And regarding both, here again is what God says through Ezekiel, and it applies to all of us in Christ:

"I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in My statutes and be careful to obey My rules." (Ezekiel 36:26-27)

It is what it is.

Grace and peace to you, Behold.

Reactions: rwb and David in NJ

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you’re referring to the Catholic Church – it didn’t come out of Rome - and it never “altered” God’s Word.

Am angry and ignorant charge from an angry and ignorant anti-Catholic . . .

RCC is a false religion.

Genesis is the Foundation of all Scripture. In it contains the Gospel and the Only Triune Elohim
This “RCC”whatever that is – didn’t write the Gospels or Apostolic Letters.
The Catholic Church did.

The Catholic Church also compiled the Books of the Bible and declared the Canon of Scripture in 383AD at the Synod of Rome.

• Wow
Reactions: David in NJ

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you’re referring to the Catholic Church – it didn’t come out of Rome - and it never “altered” God’s Word.

The Catholic Church did.

The Catholic Church also compiled the Books of the Bible and declared the Canon of Scripture in 383AD at the Synod of Rome.
You can plead your case of Roman catholicism when you stand before God.

The only SAFE PLACE is in the LORD Jesus Christ - all other ground is sinking sand.........

Reactions: rwb and Keturah

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
RCC is a false religion.

Only rcc translating remained in the 1300,s of the NT when others translated.
Israel NEVER served a trinity God while serving the true God= 100% fact of life.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Such irony. Kingdom Hall twists nearly ever verse in the Bible to change the clear meaning.
Like this you mean where Paul an appointee by Jesus himself, warns all about their false gods then names only the Father as God-1 Cor 8:5-6--- Same as Jesus telling everyone the one who sent him( Father) is THE ONLY TRUE GOD-- Simple english 10 year olds can understand, but not the blind guides.( 1 Cor 11:12-15) or those who listen to them.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How utterly ridiculous! Thomas was speaking directly to Jesus. Kingdom Hall never ceases to TWIST our Bible to change the meaning! How many years did you say you were brainwashed at Kingdom Hall?

John 20
28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"
If Thomas is correct in your thinking, that would make Jesus a liar-He clearly teaches all-The one who sent him( Father is THE ONLY TRUE GOD-John 17:3--so either Jesus is wrong or you are.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where was the spirit that gave Christ physical life after His body died? It was the physical body of Christ that went into the grave, not His spirit. Since His spirit was filled with the Holy Spirit, His spirit ascended up to God in heaven from which it came. Therefore Christ continued to have spiritual life, and in fact became a living (spirit) soul through the Holy Spirit after His body had breathed its last.

Luke 23:46 (KJV) And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 (KJV) Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
That spirit refers to all that makes one who they are, not a ghost being inside of one. When Lazarus rose from the dead, Jesus said he was sleeping in death. Those asleep are not aware of anything. In Psalm it says--All thought stops on the day of ones death. Psalm 146:4

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Catholic Church did.

God wrote his bible.
There are many teachings proving catholicism false religion in their own translating. Its why the protestants ran away from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.