Colossians 1:24

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Boston

Oct 18, 2009
What is the meaning of this verse?Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body, which is the church, in filling up what is lacking in Christ's afflictions. Colossians 1:24. I have some thoughts on this verse, but I am curious what everyone thinks. This is one of those verses I have read over, time and time again, until one day, I took some time to consider it. So, I am interested in hearing some thoughts on it, anyone?

E

Elaine

Just saw this ---boy, I would like to hear your insight - I don't have a clue. :)

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What it doesn't mean: Christ's work of atonement was insufficient and incomplete. What it does mean: Just as Christ's suffering brought great benefits for those who are in him, so Christ's ministers likewise suffer in the building up of Christ's body.Col 1:28 Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ. Col 1:29 For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me.
Not that the afflictions of Paul, or any other, were expiations for sin, as the sufferings of Christ were. There was nothing wanting in them, nothing which needed to be filled up. They were perfectly sufficient to answer the intention of them, the satisfaction of God's justice, in order to the salvation of his people. But the sufferings of Paul and other good ministers made them conformable to Christ; and they followed him in his suffering state: so they are said to fill up what was behind of the sufferings of Christ, as the wax fills up the vacuities of the seal, when it receives the impression of it. -Matthew Henry

Benoni

Aug 16, 2009
Western NY
It could have taken the Children of Israel nine day sto cross the wilderness, but no God had a better plan…

Why?

To humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments

Deuteronomy 8:2
And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.
Again we see this in the NT.

1 Peter 4: 12Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: 13But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Boston said:
What is the meaning of this verse?

Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body, which is the church, in filling up what is lacking in Christ's afflictions. Colossians 1:24.

I have some thoughts on this verse, but I am curious what everyone thinks. This is one of those verses I have read over, time and time again, until one day, I took some time to consider it.

So, I am interested in hearing some thoughts on it, anyone?

Paul is speaking

Colossians 1:23 "If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven, whereof I Paul am made a minister;"
Colossians 1:24 "Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for His body's sake, which is the church."

Paul was beaten, stoned, whipped many times and even brought to the point of death for the sake of preaching of the gospel. Paul is stating that he is taking those beatings joyfully for it is for the sake of the body of Christ, and the saving of souls.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

rob

Sep 2, 2009
The afflictions of Christ are of two categories: those for accomplishing redemption, which were completed by Christ Himself, and those for producing and building the church, which need to be filled up by the apostles and the believers. In verse 25 it is interesting to note that referring to the church in the preceding verse, Paul became a minister not of a certain teaching, preaching, or mission work but of the church, the Body fo Christ, for its building up.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Paul is speaking

Colossians 1:23 "If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven, whereof I Paul am made a minister;"
Colossians 1:24 "Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for His body's sake, which is the church."

Paul was beaten, stoned, whipped many times and even brought to the point of death for the sake of preaching of the gospel. Paul is stating that he is taking those beatings joyfully for it is for the sake of the body of Christ, and the saving of souls.

I like to include verses 19, 20, 21 and 22 with the others.

For God in all his fullness was pleased to live in Christ, and by him God reconciled everything to himself. He made peace with everything in heaven and on earth by means of his blood on the cross. This includes you who were once so far away from God. You were his enemies, separated from him by your evil thoughts and actions, yet now he has brought you back as his friends. He has done this through his death on the cross in his own human body. As a result, he has brought you into the very presence of God, and you are holy and blameless as you stand before him without a single fault. Col.1:19-22

But you must continue to believe this truth and stand in it firmly. Don't drift away from the assurance you received when you heard the Good News. The Good News has been preached all over the world, and I, Paul, have been appointed by God to proclaim it.I am glad when I suffer for you in my body, for I am completing what remains of Christ's sufferings for his body, the church. God has given me the responsibility of serving his church by proclaiming his message in all its fullness to you Gentiles. Col.1:23-25

gumby

May 29, 2009
Let me explain it to you this way. The scriptures say that if we suffer with christ than we shall be glorified with christ, in other words if we endure in suffering we will reign with christ. Romans 8:17, 2nd Corinthians 1:5, 2nd Corinthians 1:7, 2nd Timothy 2:12 and 1st Peter 4:13.

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions please feel free to ask :)

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
What is the meaning of this verse?Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body, which is the church, in filling up what is lacking in Christ's afflictions. Colossians 1:24. I have some thoughts on this verse, but I am curious what everyone thinks. This is one of those verses I have read over, time and time again, until one day, I took some time to consider it. So, I am interested in hearing some thoughts on it, anyone?

I have some understanding of it, but not enough to risk any negativity here. Send me a message if you care to know my thoughts .
fivesense

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Colossians 1:23-27 (KJV) If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister; Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for His body's sake, which is the church: Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to His saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

Paul, a type for all saints/ministers, will also suffer for the body of Christ, believers....at times will suffer from the believers themselves. It is part and parcel of being one of His saints.