• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are instructing 25 million Christians how and why they ought to observe Sabbath?

Cool, thank you. Do we have your permission to worship on other days as well?

We're determining what's *biblical." If a billion people want to follow Mohammad, I'm still only concerned about what Paul taught.

It is true that in matters of morality and attitudinal behavior toward God and neighbor, the NT teaches that the law is fulfilled by love. A love that can come only through one person... Jesus. You have that right. The Sabbath however isn't a matter of morals. It isn't a Commandment that any community would invent or create or establish in order to operate a just and fair society. Such a Commandment comes only by Divine Revelation and authority.

You're distinguishing between general morality and covenant law. The Covenant of Law involved both, but it was all contained within a particular covenant, and were both equally required. The commandment to treat foreigners fairly was just as required as Sabbath Law observance. To distinguish between genders was just as important as offering sin offerings.

And yet, under covenant law, morality and attitude cannot be separated from the requirement to perform rituals and observances. Within the nation of Israel how can a Jew say that observing Sabbath is not a moral issue, is not a matter of love? If one refuses to obey any requirement under the Law, ritual or not, one is discarding love for God and is choosing to be immoral.

It isn't something that comes through a regenerated heart. The Sabbath doesn't belong to the Jews. It didn't belong to Seventh Day Adventists. Nor Seventh Day Baptists. It behind to God. It is His day... The Lord's day.

You're using a semantics that only confuses the issue. Of course the Sabbath was "God's day." And yet, in another sense, it was made not for God but for Man, because God had no need to rest--He only needed to rest from corrupt human works.

Man, being a sinner, had the need to put his corrupt works aside for one day each week to show that their religious observances could never be perfect until Christ cleansed them. Every week was a testimony to the fact Israel's work never achieved lasting rest. It was a repetitive observance to show that rest is never fully achieved apart from the work of Christ.

Jesus Himself established it at creation... The seventh day. It was Jesus who placed a blessing on that day... At creation. It was Jesus who set aside that seventh day and made it holy... At creation. Hence why Jesus told His listeners that He was the Lord of the Sabbath day. He became the Lord of that day at creation. It was then, at creation, the Sabbath became the Lord's day. 1500-2000 years before there was ever a Jew or a written law.

Jesus was saying he's Lord of the Sabbath to show that he was not himself under the Law. He presided over a Law that was given to sinful men in order to govern them. He was not as such governed by a Law he had made for them! He did not have to observe Sabbath law at all. He only did so to condescend to those who did not yet understand this.

It was the same thing with his Water Baptism. He did not need to be water baptized. But he did so to show his willingness to obey his Father even in things he did not need to do to cleanse himself. He had no sin, and thus did not need to be baptized. He only needed to do it because in doing it he was obedient to his Father, setting an example for Israel.

There is no record, anywhere in scripture, either old testament or new, of Jesus removing the blessing of the sanctity from the seventh day. It was a holy day all the time from Adam to Moses. When the Commandment came, Jesus included in that law a reminder that Israel keep it holy. In other words, don't remove the holiness from My day.
That still stands.
Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.

Paul in the NT took great pains to explain that nobody is under a Law that was cancelled due to the failure of Israel, God's covenant people. The Sabbath Day is thus *no longer holy.*

The Sabbath Day observance is related to the Law, and is not the same thing as God's sacred rest after His work of Creation. Sabbath Day observance was created in the fashion of God's 7th Day rest after Creation, as a reminder to Israel of Man's purpose to be like God in Creation. But Israel was not like God, and had to rest to show their dependence on God's mercy.

It is still a holy day unless man profanes it by removing the holiness from it. Which is what Christians advocate by honoring another day, or not honoring any day: they profane God's day. A day which ought to be kept holy seeing Jesus still hasn't removed the blessing and the sanctity from that seventh day.
KJV Isaiah 58:13-14
13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

You're quoting OT Law, which has been supplanted by the New Covenant of Christ. We follow Christ--not the Law of Israel.

The Sabbath is still a holy day. It hasn't changed. What we do with it is more than a doctrinal debate. It's a matter of us recognizing authority. And obeying that authority.

The weekly seventh holy day of the Lord remains holy throughout the old and the new. Calvary make no impact whatsoever on the sanctity of the Sabbath day. Calvary did however have an impact on the message of good news that Israel sought to covet exclusively for themselves. It took the gospel worldwide... And a knowledge of God's holy day with it. Hence why in dozens of languages through out the world, the seventh day is known as "Sabbath".

So you think God extended the Law to Gentile Christians, instead of reserving it only for Israel? That isn't NT teaching. Sorry.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not much of an answer--"A lot." You couldn't know much about Adventism or you'd be an Adventist. lol

I was converted from Southern Baptist at the age of 26. So I was not predisposed. I embraced Adventism with full self-volition and cognizance of what I was doing. It was like awakening from sleep for me. The book "National Sunday Law" by Jan Marcussen was what closed the deal for me. I don't think I really knew Jesus until 12 years later. Not very commendable, but fairly common, I've found. I've heard pastors say they weren't truly born again until they'd been in the ministry for years. Adventism comes in a quite neatly-wrapped package. And there is enough to occupy the mind that sometimes the heart lags behind. But God is patient. Oh, so patient.

I think I'm still going through stages of faith. Jon Paulien has a very interesting article about this. There's not really much that's particularly Adventist (Sabbath, etc.) about it. :)

Online Text:
Stages of Faith - Jon Paulien Ph.D.

PDF:
http://www.thebattleofarmageddon.com/stages_of_faith.pdf

Audio here:
https://oneclimbs.com/2015/08/13/audio-stages-of-faith-with-jon-paulien/

By the way, I'm sorry for being so disagreeable. I haven't been myself lately (or maybe I have, depending on how you look at it). In any case, no excuses. :)
Lots of babies sitting in the pews or standing behind the pulpits, still babbling although they may have learned to walk years ago. What does that mean? Help us dear Lord!

Reactions: mjrhealth

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
There are some who come into this forum with a root of bitterness, and you seem to be one of them. I don't hate you for it, as you seem to have hate for me. Rather, I encourage you to give your entire life up for Christ, so that he can replace your anger with his love.

I don't hate you; I hate sentimentality sold for Gospel Truth of the Scriptures (Old, and, New Testament).

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Man, being a sinner, had the need to put his corrupt works aside for one day each week to show that their religious observances could never be perfect until Christ cleansed them. Every week was a testimony to the fact Israel's work never achieved lasting rest. It was a repetitive observance to show that rest is never fully achieved apart from the work of Christ.

Simply the old synergistic bath-tub religion

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't hate you; I hate sentimentality sold for Gospel Truth of the Scriptures (Old, and, New Testament).

No, your hatred is palpable, and you can't cover it up with cold reason. You need a spiritual renewal, brother, if you even know what that is? Most of your remarks are quips, designed to extend friction--not resolve differences or explain differences.

I know the difference between someone who is congenial and someone who is purely hostile. You are the latter. If you don't want to be viewed that way, or even disagree with me, please prove it by using a better tone. Snarkiness betrays a bad spirit.

Reactions: mailmandan

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
No, your hatred is palpable, and you can't cover it up with cold reason. You need a spiritual renewal, brother, if you even know what that is? Most of your remarks are quips, designed to extend friction--not resolve differences or explain differences.

I know the difference between someone who is congenial and someone who is purely hostile. You are the latter. If you don't want to be viewed that way, or even disagree with me, please prove it by using a better tone. Snarkiness betrays a bad spirit.

That's the difference between you and me -- <<prove it -disagree with you- by using a better tone>>. First I don't know what it is to <prove disagree by using a better tone>.
Next, I am a bad spirit; cannot help it; you cannot make me a good spirit. That's why I oppose you and try my best to expose kindred spirits.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's the difference between you and me -- <<prove it -disagree with you- by using a better tone>>. First I don't know what it is to <prove disagree by using a better tone>.
Next, I am a bad spirit; cannot help it; you cannot make me a good spirit. That's why I oppose you and try my best to expose kindred spirits.

If you're a "bad spirit," why are you here on a Christian forum?

Reactions: mailmandan

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Isn't that what non Sabbath observers base their stand on... The silence of Commandment in the NT for Sabbath?

The Sabbath the Lord's Day (as you have elsewhere stated yourself) was the 'normal thing' during the apostolic era, the taken for granted, the lived as the vogue, the 'in thing' -- from there the at FIRST GLANCE possible <<silence of Commandment in the NT for Sabbath>>. So <<non Sabbath observers>> have NOTHING they may <<base their stand on>> HAD THEY NOT SUCCEEDED IN STEALING THE BASES ON WHICH the New Testament SCRIPTURES base it's Sabbath on, namely the EVENT OF THE RESURRECTION OF CHRIST FROM THE DEAD ON IT. (Never forget the whole Scripture is "resurrection FROM THE DEAD" which is a rear-mirror or view on the history of the making of the Sabbath Day of God, the coming up out of the Red Sea of the People of God ON IT.)

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

What is the Sabbath day?

What is the purpose of keeping the Sabbath day holy that God commanded it?

Why is it that the keeping of it is by way of having no work?

What does it mean by “the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God“?

What does Sabbath mean?

Mark 2:27 And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. 28 Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”

What did Jesus meant when He said it “the Sabbath was made for man”?

What did Jesus meant when He said “ and not man for the Sabbath”?

What did Jesus meant when He said “Therefore the son of man is also the lord of the Sabbath”? What did He say “Therefore” and “also”?

Perhaps those here could address the questions like @BarnyFife, @Backlit, @GerhardEbersoehn, the SDAs et al., anyone on the know.

Tong
R1609

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
BarneyF said and I quote

God ceased from His physical work of creation on the seventh day,...

Physical work? Did God physically work in creating all creation?

Tong
R1610

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

What is the Sabbath day?

What is the purpose of keeping the Sabbath day holy that God commanded it?

Why is it that the keeping of it is by way of having no work?

What does it mean by “the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God“?

What does Sabbath mean?

Mark 2:27 And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. 28 Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”

What did Jesus meant when He said it “the Sabbath was made for man”?

What did Jesus meant when He said “ and not man for the Sabbath”?

What did Jesus meant when He said “Therefore the son of man is also the lord of the Sabbath”? What did He say “Therefore” and “also”?

Perhaps those here could address the questions like @BarnyFife, @Backlit, @GerhardEbersoehn, the SDAs et al., anyone on the know.

Tong
R1609

No, not GerhardEbersoehn[/USER]--not I. Sorry but I don't care to be burdened with another's problems. All I know is God gave me faith in His Word.