• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God hates religion.
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. (James 1:27)

religion
θρησκεία (thrēskeia)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's Greek 2356: From a derivative of threskos; ceremonial observance.

It would be good if Christians avoided making sweeping statements that just aren't true. :)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Question: "Some people I know tell me that the Ten Commandments are part of the law and do not apply to us today. They say that as Christians we are free from the law. Is that right?"

Answer: "No, it is not right. And I hope you'll not be misled by these false opinions. It is very important to understand what the New Testament means when it says that Christians are free from the law. It certainly does not mean that they're free from the obligations of the moral law of God and are at liberty to sin."

Noted world evangelist, Billy Graham, taken from his MY ANSWER column in the newspaper

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just making sense of Isaiah 1:11-15
Not only that, but the Jewish praxis is very similar to other ancient cultures. The difference, I presume, is that God redeemed it to serve his holy purpose. This is similar to what he did with the city. Bear in mind, the concept of a city was Cain's idea and has always been a place where bad things happen. But in the end, God will redeem the city and make it something wonderful. See "The Meaning of the City" by Jacques Ellul for instance.

Isa 1 is not difficult. It is God, acting the part of a man irate over meaningless gifts passed to him, to cover up insincerity and back-stabbing. "I hate your feasts." In other words, I hate the pretense of religious worship, the feigned love for Me, when really you haven't changed. You haven't given up your own independent ways of sin to live for me, in true love and righteousness.

God wasn't saying He hates formal religion and ritual. He was saying He hates *dead religion,* or *false religion.* It was expressed like an exasperated man who says to his faithless wife, "I can't stand you any more!" But in reality, the man loves his wife and longs for her to return to her 1st love.

At some point God actually does fall out of love with many of the Israelis, and casts them away forever, because they have no thought of returning. They've made their decision, and so they're banished. This is all that's being said. We shouldn't read more into it than is intended by the context.

There is no real antagonism being expressed here for the Law. The Law was precious both to God and to the worshipers of God because it was the means of reconciliation, and the means of pleasing God. It was the basis for a temporary covenant relationship that existed in the hope of a better, eternal one.

That's why the longest Psalm of the Bible is dedicated to expressing love for the Law in a multitude of ways. Psalm 119. To understand the heart of God is to hear Jesus say, with emotion: "those who do these requirements the least shall be least in the Kingdom of heaven." If Israel wanted to please God under the Old Covenant, it was by loving the Law.

Today, we express the same kind of devotion in embracing the Kingdom of God alone, and its righteousness. If we do, then "all these things shall be added to you."

The Apostle John, in 1 John, expressed the importance of not just saying you love God, but by expressing these sentiments by obeying Christ's commandments, and by devoting ourselves to be like him. Loving the Law in the OT is loving God's word just as it is in the NT. It is all about loving God's word to us in whatever time we find ourselves. It isn't, of course, just a ritual, or a catelogue of rules. Much more than that, it is God speaking to our conscience.

If God so spoke to Israel, verbally, in the OT to Israel to keep rituals, this was just as important as following God's word to our conscience today. Anyway, this is how I think about it. Just wanted to share that.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
What did Jesus meant when He said “Therefore the son of man is also the lord of the Sabbath”? What did He say “Therefore” and “also”?

17 They that are sick have need of the physician: I came not to call sinners to repentance -- not the righteous. .. Therefore the son of man is also the lord of the Sabbath

It is a sick story the Sabbath was made <before the fall>! It "was made", FOR the fall!
God made the Sabbath and Jesus "also" came as the Son of Man,
BOTH THINGS, nay three,

upload_2021-1-30_8-10-36.png

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
And even after it ceased being in effect, he would've liked Paul and other believing Jews to show respect in the Jewish culture by observing the Sabbath. It was a way of becoming like them to win them. It removed an issue of contention so that the Gospel message can be heard apart from contensions over "days."

There is not a single case of <<contensions over "days">> in the New Testament, or, for that matter, in the entire Bible, <<contensions over "days">> is the fiction RandyKluths.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
"honoring the Sabbath Day" was given for sinners. It represents God's need for rest from seeing the works of sinners for a time.

So, if you want to transgress, being a sinner, sin on the Sabbath -- God ceases <<from seeing the works of sinners for a time>>-- the Sabbath is your chance!

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. (James 1:27)

religion
θρησκεία (thrēskeia)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's Greek 2356: From a derivative of threskos; ceremonial observance.

It would be good if Christians avoided making sweeping statements that just aren't true.

Excellent! Praise God ,,, brother!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Isa 1 is not difficult. It is God, acting the part of a man irate over meaningless gifts passed to him, to cover up insincerity and back-stabbing. "I hate your feasts." In other words, I hate the pretense of religious worship, the feigned love for Me, when really you haven't changed. You haven't given up your own independent ways of sin to live for me, in true love and righteousness.

I like this! "I hate YOUR feasts." In other words, I hate YOUR pretence of religious worship, YOUR feigned love for Me, when really YOU whoever, Israelite or Christian, haven't changed.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And even after it ceased being in effect, he would've liked Paul and other believing Jews to show respect in the Jewish culture by observing the Sabbath. It was a way of becoming like them to win them. It removed an issue of contention so that the Gospel message can be heard apart from contensions over "days."
And yet not one word of contention. It was customary to hold prayer meetings, public meetings, and to preach, upon that day. (Acts 16:13; Acts 17:1,2). The book of Acts details no less than 84 distinct meetings being held on the Sabbath (See Acts 13:14, 42,44,; 16:13; 17:1,2; 18:4) The fact is that there was never any dispute between Chrstians and the Jews about the Sabbath day. In all their accusations against Paul, not once was the Sabbath ever mentioned. IT is your personal opinion that Paul was only going to the Jewish meetings for the purpose of using guile in order to convert Jews, the inference being that the next day, Paul met with his fellow Christians for worship....yet not one single meeting is recorded for the first day of the week, Sunday, other than a meeting which was held on what we would call Saturday night, with Paul preaching all night before leaving in the morning on a journey. (Which of itself would have raised the ire of the Jews if done on the Sabbath, yet here Paul is doing it on Sunday...so much for the observance of the so called "Lord's Day". And even more importantly, Paul declared in front of the Festus and the Jewish hierarchy, that "neither against the law of the Jews, neither against the temple, nor yet against Caesar, have I offended anything at all...to the Jews I have done no wrong, as well you know". Acts 25:8,10)
The Sabbath is mentioned in the NT 59 times, and not once in any context of it being no longer relevant to Christian faith and practice.

Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Question. Please return an honest answer.
If we Sabbath keepers taught that Christians ought not be in adulterous relationships, that Christians would be offending God and man if they helped themselves to their neighbor's vegetable patch, that Christians would do well to refrain from cursing and abusing those they didn't like, or even that Christians ought to refuse to dishonor their parents, would we be met with disagreement or be admonished that such laws and ideas are not applicable to Christians?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

God wasn't saying He hates formal religion and ritual. He was saying He hates *dead religion,* or *false religion.* It was expressed like an exasperated man who says to his faithless wife, "I can't stand you any more!" But in reality, the man loves his wife and longs for her to return to her 1st love.

At some point God actually does fall out of love with many of the Israelis, and casts them away forever, because they have no thought of returning. They've made their decision, and so they're banished. This is all that's being said. We shouldn't read more into it than is intended by the context.

There is no real antagonism being expressed here for the Law. The Law was precious both to God and to the worshipers of God because it was the means of reconciliation, and the means of pleasing God. It was the basis for a temporary covenant relationship that existed in the hope of a better, eternal one.

That's why the longest Psalm of the Bible is dedicated to expressing love for the Law in a multitude of ways. Psalm 119. To understand the heart of God is to hear Jesus say, with emotion: "those who do these requirements the least shall be least in the Kingdom of heaven." If Israel wanted to please God under the Old Covenant, it was by loving the Law.

Today, we express the same kind of devotion in embracing the Kingdom of God alone, and its righteousness. If we do, then "all these things shall be added to you."

The Apostle John, in 1 John, expressed the importance of not just saying you love God, but by expressing these sentiments by obeying Christ's commandments, and by devoting ourselves to be like him. Loving the Law in the OT is loving God's word just as it is in the NT. It is all about loving God's word to us in whatever time we find ourselves. It isn't, of course, just a ritual, or a catelogue of rules. Much more than that, it is God speaking to our conscience.

If God so spoke to Israel, verbally, in the OT to Israel to keep rituals, this was just as important as following God's word to our conscience today. Anyway, this is how I think about it. Just wanted to share that.

Amen and amen. But it's not about any <rituals>* because it is about God's Word, "profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works".

*'paidea' // 'leitourgeoh' - 'leitourgeoh', 'Liturgy' - to SERVE, once only "instruction" here, once "nuture", thrice "chastize(ment)". Interesting this is the only time the English word "instruction" appears in the NT, while it is used in the OT KJV over 30 times, most importantly for the "instruction" or "service" or 'LITURGY' of the Scriptures, e.g., Proverbs 23:12,13 "apply thy heart to INSTRUCTION .. withhold not CORRECTION". Paul in 2Timothy 3:16 quoting OT - applying 'The Law' - again, to Christians!

"

Last edited:

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Jesus was never under the law because He never transgressed against it.
Jesus was born under the Law. It was so, to redeem those who were under the law. He was under the law, but He never transgressed any.

Tong
R1622

Reactions: mailmandan

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Jesus was born under the Law. It was so, to redeem those who were under the law. He was under the law, but He never transgressed any.

Jesus was born under the Law, and died under the Law, to redeem those who always have been - not once upon a time <were> as though only in the past - "under the law". He was under the law and "was made sin for us .. under the Law". Now do you say those who by their SINS DESERVE to be under the Law but are redeemed from under the Law are not under it? The SCIPTURES SAY YOU and every one else the SAME: ARE, "UNDER THE LAW FOR AS LONG AS THEY LIVE or will ever live". And that now, is the Truth and the only Truth and everything NOT THAT, is satanic LIE!

Last edited:

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Jesus cannot transgress a commandment that doesn't apply to him--he was never a sinner, and "honoring the Sabbath Day" was given for sinners. It represents God's need for rest from seeing the works of sinners for a time.
Jesus was born of a woman, born under the law. He was circumcised. Had he not he would be judged by the law as a sinner. He was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.

Tong
R1623

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I agree with your main point, but not with the corollary, that God hates religion (unless by this you mean God hates "dead" religion). Why would He give the Law unless it was born out of love? He would not concede to Man what Man wanted, namely formal religion, just because Man wants it and likes it!

Rather, God gave the formal rituals of the Law out of love because it was a true way for Israel to meet with God on a temporary basis until final restitution for sin could be made. Israel was displaying a testimony before the world of the need for final redemption form sin, a way to eternal life past death.

These rituals testified both to the inability of Man to have eternal life without redemption and to the willingness of God to maintain fellowship with Man in an agreement to go in this direction until the process is completed. This could legitimately be testified to by showing, through rituals, the need for sacrifices for sin.

No, I believe the rituals, though unnecessary in the long run, served a useful purpose both to God and to Man. But as you say, ultimately the goal was not purely external, but inward, which is then expressed outwardly whether in ritual or in good deeds.

Obeying God involves expressing good works, whether by performing rituals in obedience to God or in loving others in obedience to God. Rituals can become lifeless and perfunctory, or they can be meaningful and a witness to God's need to covenant together with people in a proper format.
Regarding the giving of the law to the children of Israel, when God took them out from Egypt through Moses, consider:

Exodus 19:3 And Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him from the mountain, saying, “Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel: 4 ‘You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles’ wings and brought you to Myself. 5 Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine. 6 And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel.”

We see the purpose of God concerning Israel there.

Galatians 3:19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. ........... 23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

Here we see the Law was given to bring them to Christ that they might be justified by faith. And that now that faith had come, those who were justified by faith, are no longer under the Law and are now in a new covenant with God, wherein the purpose of God spoken in Exodus 19:6 concerning Israel is being accomplished by God. For in the new covenant, having justified them through faith that has came, that is, Jesus Christ, God will transform them to the image of Jesus Christ, who is their High priest, and make them a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.

Tong
R1624