Coming In and Going Out

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, I should have said "obeyed"
Oh, okay. Then yep, you’ve annoyed me. Lol. But as I said to Jay, I’m one of the worst cases. I can’t be compared to him or to you. I can only be contrasted against those who are more naturally good and those who find obedience easy or even just achievable. I never did. My passions ruled me continuously and I was full of angry and murderous resentments at others. Of course I didn’t see this at first. At first I thought I was very humble and good, at least better than most, and thought everyone else was the problem, which is just another clear example of how hideous I was. I could never have obeyed. I would have stayed how I was, always fighting against the Spirit. And that’s AFTER I received the down payment of the Spirit!
And yes, I’m aware I may be confusing the rightness a man is capable of with holiness. I still blur the two into one where I am concerned, because I never WAS good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Mr E

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"...to begin to consider that doing righteously can mean admitting you did unrighteously..."
This can be difficult to realize but it is glaring when that happens. It can be embarrassing to admit, at least to another person, that we were wrong and apologize. Yet, it's a must do IMHO.
we eventually move out of that embarrassment and…we begin to see how freeing walking in truth is and…we glory in admitting the truth of our weaknesses and failures and poverty of spirit so that the power of God can begin to work and manifest in our lives. When we see and admit how weak and destitute we are, then we begin to see God work and manifest in our lives and we rejoice in the truth even when it shows us for how lacking we are, because we discover that when we see and admit the truth, then we are strong.

Its sort of like AA. Step one is admitting the truth that you have a problem, that you’re poor, that you’re lacking.

Reactions: Nancy and Mr E

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Speaking of Lao Tzu,
You are controlled by the one who makes you angry.

I was thinking earlier about forgiveness. I thought true forgiveness was maybe not to even be offended in the first place when someone does something offensive to you…

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are more than a few verses about this. (Coming in and going out).
Deut 28:6
Deut 31:2
Ps 121:8
John 10:9
Rev 3:12
There might be more, not sure.

What do you think it means?
This is a great question!

I'm reminded of Solomon, praying to God for wisdom to rule God's people,

1 Kings 3:7 KJV
And now, O LORD my God, thou hast made thy servant king instead of David my father: and I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in.

When I think of this in connection with,

Revelation 3:12a KJV
Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out:

I have an idea about this but I'm not able to articulate it at the moment. More meditation needed.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It could simply mean going out of your home and coming back in. In Moses' time it would have been tents. As to the allusion to sheep, sheep would be brought into the sheepfold (their home) in the evening and would go out to find pasture in the morning. People leave their homes to go about their business, and then return home for meals, relaxation, and rest. So this is probably nothing mysterious.
"My impressions"

It's freedom to move about in safety. We "go out" to accomplish things, and "come in" to share intimacy and nurture. And at the last, we will "go out" no more.

I see this speaking towards our sanctification and intimacy with God.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

All things are given in parables.

We have gone out from God and may or may not return. If we believe, He will see us through both. It is a promise of safe passage.

Reactions: Nancy and marks

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just taking a stab in the dark here, but the New Testament verses speak of going in and out of the Spirit realm. As Resurrected beings we have the ability to enter and exit the Spirit realm, walk through walls as Jesus did, appear and disappear from the material world as do the angels, etc. Especially if you think of Heaven, and our Spirit bodies as being in the sheepfold, and the pasture as being the material world during the Millennium. Jesus being the door to heaven and our immortal Spiritual bodies.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think the phrase refers to "fighting the enemy." To "go out" is to leave home and fight in a war. To "come in" is to return from the battle, presumably after the war is over. Those mentioned in Revelation 3 will never need to fight again. They are at peace.

Reactions: marks and ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the phrase refers to "fighting the enemy." To "go out" is to leave home and fight in a war. To "come in" is to return from the battle, presumably after the war is over. Those mentioned in Revelation 3 will never need to fight again. They are at peace.
And the enemy is often--us.

Like the kingdom of God, the battle is often within us, in which case we do well to seek Him, for it is He who is the victor.

Reactions: marks

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 25
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

[...]

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

[Note: the word used for "everlasting" is aiōnion, which can also be translated as "for an age"]

So - a theory on the underlying symbolism -

Left-hand: those going away from God. Right-hand: those going towards God. Left-hand: God's thoughts turned outwards - the expansion of God's consciousness. Right-hand: God's thoughts turned inwards, the perfection of an ideal.

The best way this can be understood is, that all things are streams of consciousness of God. A single photon of light that exists for only an instant is formed from the consciousness of God. All matter is formed from God's consciousness, also all creatures, and you and I are formed from God's consciousness. Everything that exists contains the image of God, like a fractal pattern, each part contains everything that is needed to restore itself to the whole. Everything is alive, but in varying degrees of awareness. As above, so below, we once ourselves began as a particle of light; just like the universe around us began with light.

Humans are at a crucial stage of the development of the soul, where we become aware of good and evil. Those who choose the path of evil, are outward bound, to explore the depths of despair and hatred, but inevitably, they are destined by some means or another to return to God. The purpose of their existence is that by overcoming that darkness, the darkness is ultimately turned to light, purified, and brought into God's domain. Those who choose the path of good, are those who have already conquered that darkness and are in the process of restoring it to God. Like one who has ventured into the wilderness and planted their King's flag, they must now undertake the journey home. These are the two paths of the soul.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello SBG

It can and does mean different things of course, depending on the context. In Deut the context given as two opposites- the city and the field, with blessings when you come into the city (bow') and when you go out (yatsa) to the field. It just means your comings and goings will be blessed (or conversely cursed) depending on your relationship with God.

In Exodus, (34:29-) the context is not just inside versus outside (the camp) but also with respect to going into (again, bow') or coming out (yatsa) of the presence of the God. Where Moses would go into the tent of meeting and his face would be glowing when he came out.

As far as NT references, John 16 might be the most significantly related--

I came from the Father and entered into the world, but in turn, I am leaving the world and going back to the Father.”

The concept again, is simply Coming and going.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is something you might find interesting, as Jesus says that he is the Gate.

Jesus the Good Shepherd
(Psalm 23:1–6; Ezekiel 34:11–24)

1“Truly, truly, I tell you, whoever does not enter the sheepfold by the gate, but climbs in some other way, is a thief and a robber. 2But the one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. 3The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen for his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.

4When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will flee from him because they do not recognize his voice.”

6Jesus spoke to them using this illustration, but they did not understand what He was telling them. 7So He said to them again, “Truly, truly, I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. 8All who came before Mea were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. 9I am the gate. If anyone enters through Me, he will be saved. He will come in and go out and find pasture. 10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I have come that they may have life, and have it in all its fullness.

This scripture talks about how Jesus knocks at the door that was was written by John to the Church at Laodeica, in Revelation 3:20

He wrote saying - “Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends."

He is the gate that we enter and find rest, peace with God, even though in this body we suffer through pain and hardships of losing others, and having different types of situations that have happened to each individual through life. God is good, and desires us to find rest in Christ, by entering into a relationship with the God who created all things, in which helps us by and through the Spirit that he gives which resides in the individuals heart. Praying and seeking for God is the good things to do in the life of Christian, in faith not relying on what you see but what you do not see and the evidences thereof - such as asking God to help you by the spirit.

Thinking about how people continue to speak about coming in and going out - Perhaps people come and go out of relationship with God in their life, but God is said to be long-suffering towards us as individuals and is patient with us, always calling by the spirit which says to come, but it up to people if they will go into that place that offers free water, and free food for anyone that is thirsty or hungry - which is supplied spiritually through relationship with God.

Can Christians go in and and out of the spirit and the flesh? I believe that is possible because our flesh is so natural to us as individuals that we enjoy our comforts, and pleasures, and joys whatever they may be for. However to rectify the flesh one needs to go and seek and read and become renewed in the mind - which is by God through the spirit who writes on the hearts and minds of individuals to be moved in faith by the spirit to Love God first, and to love others.

Interesting topic thank you stunned.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Okay, I should have said "obeyed"
Oh, okay. Then yep, you’ve annoyed me. Lol. But as I said to Jay, I’m one of the worst cases. I can’t be compared to him or to you. I can only be contrasted against those who are more naturally good and those who find obedience easy or even just achievable. I never did. My passions ruled me continuously and I was full of angry and murderous resentments at others. Of course I didn’t see this at first. At first I thought I was very humble and good, at least better than most, and thought everyone else was the problem, which is just another clear example of how hideous I was. I could never have obeyed. I would have stayed how I was, always fighting against the Spirit. And that’s AFTER I received the down payment of the Spirit!
And yes, I’m aware I may be confusing the rightness a man is capable of with holiness. I still blur the two into one where I am concerned, because I never WAS good."

"Of course I didn’t see this at first." We rarely do see it at first. And, it hurts when He shows us. Funny how we can see the deeds and judge another when we ourselves have done the same exact thing, ouch!

You are unique to yourself and cannot be compared to anyone at all. Learning obedience is quite the trek! Long ago I mistook my shyness (yes, can happen, lol) for humility, whoa was I wrong!

My mother had that natural goodness in her from the start, my dad...not so much. I'm more like my dad but was very close and loved my mom like no other on earth...to this day.

"And yes, I’m aware I may be confusing the rightness a man is capable of with holiness. I still blur the two into one where I am concerned, because I never WAS good."

We are on the same page here as I cannot distinguish the difference between holiness and righteousness either, and not ONE is good, no not one! Only in Him are we able to boast in any goodness coming from the heart.

One thing for certain, He said it would not be easy! But, way more than worth this race.

"Oh, okay. Then yep, you’ve annoyed me." :Broadly:

Reactions: CadyandZoe

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a great question!

I'm reminded of Solomon, praying to God for wisdom to rule God's people,

1 Kings 3:7 KJV
And now, O LORD my God, thou hast made thy servant king instead of David my father: and I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in.

When I think of this in connection with,

Revelation 3:12a KJV
Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out:

I have an idea about this but I'm not able to articulate it at the moment. More meditation needed.

Much love!
Wow, you found another one of the verses. :)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nancy, it’s time you learned how to quote. And it’s easier now too since the upgrade. Saves you lots of time.
Hit post reply button.
Then Click inside the quoted box at the end of the sentence you want to respond to.
It separates it out - then you just write your response.
You can do it for every sentence or portion you want.
Give it a try.

• Wow
Reactions: Nancy and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nancy, it’s time you learned how to quote. And it’s easier now too since the upgrade. Saves you lots of time.
Hit post reply button.
Then Click inside the quoted box at the end of the sentence you want to respond to.
Hey! I didn't know you could do that!

Give it a try.
Yup!

:)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Easier to delete a whole thing you have going on now too. Click anywhere, click again and hit select all, press backspace button, all gone!

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just got back, just came in. I had some errands to do. I know The Lord guards me, and protects me, from the evil one. Earlier I went out. I myself call this going out in the world. Being out in the world is not the same as being home. My enemy is not allowed here, as here is The Lord's, as it is protected round about. I know that I am blessed weather I am home or out in the world. In the old, The Lord protected the comings in, and the goings out of His people, when they were following His ways, for He was in the mist of them. There was an enemy then, and there is an enemy today. But today The Lord is with (within) us when we go out and when we come in. We truly are Blessed. There will come a day when we will have no need to go out again, as The Lord will be all we need.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hit post reply button.
Give it a try. Thanks, was wondering why I was screwing up! Hope I didn't screw this one up too...lol.