Confession

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't remember if I said that some believe that Jesus meant that it would be up to the Apostles to let new believers into the Christian community.

If the Apostles thought the newcomer was sorry for his sins and ready to become Christian, then he was "forgiven" his sins. If not, then he was not forgiven and not let into the community.

Anyway, yes, I agree that only God can forgive sins. And in fact, the CC does not teach that the priest forgives the sin, but only pronounces that God has.

Yes GG, agreed. When I posted the part about God being the only one to absolve ones sins, I was speaking to those that insist Catholic priests do indeed absolve sins. I am not a proponent of the confessional booth-at least as I remember it growing up...and I do have a bit of a problem with the penance thing. It just smacks of payment for sin...that has already been paid in full. I understand restitution and believe it is between the perpetrator and the offended person, if one truly is living the Christian life, their own consciences will draw them to repent first to God and to make recompense to the one they offended.

Blessings aplenty to you!
-nancy

Reactions: GodsGrace

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't understand how you could possibly know what persons ask God...I think if we're truly sorry, we DO tend to ask for help in not repeating the sin; it seems only natural. I think born again Christians know that Jesus is their personal savior and shepherd.
I think we all know that the Holy Spirit dwells within us and helps us to avoid as much sin as possible -- we will never be sinless but we proceed toward our regeneration or sanctification.

I used to live under that commitment to make Jesus Lord of my life and I was ding the best I can. Yes, I ask Him for forgiveness, but after receiving it, I show my appreciation by going back to doing the best I can in keeping that commitment.

To ask Him for help to not sin again is to apply faith in Him as my Good Shepherd means never looking to myself in doing the best I can but relying on Him all the time for help in following Him even after forgiveness.

Have you ever been to confession? I used to be Catholic many many years ago and have worked in the CC since I've been here. You'd be surprised how much a catholic priest could help a person. Like everything else, there are pros and cons to depending on a person...some do, however, find advice which is God-based in them and weight can be lifted from the shoulders of someone who needs this in a concrete way. Personally, I don't rely on anyone but our Lord...but we're not all the same.

I have heard a Catholic priest explain that these means are stepping stones to help Catholics to the Lord, but I see that they remain stuck there on those stepping stones. There is even a saying for why some go to Mary, and that is "Jesus is mad at me. I go to Mary because Jesus will never say no to Mary."

So I understand the reasoning for stepping stones as sympathy for those fearing to come to Jesus for, but it is a thief because they will never have the confidence to go to Him if they do the stepping stones because that is where they feel safe at in coming to Jesus.

I understand your point. But if this is what they're used to...why is it wrong? It's still God forgiving them.

When our believing in Him pleases God....then what does out not believing in Him to forgive us does?

There are bigger issues at stake. Does purgatory exist? Is Jesus' sacrifice sufficient? Does baptism save a baby? Are we imputed with original sin or only the effects of it? Is it possible to lose salvation? Etc.

It is a one of the big issues when a Catholic is not assured that God has forgiven him when he had asked for it.

I think the penance was developed to not just show sincerity to God that he wants to repent but as proof towards himself that he is sincere too, because he may feel that sin has dominion over his character to never stop sinning. This is where coming to Jesus is necessary not only for the forgiveness of our sins but to destroy the work of the devil in our lives so that sin has no more dominion over us or threaten to do so again.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.....8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:.......11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Jesus has delivered me from my commitment, covenant with my mouth, pledges of givings and all promises to God to rest in Him all the time for the help I need for following Him as He will help me lay aside every weight & sin in living that reconciled relationship with God through Jesus Christ, my ultimate high priest. No other substitute is needed.

The Catholics would know this too when they choose Jesus Christ to be their only & sufficient high priest. Joy comes from Jesus Christ as well as other fruits of the Spirit.

I'd like to spend some time on the above.
After dinner...

Okay.

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I used to live under that commitment to make Jesus Lord of my life and I was ding the best I can. Yes, I ask Him for forgiveness, but after receiving it, I show my appreciation by going back to doing the best I can in keeping that commitment.

To ask Him for help to not sin again is to apply faith in Him as my Good Shepherd means never looking to myself in doing the best I can but relying on Him all the time for help in following Him even after forgiveness.

I have heard a Catholic priest explain that these means are stepping stones to help Catholics to the Lord, but I see that they remain stuck there on those stepping stones. There is even a saying for why some go to Mary, and that is "Jesus is mad at me. I go to Mary because Jesus will never say no to Mary."

So I understand the reasoning for stepping stones as sympathy for those fearing to come to Jesus for, but it is a thief because they will never have the confidence to go to Him if they do the stepping stones because that is where they feel safe at in coming to Jesus.

When our believing in Him pleases God....then what does out not believing in Him to forgive us does?

It is a one of the big issues when a Catholic is not assured that God has forgiven him when he had asked for it.

I think the penance was developed to not just show sincerity to God that he wants to repent but as proof towards himself that he is sincere too, because he may feel that sin has dominion over his character to never stop sinning. This is where coming to Jesus is necessary not only for the forgiveness of our sins but to destroy the work of the devil in our lives so that sin has no more dominion over us or threaten to do so again.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.....8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:.......11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Jesus has delivered me from my commitment, covenant with my mouth, pledges of givings and all promises to God to rest in Him all the time for the help I need for following Him as He will help me lay aside every weight & sin in living that reconciled relationship with God through Jesus Christ, my ultimate high priest. No other substitute is needed.

The Catholics would know this too when they choose Jesus Christ to be their only & sufficient high priest. Joy comes from Jesus Christ as well as other fruits of the Spirit.

Okay.
All you do is eat and sleep.
Let's see an up to date picture of you.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All you do is eat and sleep.

Not really. I am getting to know Him & the power of His resurrection when I rely on Him all the time as my Good Shepherd for following Him.

Let's see an up to date picture of you.

Nah. You might barf. Cleaning vomit off of your computer monitor and key board is such chore.

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not really. I am getting to know Him & the power of His resurrection when I rely on Him all the time as my Good Shepherd for following Him.

Nah. You might barf. Cleaning vomit off of your computer monitor and key board is such chore.
Anyone who is a child of God is beautiful.
You don't see me laughing at GodsGrace, do you?

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyone who is a child of God is beautiful.

In His eyes, for sure. When Christ brings us to Heaven, all the Father will see is Christ in us, then every one will be beautiful in seeing Christ in all of us.

You don't see me laughing at GodsGrace, do you?

I have no idea what you are talking about. Was I laughing at GodsGrace? You lost me.

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In His eyes, for sure. When Christ brings us to Heaven, all the Father will see is Christ in us, then every one will be beautiful in seeing Christ in all of us.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Was I laughing at GodsGrace? You lost me.
I will say no more.
don't want to get into trouble.
Actually, GodsGrace is beautiful, inside and out, I just like to tease her because I know she'll be reading this.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't believe @Philip James is a calvinist

I am Catholic.
I believe everything I have posted on this site is well within the bounds of the teaching of the Church.
If however, i have contradicted or misrepresented Church teaching , then I am the one in error and i will submit to the correction of my brethren.

Peace!

Reactions: Rollo Tamasi

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

You sound like a nice person.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
That's not the issue for that verse. The issue is whether apostolic authority for making judgments regarding sins extended beyond the apostles. Scripture does not say so.
Just didnt want you to think i ignored your reek posting.

Re the scripture,,,itvalso doesnt teach the trinity. Such a cliche, but true.
Frankly, i dont think the matter of confession is very clear.
What do we do with scripture that is not clear?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I will say no more.
don't want to get into trouble.
Actually, GodsGrace is beautiful, inside and out, I just like to tease her because I know she'll be reading this.
OK
Now That's what i like to hear.
Just keep practicing...!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I am Catholic.
I believe everything I have posted on this site is well within the bounds of the teaching of the Church.
If however, i have contradicted or misrepresented Church teaching , then I am the one in error and i will submit to the correction of my brethren.

Peace!
Hi PJ
Im sorry if I spoke for you but i knew what @Nancy was asking.

IOW,,,when you say...
God chooses us...

What do you mean exactly?

Does God choose specific persons to be saved?
Or does He desire all to be saved? (Based on His conditions, of course).

Reactions: Nancy

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just didnt want you to think i ignored your reek posting.

Re the scripture,,,itvalso doesnt teach the trinity. Such a cliche, but true.
Frankly, i dont think the matter of confession is very clear.
What do we do with scripture that is not clear?
Bless me GodsGrace for I have sinned......

Reactions: Nancy