Confession

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Confession , to me, is that we agree with God that we are lost sinners without Jesus.
that is a great starting perspective imo, gets one all the way to Nehushtan or ritual worship. Nothing wrong with that. Imo you have moved on from there and are just being modest, but of course we hesitate to call ourselves elohim aloud, even if God does. Kinda like claiming to be the most humble guy in the room or something i guess.

you might be interested to learn that Scripture was written Dialectically and not Logically also,
he who says he knows does not know, like that, except we are raised to reason (and read) logically,
so Scripture does not make logical sense to us in many places, and believe it or not i guess this is on purpose.

there's a thread around somewhere with "Dialectic" in it, "Logical v Dialectical Reasoning in Scripture" or something like that, and i wish i could say why Christian pastors are not aware of this and teaching it, but i don't know. I guess you could search "Authors of Torah used Dialectic thinking" or something, there are some links in the thread, but "proof" or even evidence is fairly scarce, except for reading the Bible in the Lex and several translations imo, where it becomes more obvious. Provide for your family. Don't work for food. Etc

Reactions: Nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Quote it then please, or see that you are just making sh-t up
ty
then may i ask why you are here, and not on a Catholic site? Do you just enjoy hearing that your beliefs are unScriptural or something? I would be careful about mistaking forgiveness and tolerance for acceptance, especially while you are holding that gun, ok. God will not be mocked kepha
And why shouldn't the poster be accepted?
I'm accepted on Catholic forums.
Catholics are Christian, in case you haven't noticed.
Just because their doctrines do not agree with ours, does not mean they're incorrect. One day we might find out WE'VE been incorrect all this time.
Why did everything change in the 1,500's? Could it be that no one except Luther found doctrine wrong in Catholicism?
Do you realize that if it weren't for the catholic church Christianity might be very different today with all the heresies that were abolished through councils?

What gun? How is God being mocked? We're all doing our best to follow what we think is correct.

I'm sorry Jesus wasn't more specific in His teachings.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
When we were kids in the pre-Vatican era, the manner of teaching catechesis was still developing. Jesus did not condemn repetitious prayer, He condemned the vanity. Repetitious prayer is analogous to an orchestra to a play, and the actions we are to focus on is the main events of the Bible, condensed to 20. While the "music" is playing we visualize being present at the birth, life, death, resurrection and other biblical events. The Rosary is not primarily about Mary, it's a Bible study. We don't *need* rosaries, fingers work just as well. Praising Jesus (...blessed is the the fruit of your womb, Jesus..) and mocking the rosary is done out of ignorance "...for they know not what they do". There are Protestants who recite the Rosary. The capacity for abstract thinking usually develops between the ages of 10-14.
James 5 talks about 2 different sacraments. Reconciliation and the Anointing of the Sick. It used to be called "Extreme Unction" because it was usually administered when you faced death. Protestant pastors will follow James 5 and anoint their sick members on hospital rounds so praying over the sick with oil is not foreign to some Protestants. If you look at James 5 carefully, a person can have their sins forgiven even when unconscious. Oh those wacky Catholics!!!

We can and should confess our sins directly to God. That works just fine. For Catholics confessing to a priest is mandatory once a year, and upon committing a mortal sin. It's not a matter of following rules, it's a matter of conscience. Once a month is suggested because it leads to spiritual maturity and holiness. All Christians should take a periodic honest moral inventory of ourselves. or we risk remaining a spiritual infant.

A few comments:
Catechism means learning by questions and answers. It used to work pretty well because at least you remebered some of the answers, but it didn't enter the heart.
Catholics were catholic by rote.

Today lessons are done, but it's too little. We have little atheists at the age of only 9 or 11. Few are the ones who have a heart for God. Maybe this is better, maybe the tare is being separated from the wheat? The world is a big influence, science is a big influence and even though the CC finds no contradiction between faith and science, kids do. They tell me about the big bang. I asked them where the gases came from. They get stumped, but come up with answers when in adulthood.

You're right about the abstract thinking and the age at which it starts. Maybe this is when catechism should begin? Priests don't agree with me. They're like McDonald's: Get them when their young -- except they won't be theirs forever!

I don't believe a person can be forgiven mortal sins when they're unconscious. Maybe this is true if God knows they would have WANTED to. We must be in good rapport with Him before we become unconscious...this is catholic teaching.

As to confession, yes, once a year, preferably at Easter time. And for mortal sins.
I confess to God every time I think of it. I can't even remember half the sins I commit -- God is much more sensitive to sin than we ever will be.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
We're all doing our best to follow what we think is correct.
there is a way that seems right to a man, that ends in death

then give him a chance to Quote what he thinks is correct i guess
and being as how we are surrounded by a cloud i'll let you decide after his Quote, how bout that? Being as how i am maybe biased

guess the gun picture is gone, just ask him or Gimage "kepha"
why shouldn't fascism be accepted, indeed.

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
there is a way that seems right to a man, that ends in death

guess the gun picture is gone, just ask him or Gimage "kepha"
We all think we're right bb.
There's a lot of beauty in the CC.
Also, please remember that our doctrine is not going to save us.
Our membership in the Kingdom of God here saves us...and if we stay in it, will continue to save us.

I can only think on one doctrine that may lead to death, but I talk enough about that and won't now.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
We all think we're right bb.
pls GG, if that is the standard then just pray to satan and ask trees for absolution.
If you think you are right then there is Scripture for it, and there is no Scripture for that, only against it.
near as i can tell anyway.

you are welcome to come to bat for him if you like?
i actually prefer to discuss with Catholic women, being as how they wear the pants generally speaking

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
We can and should confess our sins directly to God. That works just fine. For Catholics confessing to a priest is mandatory once a year, and upon committing a mortal sin. It's not a matter of following rules, it's a matter of conscience.
so, it's mandatory, but it's not a matter of following rules. Ok.

now please state your justifications for these assertions that you have made, that i deem satanic and unScriptural,
so i can apologize to you and we can move on. From the Bible please, ty.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
How's this for Kepha!!
wrong "epostle" i guess, my bad
CLgiB7f.jpg

https://imgur.com/CLgiB7f
CLgiB7f

who can UL a picture here anymore lol, hope one of those works

and just so it's clear, i am all for accepting Catholics who are ready to admit that they have as much authority as the pope, and can provide some justification from the Bible for their actions, even if i don't agree with it/them.

There is no judgement for beliefs that i can tell, and i have no desire to condemn anyone for their beliefs. If he had stated a belief i would never have commented fwiw; but he did not do that

Last edited:
Reactions: GodsGrace

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that is a great starting perspective imo, gets one all the way to Nehushtan or ritual worship. Nothing wrong with that. Imo you have moved on from there and are just being modest, but of course we hesitate to call ourselves elohim aloud, even if God does. Kinda like claiming to be the most humble guy in the room or something i guess.

you might be interested to learn that Scripture was written Dialectically and not Logically also,
he who says he knows does not know, like that, except we are raised to reason (and read) logically,
so Scripture does not make logical sense to us in many places, and believe it or not i guess this is on purpose.

there's a thread around somewhere with "Dialectic" in it, "Logical v Dialectical Reasoning in Scripture" or something like that, and i wish i could say why Christian pastors are not aware of this and teaching it, but i don't know. I guess you could search "Authors of Torah used Dialectic thinking" or something, there are some links in the thread, but "proof" or even evidence is fairly scarce, except for reading the Bible in the Lex and several translations imo, where it becomes more obvious. Provide for your family. Don't work for food. Etc

Good morning Bbyrd,
It's nice to know I am now protected from those fiery serpents!
Yes, I had to look up Dialectic :rolleyes:...just in case you thought I might, lol. I never heard of the method but happens to be how I was taught the Gospels. I will look it up in detail and try it out on the next book of THE BOOK :p I study. TANX B! See ya round..

Reactions: bbyrd009

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A few comments:
Catechism means learning by questions and answers. It used to work pretty well because at least you remebered some of the answers, but it didn't enter the heart.
Catholics were catholic by rote.

Today lessons are done, but it's too little. We have little atheists at the age of only 9 or 11. Few are the ones who have a heart for God. Maybe this is better, maybe the tare is being separated from the wheat? The world is a big influence, science is a big influence and even though the CC finds no contradiction between faith and science, kids do. They tell me about the big bang. I asked them where the gases came from. They get stumped, but come up with answers when in adulthood.

You're right about the abstract thinking and the age at which it starts. Maybe this is when catechism should begin? Priests don't agree with me. They're like McDonald's: Get them when their young -- except they won't be theirs forever!

I don't believe a person can be forgiven mortal sins when they're unconscious. Maybe this is true if God knows they would have WANTED to. We must be in good rapport with Him before we become unconscious...this is catholic teaching.

As to confession, yes, once a year, preferably at Easter time. And for mortal sins.
I confess to God every time I think of it. I can't even remember half the sins I commit -- God is much more sensitive to sin than we ever will be.

Hi Gods Grace,
I was raised Catholic, 1st communion, confirmation, Tuesday walk from Public school to the CC down the road for "Religious Instructions". I started to skip Mass as I hated going because of the boredom and just being afraid of God...yes, they are heaped with cha-chidies of all kinds! I am so not at all big on ritualism and tradition. Gotta ask you from one ex RC to another. Why would you go to a Catholic Church, to confess to a man (couldn't even see their faces though that scary screen back in my day. lol!) and, cannot God's saving grace remove that sin (if repented of an restitution made if needed or able) just like all the other sins? The only
"mortal" sin to me is the blaspheming of the Holy Spirit. I don't know...maybe you just like the the traditions, incense and such. Just curious what would make one ex Catholic want to go back to it, even if just for one day a year.
Blessings!
-nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
so, it's mandatory, but it's not a matter of following rules. Ok.

now please state your justifications for these assertions that you have made, that i deem satanic and unScriptural,
so i can apologize to you and we can move on. From the Bible please, ty.
The above is for epostle...
For those reading along, @epostle (not the one with the gun) made a little mistake...
It's not mandatory to confess once a year.
It's recommended and it's recommended to do this around Easter time, for lent. This is because there are two times a year when one prepares to meet God...
For Christmas and for Easter. It'a special time.

For mortal sins, one always has to confess to a priest.

(just want to state that I'm not catholic)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@GodsGrace

Just an FYI
epostle ...without gun...and epostle1 ..with gun...are one and the same.
He had login problems and ended up with two profiles.

Hey, it better than it was...he used to have THREE, he was/is 'Kepha' too!!
But Kepha has bitten the dust now, but he still has two.
( it depends on which search engine he is using)

Bless you...Helen

Reactions: Nancy and GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hi Gods Grace,
I was raised Catholic, 1st communion, confirmation, Tuesday walk from Public school to the CC down the road for "Religious Instructions". I started to skip Mass as I hated going because of the boredom and just being afraid of God...yes, they are heaped with cha-chidies of all kinds! I am so not at all big on ritualism and tradition. Gotta ask you from one ex RC to another. Why would you go to a Catholic Church, to confess to a man (couldn't even see their faces though that scary screen back in my day. lol!) and, cannot God's saving grace remove that sin (if repented of an restitution made if needed or able) just like all the other sins? The only
"mortal" sin to me is the blaspheming of the Holy Spirit. I don't know...maybe you just like the the traditions, incense and such. Just curious what would make one ex Catholic want to go back to it, even if just for one day a year.
Blessings!
-nancy
Hi Nancy, Fair question.
I left the CC when I became born again back when I was about 28. There was no spiritual food there for me and I was starving. I ended up in a Nazarene church where I stayed till I moved here.

I mean, look where I live! If I want to go to church, it's the Catholic church. I have nothing against it these days. The changes it's gone through are truly amazing. I taught catechism in a church here for 6 years; I know a few priests personally and a couple in particular. They've been to my home for lunch and all that...

It's not that I want to become catholic again -- that entails believing all the doctrine, which a catholic MUST believe and if one doesn't, they have to pray about it. I won't get into that. It's just that I know the doctrine and I hate to see mistakes said that are not corrected.

No more screens nowadays. I prepared kids for reconciliation. I taught them that God loves them and they should speak to a priest when they have a problem or need to confess a sin. It is taught today that one doesn't have to go to confession on a regular basis.

I was raised with hell fire, and brimstone too, but I always knew by instinct that God must surely by a God of love. Seeing Jesus on the cross used to make me feel sad.

I do like the traditions and I think they're very good for young kids. It gives them something to hang on to and to remember when they're older. I think the protestant churches are lacking in this. No church is perfect. And some churches are too strict and works based and some are too liberal and faith only based; and so it goes.

As far as mortal sins...even Jesus said there are some sins that are greater:
John 19:11
Luke 12:47-48 How would you explain this? I don't have an explanation.

And, yes, blaspheming of the Holy Spirit is the one unforgiveable sin.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@GodsGrace

Just an FYI
epostle ...without gun...and epostle1 ..with gun...are one and the same.
He had login problems and ended up with two profiles.

Hey, it better than it was...he used to have THREE, he was/is 'Kepha' too!!
But Kepha has bitten the dust now, but he still has two.
( it depends on which search engine he is using)

Bless you...Helen
Thanks Helen.
So THIS is what @bbyrd009 was talking about!

Reactions: Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
pls GG, if that is the standard then just pray to satan and ask trees for absolution.
If you think you are right then there is Scripture for it, and there is no Scripture for that, only against it.
near as i can tell anyway.

you are welcome to come to bat for him if you like?
i actually prefer to discuss with Catholic women, being as how they wear the pants generally speaking
Sure I have scripture...but so does the next guy.
So now what?

I didn't know Epostle was Kepha --- he seemed like a new guy and I was trying to be nice to him. I still like to be nice to everyone. I dislike calvinism a lot, but I try to be nice to them too. I TRY!
And, yeah, you do have a problem with catholics..look at that statement about the pants in the house. You must have known some weird catholics in your life.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I mean, look where I live! If I want to go to church, it's the Catholic church.
Lol, yes I can understand that on a smaller scale, of course...I live in South Buffalo Ny and this place is filled to the brim with RC churches and Irish bars ALL over the place...it is where I grew up...never thought I would live in this area again..well, as they say..."we plan, God laughs"!

"It's just that I know the doctrine and I hate to see mistakes said that are not corrected." Yes, I understand. Even having been away from Catholicism for so very long, I can see erroneous info spewed from Cath. bashers. But then I get to soak up many new ideas and Godly thoughts when I read the posts of those like, ByGrace, YOU! Triumph. Bbryd (silly goose he is:D), Rollo and many more!

"No more screens nowadays."---That's good to know! Was so dark and scary as a child.

Luke 12:47-48
"How would you explain this? I don't have an explanation." As I read and understand it is that we are to use the gifts that God has given us and even those whom do not KNOW what their gift is will be held responsible as well for not seeking it out? I also see that those who are over us (Church leaders and such) will take the brunt of the punishment because they were in the KNOW-they received their instruction from their "lord" (boss?) Jesus was speaking to His disciples, and seeing as how He was always saying to be prepared, He expected His disciples to teach ALL He told them soooo...I dunno, I guess since they were the ones to get it all started...they would be responsible more so if God's word were not spread in the way He commanded. I am not at all sure that that is what it means, but...then I have not really prayed about this particular verse...it does seem a bit scary though, lol.
Thank you for writing back God's Grace"! BTW-I was lucky enough (yes, lucky in my own human terms...funny as I don't believe in luck, lol) to spend a summer in Italy with one of my brothers and my grandmother when I was 11. We stayed in a small (village , town??_) called

Roccapiemonte. My older sister did not want to go so. I was able to take her place. I copied and pasted the city's name and now cant get the font back to mine! Lol.

"As far as mortal sins..." Is Jesus sacrifice insufficient to wash away EVERY, mortal, venial... sin no matter the gravity of it? I know He will never forgive blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

Sry so long GodsGrace<---could call you "God's" for short...what an awesome name to go by!
see you on here!
God Bless you!
-nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
then bam Quote it and we'll see
And, yeah, you do have a problem with catholics..look at that statement about the pants in the house. You must have known some weird catholics in your life.
pants in the house? you lost me there sorry. Fwiw i volunteer with Catholics about every day, my boss is a Catholic, and my best friend is a Catholic. They are both "lapsed" i guess, i dunno what the protocol is there.

But a point i hope to make here is that they do not come to Christian Forums and make statements of belief as though they were Absolute Truth. IRL or in a Catholic Forum i would just completely ignore it, but words is all we have here.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So now what?

I didn't know Epostle was Kepha --- he seemed like a new guy and I was trying to be nice to him. I still like to be nice to everyone. I dislike calvinism a lot, but I try to be nice to them too. I TRY!

"You must have known some weird catholics in your life." Lol...I have met no more weirder than the JW's...and, I detest Calvinism...they are wresting a few scriptures and Making GOD out to be a very unjust and cruel being...which we know He is NOT!!! AAAArgh-that is the very doctrine that moved me away from the Church in the mid ninety's and I can only imagine how many souls were/are being lost because of their doctrine. My own Pastor is a Calvinist, but he does not preach/teach on it...I suspect all the others, elders, teachers...leaders of my Church are of the same belief. My guess is that he won't teach it is because he would end up with empty pews.!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
We can and should confess our sins directly to God. That works just fine. For Catholics confessing to a priest is mandatory once a year, and upon committing a mortal sin.
now please state your justifications for these assertions that you have made, that i deem satanic and unScriptural
:crickets

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Lol, yes I can understand that on a smaller scale, of course...I live in South Buffalo Ny and this place is filled to the brim with RC churches and Irish bars ALL over the place...it is where I grew up...never thought I would live in this area again..well, as they say..."we plan, God laughs"!

"It's just that I know the doctrine and I hate to see mistakes said that are not corrected." Yes, I understand. Even having been away from Catholicism for so very long, I can see erroneous info spewed from Cath. bashers. But then I get to soak up many new ideas and Godly thoughts when I read the posts of those like, ByGrace, YOU! Triumph. Bbryd (silly goose he is:D), Rollo and many more!

"No more screens nowadays."---That's good to know! Was so dark and scary as a child.

South Buffalo. Lots of snow. I grew up in NYC, in Queens, in Whitestone. It's a nice place, but I know you Notherners hate the city! I'm very familiar with the Catskills and the Adirondacks. We spent every summer either in Italy or up there. I have distant relatives in Little Falls --- I've lost touch with the new generation.

I was taught that we had to go to confession every Saturday and remember every sin and how many times we committed that sin.
Great way to keep the mind on sin instead of on God!

"How would you explain this? I don't have an explanation." As I read and understand it is that we are to use the gifts that God has given us and even those whom do not KNOW what their gift is will be held responsible as well for not seeking it out? I also see that those who are over us (Church leaders and such) will take the brunt of the punishment because they were in the KNOW-they received their instruction from their "lord" (boss?) Jesus was speaking to His disciples, and seeing as how He was always saying to be prepared, He expected His disciples to teach ALL He told them soooo...I dunno, I guess since they were the ones to get it all started...they would be responsible more so if God's word were not spread in the way He commanded. I am not at all sure that that is what it means, but...then I have not really prayed about this particular verse...it does seem a bit scary though, lol.

Those that know our Lord don't have to be afraid of anything. Praise God!
But, yes, I'd have to agree with you. This reminds also of James 3:1 where James says that not many of us should become teachers because they will incur a stricter judgement. Like you said, to whom much is given, much will be expected. Teaching carries with it a lot of responsibility.

I believe too that Luke is saying that if someone ignores what Jesus wants, or just does whatever he wants to do with no regard to God's wishes - that person will be placed with the unbelievers. But if a person does a poor job through ignorance, he'll get off easier.

It means we should be ready and act as if the Lord is coming back this very day.
Sometimes I'm told I talk about works too much, but it's because of verses such as the above. It's Jesus saying this, not an Apostle!

Thank you for writing back God's Grace"! BTW-I was lucky enough (yes, lucky in my own human terms...funny as I don't believe in luck, lol) to spend a summer in Italy with one of my brothers and my grandmother when I was 11. We stayed in a small (village , town??_) called
Roccapiemonte. My older sister did not want to go so. I was able to take her place. I copied and pasted the city's name and now cant get the font back to mine! Lol.

Look! There's a Eurospin in Roccapiemonte.
I have one 3 blocks from my house -- it's so convenient.
Beautiful area, hope you went to Capri and Sorrento, etc.

"As far as mortal sins..."
Is Jesus sacrifice insufficient to wash away EVERY, mortal, venial... sin no matter the gravity of it? I know He will never forgive blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

Sry so long GodsGrace<---could call you "God's" for short...what an awesome name to go by!
see you on here!
God Bless you!
-nancy

Sure. God will forgive any sin except unbelief, or attributing to satan something God did - both of which is the blaspheming of the Holy Spirit.
See you around!

P.S. Did you try clicking on the toolbar under the T to change the size? I use 5.