Confession

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
"You must have known some weird catholics in your life." Lol...I have met no more weirder than the JW's...and, I detest Calvinism...they are wresting a few scriptures and Making GOD out to be a very unjust and cruel being...which we know He is NOT!!! AAAArgh-that is the very doctrine that moved me away from the Church in the mid ninety's and I can only imagine how many souls were/are being lost because of their doctrine. My own Pastor is a Calvinist, but he does not preach/teach on it...I suspect all the others, elders, teachers...leaders of my Church are of the same belief. My guess is that he won't teach it is because he would end up with empty pews.!
Wow, yeah. It's a really brutal doctrine -- it changes the loving nature of God and makes one wonder if they're really saved.

I don't think there are too many around here, but on another forum I was on, I think 1/3 were calvinists. How anyone could believe those teachings, I'll never know.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, yeah. It's a really brutal doctrine -- it changes the loving nature of God and makes one wonder if they're really saved.

I don't think there are too many around here, but on another forum I was on, I think 1/3 were calvinists. How anyone could believe those teachings, I'll never know.
Same here, it just seems so very arrogant and presumptuous...like Jesus sacrifice was not quite strong and big enough for ALL people, Very sad indeed.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Lol, yes I can understand that on a smaller scale, of course...I live in South Buffalo Ny and this place is filled to the brim with RC churches and Irish bars ALL over the place...it is where I grew up...never thought I would live in this area again..well, as they say..."we plan, God laughs"!

"It's just that I know the doctrine and I hate to see mistakes said that are not corrected." Yes, I understand. Even having been away from Catholicism for so very long, I can see erroneous info spewed from Cath. bashers. But then I get to soak up many new ideas and Godly thoughts when I read the posts of those like, ByGrace, YOU! Triumph. Bbryd (silly goose he is:D), Rollo and many more!

"No more screens nowadays."---That's good to know! Was so dark and scary as a child.

Luke 12:47-48
"How would you explain this? I don't have an explanation." As I read and understand it is that we are to use the gifts that God has given us and even those whom do not KNOW what their gift is will be held responsible as well for not seeking it out? I also see that those who are over us (Church leaders and such) will take the brunt of the punishment because they were in the KNOW-they received their instruction from their "lord" (boss?) Jesus was speaking to His disciples, and seeing as how He was always saying to be prepared, He expected His disciples to teach ALL He told them soooo...I dunno, I guess since they were the ones to get it all started...they would be responsible more so if God's word were not spread in the way He commanded. I am not at all sure that that is what it means, but...then I have not really prayed about this particular verse...it does seem a bit scary though, lol.
Thank you for writing back God's Grace"! BTW-I was lucky enough (yes, lucky in my own human terms...funny as I don't believe in luck, lol) to spend a summer in Italy with one of my brothers and my grandmother when I was 11. We stayed in a small (village , town??_) called

Roccapiemonte. My older sister did not want to go so. I was able to take her place. I copied and pasted the city's name and now cant get the font back to mine! Lol.

"As far as mortal sins..." Is Jesus sacrifice insufficient to wash away EVERY, mortal, venial... sin no matter the gravity of it? I know He will never forgive blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

Sry so long GodsGrace<---could call you "God's" for short...what an awesome name to go by!
see you on here!
God Bless you!
-nancy

Don't change anything "just for me" ...but I just wanted to say that I find that bright pale green at the top half of your post unreadable. :(
I even lowered the brightness of my laptop to see if it made it easier.

Especially in late evening the screen is hard enough normally..but a pale light colour is almost impossible.

Trust me to be the odd man out! :D
Your post was not 'for me' anyway....if and when you post 'to me' can you use the blue or any other colour ? Thanks
. . . il_340x270.1082929331_i5oa.jpg

Reactions: Nancy and GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Don't change anything "just for me" ...but I just wanted to say that I find that bright pale green at the top half of your post unreadable. :(

Especially in late evening the screen is hard enough normally..but a pale light colour is almost impossible.

Your post was not 'for me' anyway....if and when you post 'to me' can you use the blue or any other colour ? Thanks
. . . View attachment 2942
Helen... I agree.

Maybe @Nancy could use a darker green and BOLD it??

This is due to the change that has occurred.
We're all trying to figure out a way how to make our replies be distinquished from the post. I'm using a size 5 for my replies.
Before, I didn't have to do anything!

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
It's not that I want to become catholic again -- that entails believing all the doctrine, which a catholic MUST believe and if one doesn't, they have to pray about it.
i'm at a loss to understand how you consider them Christians then tbh.
But then i don't have this "God only loves Christians" thing going on, either

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

South Buffalo. Lots of snow. I grew up in NYC, in Queens, in Whitestone. It's a nice place, but I know you Notherners hate the city! I'm very familiar with the Catskills and the Adirondacks. We spent every summer either in Italy or up there. I have distant relatives in Little Falls --- I've lost touch with the new generation.

I was taught that we had to go to confession every Saturday and remember every sin and how many times we committed that sin.
Great way to keep the mind on sin instead of on God!

Those that know our Lord don't have to be afraid of anything. Praise God!
But, yes, I'd have to agree with you. This reminds also of James 3:1 where James says that not many of us should become teachers because they will incur a stricter judgement. Like you said, to whom much is given, much will be expected. Teaching carries with it a lot of responsibility.

I believe too that Luke is saying that if someone ignores what Jesus wants, or just does whatever he wants to do with no regard to God's wishes - that person will be placed with the unbelievers. But if a person does a poor job through ignorance, he'll get off easier.

It means we should be ready and act as if the Lord is coming back this very day.
Sometimes I'm told I talk about works too much, but it's because of verses such as the above. It's Jesus saying this, not an Apostle!

Look! There's a Eurospin in Roccapiemonte.
I have one 3 blocks from my house -- it's so convenient.
Beautiful area, hope you went to Capri and Sorrento, etc.

Sure. God will forgive any sin except unbelief, or attributing to satan something God did - both of which is the blaspheming of the Holy Spirit.
See you around!

P.S. Did you try clicking on the toolbar under the T to change the size? I use 5.

" I'm very familiar with the Catskills and the Adirondacks. We spent every summer either in Italy or up there. I have distant relatives in Little Falls --- I've lost touch with the new generation." Oh wow, so many beautiful memories!

"I was taught that we had to go to confession every Saturday and remember every sin and how many times we committed that sin.
Great way to keep the mind on sin instead of on God!"

Yes! Even at a young age, I knew that was and still is impossible to remember every sin!! That's probably why all I ever focused on was my sin...bringing constant feelings of guilt. It was and still can be, at times, very hard for me to relate to Father God in that personal intimate way as I never was close to my own father...even remember saying (to myself, allot and with anger, as a child: "I hate him, I hate him! He's only a man!!!" Had to be around 7 or 8 years old. Off subject, sry! Lol-that should go on a testimony thread I suppose.:oops:

"I believe too that Luke is saying that if someone ignores what Jesus wants, or just does whatever he wants to do with no regard to God's wishes - that person will be placed with the unbelievers. But if a person does a poor job through ignorance, he'll get off easier."

Agreed, except where "that person will be placed with the unbelievers". I certainly believe that persons works will be burnt up as hay, wood and stubble and will be a vessel unto dishonor in the Kingdom of God and will not enter into the Marriage Supper of The Lamb....the person themselves will still be saved.
1 Corinthians 3:15

"It means we should be ready and act as if the Lord is coming back this very day."

AMEN SISTER...it is imminent!

"Sometimes I'm told I talk about works too much"

Oh well we were created for good works...from the heart, through Christ and the Spirit and all Glory deservedly is to go to God..."For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath beforehand ordained, that we should walk in them." Ephesians 2:10. How awesome is that?? We do not have to go looking for "good works" because He already preordained that all we need do is walk right into them, if walking by the Spirit, we will see the need right away and that's where we choose to obey. IMO!

"Sure. God will forgive any sin except unbelief, or attributing to satan something God did - both of which is the blaspheming of the Holy Spirit."

Spot on sister. Seems you too have difficulty giving a capital "s" to the evil one!

"Look! There's a Eurospin in Roccapiemonte.
I have one 3 blocks from my house -- it's so convenient.
Beautiful area, hope you went to Capri and Sorrento, etc."

"Sigh, unfortunately, we were unable to go anywhere because my Grandmother got sick and my Aunt and Uncle did not want to drag 2 pre-teens around with them on their "second honeymoon" lol...I don't blame them.

I just changed to size five font! Take care and God bless you abundantly!
Have a blessed night,
All in His Name,
-nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
i'm at a loss to understand how you consider them Christians then tbh.
But then i don't have this "God only loves Christians" thing going on, either
bb, they, meaning those that are saved, believe in Jesus, just like we do.
They don't believe works save them, just like we do.
They do believe in ongoing justification, which we call sanctification.
They have some beliefs we don't agree with. Who doesn't?
Why do YOU think the way you do??

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

. . . View attachment 2942

Oh I'm so glad you mentioned...I just thought it would be easier to distinguish who was saying what, lol...I'm getting tired of changing the color anyhow...sorry guys and gals :oops:

Reactions: Helen and GodsGrace

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just so you all know-NO more colored font...unless maybe red or blue for emphasis now and then...gettin tired of changing the color anyhow, lol.

Reactions: Helen and GodsGrace

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Just so you all know-NO more colored font...unless maybe red or blue for emphasis now and then...gettin tired of changing the color anyhow, lol.

Thank you! This is sure easier to read.
I think I will switch to #5 font too.
I had noticed that Willie T always uses it too. :)

Reactions: Nancy

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I usually take an inventory of my sin based on the 10 commandments, pray for forgiveness and then go to reconciliation. Failing to love perfectly violates all the examples of sin in the 10 commandments in unique ways that I share with my priest.

Reactions: Philip James

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
bb, they, meaning those that are saved, believe in Jesus, just like we do.
They don't believe works save them, just like we do.
They do believe in ongoing justification, which we call sanctification.
They have some beliefs we don't agree with. Who doesn't?
Why do YOU think the way you do??
i'm not quite sure hot to even put it tbh; the fact that someone is so anxious to be deemed "Christian" displays a lack of understanding all by itself imo, and is just first cousin to Picking the Correct Denomination. I could go on for the rest of the day about how Christians are priests, etc, and pointing out other, stark differences, but they would not apply to the many Catholics who are doing the right thing anyway, and the ones who are not are certainly not interested in my pov.

So i dunno if "Munchausen by Proxy" or "Stockholm Syndrome" is a better description, but this "i have to be considered a Christian or i won't go to heaven after i die" is a very stilted pov imo. God does not care what you call yourself

Reactions: Nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
i'm not quite sure hot to even put it tbh; the fact that someone is so anxious to be deemed "Christian" displays a lack of understanding all by itself imo, and is just first cousin to Picking the Correct Denomination. I could go on for the rest of the day about how Christians are priests, etc, and pointing out other, stark differences, but they would not apply to the many Catholics who are doing the right thing anyway, and the ones who are not are certainly not interested in my pov.

So i dunno if "Munchausen by Proxy" or "Stockholm Syndrome" is a better description, but this "i have to be considered a Christian or i won't go to heaven after i die" is a very stilted pov imo. God does not care what you call yourself
I agree.
YOU'RE the one who said you don't understand how I could consider a catholic to be Christian.
Did I misunderstand you?
I'm saying that Catholics are Christian, at least those that are born again, just like only some protestants are born again...

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
speaking in tongues, iow

that other one = confusion imo
deliberately confused in the accounts to make the point
speaking in tongues OT, who can find it?

none of us share ezackly the same def for any word imo
we all "speak in tongues"

Reactions: Helen