Confession

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
That is true, But how many people have truly gone to someone that they have hurt, or sinned against and made reconciliation, asked the other party to truly forgive me, the offender!
In 1966 my oldest brother was to ship out for Vietnam, so He and my second oldest brother were watching TV in our room, they woke me up, so I asked them to turn it off, and they refused, so I CUSSED my oldest brother. Two months later He came home in a Body bag, I never got say I was sorry! This has happened two other times in my life, and it will never happen again!
If you Sin Against God you Repent to God, If you Sin Against a Person you also leave you sacrifice at the Alter and go to that Person Reconcile, then go back to your Alter and offer your sacrifice of Repentance to God, through Our High Priest!
That was 52 years ago. There are some things we will carry with us our whole life.
I agree with your post.

If, however, a person likes going to confession we should not try to dissuade him. Talking about it to learn and understand is OK.

I do wonder what Jesus meant in John 20.
It's never mentioned again. Could 1 John be addressing this?

Reactions: Truth

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What do you think it means to confess our sons one to the other?

Not sure I have heard that one?! :)

If you mean sins...I believe it is speaking about or sins toward them, the person. Esp within the family..we snap and snarl if maybe we aren't feeling too well... we need to fess up and say sorry , I was wrong.
I don't believe it means I sit down with you over coffee and tell you all the sins of my youth etc. lol

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you mean sins...I believe it is speaking about or sins toward them, the person. Esp within the family..we snap and snarl if maybe we aren't feeling too well... we need to fess up and say sorry , I was wrong.
I don't believe it means I sit down with you over coffee and tell you all the sins of my youth etc. lol

"...I sit down with you over coffee and tell you all the sins of my youth...<--- LOL.
I think it's an accountability thing. We are suppose to lift one another up, and if you confess your sins one to another, I think we are more apt to struggle less when you are encouraged by a brother or sister. JMO

Reactions: GodsGrace and Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember when I first went to confession followed by my first Holy Communion clearly although it happened 60 some years ago. I felt good about the whole thing and I always did although with the confession it was difficult at times to get started. I always felt better for having done it.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember when I first went to confession followed by my first Holy Communion clearly although it happened 60 some years ago. I felt good about the whole thing and I always did although with the confession it was difficult at times to get started. I always felt better for having done it.

I'm not going full on Catholic or anything, LoL, but in all honesty I think I would really enjoy it. I was only baptized Catholic and never attended in later years. When I got saved I became Protestant (Assembly, then Baptist, then Pentecostal/ non-denominational). I know I would be queasy about addressing a priest as "father," but other than that, just being able to talk to someone who understood and would listen would have a healing effect. I think it's what many of us often need most; just someone who will listen to our failings and struggles, and accept us in spite of it.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not going full on Catholic or anything, LoL, but in all honesty I think I would really enjoy it. I was only baptized Catholic and never attended in later years. When I got saved I became Protestant (Assembly, then Baptist, then Pentecostal/ non-denominational). I know I would be queasy about addressing a priest as "father," but other than that, just being able to talk to someone who understood and would listen would have a healing effect. I think it's what many of us often need most; just someone who will listen to our failings and struggles, and accept us in spite of it.
My active Catholicism ended when I graduated from high school in 1961. My Pentecostalism began in 1976. There have been several major changes over the years, but I have been growing.

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What do you think it means to confess our sins one to the other?
So far, this thread has not turned into a "my daddy can beat up your daddy" discussion. People who are critical of the Sacrament of Reconciliation usually learn about it from watching movies. It's for Catholics, Orthodox, and I think maybe Anglicans and Lutherans.
Types of confession could include pastoral counselling, confiding to a close friend, baring your soul to a psychiatrist, a psychologist. Prayer is vital, but sometimes we need Christ in another human being. There is nothing sinister, unbiblical, or wrong about reaching out for help when prayer doesn't seem to cut it. The word "absolution" is not in the Bible, but forgiveness of sins certainly is, which is the essence of absolution.

Absolution won't "work" without repentance, and true repentance won't "work" without penance. If you steal a CD at the music shop, you have give it back or pay for it. That is the essence of penance. Sometimes restitution is impossible, like screaming at the idiot who cut you off on the thru-way. But God loves us so much, He accepts our prayers as penance. The priest grants absolution, but it is not fulfilled until penance is complete. The penance for a murderer is to turn himself in to the police. You will never see that in the movies.

I digress. In response to GodsGrace, confessing sins to one another is a point of much debate and diversity. Since the question has been raised:

James 5:16 – James clearly teaches us that we must “confess our sins to one another,” not just privately to God. James 5:16 must be read in the context of James 5:14-15, which is referring to the healing power (both physical and spiritual) of the priests of the Church. Hence, when James says “therefore” in verse 16, he must be referring to the men he was writing about in verses 14 and 15 – these men are the ordained priests of the Church, to whom we must confess our sins.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:D, I think we were both writing our posts at the same time...I just type slowly! LOL

Your post #15 seemed to lead me to think! and I believe that what I posted in #16 was inspired by the Spirit, because for 46 years it still cuts me to the Heart, we as believers need to make the first step to reconcile weather we were right or wrong to heal the rift between others and ourselves! then look to the Father through the Son to reconcile with a pure heart, for forgiveness. I have never found in the Scriptures that we need someone else to cleanse us But the Father! Yes we need to reassure our fellow believers, by expressing our failures to them, for we are to support each other. for the arm can not function without the mind, and the eye can not function without the heart to support the body, we all have our part to make up the whole. So if you find solace in a Priest, that reassures you that you have forgiveness, then that,s OK !

I would Love to Know that My Oldest Brother, Forgave Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No Priest, No Preacher, No Therapist, No Counselor, No One has the Ability to express with complete Assureity that He has! Only God and Savior Has the Ability to Convince me that All has been forgiven, for me it is called Hope!

Your post # 17 is correct, we need to be forthwith with our Family! It seams to keep us together, for through our weakness He and He alone becomes Our Strength as His Body!

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't have too much of a problem with it... I may not understand the Catholic point of view totally. James said to confess your faults (not sins) one to another. Jesus talked about being reconciled with your brother if you have a problem with him.

Whether or not it is really true, the priest or pastor is part of the flock. Hopefully he isn't just advising to say 3 hail marys, give extra in the offering and do 5 summersaults. Hopefully he's going to give some advice.

My Church doesn't have a confession booth. But I can call, meet, email or even text my pastor when I have a problem. I can literally text him and say, "pastor... I messed up! Here's wjat happened..." He gets back to me pretty quick. He's a true pastor who is on the job 24/7.

Doesn't seem that different drom a confession booth. But I don't know the Catholic protocol.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So far, this thread has not turned into a "my daddy can beat up your daddy" discussion. People who are critical of the Sacrament of Reconciliation usually learn about it from watching movies. It's for Catholics, Orthodox, and I think maybe Anglicans and Lutherans.
Types of confession could include pastoral counselling, confiding to a close friend, baring your soul to a psychiatrist, a psychologist. Prayer is vital, but sometimes we need Christ in another human being. There is nothing sinister, unbiblical, or wrong about reaching out for help when prayer doesn't seem to cut it. The word "absolution" is not in the Bible, but forgiveness of sins certainly is, which is the essence of absolution.

Absolution won't "work" without repentance, and true repentance won't "work" without penance. If you steal a CD at the music shop, you have give it back or pay for it. That is the essence of penance. Sometimes restitution is impossible, like screaming at the idiot who cut you off on the thru-way. But God loves us so much, He accepts our prayers as penance. The priest grants absolution, but it is not fulfilled until penance is complete. The penance for a murderer is to turn himself in to the police. You will never see that in the movies.

I digress. In response to GodsGrace, confessing sins to one another is a point of much debate and diversity. Since the question has been raised:

James 5:16 – James clearly teaches us that we must “confess our sins to one another,” not just privately to God. James 5:16 must be read in the context of James 5:14-15, which is referring to the healing power (both physical and spiritual) of the priests of the Church. Hence, when James says “therefore” in verse 16, he must be referring to the men he was writing about in verses 14 and 15 – these men are the ordained priests of the Church, to whom we must confess our sins.

My belief is that the Sacrifice of Jesus was enough for SALVATION, I do not believe in penance for salvation or forgiveness of sins because Jesus already did that..."He remembers our sins no more" "As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us." Psalms 103:12
Growing up in Catholicism all I was told to do after confession was to say like, 5 hail Mary's, an Our Father or 2 and if I remember right, The Act of Contrition, and possibly even the rosary? -Talk about "repetitious prayer", lol.
And yes, I agree that we should recompense those we have hurt/wronged. The bible does say "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18. "As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us." Psalms 103:12.
In Him,
-nancy

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't have too much of a problem with it... I may not understand the Catholic point of view totally.

Doesn't seem that different drom a confession booth. But I don't know the Catholic protocol.
It sounds like you have an awesome pastor. The only difference is absolution. Catholic protocol can be found on line, but it's very personal and intimate experience with the Lord. No amount of text can describe a cleaned up conscience and the healing power of The Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was 52 years ago. There are some things we will carry with us our whole life.
I agree with your post.

If, however, a person likes going to confession we should not try to dissuade him. Talking about it to learn and understand is OK.

I do wonder what Jesus meant in John 20.
It's never mentioned again. Could 1 John be addressing this?

Read post #30 middle Paragraph!
Yes I will carry this the rest of my life! I have responded that if a person finds Solace in repenting to a Priest well that's OK!
As far as John 20, did you mean 1st John 20 or John 20?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

James is saying just before this that if one is sick, the elders should be called and they should pray over the sick person. James 5:14.
He says the prayer offered in faith will restore the sick person, the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins they will be forgiven him.

It seems as though the sick person didn't have to openly confess his sins, but then in the very next verse it says to confess our sins to one another. So I do wonder if the sick person confessed his sins to the elder(s). James 5:16-17

Verses 19-20 seem to be important too.

I do, however, agree with you.

Reactions: Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

Please read my post no. 35 and comment.
Thanks.

Reactions: Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I don't have too much of a problem with it... I may not understand the Catholic point of view totally. James said to confess your faults (not sins) one to another. Jesus talked about being reconciled with your brother if you have a problem with him.

Whether or not it is really true, the priest or pastor is part of the flock. Hopefully he isn't just advising to say 3 hail marys, give extra in the offering and do 5 summersaults. Hopefully he's going to give some advice.

My Church doesn't have a confession booth. But I can call, meet, email or even text my pastor when I have a problem. I can literally text him and say, "pastor... I messed up! Here's wjat happened..." He gets back to me pretty quick. He's a true pastor who is on the job 24/7.

It's the same. You could go just for advice.
You always get a nice blessing too.

I do sound Catholic, don't I??!!

Reactions: Truth and Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Read post #30 middle Paragraph!
Yes I will carry this the rest of my life! I have responded that if a person finds Solace in repenting to a Priest well that's OK!
As far as John 20, did you mean 1st John 20 or John 20?
I do believe, after all your brother saw on the battlefield, that he most probably forgave not only you, but everyone who ever hurt him. The ugliness makes one realize how precious everything and everyone is. It makes all the small stuff become so insignificant.

As to John...I meant
John 20:22-23

He's saying that some sins could be retained. What does this mean? Could it mean that we don't have to forgive sins that are not accompanied by sorrow?
Could it be that the Catholics are right and we should be confessing to those that came after the Apostles and were breathed upon by the Holy Spirit?

Then we go to 1 John 1:9 and John says if we confess our sins, God is faithful and righteous to forgive our sins.

So what does confess mean?
Does it mean just to speak?
Does it mean to speak to a pastor that has been blessed as the Apostles were?

I do believe that it's God forgiving the sin...even a Catholic will tell you this and this is what they believe...but so then why would it be necessary to confess to a priest? I know all the doctrinal reasons why..but, as you can see, I'm not sure about any of this.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My belief is that the Sacrifice of Jesus was enough for SALVATION, I do not believe in penance for salvation or forgiveness of sins because Jesus already did that..."He remembers our sins no more" "As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us." Psalms 103:12
Growing up in Catholicism all I was told to do after confession was to say like, 5 hail Mary's, an Our Father or 2 and if I remember right, The Act of Contrition, and possibly even the rosary? -Talk about "repetitious prayer", lol.
And yes, I agree that we should recompense those we have hurt/wronged. The bible does say "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18. "As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us." Psalms 103:12.
In Him,
-nancy
One thing I learned for myself with the repetitious Hail Marys and Our Father for penance was don't do them in repetitious way. I remember when I caught myself on it. I had gotten into the habit of saying the memorized prayers as fast as I could to get on with things a kid wanted to do and I was pretty fast. God tweaked my heart about it once when I came out of the confessional and went into the sanctuary to kneel and pray the prayers. I slowed down and thought about every word I was saying every time that I repeated it. It was one of those great turn arounds in my life. I never went back to speed praying.

Give God the glory!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
James is saying just before this that if one is sick, the elders should be called and they should pray over the sick person. James 5:14.
He says the prayer offered in faith will restore the sick person, the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins they will be forgiven him.

It seems as though the sick person didn't have to openly confess his sins, but then in the very next verse it says to confess our sins to one another. So I do wonder if the sick person confessed his sins to the elder(s). James 5:16-17

Verses 19-20 seem to be important too.

I do, however, agree with you.

Good point. It does sound a little bit as if confession is more than " against the local body of people...but sin in general maybe. Hummm
Now you have got me musing upon that.

I wonder what our friend @bbyrd009 would say about it...he has strong views on "confessing."

But James does seem to blow a hole in the general mainline stand that we "just" confess our sins to God "in the closet" in private?
. . . 5b1d63f0139fe40d3b792358a7e3b921.jpg

Reactions: bbyrd009

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Where are you @bbyrd009 ?
What are your views on confession?

I don't really mean asking for forgiveness of someone...
More about confessing our sins to God.

I wouldn't think about this so much, but it does seem that Jesus passed on HIS authority to forgive sins to the Apostles in John 20:23.

Reactions: Truth and Helen