Coronavirus spreading

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As proposed in this and and another Topic, we can't simply stop this "plague" in it's tracks. Rev. 6:8 says 1/4 of the earth would be affected, -- which is puzzling is that 71% of the earth is water, leaving some 29% land. But 9% of that is Antartica, leaving some 20% to the rest of the nations.

So statistically, that leaves us with ALL the EARTH'S NATIONS under the risk of the Corona Virus.

... and there's no sign of it stopping,
Bobby Jo

The Coronavirus is bad, but I don't believe it's the apocalypse.

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems very, very unlikely to be anything like the Spanish Flu pandemic. But it does kill sometimes. Which is why we need to take it more seriously than it's been taken by the WH so far.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This time, he made the weapon, and then gave it to the democrats. Covering up is never a good idea.
You are accusing Trump of making the coronavirus? You must be democrat.

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, unfortunately anything and everything is now a weapon against Trump.

Barbarian observes:
This time, he made the weapon, and then gave it to the democrats. Covering up is never a good idea.

You are accusing Trump of making the coronavirus?

What a silly idea. Trump didn't engineer the virus; he engineered the cover-up. In cases like this, trying to restrict information from the public is the very worst thing to do. That's the weapon he gave the democrats, not the virus. Remember when we had some cases of ebola in the U.S., Obama immediately put a qualified epidemiologist in charge of the response and as a spokesman, and made sure there were adequate resources to deal with it.

And he got a lot of credit from Americans when the outbreak was isolated and ended.

This time, Trump had cut funding for CDC, appointed a political hack to keep people from knowing what was going on, and lied about the seriousness of the outbreak.

Not surprisingly, the public response was negative.

That's how things work. Go figure.

Reactions: Justadude

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not just my take on it...

Trump Aide Calls Coronavirus Response 'Complete Chaos'

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The U.S. Is Struggling to Contain Coronavirus. Voters Have Taken Notice

Approval for Trump’s, CDC’s handling of the outbreak continues to drop
Following an uptick of cases of the coronavirus in the United States and reports of delays and errors in diagnostic tests, new Morning Consult data suggests that voters are becoming increasingly critical of the government’s response, as approval of the Trump administration’s handling of the situation has fallen once again.

According to a Feb. 28-March 1 survey, fewer than half (49 percent) of voters approve of President Donald Trump’s response to the outbreak, down from 56 percent who said the same in a Feb. 24-26 survey — a decline fueled by a 9-point drop among independents and 7-point drop among Democrats.
The U.S. Is Struggling to Contain Coronavirus. Voters Have Taken Notice

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which virus is deadlier?
The coronavirus seems to be more deadly than the flu — so far.

On average, seasonal flu strains kill about 0.1 percent of people who become infected. The 1918 flu had an unusually high fatality rate, around 2 percent. Because it was so contagious, that flu killed tens of millions of people.

Early estimates of the coronavirus death rate from China, the epicenter of the outbreak, have been around 2 percent. But a new report on 1,099 cases from many parts of China, published on Friday in The New England Journal of Medicine, finds a lower rate: 1.4 percent.

The coronavirus death rate may be even lower, if — as most experts suspect — there are many mild or symptom-free cases that have not been detected.

The true death rate could turn out to be similar to that of a severe seasonal flu, below 1 percent, according to an editorial published in the journal by Dr. Anthony S. Fauci and Dr. H. Clifford Lane, of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and Dr. Robert R. Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

But even a disease with a relatively low death rate can take a huge toll if enormous numbers of people catch it. As of Sunday, there were about 87,000 coronavirus cases and 3,000 deaths. This week, for the first time, the number of new cases outside China exceeded the number within the country.
How Does the Coronavirus Compare With the Flu?

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And more reason to be suspicious...
  • The CDC has reportedly removed the number of people tested for COVID-19 from its official website.
  • Congressman Mark Pocan sent a letter to the CDC demanding answers.
  • The move has fuelled fears of a coverup to hide the true spread of the virus.
A U.S. Congressman is demanding answers after official authorities appear to have hidden coronavirus figures.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) no longer displays the number of patients tested for COVID-19 on its official website. The data appears to have been removed overnight between March 1st and March 2nd.

This lack of transparency is also why it’s so difficult to come up with a clear fatality rate.

At the time of writing, the number of patients tested for COVID-19 in the U.S. is still not published on the CDC website. And the number of published deaths (two) lags figures widely reported elsewhere (six).
Congressman demands answers
Mark Pocan, U.S. Representative for Wisconsin’s 2nd congressional district, wrote to the CDC Director Dr. Robert R. Redfield asking why the authorities removed the figures.
'Coronavirus Coverup' - Is America Hiding the Real Scale of Outbreak?

To be fair, it appears that Iran is also covering up:

At least 210 people in Iran have died as a result of the new coronavirus disease, sources in the country's health system have told BBC Persian.
Most of the victims are from the capital, Tehran, and the city of Qom, where cases of Covid-19 first emerged.
The figure is six times higher than the official death toll of 34 given by the health ministry earlier on Friday.
Ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour insisted it was being transparent and accused the BBC of spreading lies.
It comes after a member of parliament for Qom accused the authorities of a cover-up and the US expressed concern that they may not be sharing information.
Coronavirus kills 210 in Iran - hospital sources

But we're supposed to be a free society, and they are not.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Barbarian observes:

What a silly idea. Trump didn't engineer the virus; he engineered the cover-up. In cases like this, trying to restrict information from the public is the very worst thing to do. That's the weapon he gave the democrats, not the virus. Remember when we had some cases of ebola in the U.S., Obama immediately put a qualified epidemiologist in charge of the response and as a spokesman, and made sure there were adequate resources to deal with it.

And he got a lot of credit from Americans when the outbreak was isolated and ended.

This time, Trump had cut funding for CDC, appointed a political hack to keep people from knowing what was going on, and lied about the seriousness of the outbreak.

Not surprisingly, the public response was negative.

That's how things work. Go figure.
Trump is not as political as Obama, but a better chess player.

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Trump is not as political as Obama

He lies constantly. He panders to bigots. He spends our money, and money he hasn't yet gotten from us. He reflexively tries to hide the spread of the virus in the United States by appointing a political hack to muzzle any information he doesn't want us to know. Maybe you don't know what "political' means?

but a better chess player.

Yes, he intended to look like a moron when he lied about the virus in the U.S., just before one of his epidemiology people corrected him publicly. Brilliant move.

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
It happens every year.
No, an outbreak of this strain of the virus does not occur every year.

It's a different strain every year.
Some years are worse than others.
These annual epidemics are estimated to result in about 290 000 to 650 000 deaths every year.
You want to panic, then panic.
Do you have a source for your info?

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Well when they get a vaccine they need to be affordable, and possibly even the government should step in and pay for vaccines for those that are less fortunate, as we are talking about people's lives, if a lot of people die because they cannot afford to see a doctor, that's just not right.
Why, that sounds like socialized medicine! Shouldn't we let the free market determine the proper price for the vaccine? ;)

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Coronavirus is bad, but I don't believe it's the apocalypse.

Josho, you mentioned before that this virus maybe the product of bio-engineering or a even produced as a biological weapon.
Today I was in a local vitamins/herb shop/store. One of the owners told me that a few days ago a person was in the shop who was now clear of any symptoms of this Coronavirus. He said that this person said it definitely was not a natural new virus strain. He thought it was man-made as it had peculiar proteins structures-chains attach to a natural virus structure. He said that this person began having a shortness of breath only hours of feeling off. What virus does that..? I was also told that this person had some medical background.

I have always been thinking from the start that this was man-made, out of a lab, and purposely directed on specific populations. I also have been logging down how folks have acquired it and then what occurs after they do have it and their symptoms. This virus also apparently can disguise itself and the host can show zero symptoms, and then it can return back within days. This is not a common or typical virus strain.

APAK

Reactions: Josho

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
The administration’s continued dismissal of the severity of the situation has also exacerbated concerns that it has not taken the threat seriously enough – and that it is already in a weakened position because of funding and personnel cuts to health programs.

The Trump administration has repeatedly proposed significant cuts to health and science agencies, including in the 2021 budget, in which he called for a close to 10% reduction in Health and Human Services funding overall and a nearly 16% slash at the CDC.

While Congress has ignored those proposed cuts and instead increased funding to the CDC and National Institutes of Health, some initiatives aimed at battling epidemics have been cut or eliminated.

In 2018, when the White House declined to provide the agency with additional resources, the CDC downsized by 80% programs designed to prevent the spread of infectious diseases. The same year, the administration shuttered the National Security Council’s global health security unit.

Robert O’Brien, Trump’s national security adviser, has suggested such cuts were part of a “streamlining” of the NSC. But former officials have expressed concern.

“This is why you have a National Security Council,” former Pentagon speechwriter John Gans, who wrote a book about the NSC, told NBC News this week.

Experts told the Guardian public health funding issues predate the Trump administration.

“It’s a lot of peoples’ fault,” Benjamin said, adding that the current administration has “exacerbated” the matter.

“Any time something new like this happens, it’s going to be messy,” the APHA executive director said of the coronavirus. But “several of the administration’s actions have undermined our preparedness.”
Coronavirus: Trump's mixed messages 'undermines public trust', experts say
Cut the government! Cut the government!

Outbreak happens

WHERE'S THE GOVERNMENT??!!??!!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...He lies constantly. He panders to bigots.
What a laugh. You are accusing more than half the US population of bigotry, which means you have no credibility. And you are blind to the Leftist bigotry against Christians, Christianity, and conservatism. Not just bigotry but PURE HATRED. Satanic hatred.

Speaking of lies, each and every Democratic presidential candidate has been lying through his or her teeth. But you have no problem with Leftist lies. That's called MAJOR HYPOCRISY my friend.

Reactions: historyb

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
I'm not an expert so I can't say if that kind of event should be canceled or not.
It'll depend on how much the virus has spread by then. At the moment, I'm optimistic that we'll go

I did find it interesting though that Trump went to India to speak in an arena with over 100,000 people. So far there's been only one or two cases in India and not in that area; but I wondered if that was wise.
It was probably okay.

If your child's team cancels that event, there's more to it than the disappointment. These things have an economic impact too. I read that a professional soccer match was held in an empty area in Italy. Some are wondering if the Olympics will go forward in Japan. Hong Kong has already seen such a reduction in people spending there, businesses are at risk of failing. Their solution (if it works) is to give every permanent resident money so businesses don't go bust.

Article here: Subscribe to read | Financial Times
For sure, if the outbreak continues we could see some major global disruptions.

It doesn't encourage rational discussions, that's for sure. It's almost as if they love him so much, everything else should be sacrifice on the altar of his worship. That's how fascism can rise. I don't think we're that far gone yet, but there are some people who seem to hate the press and anyone else who expresses any criticism. I guess freedom of the press and free speech aren't that important to them. They may even think Congress should rubber stamp everything Trump wants.

It doesn't inspire confidence in me, that's for sure.
That Pence has a well-documented history of ignoring recommendations from the medical community in the midst of an outbreak makes him one of the last people I want to see in charge of our response to this outbreak. As @Yehren has been saying, they're treating this as more of a political/PR issue rather than one of public health.

I was wondering the other day if maybe "Trump Derangement Syndrome" is real -- but found, not in people who oppose him, but in people who say some very odd things trying to support him.

February 11 -- Hank Kunnerman was saying God would protect the US from this virus because Trump was President.

Hank Kunneman: God Will Protect the U.S. From the Coronavirus Because of Trump | Right Wing Watch

During services at his Lord of Hosts church in Omaha, Nebraska, on Sunday, right-wing pastor Hank Kunneman proclaimed that God would protect the United States from the coronavirus because of President Donald Trump and his administration.

“Listen to the words that I speak to you at this moment, says the Living God,” Kunneman prophesied. “Why do you fear, United States? For I have spoke to you before, and I speak to you again. I have extended and opened a window of mercy to this nation at this time. Therefore the virus that they speak of, the prognostication, the diagnosis—my mercy is the quarantine that shall be greater than what they have spoken to you, United States.”

“Because of the administration that stands in this land, who honors me, who honors the covenants of your forefathers and of the Constitution, and because they have aligned themselves with Israel, and because they have sided on the right side of life—life in the womb, life given outside of the womb—therefore I give life to this nation, and I give mercy,” Kunneman said, on behalf of God. “Do not fear this virus, says the Spirit of God.”

Their tune has changed now. Now they're praying for God to contain the virus in the US and elsewhere. I seem to remember that Pence thought prayer would solve the AIDS crisis in Indiana.

February 25 Brenda Kunneman Commands a ‘Supernatural Inoculation’ to Cure the World of Coronavirus | Right Wing Watch

While the Centers for Disease Control warned today that the spread of the virus in the United States is now all but inevitable, last night Kunneman and his wife Brenda held a “Prophetic Pulse” conference call in which Brenda rebuked the virus and commanded a “supernatural inoculation of the spirit” to come on the Earth and “bring forth healing and a cure.”

“Right now, we speak over this situation with this coronavirus,” she proclaimed. “We say to that virus that the hands of the Lord have come to clap against you and destroy you, and we say that it shall be quarantined by the mercy of the living God.”

“It’s being contained in Europe and Heavenly Father, it’s being contained in various parts of the world,” Brenda Kunneman continued to prophesy. “While they say cases are popping up, we speak a holy containment and a quarantine by the Holy Spirit to go across the land. And we say, ‘Lord, Let the angels of the most high go forth to be commissioned, to walk, and to benefit those that are heirs of salvation.’ But even those that are not part of the covenant, Lord, we ask for your mercy to be upon them and to drive this virus out into the dark places.”

What was she saying really? That it was already being contained by God in Europe? Did people there pray to God more there than Americans had? First the Kunnemans said there was nothing to worry about for Americans as long as Trump was in the White House. Are they losing some of their faith in Trump and going back to faith in God?
How utterly ridiculous. This is not the time for magical thinking. It's a virus, it doesn't care.

Reactions: Giuliano

Justadude

Feb 25, 2020
Colorado
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Agree. If the government doesn't step up to help poor people, this kind of health problem only gets worse and worse.

There may never be a vaccine. One may be possible, but it still could take a long time. Sars and Mer still don't have a vaccine. When Trump talked about having a vaccine in a few months, he was blowing hot air. That doesn't make things better. It undermines his credibility in the long term.
Plus, even if they do develop a vaccine it won't be ready for widespread use until next year (at best). But by then the virus will have evolved and the vaccine will be far less effective.

Reactions: Giuliano