Correlation between sin and sickness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In the beginning, in the Garden of Eden, there was no sin and no sickness. After the fall, sickness and death happened. Micah 6 affirmed this positive correlation:

13 So also I will make you sick, striking you down, Desolating you because of your sins.
Jesus spoke to some scribes in Mark 2:

8b “Why do you question these things in your hearts? 9 Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Rise, take up your bed and walk’?
Jesus healed the paralytic by forgiving his sins.

On the other hand, Jesus stated a non-correlation in John 9:

1 As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” 3 Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.
Let proposition S1 = if a person sins, he will get sick.

S1 is false, i.e., S1 is not universally true for everyone without exceptions.

Generally speaking, there is a positive correlation between sin and sickness. In specific cases, however, the correlation could be 0.

Reactions: Nancy

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the beginning, in the Garden of Eden, there was no sin and no sickness. After the fall, sickness and death happened. Micah 6 affirmed this positive correlation:

Generally speaking, there is a positive correlation between sin and sickness. In specific cases, however, the correlation could be 0.
Could it be both?
You said: A person sins and they get sick. what kind of sickness are we talking about? A man born blind could have multiple meaning 1)he is physically blind. 2)he is spiritually blind. Can a man be physically blind but not sick spiritually? Meaning reconciled unto God even though he is physically blind? Maybe a blind man with no eye sight (literally) because of his struggles and shortcomings and vulnerability has grown to exceed sight spiritually of those spiritually blind but have their physical eye sight.

The other: it wasn’t because of this man’s sin that this one was born blind but so the power of God could be seen. Does that eliminate if you sin you become sick(broken?)? Or …the punishment is not for sins sake but that the Mercy and the Grace of God, the power of God to forgive sin. “I will heal their disease.” Consider the vessels of destruction and what if God willing to suffer the vessel built unto wrath, that He might also show His mercy.

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My thoughts . . .

Someone could be sick/injured simply because this is a fallen world.

Someone could be sick/injured as a consequence of sin.

Someone could be sick/injured as a chastening from the Lord.

And I don't think it's a fruitful pasttime trying to determine which is which, especially in others. In all instances we are to trust in the Lord and do the best we can to follow Him.

Much love!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We are also subject to OTHER'S sins as well, through no fault of our own.
Jesus did say many times after healing someone say "go, and sin no more".

Here is a short article that points out several reasons, from Is Satan always the cause of sickness? - Christian Research Institute

By Hank Hanegraaff

"If you tune in to Christian television on virtually any given day, you can hear faith healers screaming at satanic spirits of sicknesses' ranging from asthma to arthritis. But is Satan really behind every sickness?

First, while Scripture makes it clear that Satan is often the agent of sickness, he is not always the author of sickness. Sometimes God is. For example, in Exodus 4:11, God Himself asks the rhetorical question “Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or dumb? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the Lord?” In 2 Kings 15:5, we read of the Lord striking King Azariah with a skin disease from which he suffered till the day he died. And in Luke, the angel of the Lord came directly from God’s presence to strike Zechariah with an affliction because he doubted God’s word regarding the birth of John the Baptist (Luke 1:19–20).

Furthermore, we live in a cursed creation in which aging is the primary sickness of humanity. Thus, humanity’s fall into a life of constant sin terminated by death, rather than Satan, is by far the primary cause of sickness. As we get older, we all get wrinkles, some of us need glasses, our muscles get shorter, and eventually we all die. Since the fall of humankind, both the righteous and the unrighteous have been subject to sickness and disease. Job, who is affirmed in Scripture as a great man of faith, was covered with painful sores from the soles of his feet to the top of his head (Job 2:7). Paul confessed to the Galatians that he preached the gospel to them for the first time because of a “bodily illness” (Galatians 4:13 nasb). Timothy was called Paul’s “son in the faith” (1 Timothy 1:2), yet he suffered from frequent stomach problems (1 Timothy 5:23). And Elisha was blessed with a “double-portion anointing,” yet he suffered and died a sick man (2 Kings 2:9–12; 13:14).

Finally, it is crucial to note that this world is under the sovereign control of God, not Satan. Thus, we can rest assured that even in sickness and suffering, all things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). For the child of God, the hope is not perfect health in this lifetime but a resurrected body in the life to come. As John the apostle so beautifully put it, “‘There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.’ He who was seated on the throne said, ‘I am making everything new!’” (Revelation 21:4–5)."

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose that, for example, one commits adultery and/or fornication, they increase the probability that they will pick up HIV, chlamydia, syphilis, the clap, or a gunshot wound from an offended spouse. So in that respect, there is some causal correlation between sin and health problems.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone could be sick/injured simply because this is a fallen world.
Which is a more spiritual way of saying, "Sh......hhtuff happens".

Though I guess that's the same as answering the "who sinned" question in John 9:2 with, "Adam did. It's all his fault. Him and that girl Eve are to blame."

Fascinating how Jesus sidestepped the question altogether. Is “It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was so that the works of God might be displayed in him" applicable to all situations? Potentially all?

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fascinating how Jesus sidestepped the question altogether. Is “It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was so that the works of God might be displayed in him" applicable to all situations? Potentially all?
All who are predestined to be conformed to Christ's image, I think!

Much love!

Reactions: Lambano

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a connection between sin and sickness.