Could the disciples have lost their salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This "other half", please point me to where I can read about it.

And I appreciate your explanation. You are speaking then of two spirits given mankind at Pentecost by God, one, the Holy Spirit, and the other, a spirit towards evil. Is this right? One we would call the Holy Spirit, and the other "the spirit of God", which makes evil. Am I understanding correctly?

I'd very much appreciate if you would tell me what passage or passages in the Bible teach this.

Much love!
Mark
The other spirit already existed.

2 Timothy 3:2-4,8 KJV
[2] For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, [3] Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, [4] Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; [8]

Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

Tecarta Bible

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This "other half", please point me to where I can read about it.

And I appreciate your explanation. You are speaking then of two spirits given mankind at Pentecost by God, one, the Holy Spirit, and the other, a spirit towards evil. Is this right? One we would call the Holy Spirit, and the other "the spirit of God", which makes evil. Am I understanding correctly?

I'd very much appreciate if you would tell me what passage or passages in the Bible teach this.

Much love!
Mark
I did point you to where you can read it...I quoted it from Acts 2. Which I am happy to quote again here, in red:
The account of the prophecy of Joel the prophet confirmed by Peter at Pentecost was only Holy, but only holy to those who were amazed...and also to you. But there was also the evil spirit and the "mockers", and Peter also answered them. But you have not considered it fully to include not only the Holy Spirit but also "Blood and fire and vapor of smoke", and "darkness." Thus, you have only considered what the spirit of God does with "whoever calls on the name of the Lord", but have completely left out those who do not and what the spirit of God does with them...just as it was even then, beginning with the mockers.
As for your question of clarification...we must be careful. This is already a subject of great offense and emotion, and our language (all language) has the power to do great harm or to do great good.

First, God is the source, the power of all things. There is no other. So, when we say "other" spirits, we must consider that all are wheeled from God's hand, whether they appear to be good or evil in their manifestation or not, as both being good. God is good, and He is doing a good work. However, and this is where the divide comes...when that which God has meant for good is used in the hands of evil spirits or evil men, the same acts are evil (just as in the parable analogy of the good policeman speeding to catch a speeder).

Consider darkness: In God, there is no darkness, and yet He created both light and darkness, wherein things are either manifest as good (and of God) or as evil and not born of God, but born of the darkness. Which could only happen apart from God, leaving God only holy. Therefore, He drove man out of His presence, where the firstborn of good and evil were born into the world. However, the purpose, though fully intentional by God, is not to create or produce evil...but rather to draw it out into the light in cleansing. The house of God is being cleansed; that what was created "good" even "very good", would become perfect even as God is perfect (Matthew 5:48).

Thus, when God promised to pour out His spirit upon all flesh, He did not mean that He would pour it out upon all that was perfect already. But rather, that by pouring His spirit out upon all that was not yet perfect, all that would remain after applying His great power (a consuming fire), would be perfect. At which time we whom have been cleansed in the light of His spirit, not succumbing to evil, return to Him. So then, He makes this promise: "But he who endures to the end will be saved."

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But ViJ our part is the only part that we should be concerned - it's our part after all - namely to cultivate the divine seed and if it grows and bears fruit, acknowledge that to God who gave the increase belongs all glory.

1 Corinthians 3:6-8
I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.​

Understand it takes more than saying a prayer once and then moving on with life as if nothing ever happened. Would agree many have been deceived by this idea, where if you just say and believe then you are good and can go back to the world as if nothing ever happened. Yes there are countless verses of warning to bring any deception of such, as being deceived into nothing changes but rather instead there should be evident fruit of the Spirit of God present. He said you will know them by their fruit of the Spirit or by their works of the flesh...both manifest and given in detail in the word. God Himself attributes the fruit yielded to the Spirit and not the flesh. Yes, planting and watering but twice there Paul (inspired by the Holy Spirit) said neither were anything but God who giveth the increase. John 7:16-18 tells us how to spot false gospels “Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. [17] If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. [18] He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.”

Verse 18. Is it of man or of God? What do we speak and harp on daily? Man’s part or God’s ...the very reason they would not enter into His rest. Even humility can be voluntary and forced
Colossians 2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

Or humility which comes from God AND is a work of God and not man. Acts 8:32-33 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth: [33] In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

2 Corinthians 12:20-21
[20] For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults: [21] And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

“...Lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, ...” ...doubtfully a fun experience.

The fruit of the Spirit and all those things added in (2 Peter 1:4-9) ...a life does not return to the world after saying a one time prayer, but there is a face-to-face relationship that turns everything upside down.

“So concerned with what is our part when we should be more concerned with His part since it is the ONLY part that overcomes” still stand at HIS part is the only part that overcomes. We are the weak. He is the strong. We submit.

Hebrews 7:17-19
[17] For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec. [18] For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof. [19] For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did ; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

“...for the weakness and UNPROFITABLENESS there of.” —the carnal law ....for it made nothing perfect. Was unprofitable. But a better hope did make perfect...HOPE in Christ by which we draw near to God. All the fruit is of the Spirit and therefore perfect and established by and in God. Why not let this fruit of the Spirit of God be the focal point rather man’s part, man’s part which without the Holy Spirit is by nature carnal?

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The other spirit already existed.

2 Timothy 3:2-4,8 KJV
[2] For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, [3] Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, [4] Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; [8]

Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

Tecarta Bible

You're talking about the nature of some men. Not a third spirit.... Spirit of the person, Holy Spirit and whatever.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Understand it takes more than saying a prayer once and then moving on with life as if nothing ever happened. Would agree many have been deceived by this idea, where if you just say and believe then you are good and can go back to the world as if nothing ever happened. Yes there are countless verses of warning to bring any deception of such, as being deceived into nothing changes but rather instead there should be evident fruit of the Spirit of God present. He said you will know them by their fruit of the Spirit or by their works of the flesh...both manifest and given in detail in the word. God Himself attributes the fruit yielded to the Spirit and not the flesh. Yes, planting and watering but twice there Paul (inspired by the Holy Spirit) said neither were anything but God who giveth the increase. John 7:16-18 tells us how to spot false gospels “Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. [17] If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. [18] He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.”

Verse 18. Is it of man or of God? What do we speak and harp on daily? Man’s part or God’s ...the very reason they would not enter into His rest. Even humility can be voluntary and forced
Colossians 2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

Or humility which comes from God AND is a work of God and not man. Acts 8:32-33 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth: [33] In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

2 Corinthians 12:20-21
[20] For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults: [21] And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

“...Lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, ...” ...doubtfully a fun experience.

The fruit of the Spirit and all those things added in (2 Peter 1:4-9) ...a life does not return to the world after saying a one time prayer, but there is a face-to-face relationship that turns everything upside down.

“So concerned with what is our part when we should be more concerned with His part since it is the ONLY part that overcomes” still stand at HIS part is the only part that overcomes. We are the weak. He is the strong. We submit.

Hebrews 7:17-19
[17] For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec. [18] For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof. [19] For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did ; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

“...for the weakness and UNPROFITABLENESS there of.” —the carnal law ....for it made nothing perfect. Was unprofitable. But a better hope did make perfect...HOPE in Christ by which we draw near to God. All the fruit is of the Spirit and therefore perfect and established by and in God. Why not let this fruit of the Spirit of God be the focal point rather man’s part which without the Holy Spirit is by nature carnal?

Born again means nature. It means works in salvation by natural outcome. A natural desire.

It all begins with gaining knowledge to the point of believing faith the point of repentance. Then living salvation.

If the works are not there then salvation is not there.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Born again means nature. It means works in salvation by natural outcome. A natural desire.

It all begins with gaining knowledge to the point of believing faith the point of repentance. Then living salvation.

If the works are not there then salvation is not there.

Works in himself(flesh)= Vanity.
Works in Christ(Spirit)= Hope.

Romans 8:20-21
[20] For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, [21] Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

2 Corinthians 10:3-5
[3] For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: [4] (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds [5] Casting down imaginations, and every high(vain)thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Romans 8:4-8
[4] That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. [5] For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. [6] For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. [7] Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. [8] So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Works in himself(flesh)= Vanity.
Works in Christ(Spirit)= Hope.

Romans 8:20-21
[20] For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, [21] Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

2 Corinthians 10:3-5
[3] For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: [4] (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds [5] Casting down imaginations, and every high(vain)thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Romans 8:4-8
[4] That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. [5] For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. [6] For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. [7] Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. [8] So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

If you mean works for salvation. No value.

If you mean works because of salvation, those count toward rewards.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did point you to where you can read it...I quoted it from Acts 2. Which I am happy to quote again here, in red:

The account of the prophecy of Joel the prophet confirmed by Peter at Pentecost was only Holy, but only holy to those who were amazed...and also to you. But there was also the evil spirit and the "mockers", and Peter also answered them. But you have not considered it fully to include not only the Holy Spirit but also "Blood and fire and vapor of smoke", and "darkness." Thus, you have only considered what the spirit of God does with "whoever calls on the name of the Lord", but have completely left out those who do not and what the spirit of God does with them...just as it was even then, beginning with the mockers.

I'm sorry, color me obtuse, but what in these words speaks of a spirit of God given for unholiness?

Joel 2:29-31
And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit. And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke. The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and terrible day of the Lord come.

God will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth. Those wonders, seen before the Day of the Lord, will include blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke, the sun turned to darkness, and the moon into blood.

Firstly, why would we not think of this as something we see? Revelation and Ezekiel and others speak of these things as well. No need to re-interpret them into something that's not being said. Do you have a special spiritual understanding of this place in Joel that tells you to take it as more than just what it says?

I truly do not understand how you get the one from the other no matter how many times you state that it is so.

Quoting the verse, and telling me it means something else just doesn't work for me.

As for your question of clarification...we must be careful.

Careful to ask for clarification? Isn't misunderstanding what divides us? Either we misunderstand each other, or we misunderstand Scripture, otherwise we would be in agreement in all.

This is already a subject of great offense and emotion, and our language (all language) has the power to do great harm or to do great good.

Then I would say be careful, and be direct, and not use charged language.

First, God is the source, the power of all things. There is no other. So, when we say "other" spirits, we must consider that all are wheeled from God's hand, whether they appear to be good or evil in their manifestation or not, as both being good. God is good, and He is doing a good work. However, and this is where the divide comes...when that which God has meant for good is used in the hands of evil spirits or evil men, the same acts are evil (just as in the parable analogy of the good policeman speeding to catch a speeder).

Again, the "speeding" policeman, if in lawful pursuit, is not "speeding". There is a difference. So this example, for me, serves no purpose other to support an assertion that God's acts are unlawful.

There is an interesting discussion about righteousness. Is God righteous because everything He does is right? Or is righteousness right because God does it? Do you know the answer?

God made me, but I chose sin. Let no one say when they are tempted that God tempts them. God is not tempted by sin, and tempts no man with sin. We sin because we choose to, not because God chose for us to.

Consider darkness: In God, there is no darkness,
Agreed, absolutely.

and yet He created both light and darkness, wherein things are either manifest as good (and of God) or as evil and not born of God, but born of the darkness.

When you say, "born of the darkness", what exactly do you mean?

That there is something about "darkness" that causes sin?

To my understanding, all sin is the result of creatures created by God, and given the opportunity to choose, having chosen to sin, separate from God, not intended or approved or supported by God. Used by God, yes, but credit belonging only to the sinner.

where the firstborn of good and evil were born into the world.

What does this mean?

However, the purpose, though fully intentional by God, is not to create or produce evil...but rather to draw it out into the light in cleansing. The house of God is being cleansed; that what was created "good" even "very good", would become perfect even as God is perfect (Matthew 5:48).

Thus, when God promised to pour out His spirit upon all flesh, He did not mean that He would pour it out upon all that was perfect already. But rather, that by pouring His spirit out upon all that was not yet perfect, all that would remain after applying His great power (a consuming fire), would be perfect. At which time we whom have been cleansed in the light of His spirit, not succumbing to evil, return to Him. So then, He makes this promise: "But he who endures to the end will be saved."

What you are saying here seems to me rather general, and I'm having a difficult time relating what you are saying to this idea of God given 2 spirits to man at Pentecost, one the Holy Spirit, the other the "spirit of God", the one causing good to flourish, the other causing evil to flourish.

Here you seem to be writing about God putting His Spirit into the world the make a separation of the just from the unjust. What is the role of the "spirit of God"?

Much love!
mark

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you mean works for salvation. No value.

If you mean works because of salvation, those count toward rewards.

Works because of salvation IS fruit given of the Spirit of God? Where there is no rebirth there is no Life, yet one remainth under the baggarly elements of the carnal law which can not make perfect and is bondage and the end death. Galatians 4:9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Works because of salvation IS fruit given of the Spirit of God? Where there is no rebirth there is no Life, yet one remainth under the baggarly elements of the carnal law which can not make perfect and is bondage? Galatians 4:9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

If by fruit you mean God give new nature compels us to do good works, I agree.

But nothing you said denies the reality of the Bible stated war for natures. And that no matter how much we struggle we will still sin because of flesh.

Our flesh is not glorified until the rapture.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe it is how your wording things for me.

It sounds like you're pushing total sanctification.

Don’t see rapture the same but do agree with the rest of what you said. Thank you. Completely do not mean to imply flesh is glorified but instead is put under His feet. Do see this war between flesh and spirit with the flesh always trying to bring back captivity and bondage. But also see that He led captivity captive and now the flesh has no choice or say but to submit to Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

As with Paul’s thorn in the flesh the messenger of satan served Paul being exalted above measure, not Paul serving the messenger of satan. Same as Job.
James 5:10-11 Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience. [11] Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don’t see rapture the same but do agree with the rest of what you said. Thank you. Completely do not mean to imply flesh is glorified but instead is put under His feet. Do see this war between flesh and spirit with the flesh always trying to bring back captivity and bondage. But also see that He led captivity captive and now the flesh has no choice or say but to submit to Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

As with Paul’s thorn in the flesh the messenger of satan served Paul being exalted above measure, not Paul serving the messenger of satan. Same as Job.
James 5:10-11 Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience. [11] Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

Not clear on a couple points but the thorn in Paul's flesh were his eyes. He had horrible vision, which was a real problem for him.

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... Why not let this fruit of the Spirit of God be the focal point rather man’s part, man’s part which without the Holy Spirit is by nature carnal?
It seems to me that you 've put a lot of work into that post, not counting the hours you 've spent in the past praying (watering) and studying (planting) those verses, and though you are downplaying the importance of those works by your words, the effort you have just expended proves otherwise.

Having said that, downplaying the value of our works is in itself a spiritual work (I've said that in another post a few days ago) and despite having the appearance of disagreeing with you, I actually agree with what you said and the spirit with which you spoke.

Praying (watering), studying scripture (planting), abstaining from sin (uprooting weeds, pruning, digging the ground), doing works of charity (putting out leaves) are all necessary works if we are to bring forth fruit. No doubt, without the energy of the sun, I mean the Grace of God, no growth, no flowering and no bearing of fruit is possible.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not clear on a couple points but the thorn in Paul's flesh were his eyes. He had horrible vision, which was a real problem for him.

Rather than go into a debate over what the thorn was ...either way would it not be the same in: a thorn was given to keep Paul weak and always in submission to God’s grace is sufficient. Rather than Paul being lifted above the measure which is Christ and no longer in need of grace.

Proverbs 30:7-9
[7] Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die: [8] Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: [9] Lest I be full, and deny thee , and say, Who is the Lord ? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain .

Philippians 2:16
[16] Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.

Last edited: