Cults And Their Faults

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Cult worship history and observations:

- Cult worship is a term used to describe the devotion or veneration of a person, object, idea, or movement that is considered to be unorthodox, extreme, or harmful by mainstream society.
- Cult worship can be traced back to ancient times, when various religious sects and mystery cults emerged in different regions and civilizations, such as the cult of Isis in Egypt, the cult of Dionysus in Greece, and the cult of Mithras in Rome.
- Cult worship can also be seen in more recent history, such as the cult of personality that surrounded totalitarian leaders like Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Kim Jong-il, or the cult-like movements that emerged in the 20th and 21st centuries, such as Scientology, Heaven's Gate, Jonestown, Branch Davidians, and QAnon.
- Cult worship can have various psychological and social effects on its followers and opponents. Some of the common characteristics of cult worship are:

- A charismatic leader who claims to have special knowledge, authority, or divine mission.
- A closed system of doctrine that discourages critical thinking and independent judgment.
- A high level of commitment and loyalty that demands obedience and sacrifice from the followers.
- A strong sense of identity and belonging that creates an us-versus-them mentality and isolates the followers from the outside world.
- A tendency to manipulate, exploit, or abuse the followers emotionally, physically, financially, or sexually.
- A potential for violence or self-destruction in the name of the leader or the cause.

- Cult worship can be studied from various perspectives and disciplines, such as sociology, psychology, anthropology, history, religion, and media. Some of the questions that researchers and observers may ask are:

- What are the factors that attract people to join or leave a cult?
- How do cults recruit and retain their followers?
- How do cults influence and control their followers' thoughts, feelings, and behaviors?
- How do cults cope with internal conflicts and external challenges?
- How do cults end or transform over time?

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There are two types of cult.
The ' christian ' cult and the non christian cult.
Ultimately all cults are non christian, but there are those that derive from Christianity, denying the deity of Jesus, final authority of the bible, substituting another book and an earthly leader etc etc.
Then there are the political and other religious cults.

The ones we mainly meet are the jehovahs witnesses and the Mormons, both of whom deny the deity of Jesus, the final authority of the bible substituting there own books, have authoritarian leadership, claim to be the only true christianity and certainly the Jw's will shun x members.

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Nancy

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Ultimately all cults are non christian, but there are those that derive from Christianity, denying the deity of Jesus, final authority of the bible, substituting another book and an earthly leader etc etc.

The ones we mainly meet are the jehovahs witnesses and the Mormons, both of whom deny the deity of Jesus, the final authority of the bible substituting there own books, have authoritarian leadership, claim to be the only true christianity and certainly the Jw's will shun x members.
Yes, cultish behaviour among Christians comes in many guises. Tolerance of dominating, intimidating, manipulating, and seductive elements is widespread. I spent a decade in an assembly that was part of an international denomination and underwent leadership training which was biblical in essence but in practice was creating a sycophantic culture that submitted to heavy shepherding.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
- How do cults influence and control their followers' thoughts, feelings, and behaviors?
People can be born into cults. They are then endoctrinated. There are also those who are easily manipulated by a charismatic person. These may be accustomed with being manipulated because of someone they had a relationship with. Such persons I would assume lack wisdom, to know they are being manipulated.

Those whom I've heard that managed to leave a cult did so by loving the truth. Which lead them into conflict with the cult's doctrine. They are made to choose between friends and family or the truth.

There is also the deep secrets aspect. No secrets should be kept for those with higher status. It is clear the lies get more absurd the higher one goes, so they want to make sure people are invested before revealing more.

There is also rewriting and/or reinterpreting scripture. Or writing ones own book of new scripture. Often inspired by some angelic visitation.

I assume they deal with conflict harshly, and in an authoritarian way.

Cults can end, but there is nothing new under the sun. The spirit that inspired them lingers on and can reappear later in history. Internal division and strife may occur within a cult.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Actual "Mormon" here: Jesus Christ the divine Son of God. Deity. Straight up. He is my Lord, Savior, and King. He words never cease and the heavens are still open. I also do not deny that many other folks (Catholics, Methodists, Baptists, etc) are also Christian and have great relationship with Christ-- such is to be celebrated! I love visiting other churches and listening to believers there tell me about their love of Christ.

Reactions: amadeus

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, cultish behaviour among Christians comes in many guises. Tolerance of dominating, intimidating, manipulating, and seductive elements is widespread. I spent a decade in an assembly that was part of an international denomination and underwent leadership training which was biblical in essence but in practice was creating a sycophantic culture that submitted to heavy shepherding.
I find that a cult (cause they do exist) is defined by lots of manipluating/intimidating, encouraging others not to think, us-vs-them mindset, viciousness against those that have left, etc. It is a way of being rather than the actual ideas being taught, and they exist in faiths, politics, socially, etc. And yes, I have seen such in mainstream Christian banners, including ironically the "anti-cult" movement itself.

In my observation, it's ultimately a feeling of security: that I am safe here and others can't be trusted. As long as I remain on this boat I am safe. I don't want to hear other ideas, don't want to challenge myself, and shut out the world.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Actual "Mormon" here: Jesus Christ the divine Son of God. Deity. Straight up. He is my Lord, Savior, and King. He words never cease and the heavens are still open. I also do not deny that many other folks (Catholics, Methodists, Baptists, etc) are also Christian and have great relationship with Christ-- such is to be celebrated! I love visiting other churches and listening to believers there tell me about their love of Christ.

Yes I know what you believe, but just how much do you believe that is official ' Mormon ' teaching and is contradictory to biblical Christianity.
Official Mormon teaching:-
  • God used to be a man on another planet, (Mormon Doctrine, p. 321; Joseph Smith, Times and Seasons, vol. 5, p. 613-614; Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p. 345; Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333).
  • God resides near a star called Kolob, (Pearl of Great Price, p. 34-35; Mormon Doctrine, p. 428).
  • “The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s…” (Doctrines and Covenants 130:22).
  • God is in the form of a man, (Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p. 3).
  • “God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!!! . . . We have imagined that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea and take away the veil, so that you may see,” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345).

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I know what you believe, but just how much do you believe that is official ' Mormon ' teaching and is contradictory to biblical Christianity.
  • God used to be a man on another planet, (Mormon Doctrine, p. 321; Joseph Smith, Times and Seasons, vol. 5, p. 613-614; Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p. 345; Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333).
  • God resides near a star called Kolob, (Pearl of Great Price, p. 34-35; Mormon Doctrine, p. 428).
  • “The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s…” (Doctrines and Covenants 130:22).
  • God is in the form of a man, (Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p. 3).
  • “God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!!! . . . We have imagined that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea and take away the veil, so that you may see,” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345).
You're quoting an Protestant website here, and it's an inaccurate strawman. Would you like me to go through and explain actual LDS Christian beliefs here? And do not dimiss my relationship with Christ. He is the Son of God, my Savior and King. I am a saved Christian.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You're quoting an Protestant website here, and it's an inaccurate strawman. Would you like me to go through and explain actual LDS Christian beliefs here? And do not dimiss my relationship with Christ. He is the Son of God, my Savior and King. I am a saved Christian.
I am not arrogant enough to judge another person's faith, but I like everyone can quote official statements of faith.
Yes I quoted a protestant Web site, those quotes were official statements of belief by leaders of the church of latter-day saints.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Speaking of cults, what's new with the cultists spreading the religion of "man-made climate change"?
That is definitely a religion and a cult. DESTROY HUMANITY TO SAVE THE PLANET. Did you ever hear such rubbish which has been accepted by many? The cult of Transgenderism. Abortion Promotion, and the LBGQT etc Movement are a part of this cult, since normal reproduction is under attack and the murder of infants is genocide.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Would you like me to go through and explain actual LDS Christian beliefs here?
No need. Their website already exposes their false beliefs. Here's the primary one:

In the New Testament, we read that Jesus Christ established His Church, “built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets” (Ephesians 2:20). But after the death of Peter and other Apostles, the original Church, along with God’s authority, was lost. In 1820, God and Jesus called a new prophet to reestablish the Church of Jesus Christ in its fulness.

In other words for almost 1900 years there was no true Church on earth! And we are supposed to believe such nonsense?

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps it would help if you elaborated what you mean by saved? What are you saved from, and what happened before that necessitates salvation by Christ? I think that will explain the confusion.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not arrogant enough to judge another person's faith, but I like everyone can quote official statements of faith.
Yes I quoted a protestant Web site, those quotes were official statements of belief by leaders of the church of latter-day saints.
When you say "Mormons are cultist" and "all cultists are non-christian", you are judging my faith and denying my relationship with Christ. And statements like "Denying the divinity of Christ" is plainly wrong.

I'm going to be very direct here: your website is misrepresenting things to you. Quoting does not equate to being correct- the pinnacle example of this being Satan quoting scripture-- that doesn't make him correct (he's extremely not!). The website misrepresents things, which is something no one needs to do.

I'll take just this first point here as an example: are you aware that the source being cited here is a newspaper? That's literally what the "Times and Seasons" is. It's not remotely scripture. None of the other sources are either, nor actually remotely authoritative.

As to the actual content "God used to be a man on another planet": actually no. That's not LDS Christian doctrine at all. There are a grand total of two speculative original non-scripture quotes the subject of the Father's history, neither of which actually mention other planets and instead are focused on the power of God's atonement to make us clean as Him. The speculative parts aren't actually talked about if you go to LDS Christian church, nor remotely a required belief, and there's a lot of varied interpretations of it. LDS Christians don't believe in automatic infallibility of anyone (save God). God alone is my King.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps it would help if you elaborated what you mean by saved? What are you saved from, and what happened before that necessitates salvation by Christ? I think that will explain the confusion.
I'm naturally a screwed up sinner. I'm petty, lazy, prideful, etc. I sin - I rebel against God and do all sorts of nasty things. Christ, on the other hand, is the perfect Son of God. Divine. He lived a perfect life, without any blemish, and paid the price for MY sins. For MY stupidity and pride He was whipped and tortured and died. He did this because He loves, even through all of my filth. And I now love Him back- He's my Savior. I can't save myself- that's a laughable impossibility. He saved/saves me. I put my faith - my trust - in Him. I strive to follow Him every day, rejoicing in the good times accomplished through Him, repenting when I mess up, and getting back up once again (thank you Lord!).

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm naturally a screwed up sinner. I'm petty, lazy, prideful, etc. I sin - I rebel against God and do all sorts of nasty things. Christ, on the other hand, is the perfect Son of God. Divine. He lived a perfect life, without any blemish, and paid the price for MY sins. For MY stupidity and pride He was whipped and tortured and died. He did this because He loves, even through all of my filth. And I now love Him back- He's my Savior. I can't save myself- that's a laughable impossibility. He saved/saves me. I put my faith - my trust - in Him. I strive to follow Him every day, rejoicing in the good times accomplished through Him, repenting when I mess up, and getting back up once again (thank you Lord!).
So you are not here to get a body, and there was not some grand plan for man to sin. We were put here to live sin free eternally, that's right, isn't it? And we messed it up--God didn't plan it that way. Because if he did, there is no problem. At least that is what I got from you. Do you believe that Christ and Satan are brothers? Because that would take away the godship of the Son. I think we are on the same page on this.