Dealing with a spirit of fear

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah... Let me encourage you with some things. I know you play the lyre, but I would begin branching out. You should pick up guitar, IMO, and pray the Lord puts better and better equipment in your hands. If you have junk instruments, this will give you an inferiority complex because you don't sound very good. But if the Lord puts better equipment in your hands, and sets a microphone up for you well, you'd be surprised how much that alone can change your impression of yourself. Your volume goes up, your voice sounds fuller with some chorus and reverb behind it, same with the instruments, and then you start to gain some confidence. Eventually you have other musicians working with you, and the better the quality of those worshipping with you, the more this builds confidence as well.

Everything builds on itself... I think prayer may be the biggest thing right now. Give yourself to really seeking God, and let Him write through you now, but continually seek Him for empowerment and better equipment along the way. I know you don't have a ton of money atm, but all things are possible with God, and you'd be amazed how much better you can sound with a $1,300 guitar as compared to some cheap thing they sell at Walmart for $69.00.

Also consider taking up keyboard, and try maybe hanging out with some Christian musicians who are using mics and a full PA system. Ask them to let you sit in on a song you know how to sing, so you can get experience knowing what it is like singing through a mic (and I mean a good one that's set well).
i bought a second hand ukulele off of someone. almost all my instruments are second hand. i think paying for voice lessons if feasible would be more helpful. it has helped me honestly. if its not feasible than there are some good youtubers with good instruction.... but even though God gives us voices, lessons are actually helping.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know to trust God, and I am trying, but I am dealing with a spirit of fear. Can someone help me figure out how to overcome it?

I'm already getting focused on the normal parts - diet, exercise, caffeine, etc.
Fear is a body feeling, and you are a child of God.

Recognize that you are not afraid, your flesh is afraid, and you are not your flesh. You, the child of God, are joyful, and trusting in Jesus that He fully intercedes for you, aware of and sympathetic to your weakness, allows you to accept His gift of His spiritual fruit in your life, including peace and joy. You don't have to feel bad for feeling afraid.

Know that He loves you, know that you can cast every care you have on Him, because YOU are what He cares about! Know that this feeling will pass. It does not define you, Jesus defines you. Fear reminds of who we were. Fear lets us know that we are still on our way towards understanding His love for us, because perfect love casts out ALL fear.

At every feeling of fear, choose to think about God and His promises.

I've been playing Hillsong all day to help my anxieties. For me it's a physiological thing, and I just have to live with it. Regardless of what is driving your fear, it most certainly is flesh.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been very insecure about music even though multiple prophecies and always being led in that direction. I'm shy.

But when I sing, I get insecure and scared and my voice chokes, especially if I am around people.

Last year my moms friend had a vision of me being coward down but then she had a vision of be being like big time worshipper, basically.

I can't remember how that went but that was the point.
Those to whom you minister deserve your best, even if you think it's very poor. God has a way of taking our puny efforts (speaking for myself) and magnifying them by His Spirit.

Much love!

Reactions: DuckieLady

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let no man beguile you of your reward in worshipping of angels . yeah , i would not heed the catholics my friend .
ALL WE NEED IS JESUS .
Angels can't help us amigo. Perhaps you are of some other religion. Christ mentioned the angels in his Gospels.

Hebrews 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i bought a second hand ukulele off of someone. almost all my instruments are second hand. i think paying for voice lessons if feasible would be more helpful. it has helped me honestly. if its not feasible than there are some good youtubers with good instruction.... but even though God gives us voices, lessons are actually helping.

I started training a woman in voice lessons just last week, and already she is making improvements I never thought she would. She has no ear as of yet, so she had't been able to find a note to save her life. But I immediately discerned she needed to start learning keyboard to help her both hear and understand scales and chords, and on lesson two she just made leaps and bounds. She now can not only find a note, she can sing the early parts of the melody line to a song she knows in numerous different keys.

So yes, I absolutely agree. I hate the fact that she has to pay me $25 an hour for it, but I'm a lot cheaper than most everybody else, and that's about as low as I can go and still have a clear conscience about it.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I somehow missed it was about music. Haha I can’t even sing in front of my wife!! I wouldn’t worry about it. I don’t sing but I am going to have to at some point because we are all going to be doing quite a bit of it in heaven.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been very insecure about music even though multiple prophecies and always being led in that direction. I'm shy.

But when I sing, I get insecure and scared and my voice chokes, especially if I am around people.

Last year my moms friend had a vision of me being coward down but then she had a vision of be being like big time worshipper, basically.

I can't remember how that went but that was the point.

Fluffy, as an augmemt to Post #17, read the following. The most important thing is having the heart to truly worship God with. If you have that, the rest will come, you just have to pray and believe God for it all, but He will honor your prayers if your motive is right and you are called of God to it:
Christian Music going the way of the World. Sad

Reactions: lilygrace

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Beware, though .....works are not the answer. We are called first, to love the Lord our God with all our soul, heart, mind, might. Works will flow from that foundation. Otherwise, we are trusting in self and what happens when we fail? We can't rely on our works, but His work in and through us. But more importantly, knowing Him and that we are His is.....dwelling and abiding in His love, is what casts out fear.

1 Corinthians 3:11-15
[11]For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
[12]Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
[13]Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
[14]If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
[15]If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

In reality, any problem we have is a love problem. Remember (as @Lambano pointed out) that perfect love casts out fear.

Reactions: DuckieLady

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I somehow missed it was about music. Haha I can’t even sing in front of my wife!! I wouldn’t worry about it. I don’t sing but I am going to have to at some point because we are all going to be doing quite a bit of it in heaven.

Post #12.

So said, our voices improve in the next life, and even those who can't sing on earth have perfect pitch when they get to Heaven.

I can't wait to hear my wife sing when that day comes. She loves God and LOVES worship, but unfortunately doesn't have much of a singing voice.

Reactions: Mantis

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Post #12.

So said, our voices improve in the next life, and even those who can't sing on earth have perfect pitch when they get to Heaven.

I can't wait to hear my wife sing when that day comes. She loves God and LOVES worship, but unfortunately doesn't have much of a singing voice.
maybe God really likes off pitch singing. maybe he thinks its cool. there are people with beautiful tones but arent good at pitch. who is to say what is out of tune or not :p

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could this fear be coming from opposing Satan worshipers? I know you posted a few messages about this. Directly opposing Satan. Perhaps you need God's help on this issue?
I don't know. The singing part has been a fear thing since I was about 12-13.

I have been under a lot of attacks a few times but I have prayed. I realized after I was hiding under my blanket like a child, then I realized it was a fear thing.

Probably because my own "mission" right now is to trust God. And this is something I need to get over.

Fluffy, as an augmemt to Post #17, read the following. The most important thing is having the heart to truly worship God with. If you have that, the rest will come, you just have to pray and believe God for it all, but He will honor your prayers if your motive is right and you are called of God to it:
Christian Music going the way of the World. Sad
Thanks @Hidden In Him I will take a look at this. I prefer the old hymns and a few good singers because a lot (not all) of the Christian music today doesn't *praise* Him.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
maybe God really likes off pitch singing. maybe he thinks its cool. there are people with beautiful tones but arent good at pitch. who is to say what is out of tune or not :p

If God wants to hear me sing, I figure He's gotta be listening to my heart, or spirit, or something besides my voice!

:eek:

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If God wants to hear me sing, I figure He's gotta be listening to my heart, or spirit, or something besides my voice!

:eek:
maybe he thnks all voices are beautiful.
let me tell you something. josh groban has a lovely voice..... but andrew peterson has drawn me to worship. people could argue someone sings better but worship is different than just listening to a beautiful song.

Reactions: marks and TLHKAJ

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Angels can't help us amigo. Perhaps you are of some other religion. Christ mentioned the angels in his Gospels.

Hebrews 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
Angels DO help us . BUT DONT be PRAYING TO THEM . Sure GOD uses angels to give aid unto His children .
BUT we are not to PRAY TO THEM . Nor to man , nor to mary . I call upon the glorious name of CHRIST for my help .

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
know you play the lyre, but I would begin branching out. You should pick up guitar, IMO, and pray the Lord puts better and better equipment in your hands.
I play guitar, too. It has been a while. I want to play classical. But every time I pray about it I just keep getting back "voice" and "body."

So, I guess I'll have to crawl out of my shell a little bit.

And get my lungs back. Unfortunately the one you heard I had been drinking and was smoking at the same time that night. And it was like 11 years ago. (I just want to say that again: it was 11 years ago.)

Reactions: lilygrace

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FluffyYellowDuck
i am always afraid of what someone will think of me when i sing. i felt that any compliments was a lie or prank to laugh at me. not sure if its the same for you but i know where you are coming from :)

Reactions: TLHKAJ

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're right. He said to make a joyful noise unto the Lord, not necessarily on key. ;)
Thats right sister , even if one sounds like a combo of a scaled cat and a rottweiler with its foot caught in a bear trap ,
LET THEM JUST SING TO THE LORD .

Reactions: TLHKAJ