Dealing with a spirit of fear

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know. The singing part has been a fear thing since I was about 12-13.

I have been under a lot of attacks a few times but I have prayed. I realized after I was hiding under my blanket like a child, then I realized it was a fear thing.

Probably because my own "mission" right now is to trust God. And this is something I need to get over.

Thanks @Hidden In Him I will take a look at this. I prefer the old hymns and a few good singers because a lot (not all) of the Christian music today doesn't *praise* Him.
So true, sister. How do you feel about the music by "Sons of Korah"? They are all scripture put to music. "Shane and Shane" has a lot of songs like that as well. I have a thread for Scripture Songs.

Reactions: DuckieLady

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
maybe God really likes off pitch singing. maybe he thinks its cool. there are people with beautiful tones but arent good at pitch. who is to say what is out of tune or not :p

Me, Lol.

I understand your point, and God looks upon the heart first. He is far more pleased with the worship of someone who truly loves Him than someone who can sing but doesn't.

But the thing is, music done right is a reflection of the beauty of Heaven. We exist as many members of one Body, yet all of us exist in harmony with one another. This is the beauty God created music to reflect, and it will serve throughout eternity to remind us of the beauty of all of us having different personalities, different gifts, different tastes, yet all fit together in perfect harmony and build upon one another in the beauty and holiness of God.

I'm a music guy, so don't sing out of key around me. I'll love you, but I'll take your microphone away and give it to somebody else, and tell you to sing your heart out to God, over there Lol. :p

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks @Hidden In Him I will take a look at this. I prefer the old hymns and a few good singers because a lot (not all) of the Christian music today doesn't *praise* Him.

Old hymns generally have much more substantive word content, which is unfortunately lacking from much of modern worship. If anybody can ever combine truly heart-felt music and melody lines with strong Biblically based lyrics, we'll finally have something.

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me, Lol.

I understand your point, and God looks upon the heart first. He is far more pleased with the worship of someone who truly loves Him than someone who can sing but doesn't.

But the thing is, music done right is a reflection of the beauty of Heaven. We exist as many members of one Body, yet all of us exist in harmony with one another. This is the beauty God created music to reject, and it will serve throughout eternity to remind us of the beauty of all of us having different personalities, different gifts, different tastes, yet all fit together in perfect harmony and build upon one another in the beauty and holiness of God.

I'm a music guy, so don't sing out of key around me. I'll love you, but I'll take your microphone away and give it to somebody else, and tell you to sing your heart out to God, over there Lol. :p
i understand where you are coming from. i studied music. i have felt hurt by comments i would hear that since im trained it must be cos i dont want to sing or play for the Lord. it can go both ways. i have had lessons and dont always hit every note perfectly cos of fear, nerves, and not feeling all there.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know. The singing part has been a fear thing since I was about 12-13.

I have been under a lot of attacks a few times but I have prayed. I realized after I was hiding under my blanket like a child, then I realized it was a fear thing.

Probably because my own "mission" right now is to trust God. And this is something I need to get over.

I don't oppose Satan openly. As I see his worshipers as him. But I do pray for them that God will deliver them to repentance. And that is the best I can do. Otherwise I find opposing Satan leads to bad things. He is the tempter of God and is allowed to tempt for now. What will God do to deliver me from him. He will not deliver me from temptation. That is not God's will for the time being. But God will bless you for opposing him. Good job fluffy. You have courage already, you perhaps don't know it. You are a good woman!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ask the Lord to give you His heart in this matter. Everyone deserves the right to worship and sing, no matter what they sound like. Just saying.....

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know to trust God, and I am trying, but I am dealing with a spirit of fear. Can someone help me figure out how to overcome it?

I'm already getting focused on the normal parts - diet, exercise, caffeine, etc.
Can I ask a question? Is it a "spirit" or just normal anxiety or worry about something?
This is important so I can effectively pray for you...I can explain it in a PM if you would rather.

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ask the Lord to give you His heart in this matter. Everyone deserves the right to worship and sing, no matter what they sound like. Just saying.....
this is why i did love the south. they didnt care if someone was trained or not. and honestly, i never really think most voices are exactly that awful

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to play classical.

Yeah, I would pace myself on that one. The technical side of music could tie you up for decades if you let it, and that's more something you should just let build as you go. I once had a fretless bass (bass is still my primary, though I usually play guitar) and considered mastering orchestra music. Not to be. We are servants of God, and only if you are truly called to that level of expertise would I advise it.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So true, sister. How do you feel about the music by "Sons of Korah"? They are all scripture put to music. "Shane and Shane" has a lot of songs like that as well. I have a thread for Scripture Songs.
I like them a lot. There are a couple that are really good.

Andrew Peterson is by far my favorite right now. His lyrics are amazing. I love the hymns album from Shane and Shane.

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I would pace myself on that one. The technical side of music could tie you up for decades if you let it, and that's more something you should just let build as you go. I once had a fretless bass (bass is still my primary, though I usually play guitar) and considered mastering orchestra music. Not to be. We are servants of God, and only if you are truly called to that level of expertise would I advise it.
@FluffyYellowDuck do you mean classical voice or lyre , or guitar or all instruments?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
this is why i did love the south. they didnt care if someone was trained or not. and honestly, i never really think most voices are exactly that awful

I think where the balance comes is that you have some singers mic'd who are particularly good (so long as they're anointed), and then their volume makes it possible for everyone to sing as loud as they want without throwing things off key. And plus that gives everyone a tone to hit, and most people tend to follow the vocal lines that others are singing, so it all works out.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can I ask a question? Is it a "spirit" or just normal anxiety or worry about something?
This is important so I can effectively pray for you...I can explain it in a PM if you would rather.
I actually believe it is a combination of both, but there is one cause I should be upfront about that doesn't help, maybe. I'm a domestic abuse survivor in a very big way.

(Also thank you :))

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like them a lot. There are a couple that are really good.

Andrew Peterson is by far my favorite right now. His lyrics are amazing. I love the hymns album from Shane and Shane.

Piano-based, and very pretty. If you were pick up keyboard from someone like that you could write your tail off. Most versatile instrument there is.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I actually believe it is a combination of both, but there is one cause I should be upfront about that doesn't help, maybe. I'm a domestic abuse survivor in a very big way.
Okay, I don't want you to discuss this openly...many have good intentions but can actually hurt more than help with their advice...so if you want to discuss it further let's do it privately and invite anyone else you want involved.
If you do I will let you start the conversation.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
maybe he thnks all voices are beautiful.
let me tell you something. josh groban has a lovely voice..... but andrew peterson has drawn me to worship. people could argue someone sings better but worship is different than just listening to a beautiful song.
Amen!

And our Father sings over us! I can't wait to hear His song!! Can you imagine???

Much love!

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(Also thank you :))
trauma does effect your voice. i am not giving details about it here. but i do think heart is correct about the possibility of talking about this more privately if you like