Defending the Trinity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Purity,
You clearly don't even understand that quote you posted. Both of you should quit searching the web for key words to grasp for some clever response and take an actual Christian history class.

"In contrast to ousía, which is eternal being as such, hypóstasis is real being as this is manifested in individual phenomena. Because being is primal matter, its coming into existence may be viewed as a physical process, and thus hypóstasis offers itself as a suitable term for the resultant reality. The distinction from ousía, however, is only a theoretical and not a practical one. ousía exists in its actualization, hypóstasis is ousía in its actuality. hypóstasis is not the real, concrete phenomenon as such but the reality behind it."
-TDNTA

As I said, the Greek word ousia is based out of the Greek word found in Heb. 1:3, hypostasis. It wasn't pulled out of the thin blue air by unbelieving, wayward philosophers as you both foolishly keep suggesting.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Wormwood said:
Purity,
You clearly don't even understand that quote you posted.

"In contrast to ousía, which is eternal being as such, hypóstasis is real being as this is manifested in individual phenomena. Because being is primal matter, its coming into existence may be viewed as a physical process, and thus hypóstasis offers itself as a suitable term for the resultant reality. The distinction from ousía, however, is only a theoretical and not a practical one. ousía exists in its actualization, hypóstasis is ousía in its actuality. hypóstasis is not the real, concrete phenomenon as such but the reality behind it."
-TDNTA
Nice try Wormwood!

If I recall you ceased our discussion some time ago because my hermeneutics was not written in Trinitarian terms (nor should it be!), and your comprehension of a the true Gospel was not possible. Now re the above, you imply the Reverend's words were not understood by me, and to prove so you run off to the nearest theological dictionary to find a philosophical definition for the word hypostasis.

What about its other uses?

A. Greek Usage.
Preliminary. Formed as a verbal noun from hyphístēmi, hypóstasis reflects some of the meanings of the intransitive and middle hyphístamai, namely, “support,” “concealment,” “deposit or sediment,” “existence or reality,” and, technically, “lease.” The use is mostly specialized in the early period. The philosophical use grows out of an earlier scientific use, and the later range of meaning hardly goes beyond the scientific and philosophical senses.

Medical and Scientific Use. In medicine hypóstasis rarely means “support,” e.g., a hip as a support for the body. More common is the use for “sediment,” e.g., for urine. The word can also denote fluid or solid excrement. More generally anything that settles is hypóstasis (cf. curds, or the slimy bottom of stagnant water, or the deposit of moist air, or any kind of residue).

Or:

a. Stoicism. Stoicism first brings the term into philosophy to denote what has come into being or attained reality. In contrast to ousía, which is eternal being as such, hypóstasis is real being as this is manifested in individual phenomena. Because being is primal matter, its coming into existence may be viewed as a physical process, and thus hypóstasis offers itself as a suitable term for the resultant reality. The distinction from ousía, however, is only a theoretical and not a practical one. ousía exists in its actualization, hypóstasis is ousía in its actuality, hypóstasis is not the real, concrete phenomenon as such but the reality behind it.

Hmmm sounds familiar.

b. Peripatus. Dependence on Stoicism is evident in the Peripatetic use. There is reality only in individual things; these have essence and reality in themselves.
c. Middle Platonism. References here are few, but in Albinus hypóstasis denotes the actualization of the ground of being relative to the intelligible world.
d. Neo-Platonism. Neo-Platonic development has no significance for biblical usage but is important later, hypóstasis now bears no relation to matter. As a term for the actuality derived from the one, it is synonymous with ousía. While deriving from ultimate being, it also has ultimate being. This understanding lies behind the use in the later doctrine of the Trinity.

Its all a load of hogwash wormwood and instead of turning to philosophical expressions of the divine writ why don't you seek Gods wisdom from above?

(shaking my head)

The Church, in its teaching concerning the Dogma of the Trinity, uses the philosophical concepts essence, nature, substance, hypostasis and person (cf. Caput Firmiter of the 4th Lateran Council (1215): Tres quidem personae, sed una essentia, substantia seu natura simplex omnino). The concepts essence, nature and substance characterise the physical essence of God common to the Three Persons, that is, the totality of the Perfections of the Divine Essence. An hypostasis is an individual complete substance existing entirely in itself, an incommunicable substance (substantia singularis completa tota in se or substantia incommunicabilis). A Person is a hypostasis endowed with reason (hypostasis rationalis). The classical definition comes from that of Boethius (De duabus naturis 3): Persona est naturae rationalis individua (= incommunicabilis) substantia (a Person is the individual (incommunicable) substance of a rational nature). Hypostasis and nature are related to each other in such a manner that the hypostasis is the bearer of nature and the ultimate subject of all being and acting (principium quod), while the nature is that through which the hypostasis is and acts (principium quo).

tut_tut.gif

Where is God's Word in all this Wormwood

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My comments are focused on nothead and I only referenced you on the matter because you are quoting material you don't understand and nothead is piggybacking off your nonsense. The fact of the matter, nothead, is that ousia is used because it shares common meaning with the biblical word hypostasis (which was the only point I was making on the matter. But you can't seem to allow my words to make a solitary point it seems. Instead, you thrash about trying to refute something I'm not even arguing against.).

Philosophical concepts were later employed because heretics such as you two were using general concepts to push unbiblical teachings. The church employed words that provided more clarity to preserve the teachings of the NT. Your continual quotes of Trinitarian authors, no less, to prove your foolish assertion only reveals how clueless the both of you are in this discussion.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Wormwood said:
My comments are focused on nothead and I only referenced you on the matter because you are quoting material you don't understand and nothead is piggybacking off your nonsense. The fact of the matter, nothead, is that ousia is used because it shares common meaning with the biblical word hypostasis (which was the only point I was making on the matter. But you can't seem to allow my words to make a solitary point it seems).

Philosophical concepts were later employed because heretics such as you two were using general concepts to push unbiblical teachings. The church employed words that provided more clarity to preserve the teachings of the NT. Your continual quotes of Trinitarian authors, no less, to prove your foolish assertion only reveals how clueless the both of you are in this discussion.
Nice wormwood nice.

Do you believe Jesus was clothed with immortality after three days in the grave? clothed with divine nature? after the condemnation of death was removed from him? Rom 6:9

Or, do you believe Heb 1:3 is speaking of Christ in his fleshly state?

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
Purity said:
Nice wormwood nice.

Do you believe Jesus was clothed with immortality after three days in the grave? clothed with divine nature? after the condemnation of death was removed from him? Rom 6:9

Or, do you believe Heb 1:3 is speaking of Christ in his fleshly state?
You have already been told impurity that you are a waste of time; with weasel words like Satan in Genesis!
Floyd

nothead

Apr 2, 2014
Purity said:
Nice try Wormwood!

If I recall you ceased our discussion some time ago because my hermeneutics was not written in Trinitarian terms (nor should it be!), and your comprehension of a the true Gospel was not possible. Now re the above, you imply the Reverend's words were not understood by me, and to prove so you run off to the nearest theological dictionary to find a philosophical definition for the word hypostasis.

What about its other uses?

A. Greek Usage.
Preliminary. Formed as a verbal noun from hyphístēmi, hypóstasis reflects some of the meanings of the intransitive and middle hyphístamai, namely, “support,” “concealment,” “deposit or sediment,” “existence or reality,” and, technically, “lease.” The use is mostly specialized in the early period. The philosophical use grows out of an earlier scientific use, and the later range of meaning hardly goes beyond the scientific and philosophical senses.

Medical and Scientific Use. In medicine hypóstasis rarely means “support,” e.g., a hip as a support for the body. More common is the use for “sediment,” e.g., for urine. The word can also denote fluid or solid excrement. More generally anything that settles is hypóstasis (cf. curds, or the slimy bottom of stagnant water, or the deposit of moist air, or any kind of residue).

Or:

a. Stoicism. Stoicism first brings the term into philosophy to denote what has come into being or attained reality. In contrast to ousía, which is eternal being as such, hypóstasis is real being as this is manifested in individual phenomena. Because being is primal matter, its coming into existence may be viewed as a physical process, and thus hypóstasis offers itself as a suitable term for the resultant reality. The distinction from ousía, however, is only a theoretical and not a practical one. ousía exists in its actualization, hypóstasis is ousía in its actuality, hypóstasis is not the real, concrete phenomenon as such but the reality behind it.

Hmmm sounds familiar.

b. Peripatus. Dependence on Stoicism is evident in the Peripatetic use. There is reality only in individual things; these have essence and reality in themselves.
c. Middle Platonism. References here are few, but in Albinus hypóstasis denotes the actualization of the ground of being relative to the intelligible world.
d. Neo-Platonism. Neo-Platonic development has no significance for biblical usage but is important later, hypóstasis now bears no relation to matter. As a term for the actuality derived from the one, it is synonymous with ousía. While deriving from ultimate being, it also has ultimate being. This understanding lies behind the use in the later doctrine of the Trinity.

Its all a load of hogwash wormwood and instead of turning to philosophical expressions of the divine writ why don't you seek Gods wisdom from above?

(shaking my head)

The Church, in its teaching concerning the Dogma of the Trinity, uses the philosophical concepts essence, nature, substance, hypostasis and person (cf. Caput Firmiter of the 4th Lateran Council (1215): Tres quidem personae, sed una essentia, substantia seu natura simplex omnino). The concepts essence, nature and substance characterise the physical essence of God common to the Three Persons, that is, the totality of the Perfections of the Divine Essence. An hypostasis is an individual complete substance existing entirely in itself, an incommunicable substance (substantia singularis completa tota in se or substantia incommunicabilis). A Person is a hypostasis endowed with reason (hypostasis rationalis). The classical definition comes from that of Boethius (De duabus naturis 3): Persona est naturae rationalis individua (= incommunicabilis) substantia (a Person is the individual (incommunicable) substance of a rational nature). Hypostasis and nature are related to each other in such a manner that the hypostasis is the bearer of nature and the ultimate subject of all being and acting (principium quod), while the nature is that through which the hypostasis is and acts (principium quo).

tut_tut.gif

Where is God's Word in all this Wormwood
Man, why he want to quit on you? That was DEFINITIVE.

AND you wear a white hat!

AND you can quick-draw with either hand!

If I was Wormwood:

I would cower, into fetal position, plead for mercy and name the names of my wives, childrens and dogs as fast as I can stutter. (That's how my wife becomes wuh, wuh wife).

nothead

Apr 2, 2014
Wormwood said:
Purity,
You clearly don't even understand that quote you posted. Both of you should quit searching the web for key words to grasp for some clever response and take an actual Christian history class.

-TDNTA

As I said, the Greek word ousia is based out of the Greek word found in Heb. 1:3, hypostasis. It wasn't pulled out of the thin blue air by unbelieving, wayward philosophers as you both foolishly keep suggesting.
Lettuce go to Strong's my man. (Sorry if I assume you grown).

1. a setting or placing under

thing put under, substructure, foundation

[*]
that which has foundation, is firm

1. that which has actual existence

a substance, real being

[*]
the substantial quality, nature, of a person or thing

[*]
the steadfastness of mind, firmness, courage, resolution

1. confidence, firm trust, assurance

The KJV translates Strongs G5287 in the following manner: confidence (2x), confident (1x),person (1x), substance (1x).

So then, Wormwood, this oddball word is in my Greek Scripture4all text understood as "assumption" "underlying confidence," or "understanding."

And you dear are interpreting it as OUSIA or ESSENCE OF, BEing of, original material of, .....................WHAT, sir??

Yeah we will bring up the problems with these GREEK TERMS, since no one under the sun seems to understand what they speak of when they USE THEM.
Including the later ECF'S who bandied about spewing nonsense every other word. With aplomb and debonair. And a certain naive optimism.

See the difference between Strong's definition and yours? Did you even come close, sir?

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
nothead said:
Lettuce go to Strong's my man. (Sorry if I assume you grown).

1. a setting or placing under

thing put under, substructure, foundation

[*]
that which has foundation, is firm

1. that which has actual existence

a substance, real being

[*]
the substantial quality, nature, of a person or thing

[*]
the steadfastness of mind, firmness, courage, resolution

1. confidence, firm trust, assurance

The KJV translates Strongs G5287 in the following manner: confidence (2x), confident (1x),person (1x), substance (1x).

So then, Wormwood, this oddball word is in my Greek Scripture4all text understood as "assumption" "underlying confidence," or "understanding."

And you dear are interpreting it as OUSIA or ESSENCE OF, BEing of, original material of, .....................WHAT, sir??

Yeah we will bring up the problems with these GREEK TERMS, since no one under the sun seems to understand what they speak of when they USE THEM.
Including the later ECF'S who bandied about spewing nonsense every other word. With aplomb and debonair. And a certain naive optimism.

See the difference between Strong's definition and yours? Did you even come close, sir?
Don't you realise you are out of this?

nothead

Apr 2, 2014
Floyd said:
You have already been told impurity that you are a waste of time; with weasel words like Satan in Genesis!
Floyd
Johnny Carson's sidekick. Only he not as funny as you, Floyd.

Weasel words: Trinity Shimity.

Sing it, Winterwood Band rocks!!

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
nothead said:
Johnny Carson's sidekick. Only he not as funny as you, Floyd.

Weasel words: Trinity Shimity.

Sing it, Winterwood Band rocks!!
As said; you are out of this.

nothead

Apr 2, 2014
Floyd said:
As said; you are out of this.
LOL, deadpan humor. I love it!

Seriously funny, Floyd. Funny, serious Floyd.

I love you Floyd, and Jesus loves you, Floyd. WHOO HOO!!

Ooops update. I just noticed his account was disabled. Steve Winterwood sucks, no good, weasel lyrics.
He don't smell good either. All three of him.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
"For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world-- our faith. 5Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?6This is the One who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ; not with the water only, but with the water and with the blood. It is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. For there are three that testify:8the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement. the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement." (1 John 5:4-8)

"See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ. 9For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority" (Colossians 2:9-10)

Love in Christ!,
UHCAIan

nothead

Apr 2, 2014
UHCAIan said:
"For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world-- our faith. 5Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?6This is the One who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ; not with the water only, but with the water and with the blood. It is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. For there are three that testify:8the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement. the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement." (1 John 5:4-8)

"See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ. 9For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority" (Colossians 2:9-10)

Love in Christ!,
UHCAIan

What point are you making, brother?

You Oneness Pentecostal? This sig might imply.

"Jesus Only Savior, Jesus Only Healer, Jesus Only Baptizer in the Holy Ghost, Jesus Only King!"

But now you are halfway in between Abrahamic Monotheists like me and Purity, and the Trins who inhabit. Make yourself known.

Jesus is the Son of God. But what does "Son of God" mean to you sir?

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Noddy, you are being naughty again. What did we discuss about you using Greek? Remember? Do I have to sit you in the corner and take away your chocolate milk? Now go behave yourself and don't play with things that aren't yours.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
nothead said:
What point are you making, brother?

You Oneness Pentecostal? This sig might imply.

"Jesus Only Savior, Jesus Only Healer, Jesus Only Baptizer in the Holy Ghost, Jesus Only King!"

But now you are halfway in between Abrahamic Monotheists like me and Purity, and the Trins who inhabit. Make yourself known.

Jesus is the Son of God. But what does "Son of God" mean to you sir?
I'm saved 1st by Jesus alone! I believe in the Union of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. God was the Creator in Creation, Son in Redemption and the Holy Ghost is the Church today. The three bear witness AS one! Three of One Substance and power and personage! I believe in the power of the Godhead! God can not sin Jesus did not sin, God can not be tempted to sin Jesus could that alone shows a distinction, Jesus took on the sin of the world upon Himself God can not take upon sin another distinction, God calls Jesus His Son (distinction) and Jesus calls God Father (distinction) and Jesus promised the Holy Ghost (distinction). Three of one substance!

Floyd

Feb 28, 2014
UHCAIan said:
I'm saved 1st by Jesus alone! I believe in the Union of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. God was the Creator in Creation, Son in Redemption and the Holy Ghost is the Church today. The three bear witness AS one! Three of One Substance and power and personage! I believe in the power of the Godhead! God can not sin Jesus did not sin, God can not be tempted to sin Jesus could that alone shows a distinction, Jesus took on the sin of the world upon Himself God can not take upon sin another distinction, God calls Jesus His Son (distinction) and Jesus calls God Father (distinction) and Jesus promised the Holy Ghost (distinction). Three of one substance!
Amen UHC!
Floyd.