Defending the Trinity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

nothead

Apr 2, 2014
UHCAIan said:
I'm saved 1st by Jesus alone! I believe in the Union of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. God was the Creator in Creation, Son in Redemption and the Holy Ghost is the Church today. The three bear witness AS one! Three of One Substance and power and personage! I believe in the power of the Godhead! God can not sin Jesus did not sin, God can not be tempted to sin Jesus could that alone shows a distinction, Jesus took on the sin of the world upon Himself God can not take upon sin another distinction, God calls Jesus His Son (distinction) and Jesus calls God Father (distinction) and Jesus promised the Holy Ghost (distinction). Three of one substance!
You not Oneness, then. Sound excited though. How do you reconcile the Great Command saying God is one, said by YOUR LORD in Mark 12 to be so, no HINT that he was speaking of himself as God?

Wormwood said:
Noddy, you are being naughty again. What did we discuss about you using Greek? Remember? Do I have to sit you in the corner and take away your chocolate milk? Now go behave yourself and don't play with things that aren't yours.
Rather my theory: Those Greeks got us in trouble in the first place, sir. All of those OUSIAS and HYPOPatomouses...I mean HYPOSTASIS...

...makes the head go dizzy. Stuff they liked to haggle about, being from the School of ARISTOTLE, or PLATO, or STOICSIRMAN whoever he is.

Seriously, we really thought we could haggle about the substance of GOD?? What gave us the gumption? What gave us the will or the optimism?

You will see that Jews in them days did not DEIGN to speak about God in this manner, sir.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
UHCAIan said:
I'm saved 1st by Jesus alone! I believe in the Union of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. God was the Creator in Creation, Son in Redemption and the Holy Ghost is the Church today. The three bear witness AS one! Three persons of One Substance and power and personage! I believe in the power of the Godhead! God can not sin Jesus did not sin, God can not be tempted to sin Jesus could that alone shows a distinction, Jesus took on the sin of the world upon Himself God can not take upon sin another distinction, God calls Jesus His Son (distinction) and Jesus calls God Father (distinction) and Jesus promised the Holy Ghost (distinction). Three of one substance!
Amen Alan! I just added an edit to clarify (I assume that is what you meant :) )

nothead

Apr 2, 2014
Wormwood said:
Amen Alan! I just added an edit to clarify (I assume that is what you meant :) )
Three Persons of one substance and power, eh? What would this SUBSTANCE of God be, sir Worm?

Also to find it it the BOOK sir, pletty please.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ask the author of Hebrews my dear nothead.

kai carakter tes hypostaseos autou

ὑπόστασις hupóstasis;
III. Substance, what really exists under any appearance, reality, essential nature (Heb. 1:3, "the express image" or exact expression of God’s essence or being, i.e., of God Himself). Here it approximates ousía (3776), existence, substance, and phúsis (5449), nature.

[SIZE=medium]Spiros Zodhiates, The Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament (Chattanooga, TN: AMG Publishers, 2000).[/SIZE]
I'll let the Bible speak for itself and leave the conjecture about Jesus and his nature (middle-of-the-road elohim (somewhere between a king, judge, Israelite, angel) that was some kind of a prethought Word the only preexisted in its prespoken form which is not really preexisting at all) to you.

So, tell me more about how Jesus preexisted as the Word but only in a non-spoken, non-existent kind of way. I love this story... (munching on popcorn)

nothead

Apr 2, 2014
Wormwood said:
Ask the author of Hebrews my dear nothead.

kai carakter tes hypostaseos autou

I'll let the Bible speak for itself and leave the conjecture about Jesus and his nature (middle-of-the-road elohim (somewhere between a king, judge, Israelite, angel) that was some kind of a prethought Word the only preexisted in its prespoken form which is not really preexisting at all) to you.

So, tell me more about how Jesus preexisted as the Word but only in a non-spoken, non-existent kind of way. I love this story... (munching on popcorn)

Translated PERSON (exact image of) in your verse, but this the only time in NT...also by your own source as:

BEING. Same word as OUSIA, formulated after the Council of Nicea to be the NATURE OF GOD who is 3 hypostatsis in this same OUSIA.

So you see then just how INCOMPREHENSIBLE your HYPOSTASIS is, sir, to the destruction of your paradigm in shame and disgrace?

Not only is your paradigm shamed and disgraced, but it is probably very disappointed in you sir.

I know you are trying to divert me, but I am a bulldog when I got you on the ropes, sir. The killer instinct is good at this point in time, for all boxers of the sweet science.

Elohim, defined is also not only as the Trin scholar Michael Heiser defines in "What is an Elohim," but also described even better by the Abrahamic monotheist, Paul Sumner, www.hebrew-streams.org.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nodhead, since you and Purity don't seem to understand this early church stuff, history, and the meanings of words ousia and hypostasis, allow me to break it down a bit for you. My hope is that it will clear up your confusion, but my fear is that you relish the confusion and prefer it so you don't have to deal with the truth that you are dead wrong.

So, let's take a stab at it anyway. Pun intended

___
[ ]
[ ]
--------------
| | |
| | |
| | |
\ /
\/

Hypostasis and ousia, when understood to be referring to "substance" or "essential nature" hold virtually identical meanings. However, the two concepts are pretty much the same. Are you tracking so far? It looks like this...

Hypostasis = ousia.

Point #1. Ousia was not a concept plastered on God by 4th century philosophers. The concept is found explicitly in the Bible.*

So, when we look at Hebrews 1:3 and it refers to Jesus being of the exact imprint of God's hypostasis, we could exchange the words ousia, substance, essence, ect. The words carry the same meaning. Not unlike if I said, "Nothead has a rock for a head" and later said, "Nothead has a head of stone." I'd be saying the same thing (in a joking sort of way :) ) So here we are at...

Hypostasis, ousia, nature, essence, substance are all synonyms.

Point #2. When we say that Jesus is the same nature, substance, essence, or ousia as the Father, we affirming what is proclaimed in Hebrews 1:3. **

As the years rolled on, pesky little heretics began to emerge that taught things about Jesus that alarmed the rest of the church because they were foreign concepts of how the church understood the nature of Christ. They took basic teachings from people like Origen and applied them in radical (and unbiblical) ways. In order to combat these concepts the church began to carefully choose words with nuances that would affirm what was believed by the church as a whole while condemning these new false teachings. Words like hypostasis began to emphasize the essence of God expressed in a person (Father, Son and Spirit) as opposed to ousia which is a little more generic of a term. Both refer to nature, but one began to emphasize expression in a person. This is not my opinion, this is what was declared to be the case by the Cappadocian Fathers and can clearly be discovered through any scholarly work related to Christian history.

Distinctions between hypostasis and ousia were emphasized in the 4th Century because of new false teaching about Jesus that the Church rejected.

[SIZE=medium]According to the Cappadocian Fathers, the terms ousia and hypostasis, which until then had universally been seen as being synonymous, were now to be distinguished, with ousia referring to the oneness, hypostasis to the threeness in God.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Erwin Fahlbusch and Geoffrey William Bromiley, The Encyclopedia of Christianity (Grand Rapids, MI; Leiden, Netherlands: Wm. B. Eerdmans; Brill, 1999–2003), 352.[/SIZE]
Point #3. It was not until the 4th Century that ousia and hypostasis were distinguished from one another and that was due to new heretical teachings about Jesus that the Church rejected.***

So, can we move on or must we continue in this insanity as it relates to your unfounded conjectures about ousia and hypostasis?

* Note: Any concepts henceforth that suggest that ousia was a philosophical construction that was arbitrarily and artificially placed on God will be met with laughing, crying...and then more laughing. If such a claim is to be made, it is expected that some scholarly source will be quoted to support the assertion. Nothead's own personal musings and imagination are not valid sources to reference unless accompanied with signs, wonders and a voice from heaven confirming such a declaration.

** Note: One nature, substance, essence between Jesus and the Father has clearly been demonstrated. It is simply what the word means. Multiple lexicons have been cited to validate this as a simple and undeniable fact. Any future rejection of the notion that Jesus and the Father are of one ousia, nature, substance or essence will be understood to be a denial the book of Hebrews as authoritative Scripture, unless scholarly evidence can be given to the contrary.

*** Note: All future comments that argue that ousia and hypostasis are not originally the same thing that was distinguished slightly from each other to refute heretics will be understood as coming from one who has a head of granite. Prayers and intercessions for a softening of the head and heart will be issued.

nothead

Apr 2, 2014
Nodhead, since you and Purity don't seem to understand this early church stuff, history, and the meanings of words ousia and hypostasis, allow me to break it down a bit for you. My hope is that it will clear up your confusion, but my fear is that you relish the confusion and prefer it so you don't have to deal with the truth that you are dead wrong.

So, let's take a stab at it anyway. Pun intended

Hypostasis and ousia, when understood to be referring to "substance" or "essential nature" hold virtually identical meanings. However, the two concepts are pretty much the same. Are you tracking so far? It looks like this...
Hypostasis = ousia.

Well, glorah bay, hermano. We said what you said what I said.

Point #1. Ousia was not a concept plastered on God by 4th century philosophers. The concept is found explicitly in the Bible.*

So, when we look at Hebrews 1:3 and it refers to Jesus being of the exact imprint of God's hypostasis, we could exchange the words ousia, substance, essence, ect. The words carry the same meaning. Not unlike if I said, "Nothead has a rock for a head" and later said, "Nothead has a head of stone." I'd be saying the same thing (in a joking sort of way :) ) So here we are at...

Hypostasis, ousia, nature, essence, substance are all synonyms.
Well, glorah bay, hermano. We said what you said what I said. AGIN.'

Point #2. When we say that Jesus is the same nature, substance, essence, or ousia as the Father, we affirming what is proclaimed in Hebrews 1:3. **

As the years rolled on, pesky little heretics began to emerge that taught things about Jesus that alarmed the rest of the church because they were foreign concepts of how the church understood the nature of Christ. They took basic teachings from people like Origen and applied them in radical (and unbiblical) ways. In order to combat these concepts the church began to carefully choose words with nuances that would affirm what was believed by the church as a whole while condemning these new false teachings. Words like hypostasis began to emphasize the essence of God expressed in a person (Father, Son and Spirit) as opposed to ousia which is a little more generic of a term. Both refer to nature, but one began to emphasize expression in a person. This is not my opinion, this is what was declared to be the case by the Cappadocian Fathers and can clearly be discovered through any scholarly work related to Christian history.

Distinctions between hypostasis and ousia were emphasized in the 4th Century because of new false teaching about Jesus that the Church rejected.
Other than the pretty layout, easily read here, I have litte to agree with. It is true Arius was also guilty of using terms of Greek philosophy to define his position. He also may have forced the issue, for by now many though clearly that Jesus was God. This in contrast to the first two generations which almost across the board held to an absolute subordination of some kind of Jesus to God. I have demonstrated this repeatedly HERE as such:

According to R.P.C. Hanson, "with the exception of Athanasius, virtually every theologian, East and West, accepted some form of subordianationism at least up to the year 355; subordinationism might indeed, until the denouement of the controversy, have been described as accepted orthodoxy."[25]

subordinationism, wiki.

And too, I think I listed the first 3 known Creeds of the Christian Church which does not CONTAIN the divinity of Christ. I knew you forgot about these, Wood. Just a reminder, no one has refuted this evidence.

Point #3. It was not until the 4th Century that ousia and hypostasis were distinguished from one another and that was due to new heretical teachings about Jesus that the Church rejected.***

So, can we move on or must we continue in this insanity as it relates to your unfounded conjectures about ousia and hypostasis?
No. Since you are saying here UNFOUNDED when in fact you agreed with me and said it wasn't until the fourth century any MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE meaning was attempted at regarding these terms. That helps NOT since the first two gens Christianity had the definitive paradigm of gospel.

Until 385 A.D. or later, no hypostasis was different from any OUSIA among men. See I know what's going on, you presupposed LATER MEANS BETTER when exactly the opposite is true. CLOSER TO JESUS when he was here is the ideal paradigm because they heard him, saw him and lived with him. And would be in BETTER POSITION to know of which he spoke.

* Note: Any concepts henceforth that suggest that ousia was a philosophical construction that was arbitrarily and artificially placed on God will be met with laughing, crying...and then more laughing. If such a claim is to be made, it is expected that some scholarly source will be quoted to support the assertion. Nothead's own personal musings and imagination are not valid sources to reference unless accompanied with signs, wonders and a voice from heaven confirming such a declaration.

** Note: One nature, substance, essence between Jesus and the Father has clearly been demonstrated. It is simply what the word means. Multiple lexicons have been cited to validate this as a simple and undeniable fact. Any future rejection of the notion that Jesus and the Father are of one ousia, nature, substance or essence will be understood to be a denial the book of Hebrews as authoritative Scripture, unless scholarly evidence can be given to the contrary.

*** Note: All future comments that argue that ousia and hypostasis are not originally the same thing that was distinguished slightly from each other to refute heretics will be understood as coming from one who has a head of granite. Prayers and intercessions for a softening of the head and heart will be issued.

Can't hear you, my ears are shut, the flaps did go down.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
UHCAIan said:
I believe in the power of the Godhead! God can not sin Jesus did not sin,
There it is my fellow witnesses. One could not sin and one could sin but did not! Unwittingly you provided the fundamental difference between God and Jesus.

Their natures were diametrically opposed in every way - One Spirit, the other Sinful Flesh as per Rom 8:3 Heb 2:14 etc...

Jesus had need of "something" to offer Yahweh - Heb 8:3 And Yahweh (God) does not offer up himself to and for himself.

"For every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices. So this one (Jesus) too had to have something to offer." Jesus offered up himself to God Heb 7:27 a High Priest who "had" been exalted by God out of sinful flesh to the right hand of the Father on High.
What I love about Heb 7:28 is it reinforces your position on a God who cannot be tempted (James 1:13) with a condemned mortal and dying Son.

[SIZE=80%]7:28 [/SIZE]For the law appoints as high priests men subject to weakness, but the word of solemn affirmation that came after the law appoints a son made perfect forever.

So what you, wormwood and Floyd here believe is Jesus during his mortal life bore both a strong Spirit nature along with a weak flesh nature.

In a word ridiculous.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Purity: Where do you get off saying Jesus had sinful flesh? That isn't what Rom 8:3 is saying at all.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
lforrest said:
Purity: Where do you get off saying Jesus had sinful flesh? That isn't what Rom 8:3 is saying at all.
Is there another type of flesh? One which is condemned to death Heb 5:7KJV one which held him in the grave Rom 6:9KJV One which provided temptations like those you experience Heb 4:15KJV who was like you in "every" way Heb 2:17

Your remarks Iforrest are not toward me but the Apostle Paul and God whose Spirit moved through Paul to record these words concerning Jesus' nature.

"fully human in everyway"

Not some hybrid of God and man - not some Hypostasis between that which is the source of evil and the source of goodness all in one nature.

You or the others cannot define such a nature or can you show it from Scripture - its in your imaginations - notions of men - philosophies you inherited from ECF's.

Purity

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Other than the pretty layout, easily read here, I have litte to agree with. It is true Arius was also guilty of using terms of Greek philosophy to define his position. He also may have forced the issue, for by now many though clearly that Jesus was God. This in contrast to the first two generations which almost across the board held to an absolute subordination of some kind of Jesus to God. I have demonstrated this repeatedly HERE as such:

According to R.P.C. Hanson, "with the exception of Athanasius, virtually every theologian, East and West, accepted some form of subordianationism at least up to the year 355; subordinationism might indeed, until the denouement of the controversy, have been described as accepted orthodoxy."[25]
Yes, we covered that point and you are presenting it in a bit of a misleading way. Subordinationism does not necessarily denote inequality as you are suggesting. Even the article states as much. So, presenting it like the early church did not hold to the divinity of Christ based on concepts of subordination in their writings is a biased and inaccurate depiction of their views.

Until 385 A.D. or later, no hypostasis was different from any OUSIA among men. See I know what's going on, you presupposed LATER MEANS BETTER when exactly the opposite is true. CLOSER TO JESUS when he was here is the ideal paradigm because they heard him, saw him and lived with him. And would be in BETTER POSITION to know of which he spoke.
No, you are entirely missing my point. I am not saying later means better. I am saying that the distinctions arose because of new heresies, not because of philosophical musings of unbelieving philosophers as you have been arguing. I am saying Hebrews 1:3 teaches that Jesus has the exact same nature/substance/essence as God and this is a biblical concept that carried through to the 4th century and distinctions in the terms ousia and hypostasis were later developments to handle heresy. I am not proposing one term is better than the other. I am simply affirming what the words mean and what that implies about the nature of Christ.

I don't know what "no hypostasis was different from any ousia among men" means. That phrase does not make sense.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Purity said:
Is there another type of flesh? One which is condemned to death Heb 5:7KJV one which held him in the grave Rom 6:9KJV One which provided temptations like those you experience Heb 4:15KJV who was like you in "every" way Heb 2:17

Your remarks Iforrest are not toward me but the Apostle Paul and God whose Spirit moved through Paul to record these words concerning Jesus' nature.

"fully human in everyway"

Not some hybrid of God and man - not some Hypostasis between that which is the source of evil and the source of goodness all in one nature.

You or the others cannot define such a nature or can you show it from Scripture - its in your imaginations - notions of men - philosophies you inherited from ECF's.

Purity
Then was Mary's conception by the Holy Spirit just for show?

No, Jesus had no original sin. His flesh is clean, and always has been.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lforrest,

Original sin, in this sense, is not a distinctively Trinitarian view anyway so I wouldn't bother fighting on that hill. There have been hosts of Christians who did not hold to heretical views of God that did not believe in guilt passed on to children. I would also put myself in that camp. I don't believe children are tainted or guilty of sin, nor are the mentally handicapped or infirmed. The kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these. In any event, the concept of original sin is a completely different debate that certainly cannot prove the Scriptural teaching of the Trinity wrong since Trinitarians line up on both sides of that issue.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Wormwood,

Your right, I'll avoid going down that rabbit hole.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Wormwood said:
No, you are entirely missing my point. I am not saying later means better. I am saying that the distinctions arose because of new heresies, not because of philosophical musings of unbelieving philosophers as you have been arguing. I am saying Hebrews 1:3 teaches that Jesus has the exact same nature/substance/essence as God and this is a biblical concept that carried through to the 4th century and distinctions in the terms ousia and hypostasis were later developments to handle heresy.
Yes, Jesus now has the same nature/substance as God - one cannot disagree with this as this is the hope of many - 2 Peter 1:4 it was the hope of Jesus Heb 12:2 as it is for all those truly asleep in Christ Jesus today 1 Thess 4:14 & 1 Cor 15:18.

We can argue all day long on the Greek but the reality is plain for all men to understand - Jesus was born of a woman Gal 4:4 and suffered in the flesh (sins flesh) and died and was raised the 3rd day by his Father. Jesus was clothed with immortality as will all obedient the Sons of God, Jesus being the firstfruits of them that sleep the firstborn from the dead.

Sadly, for you wormwood this post resurrection Gospel in Heb 1:3 does not support your Trinitarian dogma with all its variations - you know this deep down and many honest theologians are quick to point this fact to their hearers - you are not honest in this matter.

Christ was the "chief corner stone" (1 Peter 2:6) in the divine purpose, "foreordained before the foundation of the world" (1 Peter 1:20), he was not formed or manifest until "these last times". (2 Peter 1:20). He had no personal existence until he was born of the virgin Mary. (Luke 1:31-35). And throughout his life he was a mortal man like any man - the only difference is this - Isa 50:4 in that God made His Son strong for His purpose Gen 49:24 - God was manifest in the Flesh 1 Tim 3:16 Jesus was justified (made righteous) by the Spirit he was sanctified by His Word which his Father gave him John 10:36

Wormwood, please don't try and combine the Son of Man and Son of God into some philosophical hybrid of beings none of which the Word teaches.

I urge you to stay within the divine boundaries of the Word of Truth and not the teachings of men.

Purity

lforrest said:
Then was Mary's conception by the Holy Spirit just for show?

No, Jesus had no original sin. His flesh is clean, and always has been.
I don't believe in original sin - and your comment regarding the conception of Jesus by the Power of God makes no sense.

nothead

Apr 2, 2014
Yes, we covered that point and you are presenting it in a bit of a misleading way. Subordinationism does not necessarily denote inequality as you are suggesting. Even the article states as much. So, presenting it like the early church did not hold to the divinity of Christ based on concepts of subordination in their writings is a biased and inaccurate depiction of their views.
You are assuming Hanson meant some quasi-subordination, such as 'office of' or 'role' but I disagree to a great degree, even having NO degree, I am endeavoring to prove you wrong. This idea of yours is entirely modern. A man UNDER another in authority is SUBORDINATE to his HEAD who is OVER him. This idea of equality among ranks or roles is entirely missing in the olden times. See the centurion with Jesus. He acted like an equal to him?

Hey, if we are all equal, then my argument must be to yours automatically? See? Bad arguers are UNDER the definitive debaters. Get down Get down. Ooops I just lapsed into song...

No, you are entirely missing my point. I am not saying later means better. I am saying that the distinctions arose because of new heresies, not because of philosophical musings of unbelieving philosophers as you have been arguing.

Untenable, since they started OUT with One God. If God was added to, by Jesus and the Holy Spirit, then naturally a proclamation would come BEFORE 295 years would pass. That Jesus was God and is God. And that now God is plural. This is very obvious to men who know HAVE TO.

Some things HAVE TO occur for the scenario at question to be real. Your scenario has all disiciples and apostles THINKING Jesus is God and then never RECORDING this in gospel or epistle.

Like this statement here, I will give and example in case you might not comprehend: "Jesus is God." Comprehendable? Or say this one by Jesus. "I am God." Whoo HOO!!

Nothead is on a roll. Rollem rollem rollem. Keep them doggies rollen....

I am saying Hebrews 1:3 teaches that Jesus has the exact same nature/substance/essence as God and this is a biblical concept that carried through to the 4th century and distinctions in the terms ousia and hypostasis were later developments to handle heresy. I am not proposing one term is better than the other. I am simply affirming what the words mean and what that implies about the nature of Christ.
Hint: Look at the very first clause in your vaunted verse:

3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

This says it all. Jesus reflects the same glory as his Father the Source of all glory.

So then Paul or the author of Hebrews says all this harangamanga in order just to say Jesus is God? Just say "Jesus is God." He really doesn't have to harangamang at all if they ALL believed this already. How glorious IS God anyway?

REAL glorious? EXPRESSLY glorious? I say HIS power is GOD'S power. But even if not, grammatically, it still COMES from his God's power.

I don't know what "no hypostasis was different from any ousia among men" means. That phrase does not make sense.

I had to open the same site again to find. This was the statement:

Until 385 A.D. or later, no hypostasis was different from any OUSIA among men.

What I meant was that the words meant the same thing. It wasn't until they had to make them mean different things, that the words took on different meanings. And this proves that the divinity issue came up from scratch at this time (325 A.D.) not that the presupposition was challenged by Arius heresy at this time which spurs the distinctions of the meanings between OUSIA and HYPOSTASIS.

See, the word OUSIA itself was the issue at the Council of Nicea, and the only way to convince the ArianISH at the Council was to fudge on the actual meaning of OUSIA. The closer it got, for instance to SPIRIT, the easier it was for the ArianISH to digest. For all knew biblically the Spirit was the very annointing of Jesus.

And too when Trinity popped her awry head out of the beaches of her...um sand...the terms could be stretched back and forth to accomodate a more easily digested divine Christ.

But the solution is simply my solution. Yes Christ was divine and is divine. But he did not share the same SUBSTANCE as God. For who can really say this? And who in their right mind at that time would want to RISK IT? And then TEACH IT?? Jesus is elohim under YHWH Elohim. Simple.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are assuming Hanson meant some quasi-subordination, such as 'office of' or 'role' but I disagree to a great degree, even having NO degree, I am endeavoring to prove you wrong. This idea of yours is entirely modern. A man UNDER another in authority is SUBORDINATE to his HEAD who is OVER him. This idea of equality among ranks or roles is entirely missing in the olden times. See the centurion with Jesus. He acted like an equal to him?
Nothead, nothead, nothead. Why is it that you continually cite sources as evidence for your point, all while disagreeing with the articles or the overall views of those who wrote them? The article implied that subordinationism in the early church does not necessitate inequality and does not prove the early Christians had conflicting views with that of Trinitarians. You quote the source as proof and disagree with the source itself! It's insane!

You should understand that the Bible uses subordination language between a husband and wife. A wife is to "submit" to her husband. The term is a military term implying the rank of a commanding officer over his subordinates (look it up). Yet the Bible clearly teaches in many places that the husband and wife are of equal value to God and are both heirs of eternal life. The same is true with parents and children, or Christians submitting to those in governmental authority as we read in Romans. None of these have to do with innate value or inequality. So no, even in "olden times" subordination did not always mean inequality.

And that now God is plural. This is very obvious to men who know HAVE TO.

Some things HAVE TO occur for the scenario at question to be real. Your scenario has all disiciples and apostles THINKING Jesus is God and then never RECORDING this in gospel or epistle.

Like this statement here, I will give and example in case you might not comprehend: "Jesus is God." Comprehendable? Or say this one by Jesus. "I am God." Whoo HOO!!
No, Trinitarians believe in a triune "God." Not three gods. Oh when oh when will it ever sink in....oh when oh when will it beeee?

That's interesting because Jesus never comes straight out and says, "I am the Messiah" either. The only time he explicitly affirms it is when he is directly asked under trial whether or not he is the Christ, the son of the blessed One. Jesus seems to be more explicit in his claims to divinity in John 8 than he is about his self proclamations of being the Messiah in any of the Gospels.
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

This says it all. Jesus reflects the same glory as his Father the Source of all glory.
So where does it say Jesus "reflects" the brightness of his glory? All I see is that "he is" (eimi - weve seen this word before) the brightness of his glory. Two very different concepts. God wants us to read his Word, not edit it noddy.

So then Paul or the author of Hebrews says all this harangamanga in order just to say Jesus is God? Just say "Jesus is God." He really doesn't have to harangamang at all if they ALL believed this already. How glorious IS God anyway?
Yes, the author of Hebrews is showing the superiority of Jesus, the man, as the final revelation from God, heir of all things, the agent of creation, the radiance of God's glory, and the exact imprint of God's essence that holds everything together by his powerful word.

What you need to recognize is that the author of Hebrews (I don't believe is Paul, see Heb. 2:3) is answering a specific issue that the Hebrew people were dealing with, and that issue was not centered on Christ being God. The issue had to do with the supremacy of Christ over the prophets, the angelic messengers who gave the Law, Moses, the Sabbath, the sacrifices, the Temple, etc. In this argument, the author of Hebrews shows that the man, Jesus, is purpose and active agent behind all things and in this description we see things like - essence of God, radiation of God's glory, purpose of all things, heir of all things, etc. The aim here is to show that the Law, prophets, Moses, Temple, etc do not hold a candle to Jesus and though this discussion the picture is painted that shows Jesus is not just a messenger, but the very essence, brilliance, voice, and power of God. He's not just some dude who lived an exemplary life and he's not somewhere between an angel and a king.

What I meant was that the words meant the same thing. It wasn't until they had to make them mean different things, that the words took on different meanings. And this proves that the divinity issue came up from scratch at this time (325 A.D.) not that the presupposition was challenged by Arius heresy at this time which spurs the distinctions of the meanings between OUSIA and HYPOSTASIS.

See, the word OUSIA itself was the issue at the Council of Nicea, and the only way to convince the ArianISH at the Council was to fudge on the actual meaning of OUSIA. The closer it got, for instance to SPIRIT, the easier it was for the ArianISH to digest. For all knew biblically the Spirit was the very annointing of Jesus.
Id like to see a link to this source because this is very different from the multiple sources I have studied on this matter. The distinction between ousia and hypostasis was one that developed due to Sabellianism, not Arianism. The point of emphasizing the personage of hypostasis was to counter the modalism that suggest that Jesus, the Father and the Spirit were all one person in three different forms. Thus, ousia referred to the substance (one God) and hypostasis referred to the persons (three hypostasis). The development in distinction between ousia and hypostasis had nothing to do with proving Jesus was of divine nature for both terms before and after the 4th century mean "nature, essence."

nothead

Apr 2, 2014
Nothead, nothead, nothead. Why is it that you continually cite sources as evidence for your point, all while disagreeing with the articles or the overall views of those who wrote them? The article implied that subordinationism in the early church does not necessitate inequality and does not prove the early Christians had conflicting views with that of Trinitarians. You quote the source as proof and disagree with the source itself! It's insane!

Hanson was not denying Trinity, he just probably meant it arose as rational construct after Nicea. OR maybe he weren't as orthodox as his peers. At any rate ABSOLUTE subordiationism was the usual construct before 325 A.D. when the shared Homoousia impled equality by substance.

I don't know his exact theology. I am saying even in his day the generation before us, there was no meaning of equality as we hold to now. You were HEAD of your family since all UNDER you were prokuneowing like dojo white belts. Hoping you weren't gonna get spin kicked to submission.

You should understand that the Bible uses subordination language between a husband and wife. A wife is to "submit" to her husband. The term is a military term implying the rank of a commanding officer over his subordinates (look it up). Yet the Bible clearly teaches in many places that the husband and wife are of equal value to God and are both heirs of eternal life. The same is true with parents and children, or Christians submitting to those in governmental authority as we read in Romans. None of these have to do with innate value or inequality. So no, even in "olden times" subordination did not always mean inequality.
LONG, mister Long. Paul said a woman should be silent since her Mother ate the apple and then tempted Adam. This is no rank as you mean it.

And in the military in all ways the green recruit is inequal. All know this, especially since he ain't seen no firefight, mass charge against automatic fire, or bomb/mortars on his foxhole.

For who knows if he ain't gonna go wacko nutsco? Screaming into the night, no use to anyone even his green recruit 'equals' who DON'T panic? Pashaw. That is the sound of your paradigm going bonkers, sir.

Your paradigms do like to go bonkers, sir.

No, Trinitarians believe in a triune "God." Not three gods. Oh when oh when will it ever sink in....oh when oh when will it beeee?
Jesus is God. Father is God. Holy Spirit is God. All humble, simple directly impied inference: All three are God. All Gods are them. They are 3 Gods. How can you see otherwise?

Um yeah, it's a mystery, a conundrum and an incomprehensible something. True or not true, but whatever it is, it is not understood. I get it.

That's interesting because Jesus never comes straight out and says, "I am the Messiah" either. The only time he explicitly affirms it is when he is directly asked under trial whether or not he is the Christ, the son of the blessed One. Jesus seems to be more explicit in his claims to divinity in John 8 than he is about his self proclamations of being the Messiah in any of the Gospels.
LONG mester Long. "I AM HE" to the Samaritan woman. Abraham knew I AM HE before his day. "Who do say I am?" to the disciples. Peter: thou art Christ the Son of the Living God.

And Jesus said "My Father has revealed this unto you." This is plain and simply said. That Jesus is God is NEVER plainly and simply said.

So where does it say Jesus "reflects" the brightness of his glory? All I see is that "he is" (eimi - weve seen this word before) the brightness of his glory. Two very different concepts. God wants us to read his Word, not edit it noddy.
Yeah but where did the GLORY come from, biblically my lonely lunchkin?

[SIZE=.75em]21 [/SIZE]That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
[SIZE=.75em]22 [/SIZE]And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
[SIZE=.75em]23 [/SIZE]I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
[SIZE=.75em]24 [/SIZE]Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

See, the glory is given by the Father to the Son as the Father both has it to begin with, and PLANS for us and Jesus most of all to have this glory even before the world was ever made.

Yes, the author of Hebrews is showing the superiority of Jesus, the man, as the final revelation from God, heir of all things, the agent of creation, the radiance of God's glory, and the exact imprint of God's essence that holds everything together by his powerful word.
You just asked me where REFLECTION came from bro. What do YOU think 'exact imprint' means? The THING ITSELF?? Nein, herr Woormvoot.

What you need to recognize is that the author of Hebrews (I don't believe is Paul, see Heb. 2:3) is answering a specific issue that the Hebrew people were dealing with, and that issue was not centered on Christ being God. The issue had to do with the supremacy of Christ over the prophets, the angelic messengers who gave the Law, Moses, the Sabbath, the sacrifices, the Temple, etc. In this argument, the author of Hebrews shows that the man, Jesus, is purpose and active agent behind all things and in this description we see things like - essence of God, radiation of God's glory, purpose of all things, heir of all things, etc. The aim here is to show that the Law, prophets, Moses, Temple, etc do not hold a candle to Jesus and though this discussion the picture is painted that shows Jesus is not just a messenger, but the very essence, brilliance, voice, and power of God. He's not just some dude who lived an exemplary life and he's not somewhere between an angel and a king.
You were going good until you got to the last nine words and the period, dude. God's Shaliach has the characteristics of God, why, why since he is the ANNOINTED one.

Id like to see a link to this source because this is very different from the multiple sources I have studied on this matter. The distinction between ousia and hypostasis was one that developed due to Sabellianism, not Arianism. The point of emphasizing the personage of hypostasis was to counter the modalism that suggest that Jesus, the Father and the Spirit were all one person in three different forms. Thus, ousia referred to the substance (one God) and hypostasis referred to the persons (three hypostasis). The development in distinction between ousia and hypostasis had nothing to do with proving Jesus was of divine nature for both terms before and after the 4th century mean "nature, essence."

You will see that HYPOSTASIS has very LITTLE parallel to Persons, but that this is modern terp.

Since the old paradigm made so little sense. I will get back to you on references. Purity will no doubt know extensively more than both of us regarding SPECIFIC sources of data.

I start out with right paradgm and the data invariably fits. Don't know why. Just lucky I guess.

NO GUESSING INVOLVED. Shema proves you and your buddies wrong from the git-go, sir.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Wormwood said:
The word "apaugasma" (only here in NT), or "radiant or resplendent light", means intense "brightness", or "effulgence". Barclay effectively paraphrases: "The Son is the radiance of His glory just as the ray is the light of the sun." Other NT writers hold a similar view of Christ. In the prologue of the Gospel of John, Christ is designated as "the true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world" (Joh 1:9), in whom "we have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father" (Joh 1:14). For John, as for our author, Jesus -- the Light of the world (Joh 8:12) -- expresses the brilliant glory of God. There is a distinct moral element in this as well: Paul, too, speaks of the light that Christ brought, referring to "the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ" (2Co 4:6; cp 2Co 4:4)

As a result of his marvellous obedience submitting himself to the will of the Father God has now made him light and life - no longer a light bearer but a light giver - what a way to start this letter!

This of course would be rather pointless if this exalted position was already held by him - ho hum!

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothead,

Your content has clearly dwindled and has devolved almost to the level of Purity's postings on this topic. It seems you have little to add to the discussion anymore other than little humorous tidbits and bouncing up and down on "Shema" like a trampoline. If you have anything more of substance to add to the conversation, we can certainly pick it back up