Deism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

beforHim

Jun 18, 2007
I've been reading Norman Geisler's "Christian Apologetics". In each chp. he discusses a worldview, giving some history, basic tenets, good things about it, what is lacking, and a final summary. (I'm actually quiet pleased at how much philosophy it covers and not just concrete, boring facts. Anyway...) Here's the actual post-I got to the part on Deism. In the section about were deism is lacking, all it seemed to say was that "If there was a hod who cared enough to make the world, then he'd obviously intervene in the world". So really, unless I simply missed something, it seems he didn't give an real incoherence at all about deism. I've been thinking about deism since then, and I'm going to reread it, but in the meantime, I'd like to pose the question:If deism is lacking, then why? If it' incoherent, then why?Thx.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Deism became prominent in the 17th and 18th centuries during the Age of Enlightenment, especially in the United Kingdom, France and the United States, mostly among those raised as Christians who found they could not believe in either a triune God, the divinity of Jesus, miracles, or the inerrancy of scriptures, but who did believe in one god. Initially it did not form any congregations, but in time deism led to the development of other religious groups, such as Unitarianism, which later developed into Unitarian Universalism. It continues to this day in the form of classical deism and modern deism..........Once you deny the miracles, ect of scripture,assume wrongly the Word of God inaccurate or not divinely inspired, If you assume past miracles deeds did not happen neither will future prophecies. Without a belief in the deeds and promises of God one then can call there own belief's a religion.So you have nothing left but teachings and ideas of men. Men following men claiming some divine revelation I call this the basis of cult mentality.

beforHim

Jun 18, 2007
In light of another answer I got on another forum, this makes sense. I'll have to think it through a bit to some conclusions.
smile.gif