Derision

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
About 3 years ago the daughter of a friend was visiting us. About 30 yrs old at the time. Atheist.
I started to tell her something about God. Nothing "invasive" -- I referred to myself.

She told me she didn't want to hear about it and to stop talking about it. It scared me, to tell you the truth. I stopped. It would have only done more harm to continue. I just kept thanking God for everything..this is always good. Just mention the name God or Jesus.
Paul says go to them where they are at, so i dunno

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
as americans we have unusual ideas about physical personal space, that translate to emotional space too; we are much too familiar too soon with people we do not know. it's a codependence thing.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't witness on this board.
I assume I'm speaking to persons who do not need witnessing.
In ALL cases persons should speak with love, especially when attempting to defend their denomination.
Funny thing, years ago on another forum, there was this lady, a "christian", who once wrote to me and told me that I made her mad, than one day, get a call from a friend of mine who received and email from this very same lady, thanking her and me, for what we wrote, for she , "a christian", finally found Christ, changed her life. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Reactions: Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Funny thing, years ago on another forum, there was this lady, a "christian", who once wrote to me and told me that I made her mad, than one day, get a call from a friend of mine who received and email from this very same lady, thanking her and me, for what we wrote, for she , "a christian", finally found Christ, changed her life. Nothing surprises me anymore.
Interesting.
Maybe she was following some formula and wasn't really a Christian but she thought she was.
It's like love. You think it's love till you find real love, then and only then can you see the difference.
I wonder if this is what persons mean when they say someone is a "true Christian"? I've always kind of not liked that expression. To me you're either a Christian or you're not -- maybe I was wrong.

Reactions: Helen

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
a Christian or you're not -- maybe I was wrong.
Youd be surprised

Mat 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

The wheat and teh tares, can be difficult when they all call themselves christians.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
as americans we have unusual ideas about physical personal space, that translate to emotional space too; we are much too familiar too soon with people we do not know. it's a codependence thing.
I'm told I'm very open and friendly.
The other way is to be cold.
I wouldn't go around telling everybody my personal business, but I do think we should be warm to one another.

You would find here (I don't know for sure about the states. I think persons are warmer down south there too) that persons living in the north where it's cold, ARE more cold, and in the south where it's warmer they really are warmer. (from Rome down for anyone interested!)

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Youd be surprised

Mat 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

The wheat and teh tares, can be difficult when they all call themselves christians.
Yeah. When I'm speaking to Catholics (everybody here) I say that I'm a believer because they think they're Christian too.

Yeah. Christian could be the way someone is brought up to. But they don't believe. Maybe believer is a better word??

Reactions: Helen and mjrhealth

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I'm told I'm very open and friendly.
The other way is to be cold.
I wouldn't go around telling everybody my personal business, but I do think we should be warm to one another.

You would find here (I don't know for sure about the states. I think persons are warmer down south there too) that persons living in the north where it's cold, ARE more cold, and in the south where it's warmer they really are warmer. (from Rome down for anyone interested!)
codependents love to give TMI, invade emotional space in other ways, emotional vampires, etc

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
codependents love to give TMI, invade emotional space in other ways, emotional vampires, etc
You explained to me once what a codependent is. I FORGET!!
What's TMI?
Am I an emotional vampire?????
I don't think so.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yeah. When I'm speaking to Catholics (everybody here) I say that I'm a believer because they think they're Christian too.

Yeah. Christian could be the way someone is brought up to. But they don't believe. Maybe believer is a better word??
I can only say this, we must let God remove all that religion, learning. wisdom understanding from us, God needs empty vessels that He can fill, but so few are willing to be emptied, pride is a terrible thing. Remember Jesus with the water into wine, chose teh vessels prepared for God, clean, those He filled with water and that water became teh new wine, and what is that new wine He speaks of,

Joh_2:10 And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.

this one

Act 2:13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

god saved teh best till last, yet many still prefer the old, why Ill never know. Of course this may be teh answer...

Luk_5:39 No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, The old is better.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I can only say this, we must let God remove all that religion, learning. wisdom understanding from us, God needs empty vessels that He can fill, but so few are willing to be emptied, pride is a terrible thing. Remember Jesus with the water into wine, chose teh vessels prepared for God, clean, those He filled with water and that water became teh new wine, and what is that new wine He speaks of,

Joh_2:10 And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.

this one

Act 2:13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

god saved teh best till last, yet many still prefer the old, why Ill never know. Of course this may be teh answer...

Luk_5:39 No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, The old is better.
I do remember that we used to argue about this when I had first come to this forum.

I still have a problem understanding what you mean.
YOU certainly seem to be well-versed !

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nah, I have so many telling me i need, sorry God needs the bible to save, no He doesnt, its like a childs blankie they hang onto when they are scared, or a pacifier that is put in ones mouth as a babe, and God forbid anyone should remove it, there is "hell" to pay, it is so ingrained into "relegion" and teh hearts of men, that they refuse to listen to you unless you quote it. I, we, need to know Jesus, and we can only know Jesus, by spending time with Him and we never give Him enough of our time.

There was a friend of my a SDA, He was called by God, refused teh call preferd his religion, even though He mentioned that I was not the only one who told him. I once had a conversation wth His wife at the time, she started it, as he had gone to drop off the kids, Her words at teh end, and no mention of the bible, was I know what you tell me is true, my husband speaks only of teh bible, you speak from experience, and everything you told me. i was once told by another Christian," used to be her hairdresser". But she also said, " I cant do it, for every time I try bad things happen" you know that bit about the seeds on teh ground and the enemy coming to steal.
when you experience God your life will change, wont stop teh bad things from happening. many I know have had much worse lives than mine, but we can stand because God is faithfull.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do remember that we used to argue about this when I had first come to this forum.

Especially for someone who rejects all doctrine .....

Reactions: bbyrd009

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Nah, I have so many telling me i need, sorry God needs the bible to save, no He doesnt, its like a childs blankie they hang onto when they are scared, or a pacifier that is put in ones mouth as a babe, and God forbid anyone should remove it, there is "hell" to pay, it is so ingrained into "relegion" and teh hearts of men, that they refuse to listen to you unless you quote it. I, we, need to know Jesus, and we can only know Jesus, by spending time with Him and we never give Him enough of our time.

There was a friend of my a SDA, He was called by God, refused teh call preferd his religion, even though He mentioned that I was not the only one who told him. I once had a conversation wth His wife at the time, she started it, as he had gone to drop off the kids, Her words at teh end, and no mention of the bible, was I know what you tell me is true, my husband speaks only of teh bible, you speak from experience, and everything you told me. i was once told by another Christian," used to be her hairdresser". But she also said, " I cant do it, for every time I try bad things happen" you know that bit about the seeds on teh ground and the enemy coming to steal.
when you experience God your life will change, wont stop teh bad things from happening. many I know have had much worse lives than mine, but we can stand because God is faithfull.
I think what you're saying is that some worship the bible more than God.

If that's what you're saying, then, yes, I do agree. Some people hang on to every word as if God sat at a computer and wrote that bible Himself. We should get, from the bible, a general idea of what God wants from us and how He is. We can't really know how God is. He is spirit. Do we even know what that means?

I think I've said here that I had never read the bible when I got saved, and still didn't read it for about 10 years. So I've spent much time with Jesus without the bible.

I don't really know much more. Except there are a lot of theories and things to know that are necessary to know if we want to witness.
Some witness by personal experience and this is maybe the best.
Some answer questions and those answers must be there.
To each his own.

I think I understand you better now.
Maybe.

Reactions: Pisteuo

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Especially for someone who rejects all doctrine .....
I think he means that we need to know God and not the bible....
How does one reject ALL doctrine???
It's so difficult to discuss spiritual matters. We don't all have the same language.

Reactions: bbyrd009

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sorry make it simpler. ever seeing those Karate movies, when the sensei, has his boastful apprentice sitting at the fire, He gives the apprentice a empty glass, and tells him to hold it, than proceeds to fill that glass with water till it overflows, which greatly upsets the apprentice, than the sensei takes teh glass and empty's it, and says to teh apprentice, "when you come to me like this glass, than you will be ready to be taught".

To put i simpler, it is hard for God to change what we already have convinced our selves is truth, even to the point of telling God He is wrong, you would be surprised how many do that.

It like cars, our cars have teh indicators on teh right wipers on teh left. I one got to drive a European car. which made me the joke of my Kids, because teh wipers where on the right and the indicators on the left. so every time i went to indicate I started teh wipers, damned annoying but teh kids though it funny.

It is hard to unconvince the brain of what it is already convinced of, try it one day.