DeSantis signs law ensuring that students can pray before sporting events

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May God bless Governor DeSantis for protecting the rights of citizens from petty, local, tyrants.

Well done. Some High Schools in Florida said a word of prayer before the coin toss and some didn't.

Bama go to the losers bracket in Hoover. Three run Homer in the 11th by Florida .....

We are up next ......War Eagle ...

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our Officiating Crew was made up of one Pastor at Umpire, One Jew operating the scoreboard and clock. Three Protestants and one Lesbian at Back Judge. Guess who asked the Pastor to pray for the crew before we left the locker room? Sharon stopped us one evening and asked that we pray as a group before leaving to take the field. We followed that as a tradition from that moment forward.

TinMan

Mar 26, 2023
Michigan Saginaw
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well done. Some High Schools in Florida said a word of prayer before the coin toss and some didn't.

Bama go to the losers bracket in Hoover. Three run Homer in the 11th by Florida .....

We are up next ......War Eagle ...
What petty local tyrants were stopping the kids?

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What petty local tyrants were stopping the kids?

Every so often .....Anti Christians such as yourself, files a complaint to have the prayers stopped. Admiral Farrogot, a private school, had a complaint filed to halt the playing of the National Anthem .....A donor to the ROTC driven school, bought a new and louder PA System to shut the clowns up. Don't like it? Move ....

I doubt the Wizard of OZ provided you with an actual working heart ......

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May God bless Governor DeSantis for protecting the rights of citizens from petty, local, tyrants.

And when could they not pray?
I was around when prayer in public schools was stopped. I still put my head down and snuck a prayer up to the Lord. Anyone can pray before a game.
What Santis did is agree to formalized prayer. That is the objection.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was around when prayer in public schools was stopped. I still put my head down and snuck a prayer up to the Lord. Anyone can pray before a game.
DeSantis is forcing HIS religion upon everyone else! He completely snubs the Constitutional FREEDOM guarantees.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DeSantis is forcing HIS religion upon everyone else! He completely snubs the Constitutional FREEDOM guarantees.
Yep. I don't think God is impressed.
I could never figure out why we are even praying at sporting events. Is it so our side wins? Is it to pray that no one is injured? If we are playing a sport with a pretty good rate of injury, why are we asking God to spare us? Shouldn't we just not do it in the first place? I mean really, do we have to pray about it?

And can you imagine the cry if the coach were Muslim?

There will come a time of a one world religion, and this forcing is fueling it. For those who think it's gonna get better, I suggest Matt 24

TinMan

Mar 26, 2023
Michigan Saginaw
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reactions: Cassandra

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Nope. A school in Washington FIRED a coach for praying with his players before a game. Florida's new law gives coaches and players FREEDOM to pray IF they want to do so.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope. A school in Washington FIRED a coach for praying with his players before a game. Florida's new law gives coaches and players FREEDOM to pray IF they want to do so.
Again--Anyone can pray--I did it in school. Not aloud. Not formally. I am against any formal prayers. The fact that the law allows coaches to pray--I'm assuming these are vocal prayers-- aloud. I maintain that anyone can pray anywhere,and I bet the coach will do it aloud.

Again I ask, what would happen if the coach is Muslim? Do you want your kid praying to Allah? It has to be fair,

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again--Anyone can pray--I did it in school. Not aloud. Not formally. I am against any formal prayers. The fact that the law allows coaches to pray--I'm assuming these are vocal prayers-- aloud. I maintain that anyone can pray anywhere,and I bet the coach will do it aloud.

Again I ask, what would happen if the coach is Muslim? Do you want your kid praying to Allah? It has to be fair,
The prayer is voluntary. Nobody is forced to participate.

TinMan

Mar 26, 2023
Michigan Saginaw
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No they fired him for making a spectacle of himself and for favoring the players who joined him.

“When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men … but when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your father who is unseen.” Matt 6:5-8

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yep. I don't think God is impressed.
I could never figure out why we are even praying at sporting events. Is it so our side wins? Is it to pray that no one is injured? If we are playing a sport with a pretty good rate of injury, why are we asking God to spare us? Shouldn't we just not do it in the first place? I mean really, do we have to pray about it?

And can you imagine the cry if the coach were Muslim?

There will come a time of a one world religion, and this forcing is fueling it. For those who think it's gonna get better, I suggest Matt 24
Great points....
In a world where so many are suffering and there is abuse and starvation and anguish of nations in all kinds of distress.....praying about a sporting match, so that momentary personal glory can be achieved, is to me the ultimate slap in the face to God....an abuse of what prayer is for.
Prayer is a privilege that God grants to all of us, but that doesn't mean that he hears all prayers, especially when the sport can be violent and often involves serious injury.

Its the same with praying to win a war. In Isaiah 1:15 God said to unfaithful Israel...
"And when you spread out your palms,
I hide my eyes from you.
Although you offer many prayers,
I am not listening;

Your hands are filled with blood."

If anyone thinks that God has nothing better to do in this world, than to glorify humans in their worldly pursuits, then they have no idea who they are praying to....sport has for many become a substitute 'religion'....for others, a substitute for war.

• Love
Reactions: Cassandra

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great points....
In a world where so many are suffering and there is abuse and starvation and anguish of nations in all kinds of distress.....praying about a sporting match, so that momentary personal glory can be achieved, is to me the ultimate slap in the face to God....an abuse of what prayer is for.
Prayer is a privilege that God grants to all of us, but that doesn't mean that he hears all prayers, especially when the sport can be violent and often involves serious injury.

Its the same with praying to win a war. In Isaiah 1:15 God said to unfaithful Israel...
"And when you spread out your palms,
I hide my eyes from you.
Although you offer many prayers,
I am not listening;

Your hands are filled with blood."

If anyone thinks that God has nothing better to do in this world, than to glorify humans in their worldly pursuits, then they have no idea who they are praying to....sport has for many become a substitute 'religion'....for others, a substitute for war.

For many teenage athletes their success in sports can provide them scholarships and paths to better lives.

Do you believe it's ok for a person to pray to God before a job interview?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
For many teenage athletes their success in sports can provide them scholarships and paths to better lives.

Do you believe it's ok for a person to pray to God before a job interview?
To me, prayer is given so that we may ask our Heavenly Father for wisdom and foresight when making important choices in life. Those choices can impact on our lives in a positive or negative way, so asking for guidance from his word is always a good idea.....but prayer for the outcome of a sporting match mocks the sanctity of it.

We live in a very different world today than in times past when people relied on a college education to secure a permanent job. The obsession with degrees has overtaken the demand for the jobs they can fill, which is why we see so many university educated young men and women waiting on tables, bar tending and holding down other jobs for which they are way overqualified. In this dog eat dog world, scholarships are not the be all and end all of a person’s ability to earn a living....and that is the important thing....no one has the right to ask God for a lifestyle.....as Paul said...

“To be sure, there is great gain in godly devotion along with contentment. 7 For we have brought nothing into the world, and neither can we carry anything out. 8 So, having food and clothing, we will be content with these things.
9 But those who are determined to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and many senseless and harmful desires that plunge men into destruction and ruin. 10 For the love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things, and by reaching out for this love some have been led astray from the faith and have stabbed themselves all over with many pains.”
(1 Tim 6:6-10)

For a Christian, Jesus was our model...humble and not materialistic, raised by poor parents who worked hard to provide for their family. They put the worship of God first in their lives and understood the folly of endlessly chasing after material things.
In the Lord’s Prayer, Jesus showed us the appropriate things to pray for.....
He said, “pray this way”....
“Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed by thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.....”

All of the first and most important things were about God and his name, his will, and the coming of his kingdom, prayer for daily necessities was down on the list. Forgiveness for the things we have done wrong is dependent upon our forgiving others. And to help us to identify temptations from the devil so as to act wisely....all these are the things to pray for.

The world does not promote contentment with life’s necessities....it promotes the love of money and discontent with everything if it’s not the latest and best....an endless treadmill of wants, not needs.

When Jesus prayed, it was about important things, not viewing God as some kind of a genie who grants wishes....especially if it’s for self aggrandisement.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If the coach refused to adhere to the conditions of his employment, then he has also violated the Scriptural command to obey those in authority over us!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the coach refused to adhere to the conditions of his employment, then he has also violated the Scriptural command to obey those in authority over us!

There were no "conditions" forbidding prayer with his players before a game.

Besides, were low-level Nazis without sin because they obeyed the governing authorities as they forced Jews into gas chambers?