Deuteronomy 21:1-9

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
This sounds crazy I know, but read with me

21 If someone is found slain, lying in a field in the land the Lord your God is giving you to possess, and it is not known who the killer was, 2 your elders and judges shall go out and measure the distance from the body to the neighboring towns. 3 Then the elders of the town nearest the body shall take a heifer that has never been worked and has never worn a yoke 4 and lead it down to a valley that has not been plowed or planted and where there is a flowing stream. There in the valley they are to break the heifer’s neck. 5 The Levitical priests shall step forward, for the Lord your God has chosen them to minister and to pronounce blessings in the name of the Lord and to decide all cases of dispute and assault. 6 Then all the elders of the town nearest the body shall wash their hands over the heifer whose neck was broken in the valley, 7 and they shall declare: “Our hands did not shed this blood, nor did our eyes see it done. 8 Accept this atonement for your people Israel, whom you have redeemed, Lord, and do not hold your people guilty of the blood of an innocent person.” Then the bloodshed will be atoned for, 9 and you will have purged from yourselves the guilt of shedding innocent blood, since you have done what is right in the eyes of the Lord.

Focus on the fact that Jesus is referred to as a lamb, and in the context of salvation, when is a heifer ever referred to as a symbol of Christ? Does anyone understand why I think this verse has to do with the end times? And if you think I'm crazy, you're probably right. But if you know why I'm crazy, you might now be too.

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
I guess I think the heifer has to do with a type of Christ, most likely the church. Whereas the metaphor of a lamb being sacrificed pertains to Christ, I believe this metaphor pertains to the church. But, with reference to what? Still crazy I guess.

Here's one reference to how heifer is used elsewhere in scripture. Interesting how the symbolism still pertains with the reference to lambs.
Hosea 4:16 "The Israelites are stubborn, like a stubborn heifer. How then can the LORD pasture them like lambs in a meadow?"

On the area of there are no rhetorical questions in the Bible, I would say to answer that question Hosea is giving, that God needs an obedient heifer to act like a lamb. Anyone get what I'm saying? Someone do a heifer study and see what you find.

Editing to post more in my heifer study.

19 The Lord said to Moses and Aaron: [sup]2 [/sup]“This is a requirement of the law that the Lord has commanded: Tell the Israelites to bring you a red heifer without defect or blemish and that has never been under a yoke. [sup]3 [/sup]Give it to Eleazar the priest; it is to be taken outside the camp and slaughtered in his presence. [sup]4 [/sup]Then Eleazar the priest is to take some of its blood on his finger and sprinkle it seven times toward the front of the tent of meeting. [sup]5 [/sup]While he watches, the heifer is to be burned—its hide, flesh, blood and intestines. [sup]6 [/sup]The priest is to take some cedar wood, hyssop and scarlet wool and throw them onto the burning heifer. [sup]7 [/sup]After that, the priest must wash his clothes and bathe himself with water. He may then come into the camp, but he will be ceremonially unclean till evening. [sup]8 [/sup]The man who burns it must also wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he too will be unclean till evening.
[sup]9 [/sup]“A man who is clean shall gather up the ashes of the heifer and put them in a ceremonially clean place outside the camp. They are to be kept by the Israelite community for use in the water of cleansing; it is for purification from sin.

WTF? For the purification from sin, what the hell is he talking about? Anyone?

Also Anyone get the symbolism of why this is being done "Outside the camp?"

Also, sorry to anyone who reads my post in under 15 minutes of when I post them, I'm always spending that time editing and clarifying, it's how I process/clarify my own info.

I left out verse 10, which is pretty key in the last verse I gave

Numbers 19:10
The man who gathers up the ashes of the heifer must also wash his clothes, and he too will be unclean till evening. This will be a lasting ordinance both for the Israelites and for the "foreigners residing among them."

I put quotes around the part I find most interesting pertaining to what I'm talking about. God's plan of salvation has been seen as early as this. Maybe before, but I'm not sure yet in studying.

My next verse in the heifer study

Judges 14:18
Before sunset on the seventh day the men of the town said to him, “What is sweeter than honey? What is stronger than a lion?” Samson said to them, “If you had not plowed with my heifer, you would not have solved my riddle.”

Interesting that his heifer is his non Israelite wife in this sense. Could be a clue to the context of how the word is used scripturally.

You have 3 clues so far at least having to do with this context. Heifer's are not Jews and Israelites by nature, they are taken outside the camp which leads me to believe it has to do with salvation of both Israelites and non Israelite, I believe the spotless nature of the heifer has to do with a non jewish Christian, or maybe even a Christian Jew but I don't think so.

1 Samuel 16:2
But Samuel said, “How can I go? If Saul hears about it, he will kill me.” The LORD said, “Take a heifer with you and say, ‘I have come to sacrifice to the LORD.’

Interesting, though I'm not sure why he needs a heifer to be sacrificed in this situation. Doesn't seem to fit.

Jeremiah 46:20
“Egypt is a beautiful heifer, but a gadfly is coming against her from the north.

Next up, Egypt, an outside nation is referred to as a heifer, a beautiful one at that.

Jeremiah 50:11
“Because you rejoice and are glad, you who pillage my inheritance, because you frolic like a heifer threshing grain and neigh like stallions,

WOW- Anyone get this verse? A heifer pertaining to pillaging His inheritance? So Heifers pertaining to Christian's taking salvation where it originally pertained strictly to the Jews? Anyone get where I'm going with this.

Hosea 10:11
Ephraim is a trained heifer that loves to thresh; so I will put a yoke on her fair neck. I will drive Ephraim, Judah must plow, and Jacob must break up the ground.

Here is where one of God's nations is actually referred to as a heifer, however notice the verse "I will put a yoke on her fair neck". Why is it important that God according to the verses about heifers in the first 5 books of the Bible concerning sacrifice, requires heifers that have not been yoked? It has to do with purpose of ministry within the body of Christ.

Hebrews 9:13
The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that they are outwardly clean.

That verse makes me think the blood of everyone but jews is used to sanctify the works of the Jews. Maybe.

The only new testament mention I found of the heifer. Now pertaining to sanctification. Notice the symbolism of the goats and bulls, which I haven't studied yet or as much.

That completes my study for now, kinda crazy. If you feel like you got anything from this, let me know.

I can't seem to find the edit button again, but the verse I posted towards the top under 19 is in numbers, cut of the reference there, sorry.

Now I'm not sure exactly where goats and bulls are through all of this, I could use a goat and bull study, pertaining to biblical sacrifice. I always assumed goats had to do with a type of anti Christ, and that bulls have to do with nations that are not Israel, but that's without studying in depth.

Question, who is responsible for Christ's death. And if you can't identify who's responsible, what category of sin does his murder fall under?

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
That heifer represented a way of atonement per the Old Covenant, not The New Covenant.

And notice there it by no means cleared the blood guilt of the one who did kill the person that was slain. It only atoned for the people living around the discovered dead body. And if one of those were guilty, and still swore they didn't, that doesn't necessarily mean that person is going to be free of it at the Judgment.

Christ revealed who was responsible for His crucifixion in Matt.23 and in John 8.

tgwprophet

Jul 9, 2011
Lehigh Acres, Florida
An all red heifer was used to begin the Daily Sacrifice then successive Daily Sacrifices allowed other non-all-red heifers to be used, meaning the possibility of other animals, but the ashes from the first Sarifice, meaning the ashes of the all red heifer, were mingled with the new Sacrifice and as Veteran stated was atonement for sins. A hot topic in the ninetie was Israel's quest to find an all red heifer in order to begin their Daily Sacrifice. Next. it was claimed that the Jews was in search of an urn that contained ashes from the original Sacrifice of an all red heifer. It has been quite a whle since I researched this, primarily because it is simple to just look and see if the Daily Sacrifice has began andwith all the attention that would entail, I expect it would make world news.

tgwprophet

Jul 9, 2011
Lehigh Acres, Florida
There is more... I have read the claims of many theologians of prophecy stating the Temple had to be built before the Daily Scarifice, yet I have the beast stopping the Daily Sacrifice 30 day before the cornerstone is set... so begining the building of the Temple. See, the Alater upon which the Daily Sacrifice is burnt should not reside inside the Temple... think about going inside for a seat to be driven out of the Temple due to the smoke from the Sacrifice. Also, i never read any scripture claiming the Altar... built from un-hewn stones is located inside the Temple... so expect it to be in the courtyard.

The Rock inside the Dome of the Rock is supposed to be the place Mohammed ascended to heaven on a white? horse. I think that below is where they should look for the remains of his horse and him... perhaps him and his horse was drunk and fell off....lol..hic!

The simplicity of reasoning can often become so tainted and obscured by one's desire to believe things must have been more complex...that understanding i lost.
here is an example...

One can google these....
1 - When an immoveable object meets and unstoppable force.. what happens?
2 - when an immoveable object meets an unstoppable object... what happens?
3 - when an immoveable force meets an unstoppable force.. what happens?

Their answer is much different than mine and theirs require a great deal of math.. mine does not.

my answer...
1 - when an immoveable objec meets an unstoppable force... the force passes through.
2 - when an immoveable object meets and unstoppable object... they exchange protocol
3 - no such thing as an immoveable force... for it to be a force it requires movement

Mathematicians think that when an almost unstoppable object meets an almost unstoppbale force that it is quite different than when they are unstoppable and unmoveable... but I say what is the dramatic change achieved when you dive into a pool and become 99.999% wet verses 100% wet? Do you implode? Explode? or just get a little wetter? Dang...no math required.