Did Jesus claim to be God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is. 48:16 - Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD [Jehovah], and his spirit, hath sent me. - KJV. (see #315 above)

Commenting on this scripture some trinitarians will say: "The speaker of Is. 48:16 is Jehovah as identified by context in the first part of the verse and as shown by his identification in verse 17 where he continues to speak. But notice that Jehovah, who is speaking, says: `The Lord GOD [Jehovah] ... hath sent me.' Therefore there must be at least two persons who are Jehovah!"

The answer to such "proof" is obvious: "speaker confusion." Isaiah, like most other Bible writers, often interspersed the conversation of one person with statements by others and often doesn't identify the new speakers. Very often they appear to be comments by Isaiah himself.

That this is very likely the case here is shown, not only by context, but by these Bible translations: The RSV and the NIV Bibles show by quotation marks and indenting that Isaiah himself made the final comment in Is. 48:16.

Quotation marks in NLT, ESV, TEV, Tanakh, Holman Christian Standard Bible, ICB, New Century Version, and THE MESSAGE also show the last part of Is.48:16 to be a new speaker (not Jehovah).

The NAB (1970 and 1991 versions) also indicates a new speaker there, and, in the St. Joseph edition of the NAB, a footnote for Is. 48:16 tells us that the final statement was made by Cyrus! And the very trinitarian Holy Bible: Easy-to-Read Version, World Bible Translation Center, 1992, comes right out and says at Is. 48:16,

" 'Come here and listen to me! ... from the beginning, I spoke clearly, so that people could know what I said.' Then Isaiah said, `Now the Lord [Jehovah] my master sends me and his Spirit to tell you these things.' "

The New English Bible (NEB), The Revised English Bible (REB), and the Bible translation by Dr. James Moffatt (Mo) consider the last statement of Is. 48:16 to be spurious and leave it out of their translations entirely.

Certainly these mostly trinitarian translations would have rendered this scripture (and punctuated it accordingly) to show a two-Jehovah meaning (or given such an alternate rendering in the footnotes) if their trinitarian translators had thought there was even the slightest justification for such an interpretation! (Also analyze Jer. 51:19 - Jacob is the former of all things - Jehovah of hosts is his name, according to this trinitarian-type "speaker confusion" reasoning!)

"The prophet himself [Isaiah], as a type of the great prophet, asserts his own commission to deliver this message: Now the Lord God (the same that spoke from the beginning and did not speak in secret) has by his Spirit sent me, v. 16." - Matthew Henry Complete Commentary on the Whole Bible, Isaiah Chapter 48 verse 16.

When trinitarian scholars and translators deny a trinity 'proof,' it is certain that said 'proof' is not a proof at all.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is. 48:16 - Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD [Jehovah], and his spirit, hath sent me. - KJV. (see #315 above)

Commenting on this scripture some trinitarians will say: "The speaker of Is. 48:16 is Jehovah as identified by context in the first part of the verse and as shown by his identification in verse 17 where he continues to speak. But notice that Jehovah, who is speaking, says: `The Lord GOD [Jehovah] ... hath sent me.' Therefore there must be at least two persons who are Jehovah!"

The answer to such "proof" is obvious: "speaker confusion." Isaiah, like most other Bible writers, often interspersed the conversation of one person with statements by others and often doesn't identify the new speakers. Very often they appear to be comments by Isaiah himself.

That this is very likely the case here is shown, not only by context, but by these Bible translations: The RSV and the NIV Bibles show by quotation marks and indenting that Isaiah himself made the final comment in Is. 48:16.

Quotation marks in NLT, ESV, TEV, Tanakh, Holman Christian Standard Bible, ICB, New Century Version, and THE MESSAGE also show the last part of Is.48:16 to be a new speaker (not Jehovah).

The NAB (1970 and 1991 versions) also indicates a new speaker there, and, in the St. Joseph edition of the NAB, a footnote for Is. 48:16 tells us that the final statement was made by Cyrus! And the very trinitarian Holy Bible: Easy-to-Read Version, World Bible Translation Center, 1992, comes right out and says at Is. 48:16,

" 'Come here and listen to me! ... from the beginning, I spoke clearly, so that people could know what I said.' Then Isaiah said, `Now the Lord [Jehovah] my master sends me and his Spirit to tell you these things.' "

The New English Bible (NEB), The Revised English Bible (REB), and the Bible translation by Dr. James Moffatt (Mo) consider the last statement of Is. 48:16 to be spurious and leave it out of their translations entirely.

Certainly these mostly trinitarian translations would have rendered this scripture (and punctuated it accordingly) to show a two-Jehovah meaning (or given such an alternate rendering in the footnotes) if their trinitarian translators had thought there was even the slightest justification for such an interpretation! (Also analyze Jer. 51:19 - Jacob is the former of all things - Jehovah of hosts is his name, according to this trinitarian-type "speaker confusion" reasoning!)

"The prophet himself [Isaiah], as a type of the great prophet, asserts his own commission to deliver this message: Now the Lord God (the same that spoke from the beginning and did not speak in secret) has by his Spirit sent me, v. 16." - Matthew Henry Complete Commentary on the Whole Bible, Isaiah Chapter 48 verse 16.

When trinitarian scholars and translators deny a trinity 'proof,' it is certain that said 'proof' is not a proof at all.
first thanks for the reply, but an ERROR in your response. Isaiah was not speaking here, but the LORD JESUS. for the verse before this one destroys an Isaiah speaking. Isaiah 48:15 "I, even I, have spoken; yea, I have called him: I have brought him, and he shall make his way prosperous." well that just killed any Isaiah speaking, because Isaiah couldn't even make his own way prosperous less anyone else.

PICJAG.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NOW, for anyone who say that the Lord Jesus is NOT, I say again is NOT the Lord God here in Is. 48:16. I have asked this before, and some just cannot understand. the Lord God here in Isaiah 48:15 is the Lord JESUS HIMSELF... without flesh, without bone, and without BLOOD..... :eek:

yes, God is Jesus the Christ. Acts 17:24 "God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"

God is "Lord?" ... YES, the only God.... :D thomas said it best, John 20:28 "And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God."
Oooop's there's that "Lord", and "God". .... (smile).

PICJAG

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lets get the Revelation here, from the Book of Revelation. WHO IS the "Lord God". the Apostle Peter say it's the Lord Jesus, who made all things. well John in Revelation wrote, meaning it is in (WRITTING, AND IT WANT CHANGE), states that Jesus is the Lord God who sent his Angel to John.

how many way must the bible say JESUS is Lord, and God. you say you believe the bible, ok... so what's the problem?

PICJAG.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is Spirit and Jesus is the embodiment of the Spirit.
That is what I have been saying all along....

4 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
thanks for the reply, but lets check the record.
your first mistake, God came, because he, God "was" sent. lets check the record as to who came. Isaiah 35:4 "Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; he will come and save you."

who came and saved us? your answer please.

PICJAG.
Exactly.

God came THROUGH Jesus Christ....

4 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What did God say?, Hebrews 1:6 "And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him." (smile)........ and HIM here is the Lord Jesus. is this confirmed in scriptures?

Acts 17:24 "God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"
Acts 17:25 "Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;"

WHO MADE ALL THINGS? let's check the record, John 1:3 "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made." WHO IS THE "HIM" HERE?

PICJAG.
The spoken word of God, which is God.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are body, soul and spirit, and we are made in the image and likeness of God. Genesis 1:26 and elsewhere.

We are a tripartite being and so is God on earth.
Only in spirit, are we in the likeness of God.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is what I have been saying all along....

No it is not what you say. You deny the pre-existence of Jesus the WORD, as creator.

There is a name for that cult, but I forget what it is.

Something else you do, along with a lot of other people, is that you quote scripture out of context. The verse you gave is not about the eternal nature of Christ.

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No it is not what you say. You deny the pre-existence of Jesus the WORD, as creator.

There is a name for that cult, but I forget what it is.

Something else you do, along with a lot of other people, is that you quote scripture out of context. The verse you gave is not about the eternal nature of Christ.
No, I do not deny the preexistence of the man Christ Jesus from the foundation of the world.... in the mind of God, which is reality to God.

God has always made things and acted THROUGH His human son in eternity....

"For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:"

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."

"All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made."

"And saying, Sirs, why do ye these things? We also are men of like passions with you, and preach unto you that ye should turn from these vanities unto the living God, which made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are therein:"

"God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands . . . For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring."

"For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen."

"But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him."

"And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:"

"For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist."

"God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he(God) made the worlds; Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;"

God can do that because He created time and can transcend it.

God is smart.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
now the last edification,
God came THROUGH Jesus Christ....

4 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness

God came THROUGH Jesus Christ?..... (smile)

did you not say, "The spoken word of God, which is God". so if the spoken word of God IS GOD, please tell us how he came through his ownself... meaning his Word. for, Acts 17:24 "God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"
DID HE GO THROUGH HIS WORD WHEN HE MADE ALL THINGS? NO, AND YOU OR ANYONE ELSE CANNOT USE Colossians 1:16 AS GOD WENT THROUGH HIS WORD AND HERE'S WHY, LISTEN. Isaiah 44:24 "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;"

Alone means no one else was there, meaning he did not go "THROUGH" anyone, and meaning that there are no other person beside ..... "HIM"

so all of your statements and posts are irrelevant and irrelevant meaningless. in tew words of the People ...... your statements are FALSE DOCTRINE
meaning untrue.

PICJAG.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How so?
God came THROUGH Jesus Christ.... NO he DIDN'T, he shared himself, THAT'S HOW SO. :eek:

PICJAG.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
now the last edification,

God came THROUGH Jesus Christ?..... (smile)

did you not say, "The spoken word of God, which is God". so if the spoken word of God IS GOD, please tell us how he came through his ownself... meaning his Word. for, Acts 17:24 "God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"
DID HE GO THROUGH HIS WORD WHEN HE MADE ALL THINGS? NO, AND YOU OR ANYONE ELSE CANNOT USE Colossians 1:16 AS GOD WENT THROUGH HIS WORD AND HERE'S WHY, LISTEN. Isaiah 44:24 "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;"

Alone means no one else was there, meaning he did not go "THROUGH" anyone, and meaning that there are no other person deside ..... "HIM"

so all of your statements and posts are irrelevant and irrelevant meaningless. in tew words of the People ...... your statements are FALSE DOCTRINE
meaning untrue.

PICJAG.
No, God spake THROUGH Jesus Christ...

1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;...

....which God also made the worlds BY/THROUGH.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God came THROUGH Jesus Christ.... NO he DIDN'T, he shared himself, THAT'S HOW SO. :eek:

PICJAG.
19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

Shared Himself?